planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:28 pm

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4445
One ride with new cables is enough to stretch them enough to make either braking or gear shifting dreadful. Remember, when you adjust gear cables its normally no more than 1mm that makes the difference.

With new cables I ride up and down my road shifting constantly and braking really hard. They can then be sorted before I venture further afield.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:50 am
Posts: 627
SchumieRules wrote:
Jezick wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Beautiful mate!

I just got my new front light today, 6800 lumens (alleged).

It's going to melt the faces of the oncoming drivers in similar fashion to the Ark in Indiana Jones!!!


Think I know the one you went for :) All the Cree's are bright. I started with single led cree on handle bar and 2nd on head. Each rated at 1800lm..... way bright enough. God help any drivers with 6800!!!!!

Be aware though loads of Crees have been 'recalled' due to dangerous chargers and faulty battery packs. Charger can cause battery to explode and batteries expire prematurely.


You kind of scared me now!

The reviews were all ok, not one saying a bad thing about the battery. So at least I take heart from that.

I can tell you one thing though, drivers respected me last night!!!!!


I only found out when I got a recall letter for one i bought via Amazon ('supplied by')which said chance of explosion! I got no recall for an identical one also bought from Amazon but with a different 'background' supplier :lol: I also bought 3 direct from china a while back. Two batteries have died from the lot but they are not expensive to replace so don't worry.

Recall letter claim its the charger while internet electrical 'experts' claim its the small pcb in the battery pack. I'll take apart a dead battery pack one day to see and at least salvage good cells.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8028
Jezick wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Jezick wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:
Beautiful mate!

I just got my new front light today, 6800 lumens (alleged).

It's going to melt the faces of the oncoming drivers in similar fashion to the Ark in Indiana Jones!!!


Think I know the one you went for :) All the Cree's are bright. I started with single led cree on handle bar and 2nd on head. Each rated at 1800lm..... way bright enough. God help any drivers with 6800!!!!!

Be aware though loads of Crees have been 'recalled' due to dangerous chargers and faulty battery packs. Charger can cause battery to explode and batteries expire prematurely.


You kind of scared me now!

The reviews were all ok, not one saying a bad thing about the battery. So at least I take heart from that.

I can tell you one thing though, drivers respected me last night!!!!!


I only found out when I got a recall letter for one i bought via Amazon ('supplied by')which said chance of explosion! I got no recall for an identical one also bought from Amazon but with a different 'background' supplier :lol: I also bought 3 direct from china a while back. Two batteries have died from the lot but they are not expensive to replace so don't worry.

Recall letter claim its the charger while internet electrical 'experts' claim its the small pcb in the battery pack. I'll take apart a dead battery pack one day to see and at least salvage good cells.


Wow, good luck!

I'll pm you the one I got as well, just fyi!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Posts: 1731
Asphalt_World wrote:
One ride with new cables is enough to stretch them enough to make either braking or gear shifting dreadful. Remember, when you adjust gear cables its normally no more than 1mm that makes the difference.

With new cables I ride up and down my road shifting constantly and braking really hard. They can then be sorted before I venture further afield.


Cool I'll try the bike out again this weekend. This week though I'm doing a lot of cycling on an electric bike in Tokyo :D

The streets here accommodate general cycling so well and people just leave their bikes anywhere so trusting!

_________________
Pathfinder


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4445
Rather like this picture.

Image

Anyone done any fun rides recently?

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Posts: 1731
Lol nice pic. I did my longest ride ever last weekend.... 30 miles lol. Totalled about 90 miles that week so felt I had no power by the time I got to the weekend. Generally Felt brilliant though, shame the weather is running things so I haven't been out at all.

_________________
Pathfinder


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8028
Went to the dreaded Quantocks a few weeks back. In 12 miles we had more elevation gain than the whole 70 miles of the London to Brighton route!!!

Doing the London night-ride in two weeks, is anyone else doing it/has done it in the past?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Posts: 1731
What's the London night ride is that when cyclists take over the streets of London?

_________________
Pathfinder


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1390
After realising that I have been riding around with my Rockshox the wrong way round. (now I know why my pedals were hitting the front tyre) I found this. At least I am not the only one.

http://bicycleshapedobject.wordpress.com/hall-of-shame/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 8:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8028
f1madman wrote:
What's the London night ride is that when cyclists take over the streets of London?


It's a charity ride:

http://www.nightrider.org.uk/Nightrider__London.htm

12 days to go


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Posts: 1731
runningman67 wrote:
After realising that I have been riding around with my Rockshox the wrong way round. (now I know why my pedals were hitting the front tyre) I found this. At least I am not the only one.

http://bicycleshapedobject.wordpress.com/hall-of-shame/


:lol: :lol: that's hilarious!..... I better check my forks!

Does anyone else get cramps in their calf muscles? I only cycle 20 miles in total today, 10 miles each way to and from work, and although I didn't feel tired I kept getting twitches of cramps when trying to do little bursts of power.
Very odd, hoping tomorrow my legs behave themselves.

_________________
Pathfinder


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8028
f1madman wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
After realising that I have been riding around with my Rockshox the wrong way round. (now I know why my pedals were hitting the front tyre) I found this. At least I am not the only one.

http://bicycleshapedobject.wordpress.com/hall-of-shame/


:lol: :lol: that's hilarious!..... I better check my forks!

Does anyone else get cramps in their calf muscles? I only cycle 20 miles in total today, 10 miles each way to and from work, and although I didn't feel tired I kept getting twitches of cramps when trying to do little bursts of power.
Very odd, hoping tomorrow my legs behave themselves.


It is important to try and stretch after your ride. Also, cramps come as a result of not hydrating enough or not eating properly if I'm not mistaken.

My bike came back from servicing. My pocket is £312 lighter now...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Posts: 1731
OMG, did they get her majesty to oil the chains?

I'm guessing there were some expensive replaced parts?

_________________
Pathfinder


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4445
Blimey. What do you get for £300 in a service?

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8028
Service itself is £120. It is the only Shimano approved specialist in the area and this is a full service, i.e. strip it down to the ball bearings. Cleaned it, trued the rear wheel, etc. Then I had the fork remote lockout changed as it was stuck. The biggest one was the chain and rear cassette, plus two new pairs of disk pads (Formula Ones, quite expensive). But the job the did on the bike is amazing, it is like it is brand new. The wheels actually rotate freely instead of grinding to a halt after a couple of rotations. And since I have a big trip coming up, I thought it would be worht the while.

Will try it tonight on the charity cycle. Wooohooo


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4445
Ah OK. if you're replacing parts as well, fair enough. Good luck tonight.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Posts: 1731
Yeah I guess a good service can't be under appreciated.

This is where I cycled a few weeks ago. Really does make a difference cycling with a partner. The other day a work mate caught up with me on the commute to work, and the second half of the journey flew by just chatting and stuff!

Image

_________________
Pathfinder


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:22 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8028
Thanks. We cycled 7 miles to the train station and then did the 60 miles: it was fantastic. Very well organised.

Then we decided that we should cycle back. The whole 24 miles!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1390
My wife said that I love my bike more than her. I reassured her that I love them both equally.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4445
runningman67 wrote:
My wife said that I love my bike more than her. I reassured her that I love them both equally.


My dream bedroom. (From a cycling point of view of course!!!!!!!)

Image

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1390
Asphalt_World wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
My wife said that I love my bike more than her. I reassured her that I love them both equally.


My dream bedroom. (From a cycling point of view of course!!!!!!!)

Image


Where did you get that picture of my wife !!!

Seriously, that picture will be etched into my memory forever! I owe you a pint 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8028
Asphalt, Kudos if you could even get out of bed to go cycling...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:59 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:14 pm
Posts: 1731
SchumieRules wrote:
Asphalt, Kudos if you could even get out of bed to go cycling...


:lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
Pathfinder


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1390
Always wear a helmet. I came off today on wet cobbles. Apart from sore wrist, knee and ankles, my head is OK thanks to my helmet, which now has a crack in it. I was travelling at 10 mph max


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4445
runningman67 wrote:
Always wear a helmet. I came off today on wet cobbles. Apart from sore wrist, knee and ankles, my head is OK thanks to my helmet, which now has a crack in it. I was travelling at 10 mph max


Glad you're pretty much OK. Hate to think where you'd be if your head had hit the ground without a helmet.

Never heard one good reason to not wear one.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1390
Asphalt_World wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
Always wear a helmet. I came off today on wet cobbles. Apart from sore wrist, knee and ankles, my head is OK thanks to my helmet, which now has a crack in it. I was travelling at 10 mph max


Glad you're pretty much OK. Hate to think where you'd be if your head had hit the ground without a helmet.

Never heard one good reason to not wear one.


Thanks Asphalt. As I hit the deck I actually felt and heard the helmet hit the ground and in that split second I knew it had done its job. Quite a surreal experience.

Forgot to mention a buckle front wheel :?

Wet greasy cobbles which are under a tree line are lethal at any speed. Lesson learnt.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4445
As a true cyclist, my first thought was to ask if your bike was OK!...... Are the frame and components OK?

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4445
Wrong thread.....

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Last edited by Asphalt_World on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1390
Asphalt_World wrote:
As a true cyclist, my first thought was to ask if your bike was OK!...... Are the frame and components OK?


Haha All seems well, other than the wheel. Plus there were no witnesses, even better !! Took a while to dust myself down and get back on the saddle , but we always do, dont we mate 8)

James Rodriguez is some talent


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 5289
Out of interest, anyone here coming to Yorkshire to watch some of the 1st legs of the Tour de France this year?

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1390
minchy wrote:
Out of interest, anyone here coming to Yorkshire to watch some of the 1st legs of the Tour de France this year?


I'm in York on Saturday. Complete fluke. Booked a cottage near there for a weekend break. Didn't realise, honest 8O


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 5289
runningman67 wrote:
minchy wrote:
Out of interest, anyone here coming to Yorkshire to watch some of the 1st legs of the Tour de France this year?


I'm in York on Saturday. Complete fluke. Booked a cottage near there for a weekend break. Didn't realise, honest 8O

My guest house is right on the route in York on the Sunday.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1390
minchy wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
minchy wrote:
Out of interest, anyone here coming to Yorkshire to watch some of the 1st legs of the Tour de France this year?


I'm in York on Saturday. Complete fluke. Booked a cottage near there for a weekend break. Didn't realise, honest 8O

My guest house is right on the route in York on the Sunday.


Wow, beautiful place to live mate.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8028
runningman67 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
Always wear a helmet. I came off today on wet cobbles. Apart from sore wrist, knee and ankles, my head is OK thanks to my helmet, which now has a crack in it. I was travelling at 10 mph max


Glad you're pretty much OK. Hate to think where you'd be if your head had hit the ground without a helmet.

Never heard one good reason to not wear one.


Thanks Asphalt. As I hit the deck I actually felt and heard the helmet hit the ground and in that split second I knew it had done its job. Quite a surreal experience.

Forgot to mention a buckle front wheel :?

Wet greasy cobbles which are under a tree line are lethal at any speed. Lesson learnt.


I really don't like the cobbles, so slippery. Glad you are ok


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1390
SchumieRules wrote:

I really don't like the cobbles, so slippery. Glad you are ok


Thanks. Back on the bike tonight, buckled wheel fixed £8. Its a drug, as you guys already know.

Training for the Manchester 100 (miles) on a 29er mtb . (I'll be putting 700 38 mm road tyres on)

Any tips on energy gels/ drinks to ward of fatigue.

Been a long time since my endurance running days. Nutrition has moved on.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4445
runningman67 wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:

I really don't like the cobbles, so slippery. Glad you are ok


Thanks. Back on the bike tonight, buckled wheel fixed £8. Its a drug, as you guys already know.

Training for the Manchester 100 (miles) on a 29er mtb . (I'll be putting 700 38 mm road tyres on)

Any tips on energy gels/ drinks to ward of fatigue.

Been a long time since my endurance running days. Nutrition has moved on.


I drink High5 4-1. Lots of carbs, electrolytes, plus a bit of protein. I also use their energy gels. Gels these days are really easy to swallow and you hardly need to use any drink to wash them down. 2 per hour on a long hard ride plus about 1x500ml bottle every hour or so depending on temp, road conditions etc. Bananas and Jaffa cakes also top the stomach up so you don't feel hungry.

The high5 drink sits really well in my stomach. Seems to absorb quickly and doesn't feel like it's swilling around inside. In like the citrus flavour but they do a mixed fruit one I think. That one's a bit sweet for me.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 8028
Asphalt_World wrote:
runningman67 wrote:
SchumieRules wrote:

I really don't like the cobbles, so slippery. Glad you are ok


Thanks. Back on the bike tonight, buckled wheel fixed £8. Its a drug, as you guys already know.

Training for the Manchester 100 (miles) on a 29er mtb . (I'll be putting 700 38 mm road tyres on)

Any tips on energy gels/ drinks to ward of fatigue.

Been a long time since my endurance running days. Nutrition has moved on.


I drink High5 4-1. Lots of carbs, electrolytes, plus a bit of protein. I also use their energy gels. Gels these days are really easy to swallow and you hardly need to use any drink to wash them down. 2 per hour on a long hard ride plus about 1x500ml bottle every hour or so depending on temp, road conditions etc. Bananas and Jaffa cakes also top the stomach up so you don't feel hungry.

The high5 drink sits really well in my stomach. Seems to absorb quickly and doesn't feel like it's swilling around inside. In like the citrus flavour but they do a mixed fruit one I think. That one's a bit sweet for me.


True, I had a gel on the London 60 mile one that was ok. The second one I tried from a different brand, it gave me such a bad stomach-ache. Same flavor as well. The Sys brand seems to be ok with my stomach.

A couple of good sites with tips:

http://road.cc/content/feature/120147-t ... r-sportive

http://blog.evanscycles.com/nutrition/w ... long-ride/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1390
Great advice. Thanks gentlemen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 6:08 pm
Posts: 4445
You can order small sachets of the powdered drink plus gels individually off eBay sometimes. Worth doing because I know some peoples stomachs just don't settle with certain brands. Best not spend 40 quid on lots of powder and gels only to find you don't get on with them.

_________________
Power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. [Lord Acton]
My own Google Earth Motor Sport file. http://www.mediafire.com/?jzm1ieatytv
Follow me @asphalt_world


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:36 pm
Posts: 1390
Great big Spag Bol the night before and porridge on the morning helps.

I'm lucky, 5 ft 8 and 10 stone. I quickly absorb everything and can keep plodding.

I've got two months to trial some gels and powders.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group