planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: Re: Awesomeness
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:07 pm 

Sadly, during WWII, there was British commander relaying a message to an American claiming they were in a "sticky situation". To the Brit, this meant they would all die soon without reinforcements. To the American, it was situation is fine but not great. Therefore reinforcements were not sent.

I find the whole "Yes we can" type things in motivational meetings to be deeply condescending (perhaps, perhaps that isn't precisely what I mean). Seems very childish to me. Repeating things en masse doesn't seem like it would help motivate me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:16 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Sadly, during WWII, there was British commander relaying a message to an American claiming they were in a "sticky situation". To the Brit, this meant they would all die soon without reinforcements. To the American, it was situation is fine but not great. Therefore reinforcements were not sent.

I find the whole "Yes we can" type things in motivational meetings to be deeply condescending (perhaps, perhaps that isn't precisely what I mean). Seems very childish to me. Repeating things en masse doesn't seem like it would help motivate me.

I think that sort of revving people up thing really only works in military and sports settings where there's supposed to be a lot of energy.

Sitting in a conference room it feels foolish and pointless to get fired up over sales reports and what not.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:47 am 

I have Central Heterochromia. I think it's kinda awesome.

Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: As good as Max in China

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:07 pm 

specdecible wrote:

I had to look up what that was, but pretty whacky stuff. I thought all things like that were from birth, but guess not. Though the image on wiki made me think of some disease which they featured in Scrubs and House. Hopefully not the case for you.

Anyway, today really felt like a beautiful summer day (at least in Glasgow). Got my shorts on.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:11 pm 

Booked holidays for skydiving in Budapest! Never done anything like this, should be fun. Bungee was great adrenaline, this should be 10 times better. So glad I didn't sell my Go Pro

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:25 am 

mac_d wrote:
specdecible wrote:

I had to look up what that was, but pretty whacky stuff. I thought all things like that were from birth, but guess not. Though the image on wiki made me think of some disease which they featured in Scrubs and House. Hopefully not the case for you.

Anyway, today really felt like a beautiful summer day (at least in Glasgow). Got my shorts on.

I was born with it, my mother and sister have it too which is why I guess that's why I never payed much attention to it. I only found out a couple of days ago that it's supposedly quite rare with around 1% of the worlds population with some for of Heterochromia, so yeah lucky me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:50 pm 

specdecible wrote:
mac_d wrote:
specdecible wrote:

I was born with it, my mother and sister have it too which is why I guess that's why I never payed much attention to it. I only found out a couple of days ago that it's supposedly quite rare with around 1% of the worlds population with some for of Heterochromia, so yeah lucky me.

Is it 1 eye or both you have it in? I'm guessing its bot full on Bowie if it's central as opposed to full? But still, it's a pretty distinctive feature and does look pretty cool :]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:54 am 

minchy wrote:
specdecible wrote:
mac_d wrote:
specdecible wrote:

Is it 1 eye or both you have it in? I'm guessing its bot full on Bowie if it's central as opposed to full? But still, it's a pretty distinctive feature and does look pretty cool :]

No nothing like Bowie, he has Heterochromia and Anisocoria where his Iris's are different colours but one of his pupils is larger than the other. Mine is Central Heterochromia in both eyes where around the pupil is a very strong gold colour which then changes to blue throughout the rest of the iris, the best way to describe it is that it looks like a solar eclipse. My pupils are not irregular like Bowie and both of my eyes are the same. My sister has similar eyes to mine but my mothers are brown in the centre which changes to green, neither my brother or my father have it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:06 pm 

Just today's weather in England. Got to be the first proper day of the year where it would be rude not to visit a pub garden after work!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:52 pm 

pubpokerplayer wrote:
Just today's weather in England. Got to be the first proper day of the year where it would be rude not to visit a pub garden after work!

We have had about 3 weeks of it, with the occasional windy day. Been too busy working to notice, or just in the wrong place :D (yes, I'm in UK)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:04 pm 

I must be living under a rock!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:16 pm 

pubpokerplayer wrote:

or a cloud :]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:59 pm 

moby wrote:
pubpokerplayer wrote:

Either way I'm enjoying this lovely pub garden/roof top terrace in the middle of Wimbledon :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:27 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdhWhgA8Y0A

Love stuff like this, could imagine something similar with Vettel/Schumacher. Must be crazy to compete against someone you used to emulate.

edit - music is awesome too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcihcYEOeic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:31 pm 

pubpokerplayer wrote:
moby wrote:
pubpokerplayer wrote:

Either way I'm enjoying this lovely pub garden/roof top terrace in the middle of Wimbledon :)

Nice :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:27 pm 

It is absolutely beautiful in Glasgow today. Very sunny but not overly warm. George Square was mobbed with folks soaking it up.

I left work early, got myself a cheeky full sugar caffeine drink (for later, decided to treat myself), got the train home, walked the rest of the way with my kick donkey rock playlist on the ol' iPod. I could not help but smile. I've had a crappy morning but since lunchtime my day has just been getting better and better. Not like anything particularly great has happened but my happiness has built up.

And Xbox Live has two new games up for free (free with the £40/year subscription admittedly). Army of Two: Devil's Cartel and Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. Don't fancy either just now, but popped them in my queue so I can download them later if I want.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:08 am 

Black Flag is the best Creed game since ACII. I highly reccomend.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:18 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:

:thumbup: Especially as it's free now.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 1:45 am 

How have I never heard of this sport?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpPVJIa5Knk

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 8:30 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:

I still can not find a replacement for Oblivion. Did a few hours with Skyrim, but not a patch on it, so back to oblivion, my original game is not probably 4 times its size as I must have every med ever done for it (except the pervy ones, which I did look at :blush: )
I have even done lots of my own modding.

Cant wait fot the next elder scrolls, hope it is back to tradition.

edit

Yes, I know I am an old git to be playing this sort of game, but been doing elder scrolls since early 90''s and way back to writing for my brother and his friends pre-Valhala days in the early 80's. Its a habit now

Anyone here old enough to remember "The Quill" ? a program to write D+D type games which you then ran through Zeus assembler?

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:40 pm 

Had a problem with my Xbox live account today cause it had a pending payment for my gold subscription set to auto renewal on an old card. I'd already bought a code online for a lot less than MS charge but couldn't redeem the code with a payment pending for the same thing.

That was a little bit of an annoyance, but then rang up Xbox customer support and say what you want about MS as a company or their products, but their custom support is spot on! I got an automated call and after pushing 2 option was transferred straight to a human with no waiting on hold and got the issue sorted within 2 minutes. That's got to be the fastest customer support ever! I've been on hold for literally an hour or more before to HMRC and 20-30 mins for other companies like utilities etc.

Xbox support = best customer service I've ever experienced.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:32 am 

Anyone knows the Metro Bank? It's a small bank operating in the South of England. Quite revolutionary.

I went there to open an account as I travel a lot to Europe and they offer cash withdrawals and purchases in Europe without any charges, so it makes sense for me.

It took all about 35' to sort it out, including giving me the debit card! That was absolutely awesome

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:40 pm 

Just had an awesome day out with my little girl at Yorkshire wildlife park. Having a day out and fun with my daughter is awesome enough, but the park itself is just an awesome little zoo.

I honestly don't know what other small zoo's are like in the UK or around the world, but the way they house and look after the animals there is great. For some of the smaller animals, they have big enclosures that you can walk around. It's great to be walking around these enclosures and see monkeys playing right next to you or a pack of lemurs swing out of a tree and hop across the path. Plus one of my favorite animals, capybaras, who happily trotted across in front of us from their little house to the pool for a swim.

And the lion and polar bear enclosures are just great. The polar bear one especially, is about the size of a football pitch for the first 2 bears they have (retired from the European breeding program) and they've almost finished a further enclosure linked to the first and about the same size. Then they've got another 2 enclosures they're currently building (again linked to the first 2 and about the same size). Don't know how many bears they're expecting or if they will be joining the European breeding program in the future. But it's all really good spaces for the animals.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:32 am 

I personally don't like football, but I dropped my daughter off at her die hard Arsenal supporting Grandpa's house yesterday at about half time, and thanks to her watching motorsports with me and me telling her to never cheer for the red team (Ferrari) in F1 and she likes Amlin Aguri in formula e after meeting a load of the team and getting badges etc at the Donnington tests. When he asked her 'who are we cheering for?' she excitedly yelled out 'The blue team!'.

I know Arsenal were wearing their away strip yesterday, but the look on his face when she said it was priceless!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:35 pm 

There was some kind of meeting in our staff room today. I walked in about 13:30 to get a LemSip (I have a bit of a cold) and basically meeting had ended and all the remaining food was going begging. Had some chicken pakora, some surprisingly really tasty cheese and tomato sandwiches and a couple of bits of cakey goodness.

You really do have to go a long way to beat a free lunch.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:56 pm 

After a year of being separated and hardly having the confidence to even try and talk to women even in a friendly manner, Ive just been asked out on a date! Yay! Guess I'm not a complete cock or too hideous after all!

I realise that this is the kind of drivel people normally put on facebook, but I've got a fairly amicable relationship with my ex and don't want to strain it I she hears through the grape vine and there's no way she will with me posting it here! Also, to me it is fecking awesome so I feel I have to tell the world! It's you get when having your first date when you're a 13 year old kid again :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:05 am 

Belated congratulations Minchy!

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:46 am 

I may have (not really accidentally) hit on the little sister of the groom of the wedding I was at. I've also had a bottle of Whiskey and in fairness, my mates little sister is smoking hot. Great shindig, though my idea to watch Le Mans when I got home might be scuppered by the fact I'm seriously pished.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:05 am 

mac_d wrote:
I may have (not really accidentally) hit on the little sister of the groom of the wedding I was at. I've also had a bottle of Whiskey and in fairness, my mates little sister is smoking hot. Great shindig, though my idea to watch Le Mans when I got home might be scuppered by the fact I'm seriously pished.

Why not ask her to watch Le mans with you ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:02 pm 

The look of pure horror on my lady's face just describing a 24h endurance race may mean that's a bad idea.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:34 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
The look of pure horror on my lady's face just describing a 24h endurance race may mean that's a bad idea.

:lol:
I suggested we go next year, pointed out there are several bars and things in the village there.

"Where do you sleep" was the first question....

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:16 pm 

Good day for me. Defended my thesis, got awarded my PhD.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:26 pm 

mac_d wrote:

Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:54 pm 

mac_d wrote:

Congratulations mate.

Changing your user name to mac_dr?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:59 pm 

mac_d wrote:

Well done :thumbup:

And a big mac and fries please ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:35 pm 

Wow, did people see this story:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-33209713

Parachute fails to open properly for one member of the Red Devils, another member manages to catch up and grabs hold and prevents disaster. No real footage of the catch as far as I know but the person who did the catching is fulling deserving of being called awesome. That's full on action hero stuff. Bet that guy won't have to buy a single beer this evening!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:06 am 

mac_d wrote:
Wow, did people see this story:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-33209713

Parachute fails to open properly for one member of the Red Devils, another member manages to catch up and grabs hold and prevents disaster. No real footage of the catch as far as I know but the person who did the catching is fulling deserving of being called awesome. That's full on action hero stuff. Bet that guy won't have to buy a single beer this evening!

I just jumped for the first time last week, what an awesome experience. Full credits to the guy that did it, although I suppose these guys know what they are doing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:50 pm 

Being sent to a seemingly pointless software demonstration event and coming home with an iPad.

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:36 am 

coulthards chin wrote:
Being sent to a seemingly pointless software demonstration event and coming home with an iPad.

I hope not stolen!!!!!!!

Wow, that's good luck there, enjoy mate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:40 am 

SchumieRules wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:

I hope not stolen!!!!!!!

Wow, that's good luck there, enjoy mate

It pays to pay attention (and make a few lucky guesses). They had a quiz about their product and company at their post even drinks reception - funny thing is I only stayed for that because I had an hour to kill before my train!

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014