planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:02 am 

etchedchaos wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:
etchedchaos wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:
etchedchaos wrote:
The sheer fact the gap is so large should put pay to any BBC fix theories, simply because no-one tries to fix something like laptimes with such a giant gap between 1st and 2nd. What you do is make it something small like 3 tenths of a second, 1.1 seconds is immediately going to draw suspicion.

It's very likely Lewis is 3-4 tenths faster than Vettel and the track conditions were beneficial for his lap. Not to mention Vettel could've left time on the track during his run. The rules are that they take the time of one single lap, not the fastest time out of a series of laps, so any mistakes will be magnified.

it's a joke thing,nothing to be taken seriously so obviously the times would be inconsistent,wouldn't be surprised if Yuji Ide or Sato sets a time a second faster than everyone else.

Joke or not, I still have to be the sane one amidst a sea of 'it's a fix' talk :p. Also, I'm not sure the F1 drivers who've taken part would want to be seen as that much slower than someone else, I have no doubts Vettel will be itching to get back on and try to rectify the matter.

he has 3 F1 titles,only his fans would be itching for him to get back to rectify that matter,taking this seriously as something to guage talent is like taking the ROC or NBA all stars game seriously.

You underestimate the sheer competitive will of these drivers, Vettel has shown absolutely no inclination that he would happily play second fiddle to anyone on a list of times, regardless of how pointless they are. Lewis himself said he was upset he had to drive in the wet for his first run, for a reigning WDC at that time, it shows how much they want to be first in absolutely everything they do.

Though how you think I'm gauging talent is beyond me, I was merely trying to scupper the it's a fix talk and those who think something like Lewis being a second faster is impossible. I have no doubts that someone who makes a living racing front-wheel drive vehicles can beat Lewis' time handily.

i don't underestimate anything about their competitive wills,all that talk Lewis was doing was all tongue in cheek(at least that's what it sounds to me),i don't see the big deal here,as i said i highly doubt Vettel is itching to beat his time,sure he would do it again if the opportunity arises and he has time for it but i think his priority is more on winning titles and 2013 than what Lewis is doing on top gear.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:04 am 

_Rogue_ wrote:
I have to admit i do find it mildly amusing that there are now conspiracy theorists abounding as soon as Hamilton does something impressive that sound as ridiculous as the conspiracy theorists did last year re:- Whitmarsh et all .... I tend to find Occam's razor a good principle to work by in these sort of situations :)

This. Every time Hamilton does well there's always another reason, its rigged, he's a cheat, he had a better car, the track conditions were more favourable; you guys are such hypocrites its not even funny any more, how the hell would track conditions amount to 1.1 seconds? Looks like its our turn to get the tin foil hats out because apparently the BBC are being blackmailed so that Hamilton can win by a bigger margin. Just accept it, everyone got whooped, if they were rigging it for Brits then why aren't Button, Mansell and Hill 2nd, 3rd and 4th? grow up. Hamilton went there and killed it, the end.

Jesus Christ.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:13 am 

nike2die4 wrote:
i don't underestimate anything about their competitive wills,all that talk Lewis was doing was all tongue in cheek(at least that's what it sounds to me),i don't see the big deal here,as i said i highly doubt Vettel is itching to beat his time,sure he would do it again if the opportunity arises and he has time for it but i think his priority is more on winning titles and 2013 than what Lewis is doing on top gear.

Naturally Vettel won't give it a second thought during the season, but during the Winter i can easily see him pestering the BBC team for a chance at taking Lewis down. Also, let us not forget that Lewis will no doubt be joking about it with Vettel when they next meet, and as such I could see Lewis pulling out the finger for once :P (or is Jenson the only one who does the finger to annoy Seb?:P).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:29 am 

I think you should give credit where credit is due.

Lewis is dammed if he does and dammed if he dont.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:49 am 

I only came here from the main forum because I wanted to see what others thought! It seems the usual nutjobs are trying to make serious dirt out of what is an extravagent entertainment show FFS!
FWIW I think Top Gear is largely a load of tosh - but the kids like it - too young to see the irony and heavily edited 'challenges' - but there you go.
As for the Hamilton lap - it looked pretty slow but clean to me - and they always say if it looks slow it is probably fast, which is probably true with such a road car? Sideways drifting and sliding is loss of energy/force in the right direction, so to speak - which, when you haven't got a lot of power to start with - is quite important!
I also found the 1sec gap a bit strange - but not unfeasible. AFAIK, the drivers get 5 timed laps, and take the best one. I don't know how many 'warm up' laps they are allowed, if any?
It is also quite feasible that everyone on a second visit will improve (subject to weather) their time, as they presumably will take less to 'get into the grove'? Given LH's (and JB's) times were set on wet track a heavy improvement was potentially on the cards.
Did I hear it right - that the time was set last year - and they have kept it secret til now? I find it unbelievably odd that they say they never told LH his time either!

Nevertheless, for all the diehard fanboyz and fangirlz - it is just a bit of fun, albeit a bit more competitive amongst the F1 drivers! Put it another way, if Algersuari beats LH's time tomorrow - do you think he will be signed by one of the top F1 teams? NO, of course not - Ergo, it is just for fun.......and means NOTHING!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:20 am 

I knew people would come out and start crying about it, but I see no reason why Lewis wouldn't be a second faster than Seb in a Suzuki Liana. In a Red Bull F1 car, it would be tenths...but it's such a different challenge that you can't really compare it.

It's not just a joke though, seeing as Lewis made a point of coming back to have a go on a dry track. Yeah it's a bit of fun, but you can bet your life Lewis will casually mention it at any opportunity to Seb. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:31 pm 

blah, they all have nothing on Fernando.

*Flees*

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:00 pm 

etchedchaos wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

Naturally Vettel won't give it a second thought during the season, but during the Winter i can easily see him pestering the BBC team for a chance at taking Lewis down. Also, let us not forget that Lewis will no doubt be joking about it with Vettel when they next meet, and as such I could see Lewis pulling out the finger for once :P (or is Jenson the only one who does the finger to annoy Seb?:P).

Hamilton is more into fisting :-P .....i'll get me coat now

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:02 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
I knew people would come out and start crying about it, but I see no reason why Lewis wouldn't be a second faster than Seb in a Suzuki Liana. In a Red Bull F1 car, it would be tenths...but it's such a different challenge that you can't really compare it.

It's not just a joke though, seeing as Lewis made a point of coming back to have a go on a dry track. Yeah it's a bit of fun, but you can bet your life Lewis will casually mention it at any opportunity to Seb. ;)

it's a joke,i mean wasn't it that obvious? it was to me....sure he'll mention it to Seb,it's like when you and your friends gather to play video game,you want to always be the best and if it's a racing game,you want to always have the fastest time for bragging rights,i doubt though you'd be at work wondering how to beat your friend's time on PS3 :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:48 pm 

They may not devote time to thinking about it, but you'd certainly rib them about it! ;) Like Rubens handing out T shirts after he set the top time.

Top Gear is one of the biggest shows on the planet, seen in loads of countries...you can bet Lewis had an extra spring in his step the next morning.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:13 pm 

FringeUK wrote:
I only came here from the main forum because I wanted to see what others thought! It seems the usual nutjobs are trying to make serious dirt out of what is an extravagent entertainment show FFS!
FWIW I think Top Gear is largely a load of tosh - but the kids like it - too young to see the irony and heavily edited 'challenges' - but there you go.
As for the Hamilton lap - it looked pretty slow but clean to me - and they always say if it looks slow it is probably fast, which is probably true with such a road car? Sideways drifting and sliding is loss of energy/force in the right direction, so to speak - which, when you haven't got a lot of power to start with - is quite important!
I also found the 1sec gap a bit strange - but not unfeasible. AFAIK, the drivers get 5 timed laps, and take the best one. I don't know how many 'warm up' laps they are allowed, if any?
It is also quite feasible that everyone on a second visit will improve (subject to weather) their time, as they presumably will take less to 'get into the grove'? Given LH's (and JB's) times were set on wet track a heavy improvement was potentially on the cards.
Did I hear it right - that the time was set last year - and they have kept it secret til now? I find it unbelievably odd that they say they never told LH his time either!

Nevertheless, for all the diehard fanboyz and fangirlz - it is just a bit of fun, albeit a bit more competitive amongst the F1 drivers! Put it another way, if Algersuari beats LH's time tomorrow - do you think he will be signed by one of the top F1 teams? NO, of course not - Ergo, it is just for fun.......and means NOTHING!

Refreshing, not a whiff of insufferable teeny bopper style starry eyed fantasy worship, well put :thumbup:

Which was the corner he stuffed up in practice? It was a classic China 'esque chuck-it-off-the-track goof :lol: Was it Gambon?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:14 pm 

Adaemus wrote:
They may not devote time to thinking about it, but you'd certainly rib them about it! ;) Like Rubens handing out T shirts after he set the top time.

Top Gear is one of the biggest shows on the planet, seen in loads of countries...you can bet Lewis had an extra spring in his step the next morning.

true.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:18 pm 

Adaemus wrote:

Let's see how long that spring lasts when Vettel laps him sometime this season... :-P

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:03 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Adaemus wrote:

Let's see how long that spring lasts when Vettel laps him sometime this season... :-P

When driving for Mercedes...it's the little victories that count the most! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Adaemus wrote:

He might do the unlapping himself thing again ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:29 pm 

phyz wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Adaemus wrote:

:lol:

Imagine if it still backed Vettel into Button...

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:12 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
phyz wrote:
Laura23 wrote:
Adaemus wrote:

:lol:

Imagine if it still backed Vettel into Button...

Maybe, just maybe, the Hamilton and Button camps will bury the hatchet after that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:18 pm 

Just a thought, I wonder could Seb go any faster in LHD Liana with the gear lever in in his right hand & the body width to what is for him his natural side.
Don't know about 1.1 seconds though.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:22 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Adaemus wrote:

that spring already went away....what if he laps Vettel? :-P

Last edited by nike2die4 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:27 pm 

ob1kenobi.23 wrote:
Just a thought, I wonder could Seb go any faster in LHD Liana with the gear lever in in his right hand & the body width to what is for him his natural side.

i doubt that,you aren't used to it but you get over it pretty quickly,i remember had that feeling the first time i drove a right hand car....felt weird at first but got used to it almost immediately so surely it would be easier for a pro.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:38 pm 

nike2die4 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

i doubt that,you aren't used to it but you get over it pretty quickly,i remember had that feeling the first time i drove a right hand car....felt weird at first but got used to it almost immediately so surely it would be easier for a pro.

As I said, just a thought, I know it takes me quite a while to get used to driving a LHD car & I would have done this on a yearly basis till quite recently. I accept I had to get used to other traffic, roundabouts, intersections etc.
I believe people who normally drive RHD get more opportunity to try the opposite than do do people who normally drive LHD.

Champions are made from something they have deep inside of them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have the skill & the will but the will must be stronger than the skill. Muhammad Ali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:54 pm 

nike2die4 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

[off topic]
Maybe on the road but I've known guys who have said it took them years when it came to driving at competitive levels to get on Par with themselves in RHD mode and thats with regular events and testing. Loads over here were spending big bucks getting WRCars converted (and at one stage getting the rules changed to allow it) If it was an easy swap I would doubt they would be lobbying the FIA to change the rules and spending the obvious coinage in getting cars converted over whch can be fairly major work.

The gear stick is the small bit the car positioning is the major factor. Your going from running your own donkey over the apex on a right hand corner to running the passenger seat over it and vice versa for Lh corners. You have to reset that line of sight as it were . If you ever watch someone on track or stage that hasn't adjusted yet they tend to go wide one way and too tight the other and the Co Driver usually looks a bit nervous :lol: :lol: [/off topic]

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:57 pm 

Lewis' original lap on a wet and oily track was only 0.7 seconds slower than Vettel's dry run, so for him to knock off 1.8 seconds on a dried-out track is not surprising. What's shocking is how fast Lewis was on that wet/oily track four years ago.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:08 pm 

As a bike rider as well as a multicar driver LHD and RHD - I think there is some merit in what Johnston says - I certainly find that when I swap from one to the other my road positioning may be slightly 'off' for a while.......
However, the interesting thing is when I'm riding. In the UK, I'm usually more hesitant on left hookers, as if I run wide - I'll biff into the oncoming traffic; whereas, abroad it is of course the opposite but I admit to still finding it hard to feel as confident on left handers though even if I've been abroad for a while, and even though on a bike the actual road positioning is essentially the same. I dunno, for me I think there is some kind of inherent inbuilt safety mechanism (i.e go a bit slower!) for left handers from being a Brit!
just sayin.......
I'd be curious to know if those who natively use LHD do have similar traits, especially those who are bikers too.......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:17 pm 

FormulaFun wrote:
_Rogue_ wrote:
I have to admit i do find it mildly amusing that there are now conspiracy theorists abounding as soon as Hamilton does something impressive that sound as ridiculous as the conspiracy theorists did last year re:- Whitmarsh et all .... I tend to find Occam's razor a good principle to work by in these sort of situations :)

This. Every time Hamilton does well there's always another reason, its rigged, he's a cheat, he had a better car, the track conditions were more favourable; you guys are such hypocrites its not even funny any more, how the hell would track conditions amount to 1.1 seconds? Looks like its our turn to get the tin foil hats out because apparently the BBC are being blackmailed so that Hamilton can win by a bigger margin. Just accept it, everyone got whooped, if they were rigging it for Brits then why aren't Button, Mansell and Hill 2nd, 3rd and 4th? grow up. Hamilton went there and killed it, the end.

Jesus Christ.

Hit the nail on the head! I like you.

NSX-R wrote:
Lewis' original lap on a wet and oily track was only 0.7 seconds slower than Vettel's dry run, so for him to knock off 1.8 seconds on a dried-out track is not surprising. What's shocking is how fast Lewis was on that wet/oily track four years ago.

That's a very good point, Lewis should've been even faster in the dry.

Also obi makes a good point about LHD vs RHD, I know when I drive LHD vehicles I feel like I'm mowing people down and I'm very conscious about my positioning. But that all fades after 10 minutes.

I'm sure F1 drivers being used to the middle and LHD/RHD can adapt a lot quicker to changes of steering positions. Plus seeing as Lewis spends a lot of time in the states, he's probably just as used to both RHD and LHD vehicles.

I don't think its worth a whopping 1.1 seconds though, unless they are totally confused.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:09 pm 

Johnston wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:
ob1kenobi.23 wrote:

[off topic]
Maybe on the road but I've known guys who have said it took them years when it came to driving at competitive levels to get on Par with themselves in RHD mode and thats with regular events and testing. Loads over here were spending big bucks getting WRCars converted (and at one stage getting the rules changed to allow it) If it was an easy swap I would doubt they would be lobbying the FIA to change the rules and spending the obvious coinage in getting cars converted over whch can be fairly major work.

The gear stick is the small bit the car positioning is the major factor. Your going from running your own donkey over the apex on a right hand corner to running the passenger seat over it and vice versa for Lh corners. You have to reset that line of sight as it were . If you ever watch someone on track or stage that hasn't adjusted yet they tend to go wide one way and too tight the other and the Co Driver usually looks a bit nervous :lol: :lol: [/off topic]

well we cant compare regular everyday driving/TG to WRC now can we? on the road it's easier but am sure as you said it would take more time on a competitive level.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:18 pm 

Assuming the keep things constant, like type of fuel and amount in the tank, are they the same tyres etc, there will still be an amount of 'loosening up' of the engine that has quite an effect on drivability of a car like that. No real way to compare it though, same as for air density and temp. Its just pot luck.
Good lap though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:52 pm 

nike2die4 wrote:
well we cant compare regular everyday driving/TG to WRC now can we? on the road it's easier but am sure as you said it would take more time on a competitive level.

Well that's it we're talking about around a track where car position can gain/lose a lot of time.

It's a shame TG doesn't have that GPS 3d overlay stuff that SKY has :lol: :lol:

"I thought I'd get your theories, mock them, then embrace my own. The usual."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:40 pm 

xenon wrote:

*Flees*

No need to run! I'd love to see Fernando on top gear. I guess it's a case of weather or not Fernando want to do it and Ferrari would let him.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:01 am 

minchy wrote:
xenon wrote:

*Flees*

No need to run! I'd love to see Fernando on top gear. I guess it's a case of weather or not Fernando want to do it and Ferrari would let him.

I'd doubt it'd happen. Besides 2007, what can Jeremy really ask Alonso about?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:21 am 

Behind the scenes video of his lap here:

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2 ... -hamilton/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:23 am 

SteveC84 wrote:
I think you should give credit where credit is due.

Lewis is dammed if he does and dammed if he dont.

Exactly

What I find funny is those complaining or crying because of what Lewis did would be going "Ha Ha" if he had failed to beat Sebs time.

Fact is the original Stig who is a professional racing driver who knows the track like the back of his glove was impressed by Lewis's time because it was wet thats why he said the comment about if it was dry it would be a great time.

Same car, same track and by blowing sebs time away by 1 second was brilliant. Can argue all you want but even Jeremy was impressed and he doesnt get impressed easily by times. Especially the stig who knows better then all of us.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:35 am 

^What did the stig "say"?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:37 am 

People are taking these lap times very seriously.......

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:58 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:

:thumbup:

Do people really think that these lap times are in any way a reflection of the drivers' relative abilities in an F1 car?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:17 pm 

j man wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Do people really think that these lap times are in any way a reflection of the drivers' relative abilities in an F1 car?

They're not even a real reflection of the drivers relative abilities in the reasonably priced car due to massive variables.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:26 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
j man wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

They're not even a real reflection of the drivers relative abilities in the reasonably priced car due to massive variables.

Thankfully why this thread is languishing in Off Topic along with such titles as Horsemeat Scandal & Jeep Grand Cherokee fails elk test..

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:41 pm 

Johnston wrote:
nike2die4 wrote:

Well that's it we're talking about around a track where car position can gain/lose a lot of time.

It's a shame TG doesn't have that GPS 3d overlay stuff that SKY has :lol: :lol:

dont get too carried away. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:42 pm 

j man wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Tell that to Lewis Hamilton

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:48 pm 

SteveC84 wrote:
j man wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:

Tell that to Lewis Hamilton

tell yourself first before you start wanting to tell Hamilton.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.