planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:21 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: Thread about Telescopes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:55 pm 

Never had any, but I often go on and follow whats happening on the market as well as Astrophotography.

Someday, I think I will buy something suitable for a wide field. Perhaps even Dobsonian, if it is motorized. Small aperture would be welcomes only if some best brands are involved, such as Takahashi or Astro-Physics Inc.

My dream is to have it with a seat that moves with a telescope.

Well, anyone here interested in Telescopes?

Last edited by Lt. Drebin on Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:16 pm 

I have my telescope downstairs. I haven't used it much since about 2008 or so. I'm a general science geek, though I like engineering stuff more than space stuff (though Saturn V is still the collest thing ever built by man).

When planets are on display, or the moon is clear, nothing beats being able to look at something hundreds of thousands or millions of miles away. I'll take a wee photo and post it. Just don't ask technical stuff, my father got me it years ago and I haven't much used it in a long time.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:34 pm 

I went to astronomy 'classes' and got really interested. So, i bought myself a half decent telescope.
After a couple of weeks the novelty wore off. You are never going to see anything more than various colour spots of light except for our moon and a couple others.

I got myself a really good set of binoculars and concentrate on the moon and near objects.
Unless you are one of the very few who will make a go of it with a tube, I advise getting yourself a set of 90x150mm glasses and a good solid tripod. (you may want filters if you watch a bright moon)

There are many excellent programs for starwatching, many free, and the pics you can get of the net are hundreds of times more interesting than you will get yourself.

I use a prog called 'the sky' which has a tutor in it, and then look for what ever I am interested in through the glasses.

Probably a personal thing, but as I said, you will want good binoculars eventually, so you may as well get them first.

You can use something as simple as a webcam om one lens and a photostacker (adds say 20 picks together and makes it into one really good one) to clean it up.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:25 am 

Have a look at this guys photostream on flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/terryhancock/page1/
If you want to see how he's progressed, go to the last page and work forward.

A friend says he'll lend me his telescope, don't know what it is yet (he can't remember), but I'm going to see if I can get a camera adapter for it.

I'm after some decent shots of the moon, the best I've managed so far is with a 500mm lens + 2x tele adapter, but I want something closer, sharper and basically better.

As far as the rest of the sky goes, I really don't have a clue. I can spot some of the well known constellations, but that's about it. Be interesting to see what's up there though, even if I don't know what I'm looking at.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:20 am 

mac_d wrote:
I have my telescope downstairs. I haven't used it much since about 2008 or so. I'm a general science geek, though I like engineering stuff more than space stuff (though Saturn V is still the collest thing ever built by man).

When planets are on display, or the moon is clear, nothing beats being able to look at something hundreds of thousands or millions of miles away. I'll take a wee photo and post it. Just don't ask technical stuff, my father got me it years ago and I haven't much used it in a long time.

I've had an 8 inch reflector for a bit over 25 years, but I don't use it much now. It was hand built and is a bit cumbersome. I like the modern ones that you can fit a sensor to and go indoors and control from your PC.

Agree on the Saturn V. The most complicated and challenging machine yet made.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:22 pm 

Forgive me if I'm showing my ignorance but isn't a "motorised Dobsonian" an oxymoron? I thought the Dobsonian was the type that was guided manually by the observer and had only a rotating teflon base (left/right) and elevation (up/down) axes?

I think the most interesting astronomy I've ever witness is looking directly at the sun with a hydrogen-alpha filter. You can buy a telescope that allows this for about £600 and you will see different things every time you look, unlike looking at the moon or the planets and star clusters/nebula/galaxies which just stay the same and after your first look at them, there's nothing new.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:16 pm 

flyboy10 wrote:
Forgive me if I'm showing my ignorance but isn't a "motorised Dobsonian" an oxymoron? I thought the Dobsonian was the type that was guided manually by the observer and had only a rotating teflon base (left/right) and elevation (up/down) axes?

I think the most interesting astronomy I've ever witness is looking directly at the sun with a hydrogen-alpha filter. You can buy a telescope that allows this for about £600 and you will see different things every time you look, unlike looking at the moon or the planets and star clusters/nebula/galaxies which just stay the same and after your first look at them, there's nothing new.

There are a number of "goto" Dob mounted scopes available these days as well as "push to" Dob's
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFW_R6e-KlI for instance

I personally have an 8" Newtonian on a Goto EQ mount and a 10" Beacon hills Dob mounted scope