planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:59 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: Re: NFL thread
PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:18 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
I stayed up 'til 3 AM for that?!?!

That's how most Americans felt about the F1 season last year...

No one call anyone a moo-pickle...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:53 pm 

Laura23 wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
I stayed up 'til 3 AM for that?!?!

That's how most Americans felt about the F1 season last year...

:lol: :thumbup:

For me it was all good. I had to be at work all night but it was really slow so I had nothing else to do than watch the game. After every point Seattle scored I kept thinking that Denver surely would start acting like I am used to see them, but Seattle's defense were really great. And after a while you could almost see in Manning's face that he had given up. But I wanted Seattle to win so....great!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:13 pm 

Well happy! .

At last I can brag with my Raiders, 49 ers, Redskins mates etc. The game kinda reminded me of Superbowl XX with Bears battering the Patriots. The Broncos just didn't turn up.

Shame the game was so one sided, but I'll take it :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:28 pm 

I was rooting for Broncos :(

So here's something I found for NFL/Star Wars fans:

AFC:

http://www.behance.net/gallery/STAR-WARS-American-Football-League/9233923

NFC

http://www.behance.net/gallery/STAR-WARS-National-Football-League/9234099

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:38 pm 

Well that was epic! couldn't have chosen a better first Seahawks game to attend!

I saw the battering dished out to the Broncos coming weeks ago!! as Sherman said, the NFC championship game was the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:05 am 

lab105 wrote:
Well that was epic! couldn't have chosen a better first Seahawks game to attend!

I saw the battering dished out to the Broncos coming weeks ago!! as Sherman said, the NFC championship game was the Super Bowl.

Mate, I can't imagine how good it was to see your team win the Superbowl. I bet you're glad you did stump up the cash and go now. The memory will last a lifetime and I think this will be one of the Superbowl's best remembered for how it ended up.

If the Vikings ever make it (and, I doubt they will) I think I'd need to cash out my savings for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:28 pm 

mac_d wrote:
lab105 wrote:

Mate, I can't imagine how good it was to see your team win the Superbowl. I bet you're glad you did stump up the cash and go now. The memory will last a lifetime and I think this will be one of the Superbowl's best remembered for how it ended up.

If the Vikings ever make it (and, I doubt they will) I think I'd need to cash out my savings for it.

Cheers mate, hope the Viking's make it to a SB for you. I don't think it'll get any better than this for me, Seattle and it being in NYC was just amazing, Manhattan is off the hook. The next one is in Arizona, not quite the same!

Here's one vid I made of the Seahawks coming on to the field

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10153788863415367&l=7048153478164148658

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:32 pm 

Michael Sam (entering this year's draft) has come out as being gay. Guess we'll find out how 'ready' the NFL is. Best of luck to him, though this article at SI is fairly depressing reading.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... aft-stock/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:36 pm 

medgar wrote:
Michael Sam (entering this year's draft) has come out as being gay. Guess we'll find out how 'ready' the NFL is. Best of luck to him, though this article at SI is fairly depressing reading.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... aft-stock/

Thing is, whilst there will be a large amount of clubs and people who may not be strong enough to make a move for him - I predict there will be some who might go for it just for the pure marketing alone...

Imagine how much a club could earn from the gay market... A club could potentially become the automatic choice of gay fans who aren't committed to a club...

I think it's an incredibly brave and brilliant announcement. I wish him all the best...

:D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:42 pm 

Good luck to him. I think these days it won't make too much difference, especially as NFL is primarily a national sport for the USA rather than a worldwide sport therefore more sponsors and people with money are US based. As such, I think sponsors are less likely to risk the backlash of trying to force the guy out.

However, the alternative situation where they keep him around as they don't want to cut the gay guy (either due to having a sponsor that wants him kept because he is gay or because they fear a backlash as if they have singled him out).

From the Article linked by medgar:
"I don't think football is ready for [an openly gay player] just yet," said an NFL player personnel assistant. "In the coming decade or two, it's going to be acceptable, but at this point in time it's still a man's-man game. To call somebody a [gay slur] is still so commonplace. It'd chemically imbalance an NFL locker room and meeting room."

I don't really buy this. It somewhat implies that if you are gay, you have to be camper than Graham Norton and with skin thinner than a potato. How can it not yet be acceptable? 2014, seriously. Why does it matter if he prefers a willy to a fanny? He's not going to be shagging on the field. If he can play football well enough, let him play. If he can't, don't let him play. Also, it seems like it is okay to call someone a "fag" on the pitch (assuming this is the gay slur) but I bet if someone was to be calling another player "nigger" that would be wholly unacceptable. Is there really that much difference?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:40 am 

Bump as we're in the middle of free agency.

Pretty happy with Cardinals' moves so far, Veldheer at LT covers a much needed position. Cromartie appears to have a bit of a chip on his shoulder, if he plays like he can do, him and Peterson could well be best CB duo in the NFL. Shame to lose Dansby but a 4 year deal for a 32 y/o is hard to match.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:30 am 

I haven't seen too much news since FA started, though it seemed like the Broncos and the Patriots must have been getting people cheap or had cap room.

Jared Allen is leaving the Vikings. I really like the guy. One of the first really cool plays I saw had the offensive line fall apart and Jared Allen sacked someone with enough power that it looked like the QB was made of cardboard. Always amused me.

There were some rumours about Michael Vick going to the Vikings too. I think he could do some good stuff there. A stronger passing game and an in-form AP would be a really good offense. Greg Jennings will probably be quite happy Matt Cassel got re-signed though as the two of them tend to buddy up and do good. Patterson is also an excellent guy. A passing game would really up the Vikings (though they can't fall much further now can they).

I'd rather keep Cassel than Ponder, but I think I'd risk it on Vick or if one of the new highly rated rookie QBs doesn't get picked before the Vikings first then go for that. I'm sure they will go.

I look forward to the new NFL season. I'm glad F1 has started again, there was a bit of a lull for a while between NFL ending and F1 starting when I had no sports news to check everyday.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:47 pm 

hi, mac...

Free agency has been interesting thus far. The Broncos made the big noise at the start having gotten three players who, if they stay healthy, could revitalize the defense and give them the nastiness that the met in the SuperBowl. Then the Patriots responded by getting a couple of nice players themselves to replace lost pieces. The Broncos too lost some players to free agency, but in truth there was only one that they made a serious effort to re-sign. I like the players that the Broncos signed, but they still have some areas of need (offensive line & middle linebacker). They still have some room under the cap for free agents, so who knows whether they try to resolve them with FAs or the draft. I am guessing the FA route, and then they can enter the draft in a position to draft the "best available" regardless of position as opposed to having to fill a position need.

Actually, it was thought that Jared Allen was going to the Broncos, and he was scheduled to meet with them when Ware was cut by Dallas, and the Broncos quickly changed course and went after (and signed) him instead of Allen.

About the Vikings... I would not be comfortable about their Quarterback situation if I were a Vikes fan. That said there are only x number of elite QBs out there and most are signed for a period of years. I imagine the Vikings will be looking to get a promising QB in the draft... but do they draft high enough to have a legitimate shot at one?

Good luck with your team this upcoming season... I enjoy having the teams in middle USA fare well, nice to give the Coastal teams a bit of humility.
;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:43 pm 

Blake - The Vikings will not get an elite QB. I have realised this and accepted it. Of the main options that have been touted or are even slightly likely - Ponder, Cassel, Vick and a rookie QB in the draft (I think Vikings have #8 pick).

Vick (past issues which make me somewhat dislike him aside) does have some serious skill. Okay, he's getting older and his stats are dropping but is it better to take a once-great who has fallen a bit than a guy who was never great? Two such guys are Cassel and Ponder. Now, I haven't been following NFL long enough to know the ins and outs. A QBs numbers can be deceptive. A good offensive line. A great receiver. If your divisional group is weak that year compared to most other years etc. But Cassel put up a good season with the Patriots 2008 and again with the Chiefs in 2010. Okay, a lot of other years are lackluster but Ponder hasn't really ever had a great year. Barley had a good year. 2012 was all about AP and the ground game.

And while I'm all for taking a punt should one of the better QB prospects be available at the Viking's pick, last time this situation arose was after Favre retired at the end of the 2012 season. And Christian Ponder was signed. And while I understand a QB needs time to get used to the NFL and can greatly improve... Ponder doesn't have it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:00 am 

Allen's problem is he's only got a few good years left in him as a player but he's going to be asking for mega bucks. He'd be a real short term investment for a lot of teams.

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:58 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Allen's problem is he's only got a few good years left in him as a player but he's going to be asking for mega bucks. He'd be a real short term investment for a lot of teams.

He's signed to go to the Bears for $32 million over 4 years according to the NFL app on my phone. It's annoying he has stayed in the division as I like Allen, but he's going to be up against the Vikings a lot more now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:33 am 

at least he didn't got to Seattle.... I thought for sure he would go there... a good chance at a SuperBowl appearance, wouldn't have to play every down a bit easier on his frame...and great support behind him on the defense.

That really surprised me, but I am happy for it.
;)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 3:32 pm 

Article about Cheerleaders on the BBC. Should help tide us over until Thursday & Friday when I'll be spouting half-arsed, ill-informed opinions about the game again (I love my NFL but my knowledge depth isn't so great).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27260466

Sidenote: I went round to a pal's house for the Superbowl and we played some of whatever the latest Madden game is on his PS4. I went the Vikings, he went the Chargers (he pumped me pretty royally in the end). Anyway, he mocked me because I switched out Christian Ponder for Matt Cassel. Given the press the Viking's QBs have gotten, the press at least seems to agree that Cassel is the best they have at the moment. He isn't an elite QB, not even that close... but he's a good hand. Also, we played with my special rules. No FGs inside the opponents half (playing 4th down much more fun but you can go for a 64 yard FG if you want!) and you gotta go for 2 pts after TD.

Sidenote 2: Reading Next Man Up currently. It follows the Raven's for a season and so far has been very interesting. Supposed to be one of the best NFL books going. My Dad got it for me for my Christmas (all his gifts were related to various trips we went on). Only read on the train really, so taking me a while but pretty good book.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:07 pm 

Well first round of drafting is done.

Vikings got a QB using a second 1st round pick traded from. Interesting to see how it went. Manziel, Bortles and Bridgewater now all drafted. Not been following closely enough to know who any of the non-QB draft people are.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:38 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Well first round of drafting is done.

Vikings got a QB using a second 1st round pick traded from. Interesting to see how it went. Manziel, Bortles and Bridgewater now all drafted. Not been following closely enough to know who any of the non-QB draft people are.

Despite being a Browns fan, I think the Vikes actually got the pick of the QBs in the draft. Manziel, despite being exciting to watch, is a little inconsistent and just tends to scramble around then throw the ball up for grabs by anyone. I don't know too much about Bortles but I've seen a fair few of Bridgewater's college games and he's always looked very impressive and plays like a pro QB. The only thing wrong with him (apart from the less than impressive pro day which I personally think means jacksh*t) is his long ball accuracy. If you give him receivers who can make a lot of yards after the catch then I think he'll thrive.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:16 pm 

Having a look at the odds for next season.

Denver Broncos 5/1
Seattle Seahawks 6/1
San Francisco 49ers 7/1
New England Patriots 9/1
Green Bay Packers 14/1
(Ladbrokes)

My own team, the Vikings is representing at 100/1. I have the bad habit of often betting on who I want to win, rather than who I think will win. Much in all as I dream of Cassel or Bridgewater having a great season, Peterson being his usual electric self, Greg Jennings getting a chance to show again his talent and Patterson really getting into his stride. That said, I'd be amazed if Vikes aren't bottom of the NFC North this year.

I think Broncos or Patriots for the AFC and NFC probably Seahawks or Green Bay. However, I haven't really bothered to keep up with who has left and moved to each team outwith the Vikings so this is roughly based on who looked good last year. 49ers actually not a bad shout either. I really like QBs like Kaepernick and Wilson who can also run with the ball when needs be.

I think Peyton Manning will not be a player in the NFL after this season. Older end of the spectrum. He's had a couple of really bad injuries and surgeries. I'd love to see him win the Superbowl and leave on a high. I do feel that he should have ended up with more than 1 Superbowl ring. It's almost unfair that when he goes round to his brother's house his brother has more Superbowl rings and also led one of the absolute most famous recoveries in NFL history (4th Quarter comeback against the 18-0 Patriots). I realise that's a bit pickle about face, but I do think Peyton was the better brother. Actually, we could see an Super-Manning-Bowl couldn't we? Imagine the Sunday dinner at Dad's house if Eli beat Peyton in the Superbowl and retired Peyton.

Then again, he might go Brett Favre on us all...

Anyway, I can't wait for the NFL season to start up again. NFL redzone coverage on a Sunday evening is a lovely way to spent the evening before heading to bed. At least I have F1 until then... wait we're on a month long break? *inaudible*.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:07 pm 

I, too, would love to see Peyton win one more. But then again, I'd also love to see Brady get another. Or both of them have one more epic bout in the playoffs - last year's was a dud due to the weak Patriots team. The Sunday Night in-season game at Foxborough was the best game I've ever watched though. So it made up for it. :-P

Regarding my favorite team, the Eagles - I LOVED Andy Reid and still enjoy him as a coach and wish him the best. But it was time for both parties to move on and get refreshed. And it seemed to have worked for both! As someone that's always cautious to new coaches coming in and how quickly I warm up to them, I absolutely adore Chip Kelly and very excited to what he brought to the team last year and hopefully things to come in the future. But he's certainly won me over with his game play style, coaching style, and media relations. While he's far more liberal with his wording than Raikkonen, he answers with the same "quit trying to overthink it, this is what it is" approach to the media.

Thankful they neglected to resign DeSean Jackson, as ever since 2011 I felt he was a negative influence on the morale of the team irregardless of how fast and game changing he was. He was too small framed to be a long term wideout option and his reluctance to take hits on the field showed that he's well aware of that, too. I'll always remember THAT 2010 game with the Giant where he ended with a punt return TD to win the game on the last second, but I'm glad Kelly put his foot down and took charge of the situation and made the change.

Just hoping the Eagles defense can get turned around (it's their biggest downfall for the last four years - their 2001-2004 playoff teams were much more balanced offense to defense). I know McCoy is going to continue to deliver for the team, but really hoping Foles doesn't have a sophmore slump. Hope he is the real deal.

I feel for the Vikings, too. They had quite a team going with Favre and Peterson and even with Peterson, they are still trying to find their feet ever since that period. Now, they even lost another key player to a division rival. Really hoping Peterson doesn't end up like Barry Sanders without a championship ring.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:34 am 

This is from August 28 in response of the Ravens RB Ray Rice domestic abuse case.

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has announced a new policy and rule in regards about the Personal Conduct Policy this after he got lenient with Ray Rice getting suspended for 2 games after being arrested for assaulting his fiancee on February 15 in Atlantic City.

Goodell has officially apologized for not being straight. Now in a personal matter, he made new changes.

The 1st offense will result a 6-game suspension w/o pay. The 2nd offense will result a 1 year ban. Any player after the ban can re-apply for reinstatement. But it will not be guaranteed.

Links:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -rice-case

Report with a letter and memorandum:
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/201 ... source=rss

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:56 pm 

Re - Placid's post above, I saw the first half of the 49ers pounding (I would extrapolate) the Cowboys, one of the players, was arrested on Felony Assault on his pregnant inacee. I'm amazed in this commercial world a team would allow a player to continue on pitch in that time while being in legal proceedings for such a matter. Ray McDonald is still playing. I'm not even morally against it, I kinda agree he should be innocent until proven guilty. I just think it is the kind of thing that generates bad press. I know a lot of teams get very close, and they likely want to support the player if they can. And perhaps he has an explanation that means he isn't a bad guy. But still, I find it odd. I really do.

Sunday Games -

Importantly, the Vikings won. I only saw the TD plays as this wasn't the game on SS1. I think the Rams QB went down injured early, so I don't know how well the defense was really tested but allowing only two FGs and no TDs is a strong showing. A one off, perhaps but I am really looking forward to watching a longer highlight reel of this game tomorrow. Okay, while writing this I stopped and watched the NFL.com highlights. The Vikings were in fact up against a backup QB who has barely played in years. So I shouldn't get too excited in the Defensive department despite a good result. Offense looked good. Cassel 18/25, 175 yards, 2TD, 0 INT. Peterson got shut down a lot but Patterson's run was pretty amazing. This guy is gonna be great this season. I always appreciate Greg Jennings and rate him highly. He and Cassel seem to work well together. I admit, I wanted Bridgewater in when he was drafted, but I am starting to think Cassel could pull off a good season. He's had a few good seasons. He's had at least one stinker also though.

Pats @ Dolphins was a good game I thought. I am a big fan of running plays in general and Moreno was king of the castle in this game. Over 20 carries (often 4-7 yarders) but amazing in how he just kept powering through. I thought he might be feeling the beating by the end but he wasn't. Also featured a blocked punt! Don't see them all that often.

The Saints @ Falcons game sounded amazing. I won't give away the score in case anyone pops in and has it taped etc, but I think it'll be really good fun.

I had to leave where I was watching this to get my train home, so I only saw the first 25 (in game) minutes of 49ers @ Cowboys. Romo either seemed to be laser guided or throwing long and loose and often in coverage. Kaepernick didn't have to do much in that time. A few minutes later though, the 49ers offense wasn't working and I think they ended up punting on a 4th soon after. However, QBs like Kaepernick are the future QBs we will be seeing. I love watching this guy play. He throws a game better than most, but he can move brilliantly. Wilson with the Seahawks (whom after seeing them against the Packers, is almost sure they'll win back to back Superbowls) is also a bit like this from what I remember. There is also a brutal hit on Dez Bryant. This was a really big smash and looked spectacular in slow motion.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:31 pm 

Aye Bryant reminded me of one of those crash test dummy videos, brutal hit. Cardinals on live tv but a 3am start, goddamnit. Usually always watch them live but that might be pushing it :|

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:49 pm 

mac_d wrote:
I think the Rams QB went down injured early, so I don't know how well the defense was really tested but allowing only two FGs and no TDs is a strong showing.

The Rams starting QB went down for the season a couple weeks ago, so their starter yesterday was their first backup, Shaun Hill, who was out with an injury himself by halftime, so they were using a third-string QB for the second half of the game. Still, the rest of the offense is good, so holding them without a touchdown is a great day.

I actually cheered when the Bills won in overtime yesterday. They didn't play like a team expecting to lose, which was good to see.

It may be mean, but I was happy to see the Cowboys implode in the first half, as I had chosen to start them in my Bad QB Fantasy League this week. :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:56 pm 

:lol: Well, "my team" survived yesterday, but not before scaring me. As a Bronco fan, can I say THANKS to the Cowboys for putting Ware on the free agent market! I sure like what I saw, the same is true for the Patriots, Talib seems to fit just fine. Come to think of it, thanks too for the Steelers, Emmanuel looks like he will do just fine in place of Decker.

Any of you into fantasy football? This year, again, I am in two CDM leagues, one was a draft league, the other a Points Challenge league. Won my first game in one league, getting my butt kicked in the other.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:10 pm 

I only started following American football about 5 years ago, and only been properly watching this season and last. As such, I'm still picking up a lot of aspects of the games and learning who is good in what positions etc. So, as a result I find Fantasy Football rather daunting. I tried it once. I did poorly then gave up.

For those following the Ray Rice story, including the fact I think he has been released now by the Ravens after the video of him knocking out his finance in a lift was released by TMZ.com. If anyone wishes to watch the video, a linky is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdaV5P0 ... vZS8w#t=54
It is absolutely brutal. Really disconcerting to watch his behaviour after the punch. I hope he ends up in prison for this.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:12 am 

Mac, one thing you will find is that there is probably no faster way to learn who is good at what position than fantasy football. Just join a free league for a couple of years while you learn, then go for it.

I usually make a spreadsheet from the player rankings that I find on-line and in a fantasy magazine or two and then go from there.
You will catch on much sooner than you think... just don't beat me!!!
;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:12 am 

mac_d wrote:
I only started following American football about 5 years ago, and only been properly watching this season and last. As such, I'm still picking up a lot of aspects of the games and learning who is good in what positions etc. So, as a result I find Fantasy Football rather daunting. I tried it once. I did poorly then gave up.

For those following the Ray Rice story, including the fact I think he has been released now by the Ravens after the video of him knocking out his finance in a lift was released by TMZ.com. If anyone wishes to watch the video, a linky is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdaV5P0 ... vZS8w#t=54
It is absolutely brutal. Really disconcerting to watch his behaviour after the punch. I hope he ends up in prison for this.

And his whole career. The Ravens acted and they have terminated his contract. The next time you will find his trading card will be in a sex offender registry.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:50 am 

Blake wrote:
Any of you into fantasy football? This year, again, I am in two CDM leagues, one was a draft league, the other a Points Challenge league. Won my first game in one league, getting my butt kicked in the other.

Aye, 2nd year playing it, currently have two teams. My knowledge beyond the first few rounds of drafting gets thin but it adds some fun to Sundays. Also went 1-1 over the weekend, one game saved by having Manning and J.Thomas and the other lost by Giants being inept against Stafford. We'll have to try and get a league set up next year if there's enough interest :)

Good to see Cardinals sneak a win, however really need to cut down on turnovers as that cost us dear in a couple of crucial games last year. OL looks a bit better, receiving options look solid too. If Ellington stays healthy the running game should contribute, defense looked pretty good on the whole despite losing Washington, Dansby and Dockett. Should be even better in the secondary when Mathieu is back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:54 pm 

mac_d wrote:

He applied for a pre-trial intervention program which was accepted by the judge. If he completes the year-long program, the charges will be dropped.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:05 pm 

DaveStebbins wrote:
mac_d wrote:

He applied for a pre-trial intervention program which was accepted by the judge. If he completes the year-long program, the charges will be dropped.

I'm all for people getting help and going through programs that are designed to help. But this just seems like another rich guy getting away with a pretty sickening crime with some namby pamby measure. Maybe I should believe in rehabilition and the like, but this smells like bullshit to me. That video was pretty sick. My issue isn't even the punch. While a sick act, the punch was a brief moment of anger. It shouldn't happen but at least it is potentially a brief act of anger that a person might regret. The way he looks at her and drags her though... that looks to me like he just doesn't care about that human being. His fiancée and worse than that, his pregnant fiancée. Maybe he was just in shock, but to me it looked worse than that. And that's what I find especially creepy and disturbing.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:26 pm 
The NFL is the most lucrative sports franchise in the world, with an annual income of 9 billion dollars. And one of it's prime assets are big, hulking, violent men. It has been a common theme for it's entire history that some of those brutish testosterone-pumped men occasionally step over the line and either bully someone or beat someone up. Wife beating, dog fighting, bullying is nothing new, it's just that with modern news services and technology, combined with the internet, less is being swept under the rug. And make no mistake about it, for the NFL and Baltimore Ravens, that was their intent.

To them, Rice was an asset, one to be protected and held on to. Combine that with a legal system where money does talk and lawyers find every loophole, Rice found a way out, to plead for a "punishment" that essentially saw him receive a token slap on the wrist. But as we all now know, when TMZ released the video, everything changed. This immediately became something that could not be casually dismissed or swept under the rug.

It all started February 15, seven months ago when Rice knocked her out. Seven months of obfuscating, stalling, and playing dumb by too many people and organizations. There are too many people and organizations who participated in this cover-up, from the Atlantic City police to the Baltimore Ravens, to the NFL.

And before anyone starts to misunderstand things, it is relevant to be aware of the NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. He is the kind of person who digs very deep into cases, aggressively pursuing all leads in order to get all the facts. But in the case of the Rice incident, suddenly his actions were of a passive man. He could have easily had his people pursue all avenues to discover facts, but instead when he asked for the video from the police, they said NO, he just meekly slithered away.

The casino had the video, they distributed four copies to different organizations. But the NFL never went to them, never asked.

People say that Rice is a nice guy. That may be true, but there is a difference between personality and behavior. I'll try to give an example.

When you were a kid there was one favorite uncle, Uncle Fred. he would come over often, play with the children, was always happy and cheerful, the kind of guy who lit up a room and was always smiling and joking. But as you got older you realized he was always drunk, he even admitted he was sloshed. He always had a beer in his hand. Then as you aged and became more aware, you realized he always drove home drunk. He had a great personality, but some unacceptable behaviors.

The really sad part is that Rice's wife is a victim of wife battering syndrome, she actually believes she was the problem, that because she made him mad, she deserved to be punched. And much sadder is that Rice's suspension is not permanent, he will be back in the NFL next year.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:43 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
And before anyone starts to misunderstand things, it is relevant to be aware of the NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. He is the kind of person who digs very deep into cases, aggressively pursuing all leads in order to get all the facts. But in the case of the Rice incident, suddenly his actions were of a passive man. He could have easily had his people pursue all avenues to discover facts, but instead when he asked for the video from the police, they said NO, he just meekly slithered away.

The casino had the video, they distributed four copies to different organizations. But the NFL never went to them, never asked.

The NFL was (supposedly) told by police at the time that the video was evidence in an ongoing criminal grand jury investigation and thus not allowed to be distributed. Sure, they could have gone the way of TMZ and essentially paid someone to steal it and give them a copy (I am assuming this is what TMZ did, based upon past actions - if I am wrong, I apologize for dragging their 'good' name through the muck), but that would not have been right either. When you are a private corporation and a criminal investigation is involved, sometimes your best bet it to await the outcome like everyone else. If you presume guilt and the person is not convicted, you are accused of going on a witch hunt. If you presume guilt and the person is convicted, you are accused of prejudicing the outcome. If you presume innocence, like the law does, and the person is convicted, you are accused of being soft or trying to sweep it under the rug. There is no winning stance in these situations.

I have no doubt that the NFL 'knew' what had happened. But whatever their response was, they were going to lose. I think it was correct to act on the evidence they were legally allowed to have at the time and revise their punishment when the new evidence came to light. To act in any other manner would have opened them up to lawsuits.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:57 am 
Dave, your argument has merit, but the timeline shreds it to pieces. I know you're not dumb or ignorant, but most people have not laid out the timeline, and that is incredibly important.

Feb. 15: Rice and his fiancee Janay Palmer have an altercation in an Atlantic City hotel and casino. Rice and Palmer were arrested.

March 27: Rice is indicted on an aggravated assault charge.

May 21: Rice accepted into pre-trial program, allowing him to avoid prosecution.

July 24: The NFL suspends Rice two games.

On May 21 the legal and court process is completed. Then there was over two months before the NFL suspended him for two games. Obviously you know the NFL could have pursued the video or any evidence after May 21.

I don't have a very good opinion of TMZ, but that is secondary to the central issue and to debate it is just allowing ourselves to be distracted from the core issue. The source and method of obtaining the video does not matter to me, the only relevant thing is the video and Rice's actions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:51 pm 

Was the legal process completed in May? I thought the terms were that the charges would only be dropped upon completion of the year-long pre-trial intervention? Until then, it would have to be considered an open case, as the charges could become 'live' again at any time if Rice doesn't complete the course.

In any event, the point is most likely moot, as a copy of the video was apparently sent to the NFL after all. It stretches credulity to believe it wasn't viewed by a bunch of people and, even if Goodell didn't see it himself, he most probably knew of it's existence and what it showed and he is smart enough to know that it would get to the public someday. I think he might still have some level of plausible deniability about seeing the video personally, but the fact of the video being on the premises makes the 2-game suspension decision extremely questionable. Either Goodell saw it, or knew what it showed (which makes the decision deplorable), or the NFL office hierarchy is so deeply layered that people decided he didn't need to be informed, which points to a whole other set of deeply troubling problems.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:45 am 

Argh. Didn't see the Vikes game today but saw the gist of plays watching the play tracker thing on the NFL app. Started well. Didn't end well. Not looking forward to watching the highlights at lunchtime tomorrow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:14 pm 

How 'bout dem Browns :D :D :D ?

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:04 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
How 'bout dem Browns :D :D :D ?

If the Browns and the Bills are still in first place in their respective divisions at the halfway point of the season, I would look into finding bomb shelters, because it will be a true sign of the impending apocalypse. ;)