planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:37 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: Re: NFL thread
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:39 pm 

Can't stand the Seahawks. Can't stand Russell Wilson. Can't stand Marshawn Lynch. Can't stand Richard Sherman.

God-dammit, I now have to cheer for the bloody Patriots. Can't see Indy beating the 'Hawks if they advance.

I'm quite upset.

Great game though, catastrophic meltdown from the Packers D and special teams on the onside kick.

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:44 pm 

mac_d wrote:
Wow.

Seahawks Packers games was pretty surprising. In just about every fashion.

No wonder there are so many Hollywood movies about American football.. Wow.

Now... Go Pats!!! Gronk got this!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:26 am 

My word to describe it would be "sickening"...

Now all that will get me to watch the SB will be if the Colts can win, but they are behind at this time.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:38 am 

I went to bed after the Seahawks Packers game. I've seen the Colts Pats score but not any of the action.

In the Seahawks game there were a couple of really big moments.

Packers FGs on 4th and Goal from very short. Think they did this twice? Perhaps that is hindsight more than anything.
Wilson's pass for the 2pt conversion. I can't believe he made the pass I thought he was seriously screwed.
The onside kick failed recovery by Bostick.

So we have the Patriots and the Seahawks. I'm a little conflicted. If the Seahawks play like they did last night, they shouldn't win. If they play like their average, then I think it'll be a tough game for Brady and Co.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:05 pm 

Nah, FGs from the 1 are a massive hate of mine, horrible decisions. Packers fairy cakes the bed at the end defensively but McCarthy deserves plenty of blame for such a weak conservative effort early on. The game should have been well out of sight.

edit - "fairy cakes"? can't you just star it out like any other forum? :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:41 pm 

The problem is coaches want to not lose instead of win. I think the stats show that, really, you should be going for it on anything less than 4th and maybe 3 every time, regardless of game situation.

"Noise is a form of energy and the less you hear means the more you use for propulsion" - Ulrich Baretzky

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:56 pm 

The field goal calls at the goal line shocked me because Coach McCarthy is always so aggressive - irregardless of it being a playoff game or against Seattle. So he definitely screwed the pooch on those. Personally, I think any field goal call on a 4th and short past the opponent's 20 yard line is too conservative if you have any sort of defense (which the Packers do!) and the opponent's offense is struggling (and Seattle's was!) - but, then I'm not a coach. :-P

Rodgers played well though. Clinton-Dix did very well throughout the game, too, but just blew it on the 2 point conversion play. Just one of those "of all the plays to mess up on" kind of deals. Same for Bostick with the on-side kick. Neither of those plays should have ended the way they did. So lots of fortune for Seattle following 4 interceptions and poor offense, but that's how things go sometimes. They both had awesome seasons so both teams would have been a fitting entry to the Super Bowl. No real loser from a fan aspect unless you are a specific team's fan.

Ideal situation for me: Patriots win by two touchdowns and Brady goes up to Sherman post-game and says on live TV, "No, I'm happy, brah!" That would make my millenium as far as sports is concerned.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:36 pm 

With the first 4th and goal I can see taking the early points. The second one they should've tried to punch it in though.

The 2 point conversion was a "close your eyes and chuck it" move that worked out.

I'm not crazy about the Seahawks but I can't think of any team I dislike enough to make me root for the Pats.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:50 pm 

I have the same issue, RaggedMan.

I dislike them both so much that I doubt I will even watch the game. Maybe there will be decent movie on TV elsewhere, or maybe an old Rerun (even I love Lucy would be better), or even home shopping network? Or... I could just take a nap.

Or maybe I will be really lucky and we can have one of those wonderful "hot" days of winter, I can go for a nice drive in the convertible! (OK, so I am dreaming on that...after all, I am in Nebraska!)

Bring on the baseball season, I am ready!

wait? is there any chance Daytona Speedweeks will begin on that day?
:)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:46 pm 

I agree with Blake and Raggedman. I am not even planning on watching the Super Bowl unless I get invited to a party. Even then, I'll hang out by the food all night and only wander in to watch the commercials.

The Seahawks were such a sad sack team for so long, I was really glad they won the Super Bowl last year.

But, honestly, nothing about the team makes me want to root for them. Same with the Patriots.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:11 pm 

medgar wrote:
Nah, FGs from the 1 are a massive hate of mine, horrible decisions. Packers fairy cakes the bed at the end defensively but McCarthy deserves plenty of blame for such a weak conservative effort early on. The game should have been well out of sight.

But think of this: on both occasions if they had tried for 6 points on 4th and inches and failed they would have been crucified for not taking an easy 3 points with the FG. The golden rule is on 4th down when inside the 20 and you DON'T need a TD to win - then take the 3 points.

If was a case of 'Damned if you do, damned if you don't'!

GO HAWKS! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:21 pm 

DaveStebbins wrote:

The Seahawks were such a sad sack team for so long, I was really glad they won the Super Bowl last year.

But, honestly, nothing about the team makes me want to root for them. Same with the Patriots.

As a Seahawks fan last year ended nearly 30 years of hurt for me so I'll be watching :D

It even makes it more intense for me as the team I hate most of all are playing them. Funny thing though if the Patriots are playing in their throwback uniforms I don't mind them so much. Go figure :?

If the Hawks played like the did on Sunday tho' the Pats will lift the trophy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:04 pm 

moose22 wrote:
As a Seahawks fan last year ended nearly 30 years of hurt for me so I'll be watching :D

Yup, it was because I enjoyed watching the likes of Jim Zorn, Dave Krieg and Steve Largent that I was happy for the Seahawks last year.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:14 pm 

DaveStebbins wrote:
moose22 wrote:

Yup, it was because I enjoyed watching the likes of Jim Zorn, Dave Krieg and Steve Largent that I was happy for the Seahawks last year.

I hated the Seahawks back then because they were still in the AFC West and I grew up a Raiders fan. :)

I always like Largent though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:37 pm 

DaveStebbins wrote:
moose22 wrote:

Nothing but respect for those players. Largent is, in my mind, one of the most underrated players in NFL history, would have LOVED to have him on the Broncos.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:48 pm 

What a comeback by Seattle. Who saw that coming with only 3:45 to go. My Patriots crushed the Colts which was great, but now, surprise surprise, another 'gate'. Deflategate - this should keep us entertained for the next 10 years including throughout the super bowl. We should be punished if it turns out that we deflated the balls (apparently a $25,000 fine) and I guess we should be grateful for the negative attention (which has traditionally been motivating, unlike positive attention which sees egos flying and performance flailing), but it would be nice if we could win 1 game without being accompanied by a 'gate'.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:26 pm 

Hi, bourbon

Rough day for loyal Patriots fans. I feel for you.

It is unfortunate as even deflated balls do not explain the point difference. However, given Bellichek's history, there is always going to be less tolerance when it comes to cheating allegations for the Patriots. The fact that the league found 11 of the 12 Patriot balls significantly underflated makes things look even worse, as that leaves one ball properly inflated for kicking (harder balls travel further), and the rest for Brady and the receivers to get a good grip on a cool day. The question of course has to be "who underinflated" the balls and at whose direction. You can bet, even if the ball boys were told to do so, it is highly unlikely that the NFL will be able to trace it back to Bellicek, yet it would also be very surprising that he would not have known of it.

It is sad for the fans, such as yourself, and many of the others who are pained by this latest scandal for the team, because, no matter what additional information the League learns, no matter what punishment or lack of punishment is given out, the stain of "spygate" just got stained a lot darker for the team, for Bellichek, and this time, even Brady, as it is hard to imagine that he could not tell the balls were underflated. You might find yourself wishing it were only 10 years of being a topic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:42 pm 

This thing with the balls is not a scandal, it's a way for the media to fill two weeks of dead air until the Super Bowl. To believe that it's only the Patriots who alter their balls to suit their QB is beyond naiive. It's just like how pitchers use pine tar in baseball despite it technically being against the rules. There wasn't one ball left fully inflated for kicking either, there are a special set of kicking balls that are looked after by a league-appointed attendant during the game and used only for kicking plays.

It's the same with "spygate" (funny using that word on an F1 forum and not talking about McLaren :lol: ), the only reason people make a big deal about it is because it was the Patriots involved. The fact is, the Broncos were found guilty of a very similar offence a few years later and given a slap on the wrist yet it's never talked about.

Hell, there was an allegation that the Vikings were illegally warming their balls (oooh errr missus :blush: ) on the sidleine during their game against the Panthers. Not much coverage of that at all.

People just want to make Belichek into a villain he really isn't.

Not a Patriots fan at all, just sick of all the BS.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:55 pm 

Sorry otherguy, but you don't know that there is no scandal here. It may be the case, or... it could indeed be something much more. That is why there is still more investigation into it.

Yes, the Broncos were found out doing it, and is it a coincidence that their coach at the time was a young man who had been Bellichek's assistant at the time of the first spygate... and yes, it did get plenty of embarrassing media attention. Not as much as Bellichek's, but then, it was not new when the Broncos did it, there was already precident and at the time the Broncos were pretty pathetic... had they been a SuperBowl contender, I have no doubt it would have been worse than it was.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:16 pm 

Do you think the Patriots are the only team who play with their balls (ok, that one was deliberate :D ) to get them to their QB/WRs' likings? If no then there really isn't anything here...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:29 pm 

The thing is... even if they are not the first, nor the only ones, they apparently have gotten caught at it. And they were caught doing it in the playoffs, which only draws more attention to it. If, and let me repeat IF, there is not a feasible, LEGAL explanation, the Patriots, a team going to the SuperBowl, cheated by breaking the rules to the detriment of their competition. One cannot expect the NFL to ignore a blatant case of cheating, with a team that was caught cheating before and lost a couple of draft picks as a result.

It makes no difference that perhaps, and again there is that IF, other teams have done so... they have not been caught at it on what is the second largest "stage" in the NFL year. As I said, unless the Pats can come up with a very sensible explaination, the NFL will pretty much be forced to take action. I think that this is much more than just the media stirring up interest prior to the SuperBowl.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:49 pm 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-foo ... etter-team

If one of the players who was "cheated" doesn't think there's much of a story here, there probably isn't much of a story here.

This is something the league can address by simply making it a point of emphasis that balls will be constantly monitered to ensure their condition is constant. They could also just mandate that all ball-boys will be employees of the league like the ones who look after the K balls are instead of them working for the teams.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:58 pm 

what about the other players who DO think there is a story there.

I agree there are solutions, but IF the Pats deliberately cheated, deliberately went against the rules that guide the teams... in a playoff game no less.... should there not be a punishment? Why the free ride, when IF it happened one team had a decided advantage over the other team? I don't understand the willingness to give a team that has shown a blatant disrepect for the rules repeatedly over the years a free ride. Sorry, otherguy, I cannot accept that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:46 pm 

In my mind, the entire situation is beyond ridiculous - from the NFL's rules and testing to the Patriots even trying to push the envelope on THAT many balls to the fans response to the issue. Hell, I didn't even know the teams provided their own balls until this. LOL I automatically assumed they were provided by the NFL to keep things even.

1. If you're going to make a rule that dictates the standard size, material, and general range of pressure for the ball that the teams can use, why even allow teams to provide their own balls? The NFL should just provide and maintain their own balls that the teams have to deal with to eliminate the entire debate. NFL's first mistake.

2. If you do decide to allow the teams to provide their own balls and you're going to mandate a standard pressure, why check only before the game and then let the balls sit on the sidelines mostly unguarded? NFL's second mistake.

3. If Brady can feel that the balls are over or under pressure (as people are accusing him of at times), then certainly the officials which spot the ball EVERY SINGLE DOWN can also. If true, why the entire game went by without action is mindblowing. At the very least, the balls could have been re-checked and corrected at halftime. NFL's third mistake. I have no issue with blown calls in regards to real-time plays that were hard to analyze in a fleeting second. But when you have a whole game to determine if the balls are not the correct pressure... unacceptable from a governing/enforcing aspect.

4. On to the fans expecting a different outcome to the game - underinflated balls may have helped the Patriots sustain a few drives, but that doesn't negate the fact that Luck was held to very few completions, was intercepted, and put up 7 points in total. Even if the Patriots score half of what they did and the Colts tripled theirs, the Colts would still fall short. The Colts were physically manhandled by the Patriots defense and offense irregardless of ball pressure. Personally, I don't think the score would have changed at all with correct ball pressure.

5. Patriots. Why even bother? You're good enough to challenge anyone. Disappointed with whoever allowed it to happen, even if I think the rule is absurd. You still have to abide by the rules. And while some of "spygate" rules were definitely gray area, a specified pressure number is not a gray area. Unacceptable at the end of the day. Definitely needs punishment in some form.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:55 pm 

What I don't get is how the game went on without anyone noticing. In football (soccer) you notice the ball isn't properly inflated tell the ref he has a feel and gets it changed. Even in Sunday league football down the park!

Surely a colts player could have alerted the ref?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:05 pm 

Honda Quick wrote:
3. If Brady can feel that the balls are over or under pressure (as people are accusing him of at times), then certainly the officials which spot the ball EVERY SINGLE DOWN can also. If true, why the entire game went by without action is mindblowing. At the very least, the balls could have been re-checked and corrected at halftime. NFL's third mistake. I have no issue with blown calls in regards to real-time plays that were hard to analyze in a fleeting second. But when you have a whole game to determine if the balls are not the correct pressure... unacceptable from a governing/enforcing aspect.

This isn't necessarily true. I do a bit of of officiating so, as a test, I got a ball, inflated it to 13 psi, had a feel of it, then let 2 psi out of it. Unless you're actively squeezing the ball, you can't really notice the difference, you certainly wouldn't if you were just tossing it back after the end of a play.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:04 pm 

pubpokerplayer wrote:
What I don't get is how the game went on without anyone noticing. In football (soccer) you notice the ball isn't properly inflated tell the ref he has a feel and gets it changed. Even in Sunday league football down the park!

Surely a colts player could have alerted the ref?

That is what happened. After an interception in the first half, the Colts player gave the ball to one of the Colts coaches, who brought it to the attention of another who then notified the officials. The officials then discussed it with the Patriots, and apparently, the balls used by the Pats were up to regulation standards.

Must have warmed up considerably in the second half.
;)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:09 pm 

Honda Quick wrote:

Actually, Honda, I believe the "correction" was made at half-time. As I understand it, they have set aside 12 balls per half. After the Colts made the officials aware of the deflated ball, they notified the Pats and either the second half balls Maintained their air, or they were not deflated?

As for players not noticing it... (Colts players that is....), they don't normally touch the footballs of the opposition, unless there is a turn over such as the interception that started all of this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:17 am 

TheOtherGuy wrote:
Honda Quick wrote:

This isn't necessarily true. I do a bit of of officiating so, as a test, I got a ball, inflated it to 13 psi, had a feel of it, then let 2 psi out of it. Unless you're actively squeezing the ball, you can't really notice the difference, you certainly wouldn't if you were just tossing it back after the end of a play.

With all due respect, Walt Anderson has 11 years (NCAA) and 18 years (NFL) trained and field experience with a football. As the head referee, he is responsible for the integrity of the game, just like the stewards and parc ferme inspectors for F1 on a competition weekend. He spots the balls and has every chance to handle them how he sees fit to do so. He should also be checking throughout the game. Personally, knowing how hard it is to tell the difference by hand of tires with 2 psi difference at any pressure, I have no doubt the difference is negligible with a football, too. And if that's the case, and if Blake is correct in saying a correction was made at halftime (and the Patriots actually did better AFTER halftime) then there was little to no effect of ball deflation, it's a ridiculous rule to have set up they way they have, but at the end of the day, is a rule, and should be punished in some manner.

But the NFL needs held accountable for fixing such a silly situation. Given the opposing team doesn't touch the other team's ball, they should be able to use whatever pressure they see fit, and if not, then the NFL should provide BOTH teams a standard ball with standard pressure. It's so simple to correct. To me, it doesn't matter which way it swings. You can't straddle the middle ground though or you're just asking for trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:04 pm 

The ball thing, for my money, is just to keep people talking about the big game in the mainstream media a bit more. I think either there should be a set limit on what pressures etc a ball can have which is then checked randomly a few times a game or between quarters or something, OR have the league provide balls that have all been filled to regulation pressure and don't let anyone from the teams get their hands on them except on the pitch (or "field" I suppose).

What's everyone doing for the Superbowl?

I'm going to my friends for it. We are going to get a whole sickening array of "american" style foods (pizza, wings, tex-mex, crisps and dip etc). The Madden NFL Superbowl Predictor (us playing against each other as the two SB teams) is an obvious certainty. Though last year the Broncos won that. I'll be sitting in purple, no doubt with more caffeine in my system than I can healthily handle. I'll also need to put £10 in my betting account. Few beers added in and we should have a good evening.

On the plus side, the walk home will be quicker this year than any other.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:12 pm 

Tried to get tickets to the Superbash but failed so likely round a friend's house as well. Can't really like either team so just hoping for an entertaining game.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:27 pm 

To be honest, the person who'll be on the field that I'm the biggest fan of is Katy Perry at halftime.

Not a fan of either team.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:07 pm 

TheOtherGuy wrote:
To be honest, the person who'll be on the field that I'm the biggest fan of is Katy Perry at halftime.

Not a fan of either team.

Agreed.

I will probably have the TV on in the background as I play some Path of Exile or Warframe, or just surf my Facebook and Twitter feeds.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:26 pm 

I'm not a huge follower of NFL but as the firm I work for has it's HQ in Boston I tend to follow Pats, Red Sox, Celts and Bruins for the domestic sports. I was fortunate enough to be on that side of the pond during a Superbowl many years back (may have been as far back as 2002) when the Patriots won. Not at the game itself but in the Ne England area with colleagues. So I'll be rooting for them again come Sunday week.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:16 pm 

I'm on the same boat as everyone else though I'll probably root for the Seahawks due to the whole deflategate thing, and I want to see back to back champions as well. I wouldn't be mad if the Pats won instead, though.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:23 pm 

I like the Patriots more than the Seahawks but as a fan of an NFC team, I almost feel some transferred glory is an NFC team wins it.

That said, I'll be supporting the Patriots next weekend. Looking forward to the Superbowl, as I do every year, now. Not so much the game, but the relatively grand occasion that it is. Staying up late. Getting to watch NFL with people (I only do this maybe 5 times in regular season). Eating crappy food. Drinking beers until the small hours. The obligatory Madden game to see who will win (I'll be playing as the Patriots against my friend). Putting a bet on whichever team wins the Madden game. The coin toss bet (£1 makes the coin toss surprisingly tense - maybe I'm just cheap).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:19 pm 

I am going to an Steak place. Staying open for the game. Should be a good laugh. This is my first season watching NFL. Got the Monday off of work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:12 pm 

mac_d wrote:
The ball thing, for my money, is just to keep people talking about the big game in the mainstream media a bit more.

Most likely given the Brady and the Patriots posted a world beating 55% passing completion rate, an interception, and a fumble in the first half (when said footballs were underinflated). Then proceeded to rack up an 80% completion rate and no turnovers when the balls were properly inflated despite rain in both halves. I'd have to say, when Belechik tries to push the envelope, he at least gets a performance advantage from it. And they didn't.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:11 pm 

My festivities will be kicking off at about 2pm.

I need to resupply on some booze, and I live close to Hampden Park and the Old Firm game is on so I'm going to wait until that starts before I head out.

My buddy is coming round. We have a selection of silliness planned.

I'm leaning Patriots but I think by 7-13 points in the end. Unfortunately, part of me feels that writing that here will alter the result. I'm not superstitious,but I am a little stitious.

Amusing video of Conan O'Brian having Gronk and Lynch play the new Mortal Kombat game. I found it amusing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNpkSyryQz4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:48 pm 

I have my Super Bowl bets in (only time of the year I actually do it)...

Coin toss to be tails

Gronk to score the first TD

A Patriots win

Under 47 points

Less than 6 hours!