planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Post subject: Re: NFL thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:36 pm 

Blake wrote:
I am loving seeing the enthusiasm here....

Very glad you all had fun at the game, and congrats on overcoming your fumbleitis, P4E... I don't suppose they let you keep the football for a souvenir?
;)

If I recall correctly he tried to get some officials' attention so he could pass the ball but they wouldn't look over at him.

I was watching your every move P4E...

FA#14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:48 am 

So now I've got internet access through a device other than my phone, I've caught up on most of the weekends games.

Firstly - Seahawks! Spectacular comeback. They look like a force to be reckoned with.

Secondly - However, the Broncos look like a more powerful force. Peyton Manning looks to be in some of the best form of his career at the moment, and let's be honest, his average is pretty damn spectacular. The over/under on Wins for regular season for them is 13.5! Seahawks are at 12.5.

Maybe I'm writing off the other AFC teams too soon. The Pats and Chiefs are both also 4-0 but I just think Manning is on such good for that barring an injury to him or one of the receivers (as switching to new receivers can often cause significant issues) they will be mighty. We'll see how it plays out, but Denver get my nod currently.

Seahawks and Saint's are both 4-0 in the NFC, with similar stats at the moment. And the Lions and Bears both look pretty good at this point too. I expect the NFC to be the more interesting conference.

Anywho, news is that Ponder will be returning as Viking's QB when he is fit again. I'm not sure I would agree with that decision. Cassel looked pretty good against the Steelers, and should still be in at Week 6 for the Cardinals game. If he puts in a good show there, the picture is yet more muddied.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:25 pm 

I kinda want to see Denver @ Dallas Cowboys but I got up at 5:30 for the Grand Prix so I'm pretty sleepy right now.

Ravens edged Miami, but all I could think of is how teeny tiny Ray Rice looked.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:03 pm 

Despite the Cowgirls quick start, Peyton is proving why he's the league's number one. He's carving up their D.

"It's hammer time!"

British Driver Supporter (and Daniel Ricciardo)

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:52 pm 

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:45 pm 

I'm sure that, for the neutrals, all that airborne offence was a joy to watch. And as a Broncos' fan, it was good to see that we could find a way to win when it mattered.

But you can't say you played well if you allow 51 points on the board. Theoretical easier game next against the Jaguars, but a lot of difficult games coming up. We need Von Miller and Champ Bailey back.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:18 pm 

If Manning keeps playing and putting up the number's the way he is currently then I don't see the defensive flaws being that much of an issue. If they score 40, Denver will score 41 and all that...

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:53 pm 

mac_d wrote:
I kinda want to see Denver @ Dallas Cowboys but I got up at 5:30 for the Grand Prix so I'm pretty sleepy right now.

Ravens edged Miami, but all I could think of is how teeny tiny Ray Rice looked.

Appearent size is a funny thing when it comes to seeing atheletes on TV. You see some NBA players and think they're not that tall only to look up their stats and find that they're 6' 3" while everyone is around them is 6' 10".

Football players it can be even stranger. I've got 5"-6" on Rice in height but he probably has 50 lbs on me in weight so I really wouldn't want to be the one on the feild trying to bring him down.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:26 pm 

Wow, Broncos at Dallas was a right barn burner!

I couldn't believe the Broncos pulled it off, and I feel a little sorry for Romo, though he still had over 500 yards for one interception and lot to a team that looks pretty almighty.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:05 am 

A rather nasty story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24502320

Adrian Petersen's 2 year old son was beaten to death by the mother's boyfriend.

He said earlier in the week he'd play, but I am not so sure. It's a terrible thing, I don't think even the most dedicated person could think about silly games at times like this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:02 am 

The whole thing's kinda f**ked up, obviously you've got the guy who beat a 2 year old to death, you've got a woman who's happy to date and leave her child with a man with multiple convictions for violent crimes then you've got AP who, until quite recently, was keeping the fact that the child even existed a secret. The kid was let down by every adult in his life and didn't stand a chance.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

Last edited by Pedrosa_4_Ever on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:52 pm 

sadly, that is very true, P4E.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:32 pm 

Argentum wrote:
I'm sure that, for the neutrals, all that airborne offence was a joy to watch. And as a Broncos' fan, it was good to see that we could find a way to win when it mattered.

But you can't say you played well if you allow 51 points on the board. Theoretical easier game next against the Jaguars, but a lot of difficult games coming up. We need Von Miller and Champ Bailey back.

Makes it fun to watch though. Jaguars game should be painful viewing, Broncos opened as 28 point favourites in the betting markets, crazy.

Cardinals fan myself, ridiculous how the NFCW has go so quickly from being a horrible division to one of the toughest so quickly. Lots of barren years ahead unless they pick up another Kurt Warner :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:57 pm 

I honestly expected Vikings to beat the Panthers but wow, the worst Vikings result of the season (I think, I didn't check). I didn't see much but it looked like a heavy Cassel game. I had hoped Cassel would have a good game. 1 TD and 2 INT isn't going to inspire anyone to keep him in play over the likes of Ponder. Vikings have been lost dince Favre retired (again).

Denver... 14-0 up already!

Saints @ Patriots. Looking good, Brees in good form against the Pats defense.

Arizona @ 49ers. I'm strugglign to tell the players part.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:52 am 

So Raiders when their first game after a bi-week in a long long time, Broncos look incredibly strong even if they have looked a little shaky in more recent games to start, but still getting the job done! are ALL NFL seasons this interesting? just this is my first full season, normally just watch the super bowl and maybe the play off matches just before..

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:14 pm 

Angel De La Muerte wrote:
So Raiders when their first game after a bi-week in a long long time, Broncos look incredibly strong even if they have looked a little shaky in more recent games to start, but still getting the job done! are ALL NFL seasons this interesting? just this is my first full season, normally just watch the super bowl and maybe the play off matches just before..

Best season ever for it was 2007. Patriots went undefeated through regular season and went to the Super Bowl final. The Giants got there with 10-6 regular season and looked pretty shaky iirc. Giants ended up winning that game and spawned that 18-1 motivational poster. However, the friend who got me into NFL said I should put some money on the Giants at the playoffs stage. So I did. I put on like £5 and ended up with like £50 or something. That was sweet.

This season, the Chiefs! Didn't see that coming. Kapernick looks to be hitting good form and confidence in his fitness for the 49ers. The Colt's defeat of the Broncos seemed to kill their momentum quite a lot but they build it up again and Peyton Manning keeps this form we could have some real interesting match ups. I watched the entirety of the Green Bay @ Vikings game last night (recorded from Monday Morning). Green Bay looked like they had a really strong set of running backs and Rodgers was on typically good form. Lacy and Starks may have been flattered by the flawed as a gherkin Vikings Defense. Nelson was catching some balls he has no right to. If the rest of the receivers that Rodgers is used to come back, they might be about to build up a head of steam.

And dear god, the Vikings need a Quarter Back. I missed Freeman's game so I can't say too much about him. However, Ponder doesn't have it. There was a play Sunday night where Greg Jennings drops his man and has enough space to build a house. Ponder has time to make the pass but doesn't. That play could well have been the difference between a first down or touch down and yet another turnover. Cassel is good on a good day, but he varies so much in his level of play in any given game. At least he managed to bring the Vikings to a victory. I did enjoy the 4th and short run by AP. I wonder how many other Coaches would have had confidence in their RB to pull that off. While the final result doesn't look that bad, in truth the result absolutely flatters the Vikings. They were entirely outclassed on both offense and defense. I really hope Freeman gets fit and turns out to be the guy to lead the franchise. Ponder isn't the guy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 pm 

So I had a pretty good view for Sunday's game (again!):

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:22 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

all hail the mods hell man, that is pretty sweet. I'd be nervous about an out of bounds throw hitting me in the nads. Or worse, a tackle taking two players out of bounds and running in to you. Imagine 35 stone of NFL player crashing into your face at a fair ol' speed.

So, I don't think I asked this before, how did you get that job? Do you work for the NFL or Wembley or what?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:45 pm 

Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

What game, P4E? I don't see you watching a game, though I will admit that you have a pretty good view!
:nod:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:01 am 

mac_d wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:

all hail the mods hell man, that is pretty sweet. I'd be nervous about an out of bounds throw hitting me in the nads. Or worse, a tackle taking two players out of bounds and running in to you. Imagine 35 stone of NFL player crashing into your face at a fair ol' speed.

So, I don't think I asked this before, how did you get that job? Do you work for the NFL or Wembley or what?

Funny you should say that, this is me losing my fairy cakes, in full panic mode, as a couple of players headed straight towards me:

Basically got the job because I referee American football in this country and the NFL ask our association to provide the officials' assistants.

Other highlights of my weekend included sitting in on the referees' pre-game meeting (and being in awe of Ed Hochuli's arms) and getting to go to the NFL's post-game reception which had Joe Montana and a few other big names in attendance and (more importantly ;) ) a free bar. Ended up getting trashed into the early hours with a couple of the referees from the game.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:22 pm 

Watching NFL Redzone on Sky Sports to try and catch a glimpse of the Vikings Cowboys game amongst others.

Actually, Redzone is great. No advert breaks and pretty much non-stop action. You miss the complete story of the games but you see a lot of good stuff.

Vikings are up 10-6 at the moment and actually look not half bad. Ponder is an odd one and under pressure he is not great. Then again, he just ran in a TD which may well be the thing that makes my night so he gets a pass. Looks like Cassel is backup. Freeman was cleared to playa gain. FFS, can the Vikings pick a QB and let the guy play a little bit? Can the QBs stop getting flattened?

Defense looked good tonight in the very few plays I have been able to catch. I'd like to get NFL Gameplass to watch the Vikings every week but it is quite expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:14 pm 

Blake wrote:
Pedrosa_4_Ever wrote:
Massive american football fan here (also referee it here in the UK and even I maybe don't know all the rules :lol: )!

Don't be one of the people who picks New England as a team because its got England in the name, it ignores the fact that their mascot is one of those people who handed our donkeys to us in 1776 ;) .

I'm ashamed to admit that I'm a Browns fan, every year just gets little bit more depressing.

Anyway, I recommend that, if you get chance, you watch some college football. They get massive crowds (biggest is like 110000) and the atmosphere is fantastic. Everyone (fans, coaches, players) is really passionate, the NFL is a little sterile in comparison.

I know most people outside of the USA are totally baffled by the popularity of College sports in the US, but you are spot on, P4E.... there are a great many more outrageously avid college football fans than even the NFL.... for all the reasons you mentioned.

As for Cleveland, the city whose love for John Elway knows no boundries, it looks like the Browns defense should be pretty good this year, but the offense still needs some help.

The best part is both the NFL and college seasons are off to a great start, and it is only going to get better!
:]

'Huskers Blake. Don't you just love a last second Hail Mary victory? (Don't know if you support them, but gonna guess that you follow them)

I still remember one for the Buffaloes in the 90s

Can You Feel It? :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:02 pm 

Indeed, Argentum... I did indeed love the "hail Mary" play...and was shocked by it as well. I also really feel for the Northwestern kids... they certainly played well enough to get the win, in truth, I think they outplayed the Huskers. So that has to be really painful.

I too remember the Kordell Stewart "hail Mary" to beat Michigan... at that time I was excited for the Buffs too. Seeing as I came from Colorado, but had been teaching in Nebraska for several years. besides, it was a Big 8 win over the Big 10.... A win-win for me.

However, today, I am paying for my joy from yesterday, as I am getting my donkey kicked in both of my fantasy football leagues.
:(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:39 pm 

Went to sleep at HT of Broncos/Pats game, lol me.

Nice time to be a Cardinals fan again, finally actually resembling a proper team. If only they weren't in such a horrific division :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 am 

I hope some one else saw Q1 of the Eagles game last night. Pretty much blizzard conditions, and about 6 inches of snow on the field. Was hilarious.

And Vikings lost with the lead in the last minute again. Argh... I'm beginning to wish I had picked a team that was better than this. Still, I stick by my team! I don't mean to fairy cakes on Ponder, but if I was Frazier, I'd keep my game on Cassel. Like it or not, the guy is better than Ponder. 2TDs and no INTs last night. Ponder has, in his short history, thrown a lot of INTs for every TD. 38TDs and 34INTs. Cassel 89:61. Ponder also always looks like a deer in the headlights whenever the defense breaks through.

The real difference between the best teams and the medicore or bad teams is 3rd down efficiency. Vikings have given it away a lot this year.

And Peyton Manning looks towards the record for season TD passes. 51 is the Brady record. Manning needs 6 to tie, 7 to take it and has 3 games to pull this off in. His best game of the season had him throw 7 TD passes. Good luck to him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:13 pm 

mac_d wrote:
I hope some one else saw Q1 of the Eagles game last night. Pretty much blizzard conditions, and about 6 inches of snow on the field. Was hilarious.

And Vikings lost with the lead in the last minute again. Argh... I'm beginning to wish I had picked a team that was better than this. Still, I stick by my team! I don't mean to fairy cakes on Ponder, but if I was Frazier, I'd keep my game on Cassel. Like it or not, the guy is better than Ponder. 2TDs and no INTs last night. Ponder has, in his short history, thrown a lot of INTs for every TD. 38TDs and 34INTs. Cassel 89:61. Ponder also always looks like a deer in the headlights whenever the defense breaks through.

The real difference between the best teams and the medicore or bad teams is 3rd down efficiency. Vikings have given it away a lot this year.

And Peyton Manning looks towards the record for season TD passes. 51 is the Brady record. Manning needs 6 to tie, 7 to take it and has 3 games to pull this off in. His best game of the season had him throw 7 TD passes. Good luck to him.

That whole Eagles game was just crazy!! but makes me like NFL even more for not calling off the game or delaying... so much so I have no booked my season pass for the UK games next year, never been to a game before, but next year I got three!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:37 pm 

Angel De La Muerte wrote:

That whole Eagles game was just crazy!! but makes me like NFL even more for not calling off the game or delaying... so much so I have no booked my season pass for the UK games next year, never been to a game before, but next year I got three!!

Sweet dude. I think I might go to a game this year. I'm less motivated as the Vikings aren't playing but I had so much damn fun at the game last year that I think I want to go again. Everyone that was in town for the game was in a good mood so you could pretty much just start a chat with anyone. Seriously, I had a great time and I hope you do too.

I don't know which game I'd go to (and I can only afford 1 game). Lions Falcons could be cool. Though the liklihood of better weather in September makes me want to go to the Raiders Dolphins game.

And playing in that much snow, while detrimental to the game, was still a major spectacle. My father and I watched it and found it something pretty special.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:21 pm 

Looking at Lions / Falcons as well, just hope everyone is fit and on form. Megatron and Jones at the top of their game would be awesome to watch live

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:34 pm 

yeah I only being able to afford this, on the 'club VIP' level due to the fact my car insurance was cheaper than expected! think it said I would be Row 13...

There are reasons I went for all three as well...

Raiders are my team, I knwo they are not the best at the moment, but considering my love for heavy metal, and rock, and all things, punk and rock, there was no other choice!
Falcons and Lions, well come on, as you said , if all fit and well, it should be a good game..
Cowboys and the Jags, will likely be a domination game, lots fo TDs I hope, plus just the fact the cowboys being one of the biggest teams, and having a little bit of a soft spot for the Jags..

Also needing to drive I needed to go for the lower level VIP, so I have the bar /cafe up to 4 hours before the game, means I can hopefully get there nice and early and get a nice parking spot!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:56 pm 

I went down on the Sleeper the Thursday before the game and got the sleeper back on the Monday night. (Glasgow -> Euston).

I think the whole trip cost about £500 each. A lot of money - comparable to a weekend at Silverstone (£600 est.) or a music festival (£350 est.).

Me and my dad stayed in Wembley which meant insane hotel prices on the Sat/Sun nights which I think I'd avoid now I've seen the travel links (I assumed Wembley would have good public transport but you never know). I think I could save £100 on that. I'd also go for Friday night travel or perhaps travel during the day depending on prices. I like the idea of sleeper trains, though I found them hideous to be alive on.

The real trouble, I don't make very much money. I want to do Download next year and Silverstone too. NFL would be 3rd on my list. If I did all 3, we'd be talking £1350 ish. That is about 10% of my annual income. I only have about £200 income a month not allocated for other things, so... yeah... unlikely to be going on this trip. If I walked 4 miles into work and 4 back every day I could save another £50/month. Plus, I might finally stop being a flabby mess too. I don't have money problems, but I do have limitations. I wish they had an NFL game at Hampden, I live like 5 minutes away!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:23 pm 

yeah I got it fairly easy in terms of location, its maybe only about an hours drive, or about hour and a half for public transport!

I was looking at getting a season pass for Brands Hatch for next year but that is now not an option, I have never been to an f1 race, but its on the list, its just it will cost that much more as Silverstone is a little way from me, if it were ever to come back to Brands Hatch I would be there in a shot! as that track is about 30-45 minutes away if that!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:49 am 

Cassel we love you!

Vikings won. Need to celebrate, pretty rare occurrence this year.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:26 pm 

Still some bizarre scenarios possible including Patriots missing out on playoffs, Chiefs, Panthers and 49ers still could get 1 or 2 seeds as well. Cardinals despite being 9-5 have almost no chance of playoffs, so frustrating when looking at the mess that is the AFC :\

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:02 pm 

medgar wrote:
Still some bizarre scenarios possible including Patriots missing out on playoffs, Chiefs, Panthers and 49ers still could get 1 or 2 seeds as well. Cardinals despite being 9-5 have almost no chance of playoffs, so frustrating when looking at the mess that is the AFC :\

I don't think it's quite no chance, they're a game out the playoffs and their fate's still in their own hands, win out and they're in (granted those last two games are the Niners and the Hawks but any given Sunday and all that fairy cakes).

Edit: My bad, they need Carolina to drop one of their two games too (probably the Saints one since I'm presuming the Falcons will lose to both the Panthers and the 49ers). They then tie Carolina's record and go in because of the head-to-head.

"It's hammer time!"

Greg Moore - Dan Wheldon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:54 pm 

Realistically need Panthers to lose both. Most likely scenario to get in is Panthers lose out, Cards lose @ Seattle and beat 49ers to get in 10-6,with 49ers beating Falcons to take 5th seed at 11-5. Only other scenarios involves Cards winning at Seattle and 49ers losing out. Cards automatically lose any 3 way tiebreaker so chances are even winning both games leaves them screwed. They need Falcons to beat someone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:14 pm 

11-5 and missing playoffs well and truly on :(

Cards with an elite QB and a better OL would be scary. Defense is amazing.

AFC wildcard is crazy, don't think I've ever seen a situation where not one team can control its own destiny. Outcomes below:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:34 pm 

this is cool, I think the NFL should have a team based in London. it takes about the same time for you to fly from Miami to Seattle than it does Miami to London give or take an hour. There are tons of expats in London and sponsors would line up to support not to mention fans from UK and Europe.
My UK buddies that live in the US become addicted to NFL football. I would love to see a team based there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:41 pm 

AstoriaisBACK wrote:
this is cool, I think the NFL should have a team based in London. it takes about the same time for you to fly from Miami to Seattle than it does Miami to London give or take an hour. There are tons of expats in London and sponsors would line up to support not to mention fans from UK and Europe.
My UK buddies that live in the US become addicted to NFL football. I would love to see a team based there.

I honestly don't think a London based team is viable.

I love American Football, and I love going to the games that are played in London. I drive 200 miles to watch those and, when I get there, find that many others have done the same, and more.

It is expensive, but worth it for a special event. And there's the key I think for its sustainability - as long as the events are special, lots of people will pay for the tickets and travel large distances to see them. If they get a Londin based team, and have eight games every season, I'm not convinced there are enough people with the dedication, and the money, to keep the crowds large enough to make the project viable in the long term - particularly if the local team are not doing too well.

Don't get me wrong, if it happens, and I had the money, I would be there every week. But I haven't, so I won't be. I suspect the situation would be the same for a lot of the people who currently help to make the games a sell out at present.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:56 am 

Argentum hits the nail on the head I think.

I think that as the number of games played in the UK increases, the likelihood of me going to one decreases dramatically. I love the special occasion big game feeling London had this year. It wasn't really about team A and team B, it was just an excuse for a laugh and getting to see a game we like played live. If you have a London based team you'd need to move a franchise (I think this would be an issue) and then I'm not going to support a London/English/British team over the Vikings. A franchise couldn't afford to start completely fresh and American Football is a very small sport in the UK. I don't think they'd get the pickles in seats to cover costs over a 17 week period. And would Wembley/another stadium be available for that length of time or would the new franchise want/need a new Stadium built?

I don't think it is sustainable to have a UK team and I think even 3 games takes the shine off it more than 2, which is the perfect number imo.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:15 pm 

So Carlin Isles (fastest man in rugby) has been signed by the Detroit Lions practise squad. Don't know much about him and don't watch rugby, but a while ago I saw the now famous video of him.. Pretty fast :nod:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA5bwqVN5LM