planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:03 pm 

To prevent other teams from using them.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:09 pm 

Not quite sure how different from an existing solution an item needs to be before you can get a patent and if a very different solution then falls outside of what are fairly tight regs. Also not sure if the time frame to get patent granted (in how many jurisdictions?) would be short enough. Wow that steering rack from the 2007 car just got patented, pity we don't use it anymore!
If you have a part you wish to patent and its internal (not visible from outside the car) do you worry about others copying it? If it is visible but not yet patented how do you prevent copying?
Just as I typed the above it struck me that the concern may not be the other teams but rather patenting a solution that has, for instance, road car applications in which case maybe they can but how big of a distraction is that for a team unless they have a separate department to take care of such matters.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:23 pm 

One important part of patent is full disclosure. That means the whole lot and the theory behind it.

Quite apart from that, you would probably find there is little new on most of what is done, just different ways of using existing technology. Had Lotus patented ground effect they maybe would have had a case as I dont believe that had been used before, but I really cant think of anything else. Mclarens F duct was not new, just an innovative way of activating it.

The cars have to follow regs quite closely so I would not have thought there would be enough slack to claim something was new and innovative.

Besides if they did, you can bet it would be banned as an unfair advantage anyway.
It also takes 3 months or more to push a patent, by which time everyone would have copied it and altered it just enough to claim it is not the same thing. Then the season would be over.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:38 pm 

If you want to know if teams have applied for any patents, then just do a search here: http://worldwide.espacenet.com/advanced ... cale=en_EP

Applicant is the name of the business that applied for the patent, and inventor is the person who came up with the idea.

McLaren Automotive have several patents, but McLaren Racing (the team) have none.
Williams have a couple from '87 and '93 but nothing since then.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:25 pm 

I believe that the FIA tells the teams that anything they patent will be banned in the interests of competition. Remember it being mentioned before.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:24 pm 

Patenting requires explaining (and publishing) how something works meaning that other teams would know how it worked and would be able to work out how to do the same from the principals of it.

However, most of the stuff they do isn't patentable anyway because they aren't inventing new stuff, they're often just using existing tech in a new way.

McLaren use a revolutionary method of making carbon fibre in their road car, however they haven't patented it because they would have to reveal how they do it. By keeping it secret they prevent rival companies from learning how they do it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:59 pm 

I think Ferrari patented their use of CO2 in the tyres. It certainly wasn't allowed for other teams.