planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:53 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:19 pm 

Hello!

I know that this is still speculation, Michelins re-entry from 2014 onwards, but for knowledge sake I would like to know from the experts here the reasoning behind their insistence on producing tyres which would require 18" rims should they enter F1 again? How would this effect the cars from a technical point of view?
Also, How would it benefit the sport and Michelin ?
Article:
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... -from-2014

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:51 pm 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it just the rears that they want larger?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:03 pm 
The current rims have a maximum diameter of 13 inches. By having such a small rim it forces the teams to have tires with large sidewalls, and compact brakes.

First the sidewalls, integral with the handling of the car. Their properties are very relevant in the car setup. But for a manufacturer, old school and out of touch with the trend to have large diameter rims and small sidewalls. And it makes sense from a marketing perspective. If you want to sell Formula One derived tires to your customers, they should look the same. And customers want sexy low profile tires.

ImageImage

Just as relevant are the brakes. The size of the rims force the teams to develop powerful brakes in a very compact space. If you allow them more room, then the challenge to develop brakes diminishes, and anyone can develop brakes good enough not to be an issue in a Formula One race.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:44 am 

Lower profile tyres will force the teams to completely redesign their suspension as the high sidewalls mean that most of the suspension travel comes from the tyres.

Also, lower profile tyres would have a smaller contact patch with the track would be reduced as the tyre would not deform as much. Brakes would be easier to cool, and it might be possible to put in aerodynamic elements in the wheel hub to feed air to the diffuser - although McLaren did research this for the 13 inch rims (I know this because I wrote to them with the idea and they wrote back saying they'd looked into it and it didn't work) and found it was ineffective. With larger rims it may be possible - although I imagine it would get outlawed within in a couple of seasons.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:51 am 

I guess the only benefit to Michelin from a technical perspective would possible new information they can learn for low profile tyres based on how F1 cars would react and development thereon. Nothing new to learn from tyres that have been the same for years now eh.... Fair enough.
Also, Based on what you've mentioned here if this went forward, It would force all the teams to do a complete re-design of their cars if Michelin had their way
Thanks for the info both!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:10 am 

Would be interesting to see what kind of rims and tyres would be used if the design was free and up to the teams.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:25 pm 

These are the Audi R18 front tires.
Michelin Radial, front: 360/710-18; rear: 370/710-18

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:30 pm 
Or maybe...

It's a shame we could not see more wheels...

In the interests of Formula One aerodynamics, small wheels at the front make sense.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:33 pm 

Assuming of course the outer shell is larger too, not kept to a very low profile, it is far less strain on the tyre as the tread area is moving more slowly and would have more area in contact with the road as the circumference would be considerably longer.

If this plays any part in their thinking I dont know though