planetf1.com

It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 2:53 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: F1 2014 (the game)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:08 pm 

Hi guys, I would really like to know what's F1 2014 the game by codemasters like this year? I have read mixed reviews but would love to hear what other people think of it.

I hated F1 2013 I found the cars handling bad, I really liked F1 2010 and F1 2010 where I found the cars much better to drive, for instance I could drive a Marussia and get points. If I drive a F.I can win.

F1 2013 I am lucky to finish 20th in a Marussia and about 15th in a F.I, however I did win in Brazil driving Massa's Ferrari. F1 2012 was OK but not as good as the ones before.

SO what's 2014 like, I know for a last gen console game it is quite expensive but I'd like to know!!

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: F1 2014 (the game)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:07 pm 

Going by what you find a good F1 game (not criticising just stating) I think you won't like it.

I consider an F1 game where I can drive a Marrussia to the points something that would break the immersion and therefore is a bad thing. Imo the 2012 and 13 versions are miles better than the 2010 version and do a much more realistic job.

In short 2014 is 2013 reskinned but as I mentioned in another thread it has a different soul and feels fresh in many ways. But the core of the game is based off the 2013 game. Not a lot of effort was put into upgrading the game as they are focussing on a new engine for the 2015 version.

Personally I consider the game good just like the 2013 game. Its a game that does a lot of things right. But if you don't like 2013 then the chances of you liking 2014 can't be too good.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:54 am 

JMILAT wrote:
Going by what you find a good F1 game (not criticising just stating) I think you won't like it.

I consider an F1 game where I can drive a Marrussia to the points something that would break the immersion and therefore is a bad thing. Imo the 2012 and 13 versions are miles better than the 2010 version and do a much more realistic job.

In short 2014 is 2013 reskinned but as I mentioned in another thread it has a different soul and feels fresh in many ways. But the core of the game is based off the 2013 game. Not a lot of effort was put into upgrading the game as they are focussing on a new engine for the 2015 version.

Personally I consider the game good just like the 2013 game. Its a game that does a lot of things right. But if you don't like 2013 then the chances of you liking 2014 can't be too good.

Thank You.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:36 am 

My opinion would be to wait until f1 2015 comes out.

As JMILAT said, it's not much more than a reskin of 2013 and doesn't really do much for how the cars are different this year to last year.

I have to say that of all the Codenasters f1 games, I prefered 2010 as well. But that's mainly cause the achievements/trophies were better, the online lobby system was simpler and more effective and they hadn't put those stupid animations on that have jo impact on the gameplay and as you can't customise your helmet or appearance just seem pointless!

But f1 2015 is being released at the start of next season and is supposed be updated regularly reflect the teams actual performance during the season. So if a team gains a bit of lap time due to development, that should be reflected in the game as well. Sounds much more immersive to me :nod:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:07 am 

minchy wrote:

As JMILAT said, it's not much more than a reskin of 2013 and doesn't really do much for how the cars are different this year to last year.

I have to say that of all the Codenasters f1 games, I prefered 2010 as well. But that's mainly cause the achievements/trophies were better, the online lobby system was simpler and more effective and they hadn't put those stupid animations on that have jo impact on the gameplay and as you can't customise your helmet or appearance just seem pointless!

But f1 2015 is being released at the start of next season and is supposed be updated regularly reflect the teams actual performance during the season. So if a team gains a bit of lap time due to development, that should be reflected in the game as well. Sounds much more immersive to me :nod:

They could easily do that on current gen consoles now, but they simply can't be bothered. Besides, I fail to see how making a Force India quicker or slower from one weekend to another would make the game 'more immersive'. Immersive to me would be a full helmet designer, a proper career mode, a podium celebration, etc.

Honestly the more I read into CM's 'plans' for the F1 series, the more embarrassed I get. I pray they prove me wrong.

2016 Position: 17th (2824 points)

#KeepFightingMichael
#JB17

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:46 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:
minchy wrote:

They could easily do that on current gen consoles now, but they simply can't be bothered. Besides, I fail to see how making a Force India quicker or slower from one weekend to another would make the game 'more immersive'. Immersive to me would be a full helmet designer, a proper career mode, a podium celebration, etc.

Honestly the more I read into CM's 'plans' for the F1 series, the more embarrassed I get. I pray they prove me wrong.

I do agree to an extent, and I don't know how it's going to work in reality as different players have different skill levels. So unless they alter cars in relation to individual player skill it may not work at all.

I've always wondered why there is no helmet and to a lesser extent driver editor. There's different helmet designs available, but not very good ones. And as there is no features editor, we always see the driver with the helmet on and always with the same eyes that for some reason always remind me of Buemi! I don't see why they can't go all out and make it possible to create a full new team? They'd still have all the others there that the sponsors want to see, but I'd like to be able to start a team from scratch with a starting fund then gaining sponsors, developing with added funds, hiring a driver (real or made up), designing livery etc. Almost like they have done with the GRID games. It would be a nice addition to be able to use the game almost like a management game, where you can hire 2 drivers and have a simulated race, or drive yourself and save money on a driver, but employ a TP instead.

Things like that would be great imo and shouldn't be too hard for them to do? But one of my main gripes with all the codemasters games is that you have the same race engineer and the same mechanics no matter what team you join. How hard is it to pit a few different faces and voices in there? Or even scan the real life team mechanics and record the actual race engineers?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:56 am 

What's the tyre wear like? I never played but from what I hear it was excessive in 2013. Mainly due to the tyres being very fragile at the beginning of the season, which is of course the time period the game was based on.

With tyre wear being a lot less extreme this year does the game reflect that, or is it still as bad?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:13 pm 

It seems that tyre wear is not an issue in f1 2014.

I've been playing since release day and... oh my god! Did Codemasters run out of imagination?!

I could say a lot of things but... above all, why can't you choose your own driver number? Was it too much to ask for 97 more number skins for 11 teams? That's really lazy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:49 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
What's the tyre wear like? I never played but from what I hear it was excessive in 2013.

It was terrible in 2013 - not just because the tyres fell off, which of course they did, but because the AI seemed completely unburdened by that fact. Which meant more often than not, the final laps of the race consisted of desperately trying to hang onto your tyres while the train behind you snapped at your heels. I haven't done 2014 though, so I can't compare the two.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:06 pm 

Here is my reddit thread I created on this.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:44 am 

Yesterday I was racing Kimi, and it was very strange as he appeared in my mirrors with his helmet but not with his number 7, instead he had a 14 on his car!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:32 am 

Also... there's no tarmac in the run-off area of the Parabolica... OMG!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:10 am 

I've been wondering about this. I loved F1 2010 despite its flaws, I loved F1 2011 even more so I was really excited for F1 2012... But that was a massive letdown for me, especially with the handling of the cars. I gave F1 2013 a try but did not buy it this time, I liked the classic cars but didn't enjoy the modern ones so much and so the career didn't interest me, wasn't worth buying for that. I'm guessing F1 2014 won't be for me, they have been trimming back on the whole "live the life" theme that they brought in 2010, every game moved a little further away from it when really I was hoping they would expand on it.

That said I come from playing mostly driving simulations and so I'm very picky about the handling of the cars, I'm not a complete snob but if it feels off then I won't enjoy it. F1 2011 had a nice balance to it, loved the way you could get oversteer but control it, the cars felt more on the edge in that game and more reactive. Maybe I'l watch some videos/reviews on F1 2014.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:38 pm 

ScuderiaFerrari wrote:
Here is my reddit thread I created on this.

Your link doesn't work.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:01 am 

After looking around a bit the reviews are not exactly flattering, same old same old with less content seems to be the general consensus. I think I'l pass this time around, Codemasters are getting lazy with this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:59 pm 

Bigbazz wrote:
After looking around a bit the reviews are not exactly flattering, same old same old with less content seems to be the general consensus. I think I'l pass this time around, Codemasters are getting lazy with this.

It's all well and good saying that Codemasters are getting lazy, but once you've got a decent game engine sorted out, put the cars in and the tracks, what else is there to add extra? I don't mind arcadey game modes that much, but if they're trying to be serious with it they wouldn't be likely to include any and the extra content and game modes they had in the 2013 edition were just dire!

Other than time trials and the main career modes, I've not enjoyed the multi-player since 2010 and not enjoyed the extras since 2009.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:08 pm 

Well we're nearly three weeks in and I still haven't bought the game - I'm doing myself proud!

I just read that you can't even choose your own number in career mode and the helmet selection is just as dire as 2010, making my decision that much more justified.

It upsets me to say it but I really hope CM fail miserably with F1 2015 on the next-gen consoles so they'll give up the licence altogether.

#KeepFightingMichael
#JB17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:05 am 

minchy wrote:
Bigbazz wrote:

It's all well and good saying that Codemasters are getting lazy, but once you've got a decent game engine sorted out, put the cars in and the tracks, what else is there to add extra? I don't mind arcadey game modes that much, but if they're trying to be serious with it they wouldn't be likely to include any and the extra content and game modes they had in the 2013 edition were just dire!

Other than time trials and the main career modes, I've not enjoyed the multi-player since 2010 and not enjoyed the extras since 2009.

I thought the bonus content in F1 2013 (classic) was the the best part of the whole game, driving around in the classic cars was awesome. I think codies are getting lazy because all they are doing is slapping a new outfit onto an old game, meanwhile they have removed the "F1 life" theme from the game, and some of the simulation apsects over a full weekend.

Really speaking if they take away the pure simulation aspects from the race weekends with the practice sessions, tyres etc then it has less going for it, in terms of driving the Codemasters F1 titles are always everyday man poor approximations compared to a real driving simulation title and they only have exclusive (or somewhat exclusive) licensing on the cars themselves.

I also take issue with Codemasters for dropping support for their games so quickly after release, Codemasters had already abandoned 3 games before Sony/PD had announced plans to stop supporting GT5, which was quite a bit after the release of GT6. I take issue with that because the games get dumped before the bugs and issues are fixed, with each new title bringing more.

With that said F1 2011 is still my favourite

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:24 pm 

I didn't really like the classic content. It was a good idea but not enough. I did like the classic tracks and cars to add variety to the game, but I would have prefered them to include full seasons with all tracks and cars from that year. If that meant a full new game then fair enough, I would've been happier paying for that than having a small selection in the main game and dlc.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:34 pm 

minchy wrote:
I didn't really like the classic content. It was a good idea but not enough. I did like the classic tracks and cars to add variety to the game, but I would have prefered them to include full seasons with all tracks and cars from that year. If that meant a full new game then fair enough, I would've been happier paying for that than having a small selection in the main game and dlc.

:thumbup: I think there's a real market for codemasters to produce F1 games set in iconic past seasons. 1976 would surely do well with the release of Rush not long ago for instance.

I suppose the liveries would be a problem though, with no alcohol/tobacco advertising allowed.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:36 pm 

I've mentioned it before but Microprose's Grand Prix 2 will forever be my favourite F1 game. No gimmicks, no bugs, brilliant AI, fully-customisable settings (race distance, number of sessions, difficulty percentage, driving aids, etc.), genuine reliability issues... it had it all. I literally played it for days non-stop. Why? A simple reason: it ticked all boxes. Whether you were a beginner or a hardcore racer, you could tailor it down to the finest detail. Complete freedom whilst maintaining the core element: racing an F1 car. Imagine that game now with today's graphical capabilities.

Oh, and that game was released nearly 20 years ago. Take that Codemasters.

#KeepFightingMichael
#JB17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:23 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
minchy wrote:

:thumbup: I think there's a real market for codemasters to produce F1 games set in iconic past seasons. 1976 would surely do well with the release of Rush not long ago for instance.

I suppose the liveries would be a problem though, with no alcohol/tobacco advertising allowed.

As long as they could keep the basic colour scheme on the cars then I'd be happy enough. They could throw in modern f1 sponsors to keep them and FOM happy they were using the license to help increase brand visibility for all I care. It's like looking at the FW16, the first f1 car that I have real life memories of, although Rothmans were the main sponsor, it was the blue and yellow Renault colour scheme that sticks with me - the sponsors really are secondary.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:51 pm 

minchy wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
minchy wrote:

As long as they could keep the basic colour scheme on the cars then I'd be happy enough. They could throw in modern f1 sponsors to keep them and FOM happy they were using the license to help increase brand visibility for all I care. It's like looking at the FW16, the first f1 car that I have real life memories of, although Rothmans were the main sponsor, it was the blue and yellow Renault colour scheme that sticks with me - the sponsors really are secondary.

You just reminded me of something - if CM couldn't incorporate the Martini colours on the 2014 Williams, then how were they allowed to have the colours of the old tobacco companies on the classic cars?

#KeepFightingMichael
#JB17

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:20 pm 

This game puzzles me, I can't tell apart who's following me since, in my mirrors, both Ferraris have the number 14, both Mercedes 44... etc.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:36 am 

For anyone in the UK like myself who wants the game but didn't want to fork out £40+, it's on a Black Friday deal on the Game website this evening between 6pm and 7pm.

We'll only know how much it will cost at 6pm but for reference 'The Evil Within' and 'COD Advanced Warfare' were both knocked down to £24.99.

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:12 pm 

Update: £29.99 in-store at Game.

Shame they haven't lowered it as much as they have for the other games in the event.

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:39 am 

So instead of paying for this game with my own money, I asked my brother to get it for me for Christmas 8)

First impressions? Well, it's the 2014 season so I'll be playing it regardless. Handling-wise, it's adjusted to the new regs for this season in that the cars are more snappy with the extra torque, but I never know when is the right time to change gear (the rev lights start flashing halfway before even I think I should change up) and the brakes now have more punch. I feel I have to turn in a lot sooner than previous games - may be down to the less downforce on the cars?

The helmets are the same designs as in the previous two games, graffiti-inspired vomit stains with no sponsor logos (again) and the same race engineer, PA and emails.

I cannot believe the steering wheels are nowhere near the teams' wheels this season. You get one generic wheel for most teams, and they've even recycled some of last year's wheels (the Williams car had a Red Bull-type wheel this season, but they've put last year's wheel in the car!)

All in all it's exactly what I've expected. No improvements whatsoever to F1 2013 or F2012 or F1 2011. The series has gotten worse year on year, but because it's the most recent season I have no choice but to play it (call me hypocritical but I hate playing older games). Oh, but at least you can choose your team in career mode! At last!

4/10 - and that's being generous.

#KeepFightingMichael
#JB17

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:23 pm 

I too got this on 360 for Christmas - I'm hoping that because I didn't bother with 2013 and that because I haven't played 2012 in a while I might get a bit more enjoyment out of it. The girlfriend is away this weekend so I should hopefully get some solid hours in.

MistaVega23 - which console are you using and are you using a wheel?

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:05 pm 

coulthards chin wrote:
I too got this on 360 for Christmas - I'm hoping that because I didn't bother with 2013 and that because I haven't played 2012 in a while I might get a bit more enjoyment out of it. The girlfriend is away this weekend so I should hopefully get some solid hours in.

MistaVega23 - which console are you using and are you using a wheel?

I've got the PS3 version with a Driving Force GT, although I've only used the wheel once as it's such a nightmare to set up and put away!

#KeepFightingMichael
#JB17

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:41 am 

Ok so I've put the hours in this weekend and come to a few conclusions. Did a couple of time-trials in different cars and a couple of short race weekends to get my eye in before going into career mode with Marussia.

I don't think this is a bad game by any stretch and I'm sure that I'll get enough enjoyment out of it to justify having it. There have been some improvements since the last game I owned (2012) but so much is still the same.

- Tyre wear is much improved (based on how it was in 2012). Tyres don't suddenly fall off the cliff a lap before your stop, you lose grip but not to the extent that you can barely keep the car on the road. I also like the fact that you can cook your tyres through part of the lap without ruining them for your entire stint.

- AI difficulty levels are a bit better spread (although I haven't made it to legend yet). Did my first two career races on professional but then I started comfortably getting my Marussia into Q2 and scored points so I upped it to expert. Now I can still drag a lap out in qualy and get myself out of Q1 on occasion but I spend the race battling with the Saubers and Lotus.

However, there are still some niggling problems that exist from the old games.

- The AI drive like grandads on lap 1 (although it's not quite as bad as it was in 2012) but after that they lap pretty much as fast as they do in qualifying for the entire race. Meaning I gain places on Lap 1 but then spend my entire race defending!

- However defending is too easy as the AI don't take risks! And so far in 5 1/2 distance races there have only been 3 retirements which is a bit ridiculous.

- Apart from a bit more wheelspin coming out of slow corners, the cars behave pretty much the same as they did before.

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:47 pm 

Good review, im still waiting for it to come to ps4. But havent seen any recent updates on that.

PF1 pick 3
2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:37 pm 

F1 2015 game expected in june

http://m.ign.com/articles/2015/03/26/f1 ... -june-2015

PF1 pick 3
2015: constructors 2nd, singles 5th