planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:50 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:21 pm 

I just read the article describing the "outrage" of Kimi not checking on the mechanic after stopping his car in the pitlane. I don't quite understand this. Putting myself in Kimi's shoes I am thinking about a podium, come in for a stop and boom there goes my race. Am I supposed to check on the man screaming? I dare to say Kimi probably knew he was hurt, what could Kimi do? Ask "are you okay?" or "sorry" no the guy knows his mechanic is hurt, he knows his race is over. I don't think he did anything wrong by running right into the garage. The last tweet was what I really take issue with where they say that if Hamilton or Seb did the same they would be flamed. I disagree personally. I would hold the same position regardless of who was the one to hit the mechanic. There are things beyond the drivers control.

Last thing I really take issue with is insinuating that he didn't care about his mechanic. Of course he cares but what can he do. I really hate when people say they don't care. The same way people care about the junior hockey team in canada, what can we do?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:31 pm 

Everyone could see what happened in the open - where the injured mechanic was being looked / helped by other crew members & medical staff & where Raikkonen walked into the pit garage without going to the spot & trying to assess the situation. Would that've helped? No, as the medical staff was already attending to the injured mechanic & wouldn't want to be hindered by anyone & everyone wanting to see the injury.

What everyone might've missed (might've because this probably happened) that Raikkonen was surely worried for the injured mechanic & might've visited the hospital or atleast been in touch were a senior figure looking after the proceedings leading to the surgery & after.

I wonder if people were expecting Raikkonen to lift the injured mechanic in his arms & carry him to the medical car / ambulance?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:02 pm 

IMO Raikkonen acted very appropriately. From his body language, he appeared irate when he climbed out of the car. But as he turned and walked back towards his pit stall, he was looking towards the accident scene. And he did not just walk away quickly, he stood there and absorbed what had happened and what was going on.

It was obvious to all that the injured crew member was receiving medical attention, and the best thing for any bystander to do is keep your distance, stay quiet, and give lots of room.
The very worst thing one could do is rush in close, and make any noises.

IMO Raikkonen quickly realized that he could not offer anything positive to the accident scene, and did what any rational person would do, he went into the garage.

Those who offer criticism know nothing on how to act in an accident scene.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:05 pm 
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
IMO Raikkonen acted very appropriately. From his body language, he appeared irate when he climbed out of the car. But as he turned and walked back towards his pit stall, he was looking towards the accident scene. And he did not just walk away quickly, he stood there and absorbed what had happened and what was going on.

It was obvious to all that the injured crew member was receiving medical attention, and the best thing for any bystander to do is keep your distance, stay quiet, and give lots of room.

IMO Raikkonen quickly realized that he could not offer anything positive to the accident scene, and did what any rational person would do, he went into the garage.

Spot on and even more so in the very dangerous environment that is an F1 pit lane. We had in this very race Hamilton complaining about "nearly killing" people who were unnecessarily standing around his pit box entry.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:08 pm 

Anybody complaining Kimi didn't do enough to help the mechanic has got too much free time.

Having him in the middle of that scene is unlikely to have been much help. There's too much faux drama in F1 these days.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:08 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

Exactly right. The criticism of kimi in this situation is quite pointless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:34 pm 

I don't like the way certain people are speaking as if Kimi ran the poor chap down deliberately, it didn't happen as he drove into the pit it was when he was given the green light to go and in those circumstances there was no way he could have seen or known what had happened behind him. As has been said, it was far more important for medical staff to be dealing with the situation and to get the engineer to hospital - what could Kimi have done? - at that time I am sure the engineer would have been in such shock and pain he wouldn't have noticed who said what.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:37 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

:thumbup:

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:50 pm 

I do not blame Kimi at all, and of course the team member was surrounded by the medical staff. I also suffered a near identical injury a few years ago, and trust me it really, really hurt, I could feel bone moving around in my leg just from moving my arms.
I know Kimi will have private meeting with the team member and do the right thing. Team chemistry is a huge part of Motorsports, and seeing Kimi check on him would greatly add to team chemistry. Kinda like when Michael used to point to the team on the podium and make a heart shape with his fingers, they loved him for that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:02 pm 

I agree, the outrage directed to Kimi was way out of proportion.

I guess it's just the way things in the Internet age where keyboard warriors first instinct is to pile on with outrage and bile.

As Alonso would way, "It's a yoke!".

Last edited by DuckMcF on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:53 am 

One question.

Why are NOBODY of the Ferrari crew communicating with Raikkonen when he comes back to the pits? Would it not be normal for someone to inform him what was going on etc?

It just seems that everyone completely ignores him in all the footage seen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:48 am 

Lesky wrote:
One question.

Why are NOBODY of the Ferrari crew communicating with Raikkonen when he comes back to the pits? Would it not be normal for someone to inform him what was going on etc?

That's because the entire focus of everyone would only be on the mechanic. At the time, no one knew the extent of injuries & it was important to comfort him as much as possible as such injuries can also send people in shock.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:32 pm 

my guess is that in the confusion the team didn't tell kr why he had to stop. he may have assumed it was another loose wheel and was tiddled. after getting out of the car and walking towards the pit box may have been the first he knew of the injured guy ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:44 pm 

It's easy to pass criticism when you've had 20 camera angles, and time to analyse a person actions.

In real time, who knows what was communicated or what Kimi was thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:47 pm 

Shown in the post race interview, I think filmed while the podium was on, the interviewer asked Kimi how the mechanic was and he replied 'I don't know'. He was changed into his civvies and in the back of the pit area.
I thought it strange that he had neither found out or been told.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:51 am 

moby wrote:
Shown in the post race interview, I think filmed while the podium was on, the interviewer asked Kimi how the mechanic was and he replied 'I don't know'. He was changed into his civvies and in the back of the pit area.

Was he still been assessed in the medical centre? Did the team know but hadn't informed Kimi as there wasn't time before the interviews?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:46 am 

Kimi acted in a proper manner - those criticizing need to look in the mirror as they are in the wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:30 am 

Completely agreed that the criticism is unfounded, and likely mostly coming from people who either have no idea how to act in such a situation themselves or mistakenly think that the driver decides when to leave the pit box.

moby wrote:

I don't find that strange. It would have been no more than an hour after the accident (possibly less, depending on when the interview actually was filmed; I think a lot of the time the interviews shown at that time were actually filmed much earlier), and it seems entirely likely to me that they hadn't completed the medical assessment yet. He could have speculated, but I expect that nobody yet knew the specifics of the mechanic's injury, and if so speculation would have done more harm than good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:27 am 

Kimi doesn't feel the need to give some polished image of himself to the press so if you're expecting him to say some PR crap like "God bless him" or something then clearly you don't know him.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:13 am 

Kimi can do no wrong.
Change the driver's name and you have complete different answers in this same thread.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:45 am 

Why should we need to give Kimi the benefit or the doubt when he did nothing wrong?

We don't know what he has done or said to the mechanic off the TV and he's not exactly know for his emotional personality, so what did people expect him to say or look like in interviews?

This is just people who look at 10 seconds of TV footage without looking at the wider picture who want to be offended by something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:17 pm 

You clould clearly see how Kimi slowed and looked towards the scene of the accident with concern as he walked towards the garage. In my view people have seen too many movies with unlikely heroes rushing in to help. Benefit of the doubt? No need to even doubt, the man did the right thing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:47 pm 

Pullrod wrote:
Kimi can do no wrong.
Change the driver's name and you have complete different answers in this same thread.

not from me. i don't know what was or wasn't communicated to kr, or any of his actions/conversations, other than the few seconds of him walking back towards his garage

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:40 pm 

Pullrod wrote:
Kimi can do no wrong.

Just what do you think Kimi did wrong? These attacks on Kimi in this instance are asinine.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:17 pm 

I think most people are complaining about Kimi not knowing anything about the mechanic when he did the interviews.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:21 pm 

Lesky wrote:
One question.

with my keen dislike of ferrari, i have noticed over the years at the general difference in reaction from mechanics/pitwall to when kimi does something good compared to vettel during quali/races. it tells you everything. so them ignoring him doesnt suprise me at all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:56 pm 

Caserole of Nonsense wrote:
Lesky wrote:
One question.

with my keen dislike of ferrari, i have noticed over the years at the general difference in reaction from mechanics/pitwall to when kimi does something good compared to vettel during quali/races. it tells you everything. so them ignoring him doesnt suprise me at all.

In that case, maybe ignoring is mutual?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:24 pm 

Lesky wrote:
One question.

They have an injured mechanic blocking their pit box and a car blocking the pit box of another team. The Ferrari personnel are running to both of them. I would bet that Kimi's feelings are not the highest priority at that specific moment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:08 pm 

Robot wrote:
I think most people are complaining about Kimi not knowing anything about the mechanic when he did the interviews.

and he probably didn't because maybe the guy had been taken to hospital for surgery and surprise surprise he actually doesn't know how it went or may even be underway

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:23 pm 

Kimi was obviously tiddled what happened. I do not think Kimi knew though what actually happened. But he could see the mechanic was getting help so I am not sure what else he could have done.
Quote:
What happened to our guy Francesco today at the pit-stop is very unfortunate. I feel sorry for him and hope he's going to be OK soon. It's always a bad thing when someone gets injured but I am sure he has the best people taking good care of him and I wish him a speedy recovery. As for the accident itself, all I know is that I moved when I saw the green light go on. I couldn't have possibly realized that there was an issue with the rear left wheel, then I saw someone had got hurt and, immediately, I was told to stop by the team. Unfortunately something must have gone wrong and we'll need to find out what. The car had good speed today but I had some wheelspin at the start. Anyway, there's not much I can do now but wait for the next race, where we'll try to do our best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:54 am 

Yeah, people seem to be quoting only part of that statement quite a bit.

milomak wrote:
Robot wrote:

and he probably didn't because maybe the guy had been taken to hospital for surgery and surprise surprise he actually doesn't know how it went or may even be underway

When I broke my leg in a similar (although surprisingly much worse) fashion some years back, it was close to seven hours before I was all done and out of surgery, five before I even had an x-ray. I wouldn't expect the medical centre or hospital at or near the track to be quite that slow, but an hour or so? Not at all out of the ordinary, I would think, especially if they ended up having to take him somewhere in the city. Certainly I wouldn't expect the surgery to already be over by then. That would be lightning fast.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:54 am 

I was watching live on Sky UK and the latest news from the hospital was delivered by Croft and Brundle and then almost immediately after it seemed to me, came the already edited kimi interview. In other words I doubt whether anyone knew anything official when that interview was actually recorded.

The other thing I would throw out there is that, no matter whether you are the star of the show, a bit part, set builder or a rat hiding in the chorus lines' dorm, management will always be too slow in telling you WTF is going on, no? You need a management team who know how to work PR like, say RBR, or at a stretch McL. Ferrari's PR team consist of a rabbit hiding in a hole hoping Marchione hasn't noticed he didn't fire him yet, no?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:29 pm 

This sniffpetrol.com article nicely sums up what people think of kimi's behaviour:

https://sniffpetrol.com/2018/04/09/oh-g ... raikkonen/
"Oh great, so now I have to go to the hospital, by Kimi Raikkonen"

Personally I found he could've been more sensible and atleast put his steering wheel back on while his car was stranded in the pit lane than childishly throwing it into the car and storming into his garage without even acknowledging the guy he ran over.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:29 pm 

If you were a pit stop mechanic run over by an F1 driver I am pretty sure you'd rather see doctors around you than the driver again.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:55 pm 

emb1496 wrote:
I just read the article describing the "outrage" of Kimi not checking on the mechanic after stopping his car in the pitlane. I don't quite understand this. Putting myself in Kimi's shoes I am thinking about a podium, come in for a stop and boom there goes my race. Am I supposed to check on the man screaming? I dare to say Kimi probably knew he was hurt, what could Kimi do? Ask "are you okay?" or "sorry" no the guy knows his mechanic is hurt, he knows his race is over. I don't think he did anything wrong by running right into the garage. The last tweet was what I really take issue with where they say that if Hamilton or Seb did the same they would be flamed. I disagree personally. I would hold the same position regardless of who was the one to hit the mechanic. There are things beyond the drivers control.

Last thing I really take issue with is insinuating that he didn't care about his mechanic. Of course he cares but what can he do. I really hate when people say they don't care. The same way people care about the junior hockey team in canada, what can we do?

We are living in a time when outrage is occurring every five minutes. Usually coming from people who are not innocent by far. Half the time you are so shielded from everything you've got little to no clue what is going on. Drivers can't just stand around on the pit lane. His race was just over and can't help but be so blinded by his own anger. They are human. Get over it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:55 pm 

f1madman wrote:
This sniffpetrol.com article nicely sums up what people think of kimi's behaviour:

https://sniffpetrol.com/2018/04/09/oh-g ... raikkonen/
"Oh great, so now I have to go to the hospital, by Kimi Raikkonen"

Personally I found he could've been more sensible and atleast put his steering wheel back on while his car was stranded in the pit lane than childishly throwing it into the car and storming into his garage without even acknowledging the guy he ran over.

So his pause to look at what was happening before he went into the garage is him "storming in"?
The mechanic was injured, Kimi got out the car, looked to see what was going on, realised that there was nothing useful he could add to the situation and headed into the pit.
If you went past a situation where someone was injured or otherwise in need of medical help and you knew them would you and and get in the way of those who knew how to help or leave them to it as all you could do was get in the way?

Yes he was tiddled he had to retire, why shouldn't he be? What difference does it make with the steering wheel in that situation? The mechanics know how to refit it probably better than he does...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:59 am 

Well it's actually a rule that the driver should put his steering wheel back on when he abandons the car.

Just picture yourself at work as a fork lift driver, you've ran over your colleague but your other workshop colleagues are tending to him before you get out and abort your next mission. One of your colleagues even may be first aider.

What do you do next:
1. Check the injured guy is OK, maybe.... Even apologise if he's conscious, even if the fault wasn't yours...
2. Screw it, it's time for a tea break.

If you picked no. 2 you might be perceived as a douche in the real world, this is how people would have perceived Kimi attitude /actions. Hope that clears things up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:06 am 

f1madman wrote:
Well it's actually a rule that the driver should put his steering wheel back on when he abandons the car.

Just picture yourself at work as a fork lift driver, you've ran over your colleague but your other workshop colleagues are tending to him before you get out and abort your next mission. One of your colleagues even may be first aider.

What do you do next:
1. Check the injured guy is OK, maybe.... Even apologise if he's conscious, even if the fault wasn't yours...
2. Screw it, it's time for a tea break.

If you picked no. 2 you might be perceived as a douche in the real world, this is how people would have perceived Kimi attitude /actions. Hope that clears things up.

And of course the wording you chose isn't loaded at all...

There was a swarm of people already around the mechanic by the time Kimi got back to the pits. You could see him looking over at them. What was he supposed to do, throw his hands up dramatically in the air and fall to his knees? Elbow his was through the crowd of professionals already there just so he could make a public show of caring?

I've no idea what went through Kimi's head. I don't know if he was being a douche or simply being pragmatic and realising there was nothing he could do. But if people make judgements on his attitude from the simple fact that he didn't make a spectacle of himself then all that does is show how many idiots there are in the world today. Trial by twitter always brings out the worst in people.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:29 am 

bet kimi is absolutely devastated by all the critisism.

zoue the worst thing about social media and media in general is you give a voice to idiots who would otherwise be ignored. unfortunately the world is full of them. and run by them.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:01 am 

bet kimi is absolutely devastated by all the critisism.

zoue the worst thing about social media and media in general is you give a voice to idiots who would otherwise be ignored. unfortunately the world is full of them. and run by them.

Freedom of speech is somewhat fundamental though, don't you think?

I loved the Kimi comment by the way!