It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 11:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:03 am 

Source - https://d2snyq93qb0udd.cloudfront.net/p ... ver-EN.jpg

Source - https://cdn-9.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... driver.jpg

Press Conference:
Marcus Ericsson (Sauber), Pierre Gasly (Toro Rosso), Max Verstappen (Red Bull)

The forecast
After the relatively balmy temperatures of Melbourne and Bahrain, the teams can expect somewhat cooler conditions in Shanghai this weekend.

Friday's high will be around 20 Celsius, but this could well be accompanied by rain, which could throw a serious spanner into the team's practice programmes.

Dry but cloudy is the outlook for Saturday, at around 17C, while Sunday should finally bring clear skies and sunshine in time for the race, with temperatures rising again slightly to around 18C.

Last edited by UnlikeUday on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:15 am 

I really like that they skipped a tire compound here. Should be interesting! :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:39 am 

Llotyhy wrote:

Is that what they've done or is it just a gaffe on the picture and you're having a laugh?

You've got me intrigued now dammit that they might have done something half interesting for a change. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:14 am 

Pretty sure the super soft is between the soft and the ultra's so yes, it looks like they have skipped a compound.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:21 am 
Mercedes won this race last year, Ferrari have had a great start this year but they also won Bahrain and Aus on merit last year so it’s debatable if the 2018 car is stronger or not.

Mercedes should start doing Q2 on the harder tyre, its going to be THE strategy this year I feel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:39 am 

lamo wrote:
Mercedes won this race last year, Ferrari have had a great start this year but they also won Bahrain and Aus on merit last year so it’s debatable if the 2018 car is stronger or not.

Mercedes should start doing Q2 on the harder tyre, its going to be THE strategy this year I feel.

IIRC Ferrari could have won this race on strategy last year, had the safety car not come out on the pit straight giving all the drivers in front of Vettel a free pit-stop.

Also the pace between Vettel and Hamilton was pretty much identical after Vettel got back into second, but Hamilton could have been holding back I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:48 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Is that what they've done or is it just a gaffe on the picture and you're having a laugh?

You've got me intrigued now dammit that they might have done something half interesting for a change. :lol:

Well to be fair, they have done this a few times in the past already.

Also: how discrete does that Halo look on the Pirelli F1 car :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:17 pm 

As per 1 weather forecast for the race weekend, there are chances of light rain on Friday, heavier rain on Saturday & Sunday will be overcast / cloudy.

Cooler conditions will surely suit Mercedes & more so for Hamilton who has relished the Shanghai circuit in the past.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:15 pm 

Interesting to see that Mercedes have gone conservative, will that help or hinder them?

Also will the top 3 teams feel comfortable in attempting to get through Q2 on softs with the double step in compound? Could be a race winning move if they can get away with it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:31 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Interesting to see that Mercedes have gone conservative, will that help or hinder them?

Also will the top 3 teams feel comfortable in attempting to get through Q2 on softs with the double step in compound? Could be a race winning move if they can get away with it.

The tyre choices were made even before winter testing, going harder seems to be the way forward for Mercedes which we might see even more of when the choices are made for the next batch of races?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 9th

Win: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podium: 2nd Barcelona 2018 and Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:38 pm 

Ferrari will take pole position because Mercedes can’t work the ultrasoft over one lap.

But Mercedes will win the race because they will start on softs, the tyres they use in Q2. Ferrari will also struggle with fuel consumption.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:53 pm 

KingVoid wrote:
Ferrari will take pole position because Mercedes can’t work the ultrasoft over one lap.

But Mercedes will win the race because they will start on softs, the tyres they use in Q2. Ferrari will also struggle with fuel consumption.

didnt hamilton get pole in australia with the ultrasoft tyres. and started the race with ultrasoft.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:05 pm 

I don't think the ultrasoft will last more than 10 laps here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:15 am 

mds wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

Can you point to a pic mds? I have missed that

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:42 am 

Siao7 wrote:
mds wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

opening pic in this thread! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:47 am 

Zoue wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
mds wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
Llotyhy wrote:

opening pic in this thread! :lol:

Oh, do'h! Thanks Zoue

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:49 am 

It's so discrete you didn't notice the whole picture ;)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:14 pm 

The engine components used as per each driver:

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:50 pm 
KingVoid wrote:

This is a strategy I have been screaming for teams to do over the last few years, I don't know why Ferrari didn't do this more often last year knowing they didn't have the 1 lap pace of the Mercedes...

Actually I realised the answer half way through writing that. That strategy only really works in races that aren't one stop. Because if you start on the soft and its a one stop race, you will have a tyre advantage in the 2nd stint but usually thats not enough to be able to overtake on most tracks.

Hopefully more races are 2 stoppers, Bahrain was definitely a 2 stopper with the 1 stop much slower.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:53 am 

Only Fp1 but it looks like Merc is just going to breeze through this weekend, well in qualy anyway. I am still very wary of those redbulls on race day. Ferrari is predictably off the pace here. A must win for Hamilton.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:04 am 

Looks like Max had another 150bhp boost. :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:21 am 

Good to see Force India finding some performance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:22 am 

Looks crazy tight at the top.... Kimi once again appears to be matching Vettel.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:38 am 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135369/renault-allows-teams-to-use-more-performance

Renault plans to make another step when the second round of power units come on stream, with a major MGU-K upgrade among the items in the pipeline.

"As far as hardware is concerned if we are sticking to our plan, it's for power unit number two, which is not coming for a while," he said. For the time being it's more energy related.

"We'll have some more stuff coming from the ICE, and also with the fuel a bit later, depending on the teams, as we're not using the same fuel [supplier]."

Hopefully this will give the Renault-powered teams more opportunities to fight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:02 am 

Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5B623176

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:28 am 

Stroll is looking abysmal again. Not even close to Sirotkin in both FP1 and FP2 and by far the slowest car.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:49 am 

Close at the top!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:46 pm 
It seems close at the front and if it is more than 1 stop then any of the 3 teams can win. We are still yet to see this Red Bull race pace.

Lewis made mistakes on his lap but Vettel said his "we have changes to make to find the time" and whenever he says that they tend to miraculously find time on the Saturday. So Hamilton or Vettel taking an easy pole wouldn't surprise me but it looks close thus far.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:48 pm 

lamo wrote:
It seems close at the front and if it is more than 1 stop then any of the 3 teams can win. We are still yet to see this Red Bull race pace.

Lewis made mistakes on his lap but Vettel said his "we have changes to make to find the time" and whenever he says that they tend to miraculously find time on the Saturday. So Hamilton or Vettel taking an easy pole wouldn't surprise me but it looks close thus far.

It seems that Kimi had quite a poor S3 and had to avoid one of the Saubers, which should easily have made up the 0.007s he fell short. Although having said that, Mercedes are normally able to find that little bit extra in qualifying, too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:04 pm 

Individual lap times of drivers from the top 3 teams:

Source - http://www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:01 pm 
Zoue wrote:
lamo wrote:

It seems that Kimi had quite a poor S3 and had to avoid one of the Saubers, which should easily have made up the 0.007s he fell short. Although having said that, Mercedes are normally able to find that little bit extra in qualifying, too.

Ok, I did not see that. Kimi is having a decent year thus far. He could actually be in the WDC lead if things just banned out slightly differently. But on the saturdays, even when Kimi is strong, Vettel tends to have that last 0.1 to pull out his pocket at the last moment. This season, I wouldn't outright discount Kimi over 1 lap but that just seems to be the case.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:16 pm 

Kimi's season so far isn't going badly in that he isn't being humiliated after two races. In Melbourne he seemed to have the edge over Vettel, something which reversed in Bahrain. It's very early to be seeing this year as a big turnaround for Raikkonen. I'd love to see him have a great year and best Vettel, but one shouldn't get ahead of one's self.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:35 pm 

lamo wrote:
Zoue wrote:
lamo wrote:

Ok, I did not see that. Kimi is having a decent year thus far. He could actually be in the WDC lead if things just banned out slightly differently. But on the saturdays, even when Kimi is strong, Vettel tends to have that last 0.1 to pull out his pocket at the last moment. This season, I wouldn't outright discount Kimi over 1 lap but that just seems to be the case.
I stopped simply believing in "things panning out differently" long before Monaco last year. Melbourne this year was a very timely reminder not to start believing any time soon. I understand commentators having to put that slant on it, to make the business appear like a sport, though.

But, if Kimi is happy at Ferrari, then I'm happy for him!

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:27 pm 

As per Formula1.com, the race pace deficit:

Source - www.imgur.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:41 pm 

Ferrari sandbagging or in need of some big set up tweaks, no chance they are that close to the upper midfield.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:57 pm 

I think Mercedes should get 1-2 here. Bahrain they looked really bad on Friday but still got close in the qualifying. So if Ferrari is not ahead then they really need to be good tomorrow as Mercedes will definitely be fast. FI look better here so midfield should be really tight. 6 cars with in 0.5secs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:58 am 

Heavy rain lashed the circuit overnight. Track would be green & is a bit damp now. It's crazy windy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:37 am 

Ricciardo's car suffering from Turbo failure. Bad luck keeps following the honey badger.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:22 am 

Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5B6D0383

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:51 am 

Source - www.imgur.com