planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:39 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:22 am 

sultanofhyd wrote:
Just did a 1:29.5 at Australia on my first try. Keyboard. I'm sure I can go much faster.

How do I take a screengrab? Printscreen doesn't work.

That is impressive for a keyboard. Are you using the Mclaren?
In Australia my best with the wheel is in time trial with DRS open and it was a 1:25.x something.
My best race trim lap time is around 1:27.x
Using the Mclaren, of course.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:50 am 

I wrote a letter to Codemasters in October 2012 with a business outline on how to make the game a bigger success. The champions mode was stellar. One of my points was to have more scenarios like Champions mode but include different eras but have it as DLC. So someone can pay $5.99, and once a month they will get a new challenge. I forget how I worded it. There is a lot of opportunity with the franchise but it has been poorly managed up until now. We will see if the next iterations prove more profitable for them. It doesn't matter how good the game is, it needs to generate revenue and as a "racing" game it is too hard. Not everyone has a racing wheel and proper seat and will sit there to do 78 laps at Monaco.

Anyhoo... I still like it. I don't play too often but I will do 5-10 laps at a circuit the week where an actual grand prix is taking place. I just did 5 laps at Spa to get ready for this weekend. Barely broke into the 151's with Alonso!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:29 pm 

Bentrovato wrote:
I wrote a letter to Codemasters in October 2012 with a business outline on how to make the game a bigger success. The champions mode was stellar. One of my points was to have more scenarios like Champions mode but include different eras but have it as DLC. So someone can pay $5.99, and once a month they will get a new challenge. I forget how I worded it. There is a lot of opportunity with the franchise but it has been poorly managed up until now. We will see if the next iterations prove more profitable for them. It doesn't matter how good the game is, it needs to generate revenue and as a "racing" game it is too hard. Not everyone has a racing wheel and proper seat and will sit there to do 78 laps at Monaco.

Anyhoo... I still like it. I don't play too often but I will do 5-10 laps at a circuit the week where an actual grand prix is taking place. I just did 5 laps at Spa to get ready for this weekend. Barely broke into the 151's with Alonso!

I thought about doing this a while ago but a.) assumed they'd never read it and b.) won't implement any of my ideas as they're either too far-fetched or just not possible!

My main annoyance with CM is that their original USP was 'live the life of an F1 driver' - yet in F1 2012 you get the impression they forgot this completely.

Some ideas I've had in my head:

- Having the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons in one game (career mode would be much more fun - they did this in SBK Generations and it adds a completely new dimension)
- Free-roaming around the F1 paddock looking for drives (third person, almost GTA-style)
- Attending press conferences
- Having the opportunity to increase your fanbase and thus attract more sponsors (to drive for the low to midfield teams)
- A PODIUM CEREMONY!!!
- A helmet designer (sorry but the choice/design of helmets are shocking) and WITH sponsors
- More realistic targets - beating your team mate at every race would increase your value significantly, no 'qualify x and finish x' as that's just wrong. For example, if I drive a HRT in career mode at Spa, and after a first corner pile-up that erases 10 drivers I finish in the points (COMPLETELY a one-off), at Monza I'd be expected to qualify in the top 10! Come on!
- TV-style replays
- Better engineer feedback
- Proper LG timing (why have they NEVER done this?!)

A couple of the above might be my being pedantic, but I genuinely think that if they incorporated some aspects of actually 'be an F1 driver' into the game, they'd make an absolute killing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:08 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Bentrovato wrote:

I thought about doing this a while ago but a.) assumed they'd never read it and b.) won't implement any of my ideas as they're either too far-fetched or just not possible!

My main annoyance with CM is that their original USP was 'live the life of an F1 driver' - yet in F1 2012 you get the impression they forgot this completely.

Some ideas I've had in my head:

- Having the 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 seasons in one game (career mode would be much more fun - they did this in SBK Generations and it adds a completely new dimension)
- Free-roaming around the F1 paddock looking for drives (third person, almost GTA-style)
- Attending press conferences
- Having the opportunity to increase your fanbase and thus attract more sponsors (to drive for the low to midfield teams)
- A PODIUM CEREMONY!!!
- A helmet designer (sorry but the choice/design of helmets are shocking) and WITH sponsors
- More realistic targets - beating your team mate at every race would increase your value significantly, no 'qualify x and finish x' as that's just wrong. For example, if I drive a HRT in career mode at Spa, and after a first corner pile-up that erases 10 drivers I finish in the points (COMPLETELY a one-off), at Monza I'd be expected to qualify in the top 10! Come on!
- TV-style replays
- Better engineer feedback
- Proper LG timing (why have they NEVER done this?!)

A couple of the above might be my being pedantic, but I genuinely think that if they incorporated some aspects of actually 'be an F1 driver' into the game, they'd make an absolute killing.

I like these idea's.
All hypothetical of course as this would never work with the commercial aspects of F1. But how about an option to have your own team, in a career style mode, as a back marker and have to work your way up the grid, its been a while since I have owned a FIFA game but I remember different sponsors being available with more money for harder targets to achieve.

Something similar would be quite fun in F1 I think, also with drivers&technical staff available for purchase if you have what they want etc. and the drivers occasionally moving teams. This would all have to be a spin off game mode as obviously commercial issues would prevent drivers being able to leave teams at random, but if it could be done as a 'season challenge' type spin off from the main Career mode it would be excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:28 pm 

All set in qualy/career with tyre/fuel/damage sim on

Monaco: 1:16.711 (the absolute limit for me)
Singapore: 1:44.332 (as sick as it gets, also my best track)
Sao Paulo: 1:10.978 (quite proud of that)
Monza: 1:23.701

just me bringing my 6 tenths to Williams.

Last edited by HulkStrong on Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:48 pm 

The inconsistency of the game drives me up the wall, take career mode for example I have had some great races on there and some realistic situations like abandoning development on the Mercedes mid season which meant in the my third year I had a bullet of a car out of the blocks! With me and Nico racking up the 1-2's.

But then you have the ridiculous weather system where even with the patch I have had full wet races in both Barcelona and Valencia in the SAME season! I also experienced a wet qualifying session in Abu Dhabi. For all the game's strengths it gets let down by these nuisances.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:15 pm 

Senna88 wrote:
The inconsistency of the game drives me up the wall, take career mode for example I have had some great races on there and some realistic situations like abandoning development on the Mercedes mid season which meant in the my third year I had a bullet of a car out of the blocks! With me and Nico racking up the 1-2's.

But then you have the ridiculous weather system where even with the patch I have had full wet races in both Barcelona and Valencia in the SAME season! I also experienced a wet qualifying session in Abu Dhabi. For all the game's strengths it gets let down by these nuisances.

Yep, the weather system is crap, and that's being kind as well. I hope they have it sorted for F1 2013.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:33 am 

When it rains the competitions times remain pretty close to the dry times, like within 5 seconds, which is of course ridiculous. In qualy I'm no where near close while I'm absolutely not making any mistakes. This wasn't like that in the beginning, but now in my 2nd career it's very unrealistic. I might as well skip the race if I see it's gonna rain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:33 pm 

HulkStrong wrote:
When it rains the competitions times remain pretty close to the dry times, like within 5 seconds, which is of course ridiculous. In qualy I'm no where near close while I'm absolutely not making any mistakes. This wasn't like that in the beginning, but now in my 2nd career it's very unrealistic. I might as well skip the race if I see it's gonna rain.

I can confirm this as well, it was raining very hard at Spa, I was on full wets, then the AI overtook me on slicks and were putting in 1:51's even in the wet, safe to say I qualified 17th in my Red Bull.

I just don't know how the dynamic weather system can be so broken even after numerous patches.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:57 pm 

I've been doing some testing with different cars to see which one I can drive the fastest. I realise this is flawed in many ways but I was curious to try and find out how each car performed and it's good and bad points.

Australia - best time out of 10 laps. All cars using the same set-up.

Mclaren - 1:26.017
Ferrari - 1:26.235
Lotus - 1:26.467
Red Bull - 1:26.780
Williams - 1:27.058
Mercedes - 1:27.149
Sauber - 1:27.223
Force India - 1:27.441
Toro Rosso - 1:27.873
Caterham - 1:28.656
HRT - 1:30.003
Marussia - 1:30.251

Really liked the Williams and the Lotus. Pleasantly surprised by the HRT - handles pretty nicely just a shame about the poor engine.

Didn't like the Red Bull and the Mercedes so much, and the Marussia is horrible!

EDIT: I play on the XBOX using a Controller.

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:33 am 

Cool :thumbup: My Williams doesn't do too bad. Must've crawled time into that.

I already noticed in my previous career the promotion from Williams to Mercedes wasn't really a promotion, in the Red Bull I won most of the races which made it quite boring for me, Ferrari was my consistent top 5 team for 3 seasons but no WDC. I drive best in my current Williams car. What's everyone's settings like? I only have 1 flashback installed because sooner or later something will happen that you couldn't prevent: like a driver (usually Alonso) driving against your right/left wheel in the back and spinning which resullts in the stewards giving you a 10 second penalty. This aspect can still be improved on in F1 2013, together with more realistic wet weather times.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:00 pm 

I just did the exact same thing, only in Barcelona. It was done on a PS3 with controler.

Personal bests:

Ferrari - 1:21.239
McLaren - 1:21.266
Red Bull - 1:21.904
Williams - 1:22.482
Lotus - 1:22.698
Sauber - 1:23.049
Mercedes - 1:23.209
Toro Rosso - 1:23.786
Force India - 1:23.814
Caterham - 1:23.857
Marussia - 1:25.037
HRT - 1:25.977

Starting with the HRT, the car's a dog. Not fast, not flexible, not even remotely controllable. The Marussia was a real relief in comparison with the HRT. A very stable car immediately faster. Caterham surprisingly fast. Toro Rosso, Force India & Mercedes lack personality. The Sauber was an awesome car to drive: aggressive, all over the place but fast. Just a shame of the 'visit Mexico' banner... I knew I was gonna be fast in the Williams but was shocked that I kept staring at the 'Venezuela' wing for 10 laps in a Lotus. In the front -> McLaren & Ferrari could've easily swapped places, the times were so close it was scary.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:48 pm 

The Ferrari does feel the overall best car on the game. I find the Mclaren and Red Bull good but I find the setup needs to be spot on for it to be the best during the race. The Williams is also a very good car.

At the moment I am driving for red bull in my season, got Hamilton as my rival so I'm hoping for an offer from Ferrari at the end of the season to be their 1st driver as they are having a shocking season, think they are on 60 points at Singapore.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:55 pm 

Did a few more, this time Brazil... best of 10 laps again on Xbox controller. Medium downforce set-up with neutral handling, 52:48 brake bias, geared for maximum top speed.

Red Bull - 1:10.690
Mclaren - 1:10.693
Ferrari - 1:11.033
Williams - 1:11.340
Sauber - 1:11.725
Lotus - 1:11.739
Caterham - 1:12.992
HRT - 1:14.119

Red Bull and Mclaren are both dynamite around this track using my base set-up. Mclaren is a tenth faster in S1 and S3 but Red Bull is 2 tenths faster in S2

Ferrari loses all it's time in the middle sector
Williams is a good all-rounder

Couldn't get to grips with the Lotus around here - may be due to the set-up but it doesn't bode well for my Title fight in Career mode!

HRT is hideous - missing apexes left right and centre!

I'm actually finding this quite an enjoyable way of trying to bring my skills up to legendary and improve on some of my 'bogey tracks'! Didn't bother with a few of the cars because I have no interest in them/it's getting late!

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:10 pm 

Sao Paulo:

Ferrari - 1:11.294
Williams - 1:11.718
Caterham - 1:13.155
Marussia - 1:14.048

Conclusion: have an aching thumb but you slightly have the edge over me (for now) :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:37 am 

Haven't come here in a while I see you guys have done some good testing on cars. :smug:

I have done some previously too but not official and I concluded for me the McLaren is the best all round.

I will do some more testing and put the results up on here.

Hit me up also if you guys want to get some CLEAN races going.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:21 pm 

Got back into my career mode again last night, its my second season, I won the WDC with Toro Rosso last year so I turned up the difficulty to Legend & signed with Lotus.

Partly dues to p**sing about with my cousins on it when they came to visit & partly due to getting frustrated at losing my front wing all the time (Monaco) I stuffed it into a wall and DNF'd 4/6 races.

Kimi absolutely dominated in the meantime being on 112 points after Monaco while I was on 35 after winning Bahrain & getting 10 points at probably Malaysia (it was a while ago but I usually like that circuit)

Canada

Lap 1-15

Started from 19th on the grid (completely made a mess of qualifying and didnt want to restart the session) and due to the inside on the run down to the first turn being left wide open I got up to 5th by the end of the first lap, I cleared both Red Bulls as they tripped over each other next lap moving me up to third. I had really strong pace on the supersoft & quickly closed the 2-3 second gap to Kimi, meanwhile Hamilton was 5+ seconds clear out front.

Kimi was dispensed at turn one after following him closely with DRS.

the 7 second gap to Hamilton stayed pretty much constant for the next 8 or so laps til the first pitstops. I put on softs while Kimi & Hamilton (the only two around me as Webber appeared to be holding up the rest in 4th some 10+ seconds down the road) opted for supersofts.

Lap 16-34
At this point Hamilton opened up the gap to around 13 seconds by lap 26 & I thought it was game over. Then the rain came, not much of it & my target lap was lap 28 so I decided to try make the tyres last a while longer and pit for inters. Hamilton had big traffic issues & lost about 5 seconds to me.

Hamilton & Kimi had to come in and then 3 laps later when my tyres were completely shot I went for Inters a lap or two earlier than I would have liked. Hamilton & Kimi were catching up reducing a 15 second deficit to 8 seconds in two laps, the track came to the inters at this point & Hamilton/Kimi both had to pit giving me a 30 second lead out in front.

Lap 35-65
the rain stayed constant & on the inters I held the gap of around 25/30 seconds whilst conserving fuel for later in the race until on lap 50 the rain intensified & the field had to pit for Wets, this was a big issue for me. I really struggled for traction around turns 6/7 and 8/9 & my gap was coming down by a second or two per lap depending how well I could take the above mentioned corners. Hamilton was right on my tail by lap 65 when the dry line started to appear on track & there was a quick dash for dry tyres in the pits.

This played into my hands as Hamilton got held up in his box by Kimi coming in after me so I finished 4 seconds ahead & Kimi got past Hamilton in the dying laps to make it a Lotus 1-2

1. Me
2. Kimi
3. Hamilton

Cant remember the full WDC standing but I know I was 6th with 60 points & Kimi 1st with 130

Valencia to follow, hoping for a good result as I really like this circuit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:31 am 

Guys can anyone lap below 1:40s in Malaysia with a joystick? I find it to be VERY hard. The wheel just lock up at the second last corner and the fourth last corner both are the hardest corner of the track. I also notice to sometimes lose speed around this corner. It's difficult when you can't use throttle movement on the joystick by hitting 'X'

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:32 pm 

Robbo-92 wrote:
HulkStrong wrote:

I can confirm this as well, it was raining very hard at Spa, I was on full wets, then the AI overtook me on slicks and were putting in 1:51's even in the wet, safe to say I qualified 17th in my Red Bull.

I just don't know how the dynamic weather system can be so broken even after numerous patches.

The dynamic weather system almost break the game for me. Luckly I play on PC and found a mod that removed rain in career mode. Finally I can enjoy the game. I was also having trouble with the difficulty settings. Medium was too slow, pro too fast. Again I found a program that lets you edit the database of the game and modify the difficulty levels to your liking. Saved the game for me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:11 am 

Codemasters is the antichrist. I cant wait until someone else gets the licence to develop a F1 game.