planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:57 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:20 pm 

Quote:
Saying that I think to get the most out of these games you need to be pretty good at them. Really though its just a matter of putting the laps in to improve, your body will naturally refine and develop the skills.

Absolutely correct. However I feel only a few people can actually olay this game to its full potential. Anyone can put a lap in but it takes skill to put in competitive times, and to have that consistentcy through race pace. People can play other racing games but it requires more skill toplay these fast moving games.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:23 pm 

ScuderiaFerrari wrote:
Quote:
Saying that I think to get the most out of these games you need to be pretty good at them. Really though its just a matter of putting the laps in to improve, your body will naturally refine and develop the skills.

Absolutely correct. However I feel only a few people can actually olay this game to its full potential. Anyone can put a lap in but it takes skill to put in competitive times, and to have that consistentcy through race pace. People can play other racing games but it requires more skill toplay these fast moving games.

Agree. I'm not great at it but I'm not bad at it either. It takes a fair bit of practice to be able to consistently put in laps that are within a couple of tenths of eachother and at a pace that is good enough to win the race. I am yet to play online in this game so I can't comment on it but I'm sure its no different than the rest. I miss the days when I could play in a lobby full of clean drivers and we would actually have a fair race to see who actually was the best.

Lewis Hamilton :D
--------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:31 pm 

ScuderiaFerrari wrote:
People using a steering wheel, how much can you improve your laptime by?

In TTs, between 5-10 seconds. It's much easier to point the nose into the apex and just let the steering pull back central with a wheel. To achieve the same with a DS3, it ends up being a lot less fluid because the steering angle is more on/off than progressive.
I found it a lot easier to reach the limit of a setup, and deal with oversteer.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:57 pm 

huggybear wrote:
ScuderiaFerrari wrote:
People using a steering wheel, how much can you improve your laptime by?

In TTs, between 5-10 seconds. It's much easier to point the nose into the apex and just let the steering pull back central with a wheel. To achieve the same with a DS3, it ends up being a lot less fluid because the steering angle is more on/off than progressive.
I found it a lot easier to reach the limit of a setup, and deal with oversteer.

I'm the exact opposite with all my driving games from NFS to F1 and Forza on the xbox!

If you're gentle with the analogue sticks you can steer really accurately, and I can't control oversteer at all with my wheel but I'm fine almost every time with the pad. That being said, my throttle control is much better using pedals, but again my braking leaves a lot to be desired on the pedal compared to the analogue bumper button. :?

I should also point out that I've got a fairly 'standard' wheel, the xbox Ferrari one, which is bungee sprung rather than force feedback and only has about 270 degree rotation.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:35 pm 
I've bought and played F1 2010/11/12

I did buy a wheel, a Logitech DFGT and wow it makes a huge difference but it does take some getting used to.
on my first day with the Wheel I was 4-5 seconds a lap slower than the pad!! with lots of practice (this is someone who doesn't drive and has never driven so a wheel was a new experience for me) after about 4-5 days my times were similar to my pad times, but over the next couple of weeks my times continued to drop and at the end I was driving well over 2 secs a lap faster with the wheel, so much that I had to turn the AI up a setting or it was too easy.

The F1 201x games are okay but I get tired of the same flaws and bugs over and over. (sick of the 3 lap bug in F1 2012. almost every time I play career mode, on season 3 the lap distances get set to 3 laps. which annoying and amusing, annoying because it ruins your game, amusing because 3 lap races are NOT possible in F1 2012, they were in F1 2011 but taken out in F1 2012 as it won't let you normally set anything below a 25% race distance. so this is obviously some code remnant stuck in the game from F1 2011..)

I used to love playing a modded Grand Prix 4, it was the best game ever and the 1970's mod I had made it doubley so. truly epic. a shame Geoff Crammond can't work with codebodgers(masters) and produce a decent F1 game instead of the same old bugged game dumbed down for the casuals. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:04 am 

Kimi 2012 wrote:
ScuderiaFerrari wrote:
Quote:

Agree. I'm not great at it but I'm not bad at it either. It takes a fair bit of practice to be able to consistently put in laps that are within a couple of tenths of eachother and at a pace that is good enough to win the race. I am yet to play online in this game so I can't comment on it but I'm sure its no different than the rest. I miss the days when I could play in a lobby full of clean drivers and we would actually have a fair race to see who actually was the best.

That's the trick really to get good. Focus on consistency, let the car do the work instead of overdriving and pushing for out and out lap time and you will get faster.

I think its all about improving your understanding of the limit and developing the muscle memory required.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:52 pm 

JMILAT wrote:
Kimi 2012 wrote:
ScuderiaFerrari wrote:
Quote:

That's the trick really to get good. Focus on consistency, let the car do the work instead of overdriving and pushing for out and out lap time and you will get faster.

I think its all about improving your understanding of the limit and developing the muscle memory required.

Well said, once you're in that zone it all seems to come naturally until something distracts you. If this happens I find it takes a couple of laps to get back into your zone and sometimes you try to push too hard to get back into your zone, which often results in the inevitabilty of you making an error and all your hard work is comprimised.

Lewis Hamilton :D
--------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:11 pm 

Right! I am about to get in my zone!

Not sure to start a new thread or not, but lets start by doing two tracks:

1) Australia (Williams, DRY)
2) Catalunya (Sauber, DRY)

I feel to stick with the stated cars so makes it equal and please please please! state whether your using a controller or wheel.

Feel free to post settings.

Cheers, I will have some lap times up in a while.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:24 pm 

I am so on this. Picked my two worst tracks though :(

Always using a DFGT wheel, and the Steam version of F1 2012.

edit: Gone quicker in Australia, down to 1.25.9

Last edited by huggybear on Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:55 pm 

huggybear wrote:
I am so on this. Picked my two worst tracks though :(

Always using a DFGT wheel, and the Steam version of F1 2012.

Nice one dude, I'm going to do mine now but I am using the controller. Lets see how it fairs.
Good one with the pictures, but try and post the picture just after the lap with the car showing. Just stops and moaners lol.

BRB!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:42 pm 

Just took 1.4s out of my PB at Barcelona. Apparently though, people have set 1.17s round there, so 1.21.3 looks Lavaggi-esque.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:43 pm 

[quote="huggybear"]Just took 1.4s out of my PB at Barcelona. Apparently though, people have set 1.17s round there, so 1.21.3 looks Lavaggi-esque.

Dude!! You doing Catalunya in the Williams? It's the Sauber! :]

I got Albert Park done! I'm sure you can go faster if your using the wheel!

:D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:53 pm 

Oh yeah, oops. I'll re-do that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:02 pm 

I will try to post some times later tonight and/or tomorrow. Melbourne and Spain...hmmm.... I am not very good on those, but somehow I suddenly got better around melbourne. Your lap times look strong, but I`ll try!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:54 pm 

Anybody think for the 2013 version of the game we should create a set up thread?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:24 pm 

Ugh, the Sauber is a much much worse car than the Williams. Understeering massively with negative rear toe angles. How is that even possible?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:50 pm 

Robbo-92 wrote:
Anybody think for the 2013 version of the game we should create a set up thread?

Yes. But, race department and f1carsetups already have many people posting various setups.

We should a race by race lap times comparison when the specific races are on each season, you can use any car but most post a picture. :D Much like they used to do on reddit, not sure why they stopped :uhoh:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:51 pm 

huggybear wrote:
Ugh, the Sauber is a much much worse car than the Williams. Understeering massively with negative rear toe angles. How is that even possible?

Nah dude, I think the Sauber is better, keep trying, you got the wheel!!!

Adjust the springs and the anti roll bars.

I'm going to post my time round Spain now! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:30 pm 

Got down to 1.21.198 in the Sauber at Catalunya.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:33 pm 

Got a 1:21.3XX atm still can improve but yes this car understeers proper! I still think I can go faster!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:02 pm 

I found that I was having to put so much emphasis on getting the front turned in, that I'm having to tiptoe around the final chicane because it's so nervous on any kerb. Having to take a big lift through Campsa as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:34 am 

huggybear wrote:
I found that I was having to put so much emphasis on getting the front turned in, that I'm having to tiptoe around the final chicane because it's so nervous on any kerb. Having to take a big lift through Campsa as well.

Yup, know exactly what you mean. Probably my worst chicane on the game. If you get the right setup, right line and breaking right you can actually nail it and get a good exit, but yes the pressure is spinning out if you nail the power to early.
Throttle control has to be on point.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:38 pm 

When you guys are saying tha the Sauber is much better than the Williams, I presume this is only in time trial and the online mode and not in career mode? I know online even when it's set to equal performance apparently the Williams and Sauber are the best cars with the Lotus among the worst.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:13 pm 

Robbo-92 wrote:
When you guys are saying tha the Sauber is much better than the Williams, I presume this is only in time trial and the online mode and not in career mode? I know online even when it's set to equal performance apparently the Williams and Sauber are the best cars with the Lotus among the worst.

Well not really. I am comparing them solely by the track they are on. Allow me to elaborate...
We are using the Sauber in Catalunya and say it is understeering, only in Catalunya. It will differ in other tracks too. However if we were to use the Williams in Catalunya I am pretty sure it will be off the Sauber's time. And in Australia the Sauber wiill probably beat the lap times of the Williams we have set.

However, do note that, some drivers may say the Sauber is actually okay to ride in Catalunya and they will probably post a better track time due to their driving style and that setup of the Sauber to suit them, and if they like the track or not.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:10 am 

Just did a 1:29.5 at Australia on my first try. Keyboard. I'm sure I can go much faster.

How do I take a screengrab? Printscreen doesn't work.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:08 am 

Got down to 1:27.051.

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:03 pm 

sultanofhyd wrote:
Just did a 1:29.5 at Australia on my first try. Keyboard. I'm sure I can go much faster.

It doesn't work running fullscreen. Alt+Enter to force it windowed and then printscreen. Alt+Enter to go back fullscreen when you're done.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:21 pm 

huggybear wrote:
sultanofhyd wrote:

It doesn't work running fullscreen. Alt+Enter to force it windowed and then printscreen. Alt+Enter to go back fullscreen when you're done.

You will be able to improve just get into that "zone".

Let us move on from these tracks and choose something different.

Spa Francorchamps - McLaren [DRY] (Just because it this weekends race! WHOOP! :D )
Nurburgring - Mercedes Benz AMG [DRY]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:50 am 

I hear the physics in this game is terrible. nkpro/rFactor/LFS/FVA are apparently vastly superior in terms of driving dynamics. Btw, FVA is also on sale this month for 5 euros.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:56 am 

I encountered a couple of weird bugs last night on Career mode.

I was doing the R&D objective in practice at Valencia and was on my final lap, well within the time-target and then it suddenly told me half-way through the lap that I had failed the objective :-|

Then I went to try it again later in the session - it was now raining. Whenever I wanted to go out on Intermediate tyres it kept sending me out on Primes! :x

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:23 am 

I think this thread needs to move to the new F1 and Motorsport area. I will posting it there soon Probably under the name :

F1 2012 Game - Time Trials.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:27 am 

raceman wrote:
I hear the physics in this game is terrible. nkpro/rFactor/LFS/FVA are apparently vastly superior in terms of driving dynamics. Btw, FVA is also on sale this month for 5 euros.

Well not really. It depends how you see it. The game does have bugs but I reckon the driving physics of the game are very well implemented. Yes games such as rFactor are superior. But in terms of the formula 1 driving physics in the car you have to give credit to Codemasters. F1 2012 is only the third edition of the game since they started producing it in 2010 and vast changes have been made to accommodate graphics, game physics and user experience. I play GT5 which is a real driving simulator such as rFactor and the Formula 1 cars do not perform the same. It is more realistic in terms of how the car reacts when you nail the throttle and use too much curbs etc.

Cant wait for 2013!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:30 am 

coulthards chin wrote:

I was doing the R&D objective in practice at Valencia and was on my final lap, well within the time-target and then it suddenly told me half-way through the lap that I had failed the objective :-|

Then I went to try it again later in the session - it was now raining. Whenever I wanted to go out on Intermediate tyres it kept sending me out on Primes! :x

If you it said you failed the objective it could be down to few reasons.
1) The total time you needed to complete the objective might have been exceeded?
2) You may have cut the corner a little for it to invalidate your lap.

The game does have a lot of bugs and glitches to be honest.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:10 pm 

ScuderiaFerrari wrote:
coulthards chin wrote:

If you it said you failed the objective it could be down to few reasons.
1) The total time you needed to complete the objective might have been exceeded?
2) You may have cut the corner a little for it to invalidate your lap.

The game does have a lot of bugs and glitches to be honest.

I had been lapping 5-6 seconds per lap faster than was required and had plenty of time left.

It's possible that I may have cut the corner but it would have been extremely harsh if I had, since I was following the line I had been doing for the previous 4 laps

2015 - 6th

Pick 10 Podiums:
1st Place: USA 2012, Japan 2013, USA 2015
2nd Place: Bahrain 2015, Barcelona 2015
3rd Place: China 2014

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:15 pm 

raceman wrote:

They are not as accurate, no, but then Starfox isn't as accurate as Flight Sim X, didn't stop it being fun to play. You'll never find a console game that is the height of realism because Average Joe doesn't want to spend 300km of testing to find a decent anti-roll bar setting.
They want to be able to pick up and play and be pretty decent at it from the beginning. You see it with all console games. After playing ARMA 2 on PC, and then going back to a CoD, or a Battlefield, they are both noticeably more arcadey in lots of aspects.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:39 pm 

ScuderiaFerrari wrote:

Spa Francorchamps - McLaren [DRY] (Just because it this weekends race! WHOOP! :D )

There's no Nurburingring on F1 2012. The race is at Hockenheim.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:39 pm 

ScuderiaFerrari wrote:

There's no Nurburingring on F1 2012. The race is at Hockenheim.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:51 pm 

Anyone here race in the PRL? I race in the American assist and non assist leagues. Both division 2. PC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:06 pm 

I have created an official "F1 2012 Time Trials" thread here :
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8282

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:15 am 

I play it with a Logitech DFGT wheel and I love it, even though I'm not that fast.
I think the game is a lot of fun but it could be worlds better in some areas.
I think the AI is quite competitive when in Professional or Legend.
If you can beat professional AI using a HRT than you are FAST!!! Good luck doing that though :)
If you can beat Legend AI using a midfield car, then You are FAST.
The main gripe I have with the game is the way the tuning works. Like, it seems if you want to be fast you need to lower the car to the max, have the springs to the max and have the least amount of wing as possible, and that seems to work on 90 % of the tracks. That is just not realistic and takes the fun out of tuning.
Also, when you tune a car to have more front wing than rear, it does not provoke oversteer like it should. No matter what you do you end up with an understeering car that occasionally loses the rear end when throttle is applied too early on exit. That is lame. You should be able to tune a car to oversteer on corner entry, but you just can't.

Besides that there are other glitches that others mentioned, but to me the setup/tuning issues are the most annoying and have got to get better.