planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:34 pm 

chican wrote:
hd23 wrote:
shim2 wrote:
I MIGHT torrent it. Those games aren't worth the money they ask for them.

:thumbdown:

It's £20 on PC from Amazon, which is quite a bit less than the £33 for the console version. I would say it's worth £20, especially with the classic mode in this year's version.

Had I spent a regular retail or Steam price, I'd probably feel ripped off. It's not a new game, it's the same as always (same faces, same music, same cutscenes) but with a slightly improved driving physics and visuals. They've also added quite a few modalities but, all in all, it doesn't feel like a brand new game, after buying the previous games in the series, I wouldn't pay full price for it.

You can find it for 20€ in many online stores, and even though we're in the very first week since its release I find that price a bit excesive.

Shouldn't this be a DLC or a booster pack or an expansion to owners of the previous games? Probably. At least it would be more honest calling it that way. Look at the Sid Meier's Civilization saga, they've released a couple of expansions and many DLCs for Civilization V since it came out in 2010, despite the expansions changing the gameplay drastically they don't sell them as Civilization VI/ VII...

This goes beyond F1 rights and merchandising, this is a blatant case of videogame industry ethics, you can't recycle an older game and sell it as new. No sir, you shouldn't do that.

And if they HAD to release a game yearly by contract, then they should kindly grant us, followers of the saga, discounts.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Yes certain things have stayed them same - the overall interface, the YDT.. However, plenty has changed.

Handling - a LOT better in 2013 ed. Car is more tail happy under acceleration (as it should be) but turning feels a lot better.
Graphics, in particular lighting effects, have taken another step-up. The colour palette has been adjusted too
Sounds are AMAZING now. Particularly the classic cars - I haven't raced everything yet but the 80's cars had hair sticking up on the back of my neck.
They've also added Mid-race saves so you can properly do long races without setting ages aside.

The only downside I've seen so far is on PS3 at least, the auto-save delays are too long. But that's it. It's a much larger step up from the previous games.

Since I used to work in games retail it was much easier to get hold of these games for cheap. However I have no problem with the money I've spent on the classic edition.
Worth it to hear Murray's voice too!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:43 pm 

Sevenfest wrote:
chican wrote:
hd23 wrote:
shim2 wrote:

It's £20 on PC from Amazon, which is quite a bit less than the £33 for the console version. I would say it's worth £20, especially with the classic mode in this year's version.

Had I spent a regular retail or Steam price, I'd probably feel ripped off. It's not a new game, it's the same as always (same faces, same music, same cutscenes) but with a slightly improved driving physics and visuals. They've also added quite a few modalities but, all in all, it doesn't feel like a brand new game, after buying the previous games in the series, I wouldn't pay full price for it.

You can find it for 20€ in many online stores, and even though we're in the very first week since its release I find that price a bit excesive.

Shouldn't this be a DLC or a booster pack or an expansion to owners of the previous games? Probably. At least it would be more honest calling it that way. Look at the Sid Meier's Civilization saga, they've released a couple of expansions and many DLCs for Civilization V since it came out in 2010, despite the expansions changing the gameplay drastically they don't sell them as Civilization VI/ VII...

This goes beyond F1 rights and merchandising, this is a blatant case of videogame industry ethics, you can't recycle an older game and sell it as new. No sir, you shouldn't do that.

And if they HAD to release a game yearly by contract, then they should kindly grant us, followers of the saga, discounts.

Yes certain things have stayed them same - the overall interface, the YDT.. However, plenty has changed.

Handling - a LOT better in 2013 ed. Car is more tail happy under acceleration (as it should be) but turning feels a lot better.
Graphics, in particular lighting effects, have taken another step-up. The colour palette has been adjusted too
Sounds are AMAZING now. Particularly the classic cars - I haven't raced everything yet but the 80's cars had hair sticking up on the back of my neck.
They've also added Mid-race saves so you can properly do long races without setting ages aside.

The only downside I've seen so far is on PS3 at least, the auto-save delays are too long. But that's it. It's a much larger step up from the previous games.

Since I used to work in games retail it was much easier to get hold of these games for cheap. However I have no problem with the money I've spent on the classic edition.

In essence big developer "racing" games are generally geared to be more arcadish because quite honestly if it was a full blown sim everyone would hate it because the car would be amazingly difficult to drive on the limit. Having played sims for quite some time I find it rather difficult to really enjoy racing games like what Codemasters offers. It just feels like the car is driving itself. It's good that other people can enjoy them, but I personally would never spend my money on them again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:59 pm 

Of course Shim2, it's much more arcadey than rfactor etc - It's definitely more of a game than a sim, I don't think there's anyone who can say it has accurate handling.
As an entertaining F1 experience though, this is the best F1 game so far. Game being the main word there

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:14 pm 

The fact is that some of us have been playing F1 games since the 80s, we know what can be expected of a game like this and what other developers have already attempted and achieved in the past.

Codies' F1 is a decent saga but it could be much better, they can add very interesting features while keeping it playable to the masses. But, do they care? It seems we PC players finally got rid of their bugfest from previous games, but that's not enough, we want more: telemetry, deep customization, modding, we want better explanations and guidance for the car setups...

It seems that they will gradually implement these every year so as to not run out of ideas :/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:16 pm 

Is the multiplayer region locked?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:48 pm 

chican wrote:
The fact is that some of us have been playing F1 games since the 80s, we know what can be expected of a game like this and what other developers have already attempted and achieved in the past.

Codies' F1 is a decent saga but it could be much better, they can add very interesting features while keeping it playable to the masses. But, do they care? It seems we PC players finally got rid of their bugfest from previous games, but that's not enough, we want more: telemetry, deep customization, modding, we want better explanations and guidance for the car setups...

It seems that they will gradually implement these every year so as to not run out of ideas :/

Honestly, if you want that rFactor 2 is your best bet. CM, I don't think would add those features. F1 cars are stupid difficult to drive when you're pushing it with no assists. IMO slightly too difficult.

Tell you the truth I'm not even sure if RF2 has telemetry added yet as it's still in beta stage.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:19 pm 

shim2 wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:
chican wrote:
hd23 wrote:
shim2 wrote:

In essence big developer "racing" games are generally geared to be more arcadish because quite honestly if it was a full blown sim everyone would hate it because the car would be amazingly difficult to drive on the limit. Having played sims for quite some time I find it rather difficult to really enjoy racing games like what Codemasters offers. It just feels like the car is driving itself. It's good that other people can enjoy them, but I personally would never spend my money on them again.

To be honest ive played plenty of rfactor 1 and 2 and this game with the aids all turned off in cockpit is pretty damn close. There are some things about rfactor2 i find are HARDER than real life, mainly because driving a sim car has no feedback, no feeling to warn of imminent spins and no way to judge distance/speed. F1 2013 does a better job of making you feel your in the car, without using a seat and wheel/pedals rfactor is a nightmare to play, F1 2013 is playable with a controller. Of course with a wheel setup BOTH are much easier lol.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:15 pm 

I really enjoy racing with modern cars on Jerez, it's a real joy!
I also love driving the classic cars, you can feel the power when you step on the gas, rear end is dancing like crazy :).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:27 pm 

veyron_fan wrote:
To be honest ive played plenty of rfactor 1 and 2 and this game with the aids all turned off in cockpit is pretty damn close. There are some things about rfactor2 i find are HARDER than real life, mainly because driving a sim car has no feedback, no feeling to warn of imminent spins and no way to judge distance/speed. F1 2013 does a better job of making you feel your in the car, without using a seat and wheel/pedals rfactor is a nightmare to play, F1 2013 is playable with a controller. Of course with a wheel setup BOTH are much easier lol.

I find that extremely hard to believe but I am one who can easily admit when he's wrong so I'm downloading now and will find out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:50 pm 

Played it for 10 minutes, I can't believe there is only 90 degrees of rotation on a G27. That's just stupid. I understand the lack of customization and the small turning radius for consoles but for PC? Honestly?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:05 pm 

shim2 wrote:
Played it for 10 minutes, I can't believe there is only 90 degrees of rotation on a G27. That's just stupid. I understand the lack of customization and the small turning radius for consoles but for PC? Honestly?
You need to setup your game profiler (it's that logitech icon by the taskbar, create a profile for this game and modify the steering radius. You can change every single aspect of the wheel outside the game for every particular game.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:13 pm 

chican wrote:
shim2 wrote:
You need to setup your game profiler (it's that logitech icon by the taskbar, create a profile for this game and modify the steering radius. You can change every single aspect of the wheel outside the game for every particular game.

Thanks, but that creates another problem. The steering input is much slower and in game the car still doesn't turn more than 90 degrees in either direction.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:56 pm 

shim2 wrote:
chican wrote:
shim2 wrote:

Thanks, but that creates another problem. The steering input is much slower and in game the car still doesn't turn more than 90 degrees in either direction.
I haven't bothered to setup my g27 for F1 2013 yet, but my steering radius was 222º for F1 2012.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:47 pm 

shim2 wrote:
chican wrote:
shim2 wrote:

I think somebody posted a G27 wheel set up for 2012 in the 2012 thread, you could try copying that as a starting point.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:59 pm 

Anyone get this for Christmas? What do we reckon?

I've had a quick go with the 80s cars, are there really only 3 "scenarios"? I quite liked them to be honest, racing a slower lotus against newer Ferraris and stuff like that, interesting stuff. The 80s cars with their turbos and extra power do seem to handle a lot differently to the modern cars, I actually find them more exciting to drive because you feel on-edge more of the time.

Also had a go with the "season challenge" mode because I didn't have enough time to dive into a proper season, that seems pretty good when you only have a short time to kill. I didn't play 2012 so it might've been added in that game, it was pretty cool all the same. Although once I got into a Mercedes I started dominating Vettel style so either I'm super awesome or I need to turn the difficulty up...

EDIT: Just seen the other thread. bah.