planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:30 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:10 am 

BTW is it me or when I view posts on my smart phone, some posts have small text and others have large? Makes it difficult to view/read

Using a nexus 4 if that helps?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:20 am 

Can't understand that one. Does post length have any bearing on it?

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:34 am 

f1madman wrote:
BTW is it me or when I view posts on my smart phone, some posts have small text and others have large? Makes it difficult to view/read

Using a nexus 4 if that helps?

This is to do with the browser on your phone. Some mobile browsers have algorithms that scale small text to be larger on a phone screen. However, they don't scale all text, and forums have a tendency to be inconsistent on them. It's nothing to do with the forum, it's the browser you are using:

Here are screenshots from my Galaxy Note 2 running Jelly Bean, on different browsers (click to view full size):

Stock Android

Chrome

Dolphin

Firefox

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:33 pm 

Am I going mad or did the 'Most Supported Team?' thread just disappear?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:41 pm 

Oops...

I read the team and driver ones as the same thing both times. Will apologise to McPrancingBull and get him to re-post. Sorry!

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:03 pm 

Thanks alien I'm using chrome is the stock browser a bit of a passion that it does this as I have to zoom in and then out to read stuff :(

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:32 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Oops...

I read the team and driver ones as the same thing both times. Will apologise to McPrancingBull and get him to re-post. Sorry!

Nah, good work! I'd accidentally clicked the wrong option the first time around.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:45 am 

f1madman wrote:
Thanks alien I'm using chrome is the stock browser a bit of a passion that it does this as I have to zoom in and then out to read stuff :(

Yeah, with the Nexus devices they have taken off the original stock browser and made Chrome the default browser in order to tie things in with their ecosystem on non Android devices. Unfortunately Chrome on Android is not as good as Chrome on Windows.

I would give Dolphin a try. It word wraps larges blocks of text at a width that when you tap to zoom to the column it is a readable size, rather than scaling the size of the font like Chrome and Firefox.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:24 am 

Have you tried Opera mini? I remember using it years ago and it did good job with rendering text on phpbb forums like this. I'm surprised that my mobile IE which isn't supposed to be high end browser like stock Android browser or Chrome displays this forum without any troubles.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:10 am 

dizlexik wrote:
Have you tried Opera mini? I remember using it years ago and it did good job with rendering text on phpbb forums like this. I'm surprised that my mobile IE which isn't supposed to be high end browser like stock Android browser or Chrome displays this forum without any troubles.

There are two Operas, Opera Mini and Opera Mobile. Opera Mini isn't technically a browser, it renders the pages on Operas servers and sends a static, 'rendered' version of the page to your device, like a print out, that saves bandwidth and processing power on the device.

Opera Mobile is a fully fledged browser and is really, really good. I tried out the forum on it and it rendered the fonts at the same size, and on the same layout as a desktop browser. However, if you double tapped on a body of text, it would then reformat the text to fit the width of your device - sort of the best of both worlds between Dolphin and original stock android.

Opera Mini reformatted the pages in a slightly distorted, but arguably better suited for mobile devices, style of layout.

I think Opera Mini was a great idea at the time of the iPhone 3G when smartphones were low powered and connection speeds were low. But now HSPA is widespread (I get 15MBs on cellular in rural Norfolk) and most people have access to wifi it's no longer worth the compromise.

If I was recommending a browser for Android it would be between Dolphin or Opera, even though I personally invariably end up using Chrome because of the tab syncing between all of my devices,.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:52 pm 

Hi. Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I was wondering why my post was blocked?...

http://forum.planet-f1.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=6722

I know some people don't like Ant & Dec, but I didn't realise it was actually offensive.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:02 pm 

It's not offensive, but a previous version of this thread was already locked as the discussion went nowhere. It therefore seemed unfair to lock the original and then leave yours in place when they were fundamentally the same thread.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:10 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
It's not offensive, but a previous version of this thread was already locked as the discussion went nowhere. It therefore seemed unfair to lock the original and then leave yours in place when they were fundamentally the same thread.

Oh ok. Do you think next time you lock a thread you could please just pop in an explanation why at the bottom? As you can probably tell from the start of my post, "I'm surprised this hasn't come up before, or maybe I've just missed it, but...", I didn't know there was another identical thread.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:12 pm 

I did PM you about it. You now have two messages from me waiting in your inbox as a result.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:07 pm 

Just A Query- How Much Time Does A Mod Take To Approving A Post?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:34 pm 

Done. Depends how quickly we can get to them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:29 pm 

I am a bit confused as to why the "fastest woman in the world" thread was locked. The reason given is that the program was already run, but if that is the case, almost every thread dedicated to anything in the past could also be locked, including the past race(s). The thread was being handled in a rather civil manner, especially in comparison to many other, and while it was phasing itself out, there had been some interesting information posted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:21 pm 

True, but raising the profile of the show seemed to be the only purpose of the thread as there was nothing to suggest otherwise. Besides that, there is a sticky thread for TV shows already open.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:44 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
True, but raising the profile of the show seemed to be the only purpose of the thread as there was nothing to suggest otherwise. Besides that, there is a sticky thread for TV shows already open.

It wasn't doing any harm though was it? As Blake says there were interesting points being discussed . I was quite surprised to see it locked.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:45 pm 

Lock rescinded then, the masses have spoken :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:50 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:

Thank you :nod:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:52 pm 

Re. "Wow Vettel being honest...It was payback" thread getting locked.

I don't understand why this gets done. It was a lively, busy thread about a pivotal development in the relationship between two title rivals.

To be honest I don't understand the obsession with locking threads and avoiding duplication full stop! It must cause you extra work, and must be incredible frustrating for the OP.

Why stifle the discussions that develop?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:44 pm 

Because it's a courtesy to other members not to have multiple threads discussing the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:47 pm 

Frankly, I'm glad it got locked. It would mean, another Webber/Vettel/Malaysia thread.

BTW mods, I can't seem to find my Vettel to McLaren thread. I want to brag about it when it happens. :]

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:34 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6060&p=223074&hilit=vettel+mclaren#p223074

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:48 am 

Thanks mod.

Don't you get annoyed at all the stuff we throw at ya? :]

"You know the score.. Alright that's enough.. You're not going to get any points for that.."

"But Satisfaction!"

Sebastian Vettel
World Driver's Champion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:40 pm 

You should see what some of the banned members throw at us, at least this is civil!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:00 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
P-F1 Mod wrote:

Thank you :nod:

I'm sure somebody has pointed this out before, but i want to sincerely compliment the current PF1's moderation team. I've been on this forum since 2006 or so, and have been watching the forum even earlier than that. The previous moderation team was comprised by the reencarnation and clones of Adolph Hitler, Josef Stalin, Benito Mussolini, Nicolae Ceusescu, Mobutu Sese Seko, Papa Doc Duvalier, and Kim-Il Sung. (I assume you understand this is is a joke not a political statement.)

But seriously, I have gotten some email from the past PF1 moderation team, having been suspended or censored in the past for posting very mild comments.

This moderation team is the best ever, and i mean this sincerely. Plus members such as Blinky McSquinty, kai/Jo, POBRatings, and others make this a cool place.

Additionally, the stupid, idiotic, cumbersome, silly and despisable old PROFANITY FILTER has been finally turned down. As a consequence i can correctly write the following:

"Beavis and Butt-head" (series)
"Wankel Engine" (internal combustion engine)
"I was having a fairy cakes" (famous comment)
"What's up, Pussycat" (movie)
"Let's smoke a fag" (let's light a cigarrette)
"This Hoover really sucks" (vacuum cleaner review, favorable)

Thank you very much folks. The only think that is missing to make this forum go to the top is a good search engine, seriously.

Ah, and to import back all the old forum messages prior to the forum engine change.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:45 pm 

You missed 'coffin' no longer changing to 'place of rest' and 'treat' substituting... something else. To be fair the swear filters were only done away with when we transferred forums and it's the techies we can credit for that one. I think the repeated complaints about 'Scunthorpe' finally won them over.

Either way, nice to hear positive feedback :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:39 am 

Where did the stickies go? Official threads, Pick-10 prediction...?

Edit: And now they're back. Weird.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:46 am 

They shouldn't have gone anywhere. Did you click on the wrong forum by mistake? That's the only way I can think of that they'd not be there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:58 am 

Nope, it was definitely the motorsport section. I think Upcoming TV F1 shows was the only sticky then :?
May have been a browser glitch or something.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:24 am 

Strange. If it happens again let us know and we'll get onto the techies. It may have been a server blip our end, but we'd need more information to go on to work it out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:09 am 

Yeah I'll let you know if it happens again. Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:09 pm 

How long before my account becomes approved for posting in threads??

I've made three posts so far but they're probably going to be out of date before you release them go viewing!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:02 pm 

They get approved as soon as a moderator sees them, as stated in the post approval thread. Telling us to "go viewing" isn't exactly a good way to keep us sympathetic to your cause either.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:15 pm 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
They get approved as soon as a moderator sees them, as stated in the post approval thread. Telling us to "go viewing" isn't exactly a good way to keep us sympathetic to your cause either.

Honestly that was a typo!

It was "for viewing"!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:59 pm 

Fair enough.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:31 pm 

For the past 3 days Im getting this message constantly. Earlier it was just once or twice a day, but today its been constant with atleast about 10 times so far. Is there a problem with the servers.
Quote:
503 Service Unavailable
No server are available to handle this request

I dont have laptop to check it but I am getting it usually on my phone, I got this same message yesterday while using it on my tab.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:51 pm 

It's not just me then. OK, will drop the techies a note.