planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:20 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:54 am 

I'm from the Philippines and this young Filipino-Swiss guy has been getting quite a bit of airtime over here. He's arguably the first Filipino to get an F1 test in modern machinery and is part of the Lotus F1 Junior Team.

Short video of his Paul Ricard test. I believe it's the 2011 car.

http://tl-ph.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10151402990217684

They're trying to get support for him and they're actually bringing in two F1 cars to drum up some public and I presume financial support. It's a million Euro gamble. The event is called the Manila Speed Show and Eric Boullier has confirmed his attendance.

http://business.inquirer.net/119439/stockinger-parades-famous-lotus-f1-car-in-manila-speedshow

Quote:
Racing career

Early career

Prior to joining the Formula Renault series, Stöckinger won titles and honors from international derbies such as the Formula BMW Pacific 2008 Championships, the Senior Rotax Max World Finals 2007, the Asian Karting Championship 2006, the Junior Rotax Max-World Finals 2005 and the Philippine Shell Super Karting Series 2002. He participated at the 2008 Formula BMW Europe season - the championship's maiden season after the merger of the British and German series - as a guest driver, racing at the Hungaroring (21st and 23rd place), Valencia Street Circuit (15th and 23rd place) and at the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps (20th and 21st).

Formula Renault (2009–2010)

Stöckinger made his debut at the UK championship in 2009 at 18 years of age, joining other newcomers including Harry Tincknell, Matias Laine and Will Stevens.[4] He arrived 20th on his debut at Brands Hatch and eventually finished 25th in the championship with 56 points. His best result was an eleventh place at round eight at Oulton Park.

The following season began at Thruxton on April 3, 2010 and will end on October 10 at Brands Hatch, after twenty rounds held in England, and for the first time since 2006, Scotland.[5] After arriving 10th in his first race of the year, the Filipino-Swiss driver was able to finish third at Rockingham Motor Speedway, his best result ever in two seasons. At the Croft Circuit (round 8) he started from pole and finished the race first, becoming the first Filipino to have won a formula race in Europe.[1] The performance was then followed by a second place in the same circuit, behind Lewis Williamson.

GP3 Series (2011–2012)

The following year, Stöckinger moved to the GP3 series, where he suited up for Atech CRS Grand Prix in the 2011 GP3 Series season.

Going into his second year in the GP3 Series, the Filipino was assessed by Status Grand Prix during their autumn tests. Stöckinger was regularly featured in the Top 5 of the time sheets at Barcelona, Valencia and Jerez tests, and impressed the team with his performances.[6] In February 2012, Stöckinger left Atech GP and signed to join Status Grand Prix for the 2012 GP3 Series season.[6] Marlon bagged his first win in the 2012 GP3 Series at Monaco and set his first pole position and the fastest lap of the race. [7] [8]

Formula Renault 3.5 Series (2013-present)

He became a member of the Lotus F1 Team in February 2013, serving as one of seven junior team drivers. Stockinger and the other six young drivers will be supported by Lotus in all areas such as driving skills, physical fitness, health and nutrition, social and mental development, business ethics and principals, as well as PR training as a preparation for their future careers.[9]

I just wanted to get an unbiased opinion on his talent, haven't really been able to follow his career since his series isn't on the sports channels available to me. Can he make it to F1?

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:30 am 

I've not heard of him before, but I'll keep an eye out during 3.5 weekends.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:47 am 

Never heard of him. I hope he does well

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:54 pm 

I wanted to watch this road show but tickets from Cebu to Manila are too expensive. -.-
I think it might be too early to judge whether Marlon can make it to F1. He's won one race and Lotus
saw some potential in him so he must have some talent. I hope he doesn't throw it all away and become an 'artista'.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 3:48 pm 

Never heard of him. But good luck!