planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:54 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

Post subject: Kovalainen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:51 pm 

Race fans!

I have followed Kovalainen since he was test driver for Renault.

Now he goes on his third year at Lotus... sorry Caterham and the pace is yet to be found.
If I was him I owuld start looking for some other line of work.

DO you agree?
WHere would I go if I was Kovalainen looking for work? :D

Minds are like parachutes, they work best when they are open

Post subject: Re: Kovalainen
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:56 pm 

SwSpeed wrote:
Race fans!

I have followed Kovalainen since he was test driver for Renault.

Now he goes on his third year at Lotus... sorry Caterham and the pace is yet to be found.
If I was him I owuld start looking for some other line of work.

DO you agree?
WHere would I go if I was Kovalainen looking for work? :D

Ferrari? :-P I think he should start working on Mercedes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:58 pm 

He won't get a job for a top team under normal circumstances. Maybe look at Williams or Sauber.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:05 pm 

As a Williams fan, I would be delighted to have him. Certainly his talents are wasted at Caterham but I can see have going into rallying like Raikkonen.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:23 pm 

Yes of course everyone in the last 3 teams should look for other job offers, but the most important thing is that he won't be getting a job from Ferrari or any other top team if he can't even beat his crashing/pay-driver team-mate. Beating Trulli almost 100% made Kovalainen look much better what he really seems to be.

7 Time WDC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:31 pm 

rewas wrote:
Yes of course everyone in the last 3 teams should look for other job offers, but the most important thing is that he won't be getting a job from Ferrari or any other top team if he can't even beat his crashing/pay-driver team-mate. Beating Trulli almost 100% made Kovalainen look much better what he really seems to be.

Nice... so, how does he "seem to be"?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:47 pm 

Kovalainen had his chance at a top team and looked pretty second rate. I doubt he'll get another. He's a decent driver but clearly not good enough to mix it at the top unfortunately. I can only see him spending the rest of his F1 career mixing it in the midfield.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:13 pm 

I don't think he'll get another chance with a top team. He was just too bad with McLaren. Its almost as if McLaren only had Hamilton during those 2 years. Personally I don't think he has the aggression or ruthlessness to be a top driver. He may have enough speed to be a midfield runner but I wouldn't want him occupying a competitive seat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:32 pm 

Kovalainen would do himself no favours moving to a lower midfield team. At the moment he is the fastest driver of division B and as a result everyone thinks he's doing an amazing job. Unless he's going to a team where he is guaranteed podiums I don't think it would do him any good. When the Caterham starts fighting with the lower midfield and occasionally winning his reputation would be much further enhanced because people would see it as Kovalainen making the difference and putting the Caterham where it shouldn't be. Yes, he could move to a different team and start picking up lowly points once in a while, but he's essentially be in the bottom half of division A rather than the top of division B and only one of those situation is 'sort of' winning.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:36 pm 

Sadly he is done as far as top teams are concerned.
He had his chance and unfortunately it didnt work out for him. He is not going to get another chance in top 2-3 teams in his career. Too many good young drivers around. Too many good experienced drivers around. Too many freaking pay drivers around. Does not look good for someone like Kova does it?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:13 pm 

SwSpeed wrote:
rewas wrote:

You know, I mean that his just another Buemi/Glock etc, nothing really special but not the worst out there.

7 Time WDC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:17 pm 

In my opinion he should look for a drive from any other team except for Marussia, HRT or Caterham.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:36 pm 

I thought not to send loads of cowsh*it on him. :lol:

I hope he gets to a "points" team and can move forward from there. If he performs well then there might be a spot available on a top team.
I remember what his weak-spots were at McLaren.
He suffered from bad starts. They were that lousy that he always ended in midfield. Now he has done well he might have a chance getting upwards the pecking order :-P

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:39 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Kovalainen would do himself no favours moving to a lower midfield team. At the moment he is the fastest driver of division B and as a result everyone thinks he's doing an amazing job. Unless he's going to a team where he is guaranteed podiums I don't think it would do him any good. When the Caterham starts fighting with the lower midfield and occasionally winning his reputation would be much further enhanced because people would see it as Kovalainen making the difference and putting the Caterham where it shouldn't be. Yes, he could move to a different team and start picking up lowly points once in a while, but he's essentially be in the bottom half of division A rather than the top of division B and only one of those situation is 'sort of' winning.

I disagree. A midfield team can turn into a top team. That is Kovers only hope of getting back to the top. We have seen Red Bull progress from midfield to the top same as Renault did before. Sauber this year have produced a quick car as have Williams. He has to take a chance and hope this happens for him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:00 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

I disagree. A midfield team can turn into a top team. That is Kovers only hope of getting back to the top. We have seen Red Bull progress from midfield to the top same as Renault did before. Sauber this year have produced a quick car as have Williams. He has to take a chance and hope this happens for him.

I second to that :nod:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:46 am 

if he's the first driver from the new teams to get mixing with the midfield and bag the first point (or get into Q2 on pace), his stock will rise dramatically.. basically seen as one of those drivers 'punching above their weight'.

if Grosjean can come back to a 3rd/4th best car, why can't Kovalainen?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:29 am 

evooo wrote:
if he's the first driver from the new teams to get mixing with the midfield and bag the first point (or get into Q2 on pace), his stock will rise dramatically.. basically seen as one of those drivers 'punching above their weight'.

I don't think Heikki would ever pay for a drive.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:30 am 

SwSpeed wrote:
He suffered from bad starts.

...and qualifying.

...and race-pace.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:43 am 

Centauri wrote:
SwSpeed wrote:
He suffered from bad starts.

...and qualifying.

...and race-pace.

Actually I would dare to say that he outqualified Lewis fuel-corrected during their partnership (I may be wrong of course), but his absolutely biggest issue was his poor race pace. I don't think he'll ever be in a top team again. His biggest chance of success would be to somehow get into a midfield team and hopefully get a good car, like e.g. Sauber has this year.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:04 am 

SwSpeed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Was he not recognised last year by the team bosses as one of the drivers that had performed extremely well?

He also claimed there was more than met the eye in his time at Mclaren.

He could do really well in a Williams/Lotus/Force India.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:45 am 

Did Kovalainen not say last year that he'd stay at Caterham unless a top team came calling? I'd agree with him as Caterham may come good as much chance as any other midfield team (I'm meaning race wins/podiums not consistent points). He's been there from the start too so he may get favoured over any teammates.

I think he's very good but was put in the McLaren too early in his career as he isn't as good as Hamilton which made some think he's not great.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 11:08 pm 

Honestly, I still don't understand why Caterham are so well-seen. By looking at the sheer numbers, they have yet to score their first point and really they haven't been able to mix conclusively even with the lower midfield. Yes, occasionally they managed to disrupt the back-balance for some laps/races, but there's still a long long way to go. And nobody can guarantee to Kova that they will actually go the distance and transform into a point/midfield team soon (or ever) - so the question is whether he can spare the time to wait and (maybe) make happen with Caterham or go with another team which could offer at least a bit of experience and history... at the present conditions, if he should be contacted by anybody else than the new 3, I would say go for it in a heartbeat.
He can still work out good if put in a decent team - let's not forget that by the end of 2008 Button was a complete wash-up/write-off from he grid. Sure, it took Brawn and 6 stellar races to put him back on the chart, and this situation will not happen soon (at the same magnitude, at least) but Kova - if he steps up the teams ladder a little bit - could pull up a smaller miracle and mix up for the 9th/10th/11th place.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:46 am 

I think he's one of the most overrated drivers in F1 to be honest. I don't believe for a second that he's driving so much better than he was in 08/09 just because he beat a demotivated Trulli. He had his chance at a top team, and he got a second chance to redeem himself in 2009. He didn't prove that he deserved it.

In terms of reputation Caterham has done wonders for him as the car is so much better than the other new teams. But I doubt they are going to be challenging for regular points anytime soon so career-wise he should be looking to get out of there and into the midfield.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:00 am 

Caterham is good team for Kovalainen! His only problem is his teams Technical Director who is a schmuck quack! Gascoyne is utterly useless in my opinion! The promises which Caterham|Team Lotus|1Malaysia Racing has been making over the past 3 still have to materialize.

He should stick with caterham for now, maybe they might progress up the field like RB given that Gascoyne is kicked! =)

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:18 am 

Location: Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
onlythebrave wrote:
SwSpeed wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

Was he not recognised last year by the team bosses as one of the drivers that had performed extremely well?

He also claimed there was more than met the eye in his time at Mclaren.

He could do really well in a Williams/Lotus/Force India.

He puts his poor Macca performance down to not having enough confidence and not knowing how to get the most out of the team. Two areas in which he claims to have made huge strides lately (which I think is clear).

But, assuming he had the option, what's the point in leaving for FI, Williams or the like? Unless you're in a top team you're effectively in a shop window trying to impress one. To have the best chance of doing that you need to be happy, feel valued, be able to get what you need from the team and get the best out of yourself. He has that at Caterham but may not at another team. Ultimately it desn't matter where you're coming in relation to everyone else, only in relation to your teammate and where you should be given the car you've got.

Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?

-Epicurus

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:25 am 

ATM2 wrote:
Honestly, I still don't understand why Caterham are so well-seen. By looking at the sheer numbers, they have yet to score their first point and really they haven't been able to mix conclusively even with the lower midfield. Yes, occasionally they managed to disrupt the back-balance for some laps/races, but there's still a long long way to go. And nobody can guarantee to Kova that they will actually go the distance and transform into a point/midfield team soon (or ever) - so the question is whether he can spare the time to wait and (maybe) make happen with Caterham or go with another team which could offer at least a bit of experience and history... at the present conditions, if he should be contacted by anybody else than the new 3, I would say go for it in a heartbeat.
He can still work out good if put in a decent team - let's not forget that by the end of 2008 Button was a complete wash-up/write-off from he grid. Sure, it took Brawn and 6 stellar races to put him back on the chart, and this situation will not happen soon (at the same magnitude, at least) but Kova - if he steps up the teams ladder a little bit - could pull up a smaller miracle and mix up for the 9th/10th/11th place.

That's where the problem is. After his stint at McLaren nobody can guarantee that Kovalainen himself could go the distance if Caterham gave him a good car. Kovalainen is not in a great bargaining position at all. His current performance is probably better than he was doing at McLaren but he is a big gamble for even a mildly competitive team now.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:44 am 

SwSpeed wrote:
rewas wrote:

Because he was blown away by Lewis and even when he qualified higher he did a Webber and went backwards.

As much as it was "Team Lewis" there is no excuse for being blown away, same goes for Massa in the Ferrari. A team will not purposely make some one go slower especially when they can take points off the challengers. It made Lewis's job harder that season when Kimi was helping Massa by stopping Lewis from winning.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:50 pm 

I think it is time to move to the ultra tight mid-field asap. And prove a point. It is now or never for Heikki.

There is next hot finn around the corner, Valtteri Bottas it is a matter of time when we see him in the ranks of new, fresh drivers of F1

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:54 pm 

I'd see Heikki as good replacement of Massa as MW. Nowdays Heikki is consistent, strong-minded and always has been a nice guy who plays well with others.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 2:58 am 

was a good servant to mclaren, accepted lewis was #1 so he got the title.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:13 am 

Covalent wrote:
evooo wrote:

I don't think Heikki would ever pay for a drive.

Are you suggesting that Grosjean has paid for his Lotus drive?

When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion. - Robert Pirsig

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:16 am 

Looks to be "Done in f1" for the Heikki with a push for Rossi.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 4:11 pm 

I don't see why a midfield team would sign him. The only one he can fight with is his teammate. If he cannot beat Petrov than his stock will decrease. He is not worth the risk I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:00 pm 

Oilcruzer wrote:
Looks to be "Done in f1" for the Heikki with a push for Rossi.

Did I miss something?

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:26 pm 

Great battle today from Heikki by keeping Jenson at bay with that dog of a car. :thumbup: Shame that he hurt his front wing but in the end points finish would've been impossible.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 5:33 pm 

froze wrote:
Great battle today from Heikki by keeping Jenson at bay with that dog of a car. :thumbup: Shame that he hurt his front wing but in the end points finish would've been impossible.

Indeed. HK was driving with a lot of passion. That knock he received from Perez cost Caterham another spot, or two.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:24 pm 

Kovi to Williams to replace the invisible Senna

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:27 pm 

When I saw him holding off Button, I thought how it must have felt sweet for him to be in front of the guy that 'took his seat'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:28 pm 

It was probably first time since he moved to Caterham (old Lotus) when I actually noticed him during race. He had great chance of scoring first points for his team too.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:14 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
It was probably first time since he moved to Caterham (old Lotus) when I actually noticed him during race. He had great chance of scoring first points for his team too.

I noticed him at Singapore when he played fireman! But yeah, very strong performance from Heikki. Heikki to Williams to replace Senna wouldn't surprise me, or even Ferrari at a push.