planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:28 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:41 pm 

Huffington Post tonight reporting that Eddie Jordan is all but confirmed to join the Top Gear reboot.
I'm presuming, if true, that would likely rule him out of C4's F1 plans.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:50 pm 

theARE wrote:
Huffington Post tonight reporting that Eddie Jordan is all but confirmed to join the Top Gear reboot.
I'm presuming, if true, that would likely rule him out of C4's F1 plans.

I despair. :uhoh: :(
Chris Evans, Eddie Jordan and Joey from Friends. what's not to like? If only they could find a way to include VBH as well I'd jack in my BBC licence and never turn on the TV again.

I may be wrong about - Alonso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:18 pm 

For what it's worth, Lee McKenzie is working the BBC 6 Nations coverage today.
Read from that what you will, but the 6 Nations runs up to, and includs the weekend of the Australian GP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:28 pm 

I've read the news about E.J might be doing new top gear, shame that he's doing that.

Hopefully Channel 4 will announce Ben Edwards as commentator alongside DC.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:03 am 

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/no-ch ... ry-672052/

Looks like Suzi Perry won't be going to Channel 4. I was thinking this might be the case for as I always found that the way F1 was presented on the BBC went downhill when Jake Humphrey left and Suzi Perry joined.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:13 am 

I dont really want Alan Prost to be on the team tbh....

He told MotorSportsTalk: "I decided for sure, not so long ago. I prefer to be away from the operational work because it’s too complicated anyway with Formula E and the ambassador role and Canal [in France] and maybe Channel 4 [in Britain], different things that I have to do.

Source

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:12 pm 

This is a bonus :D
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/chann ... ng-673047/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:08 am 

aice wrote:

I'm very pleased about that! I would miss it if that wasn't there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:31 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
aice wrote:

I'm very pleased about that! I would miss it if that wasn't there.

:thumbup: :nod:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 5:14 pm 

Channel 4 using the chain, wow!

I would like them to announce Ben Edwards as commentator, soon I hope.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:08 am 

They're just teasing now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:25 pm 

Herb wrote:
They're just teasing now.

Plot Twist: New C4 F1 presenter is the singer Seal, he's been a huge F1 fan since the 80's and looks forward to the resurgence of Mclaren as it was with Senna and Prost. Likes: Heidi Klum, the old Hockenheim layout. Dislikes: Tilkedromes, actual seals.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:51 pm 

This seems a bit strange to me. There is still no Channel 4 F1 website. Also, there is very little news who the presenters will be. Does anyone think it is actually all planned and they are just announcing it all at the last moment? It just feels a little strange that Channel 4 made it sound that they are fully taking over F1 from the BBC and yet there is hardly any news and no website.

The main thing I am wondering is who will be the other commentator with Coulthard.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:43 pm 

Maybe it's James Allen?

As an aside I watched one of Ted's Notebooks today. It was a painful 30 minutes!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:53 am 

ALESI wrote:
Maybe it's James Allen?

As an aside I watched one of Ted's Notebooks today. It was a painful 30 minutes!

I have heard of James Allen but I can't quite remember who he is. Did he sometimes do the commentating with Alan McNish on the BBC during the practice sessions?

I watched Ted's Notebooks too and I totally agree. I didn't watch F1 as much when he used to be on the BBC but I didnt realise quite how hard he was to watch. Spends ages saying things that people clearly were not doing and then eventually pointing out the obvious. There were only a few useful points. I think I would say that I found him harder to listen to than Suzi Perry on the BBC.
I just wish channel 4 will have some sort of introduction program before their first F1 race which I assume will be the highlights of the austrailian GP.

Last edited by TheGiantHogweed on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:40 am 

I used to really enjoy Ted's notebook but he's definitely gone downhill. His driver interviews are often terrible but the one he did with Haryanto the other night was probably a new low.

I'm sure he knows what he's talking about most of the time but occasionally he makes a comment that makes you wonder. Maybe it's a lack of preparation that's the problem, that despite having a notebook, ironically, he tries to do too much of it off the top of his head.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:41 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
ALESI wrote:
Maybe it's James Allen?

I have heard of James Allen but I can't quite remember who he is. Did he sometimes do the commentating with Alan McNish on the BBC during the practice sessions?

I watched Ted's Notebooks too and I totally agree. I didn't watch F1 as much when he used to be on the BBC but I didnt realise quite how hard he was to watch. Spends ages saying things that people clearly were not doing and then eventually pointling out the obvious. There were only a few useful points. I think I would say that I found him harder to listen to than Suzi Perry on the BBC.
I just wish channel 4 will have som sort of introduction program before their first F1 race which I assume will be the highlights of the austrailian GP.

James Allen was commentator at ITV.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:43 am 

For the last few years Allen's been commentator on BBC Five Live.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:03 am 

JohnnyGuitar wrote:
For the last few years Allen's been commentator on BBC Five Live.

I actually quite enjoyed James Allen on ITV, except for when Lewis joined in 2007 and it suddenly turned into Hamilton-mania.

I'd like to see C4 bring Murray back for Silverstone - maybe only FP1 or qualifying but I doubt his heart could take it in the race!

What's happening with Ben Edwards?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:22 pm 

James Allen is vastly better on 5Live than his ITV days.

In fairness to him ITV really wanted him to push the British talent and make a fuss of them so he was only doing what he was told. It's also often forgotten, than prior to Murry retiring, Allen was the pit lane reporter for ITV and set the mould that Ted Kravitz would later follow.

In fact at the time Kravitz felt like such a lightweight in the pitlane after Allen went to the commentary box, despite all his later success in the role with BBC and Sky.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 9:15 am 

Seems like they are starting to ramp up their F1 stuff. Website coming soon apparently.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:36 pm 

It's in early (ish) stages

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/formula-1

Their F1 website, I'm looking forward to C4 announcing their lineup soon as much as the new season starting off!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:09 pm 

paulsf1fix wrote:
It's in early (ish) stages

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/formula-1

Their F1 website, I'm looking forward to C4 announcing their lineup soon as much as the new season starting off!

I watched the rugby on the itv player site today and was really, really annoyed by having to watch all the adverts on the part I did not watch before being allowed to watch the part I did want.

I hope ITV4 is not the same.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:51 pm 

Hoping they will keep on Ben Edwards- quite liked his commentary!

Also Mcneesh was pretty cool. DC in the commentary box would be awesome.

Was not a big fan of Suzy Perry but honestly at this stage I don't really care about the presenters.

I have high hopes that C4 will have a great coverage of F1, and they'll be nothing like the dinosaur that is the BBC :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:43 pm 

Starscream_910 wrote:

Was not a big fan of Suzy Perry but honestly at this stage I don't really care about the presenters.

I have high hopes that C4 will have a great coverage of F1, and they'll be nothing like the dinosaur that is the BBC :D

I think Mcnish is goingto be commentating for BBC radio 5 live as he did last year. Not so sure who will be with coulthard this year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:22 pm 

Starscream_910 wrote:

I'd be surprised if the presenter was anyone other Steve Jones at this stage.
Hoping that Ben Edwards will continue, no real reason to change him, and there's not that many other options out there anyway.

The big questions are: is either of Lee McKenzie or Jenny Gow going to crossover and who the pitlane reporter will be.
The 3rd presenter role can easily be filled on a weekend by weekend basis, and may not even be needed on non-live weekends. The BBC often did without EJ on highlight shows anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:33 pm 

I know this sounds random but I goggled a search for Channel 4 + 1 and came across this!

Great news if this is true and hopefully a full announcement is made next week.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2 ... 1-coverage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:36 pm 

Well, F1 Broadcasting Blog seems to have a rough idea who will be presenting, and there's a picture on Twitter today with Karun Chandok holding a Channel 4 microphone whilst interviewing Lewis .....

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:46 am 

DWilD wrote:
there's a picture on Twitter today with Karun Chandok holding a Channel 4 microphone whilst interviewing Lewis .....

Ha, i wondered who Lewis was looking at while being interviewed on Sky's report tonight. I could see the Channel 4 logo but not who was holding it :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:35 am 

I have just looked at my TV guide which goes about 2 weeks ahead. It says that at 12:30 - 13:30 on Saturday the 19th that formula 1 will be on. If this is the highlights of the Australian GP qualifying, then 1 hour is extremely limited considering that the highlights will quite likely have adverts in them. All of the BBC qualifying highlights were an hour and 15 minutes and obviously had no adverts. I am hoping this program either is an introduction to channel 4 and F1 or something else. One hour with adverts just doesn't seem long enough.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:59 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
I have just looked at my TV guide which goes about 2 weeks ahead. It says that at 12:30 - 13:30 on Saturday the 19th that formula 1 will be on. If this is the highlights of the Australian GP qualifying, then 1 hour is extremely limited considering that the highlights will quite likely have adverts in them. All of the BBC qualifying highlights were an hour and 15 minutes and obviously had no adverts. I am hoping this program either is an introduction to channel 4 and F1 or something else. One hour with adverts just doesn't seem long enough.

Maybe they are not expecting many highlights?

I would have thought that would be a sort of "season primer" -meet the team in the studio and track sort of thing.
I hope so anyway. Any red button stuff with it?

(anyone know how to get red button when viewing online BTW)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:30 pm 

moby wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

I would have thought that would be a sort of "season primer" -meet the team in the studio and track sort of thing.

The problem is that in my room, I don't actually have a TV. I have a freeview HD box that doesn't have a red button option. I liked the way the BBC had the channel BBC RB1 or whatever it was called. This meant that I could just go to this and I didn't even need the red button feature. I don't know if channel 4 will end up getting something similar.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:18 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
moby wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:

The problem is that in my room, I don't actually have a TV. I have a freeview HD box that doesn't have a red button option. I liked the way the BBC had the channel BBC RB1 or whatever it was called. This meant that I could just go to this and I didn't even need the red button feature. I don't know if channel 4 will end up getting something similar.

BBC is on 301, unless you happen to want regional, then its the same. I particularly want top watch rugby on regional where the English option for Audio is on the red button but have been unable to find it.

If you use Chrome there is a very good Ap called UKTVlive. (All legal Mods (I think :uhoh: )) but does not address the red button problem.

(https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... nfo-dialog)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:48 am 

Anyone know the time of the announcement today?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:54 am 

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/123162

Webber, Prost and Murray confirmed.

Steve Jones anchoring, McKenzie and Chandhok are pit lane reporters, Bruno Senna and Nic Hamilton also part of the team. Susie Wolff is also analysing.

Eddie is back too!

Apart from Jones, I'm looking forward to this now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:07 pm 

Poor old Murray. When will they let him put his feet up?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:41 pm 

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news ... nting-team

The line up looks very interesting. Really pleased that Lee McKenzie and Eddie Jordan are going to be there for it. Wasn't sure if they would be. Even Murray Walker looks like he will get involved.

It looks like the other commentator will be Ben Edwards so that is the same as it has been.

There are so many drivers from F1 that look to be taking part. Bruno Senna, Mark Webber, Alain Prost, Suzie Wolf, Alex Zanardi.

I don't know if I have included all of them!

On the 17th of March at 21:00, there is going to be a special program including Guy Martin and David Coulthard. It includes a lot of other things too which you can read about in the link I sent.

It looks like the highlights of the first race on the 20th will be from 13:30 until 15:45. That a reasonable amount of time considering it is highlights and it has adverts. On the BBC, the highlights of the races rarely were over an hour and a half. The adverts may take up some space but they won't fill that gap.

My TV guide may well not be accurate though. It still says the qualifying highlights will only be 1 hour which seems pretty short.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:28 am 

Despite living in the US (and actually having grown to like our quirky NBCSN lineup!) I'm a little envious of that depth of ex-F1 commentary, particularly Prost. I'd watch a lot of garbage to hear Prost analyze modern F1 in detail. And with less Jordan, one of my big complaints with BBC will be mooted... ;)

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:45 am 

Interview with Steve Jones here:
http://pg-f1.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/int ... jones.html

He seems like a nice enough guy, it will be interesting to see how he does, he struggled in the USA with the X Factor.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:03 pm 

foolishyouth wrote:
Interview with Steve Jones here:
http://pg-f1.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/int ... jones.html

He seems like a nice enough guy, it will be interesting to see how he does, he struggled in the USA with the X Factor.

Good set of questions and answers there - I'm keen to see how he does. I warmed to Simon Lazenby and Jake Humphries, I'm sure this will be a similar situation. He seems keen which is half the challenge in that role, as long he's not just an excitable puppy it could work well.

Chuffed at this line-up