planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:22 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:06 pm 

verbal contracts are not worth the paper they are written on (especially with a Mr BE )

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:01 pm 

moby wrote:
verbal contracts are not worth the paper they are written on (especially with a Mr BE )

Especially seeing as verbal contracts (by definition) aren't written down!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:18 am 

AngusWolfe wrote:
moby wrote:

Not sure what the -- you're talking about, seeing as Niki Lauda wrote that when negotiating with BE, white is black and night is day, but as soon as you shake hands with him, it's as good as written in stone, and that's the way Bernie was able to get where he did, everyone knows his word is good.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:32 am 

Ah, yes, good ole honest straight folrward Bernie, never a questionable action in his life. Are you serious Billy? I wouldn't trust bernie the weasel in anything, with or without a written contract.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:28 am 

4 days, 4 stories...

More doubt cast on Formula One application for state funding
http://www.expressnews.com/news/local/a ... 763204.php

Quote:

The chief executive of the Circuit of the Americas said he was “not at liberty” to disclose which governmental organization had made a “verbal application” to Formula One to bring a yearly auto race to this city.

“I wasn't here, so I don't know that,” Jason Dial told reporters when pressed on the issue. Just prior to that, he had said, “What the statute states is it's an application, it can be verbal or written. And in this case, it was obviously verbal.”

But statements by Austin city officials to the City Council in the first briefing on Formula One in June 2011 may complicate claims that a verbal application was made.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:56 pm 

AngusWolfe wrote:
moby wrote:

That is the whole point of the quote :D

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:38 pm 

Here's the latest from the SAEN, from yesterday also:

Combs failed the public on Formula One

http://www.mysanantonio.com/default/article/Combs-failed-the-public-on-Formula-One-5762668.php

Quote:

As Express-News staff writer Nolan Hicks outlined through dogged reporting, event organizers for Formula One racing botched the process to qualify for state funding — and still received it.

The first step in the process calls for a local government or nonprofit organizing committee to submit an application to the event's site selection organization (a league, for example).

The problem is there is no evidence of an application. But not to worry; Combs' office has said there may have been an oral application.

Attorney General Greg Abbott has issued an opinion stating the process has to be followed to receive state funds.

It also raises the question of just who is looking out for the public.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:53 pm 

OBTW, not F1, but the IndyCar opener in Brazil was cancelled, so now they're looking for somewhere to kick off their season. Looks like one of the possibilities is COTA...

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/11303 ... ncellation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:58 pm 

Let's hope.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:47 pm 

I've just had to remove a load of articles from this thread. Please remember to quote no more than 5 lines from an article.

Please report forum problems to us, via PM/Feedback Thread. Screenshots will also help.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:19 am 

Y'all see COTA in the Nissan Super Bowl ad?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1qCi5nSKw[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:40 pm 

hairy_scotsman wrote:

Being run clockwise?!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:43 pm 

Noticed that. I called it out "Look, it's Austin" and the people around me looked at me like I'm an alien.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:32 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
hairy_scotsman wrote:

Being run clockwise?!

Sometimes they were. Other times they weren't. I think they were trying to give the appearance of racing on different tracks over a season or a career. The ferris wheel in the shot from atop turn 1? It's never been there. That's cgi. So is the blue paint in the runoff in that shot. On the shot at the car leaving the pits (from inside the garage) it was going the wrong direction as well.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:16 am 

hairy_scotsman wrote:
OBTW, not F1, but the IndyCar opener in Brazil was cancelled, so now they're looking for somewhere to kick off their season. Looks like one of the possibilities is COTA...

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/11303 ... ncellation

IndyCar decides not to replace cancelled Brazil race: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/20 ... /22766283/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:34 pm 

tamalon55 wrote:
Noticed that. I called it out "Look, it's Austin" and the people around me looked at me like I'm an alien.

I did the same thing and had the same reaction. Worse really because I actually rewound the dvr to make sure which brought down some serious wrath since the superbowl broadcast was no longer live until a fwd for 3 seconds.
note to self: make friends with more race fans and less football fans ;)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:29 pm 

Just finished sorting my pics from the Pirelli World Challenge event at COTA. Here's my Flickr album, Saturday only.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52143223@N05/sets/72157651195096576/

... & a few samples...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:44 pm 

hairy_scotsman wrote:

Good pics but a little bit too much for my taste on the postprocessing... Too much of a white glow around them.

But to each his own of course :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:32 pm 

Nice photos but...

You've got to have generic COTA thread or something. When I see this thread bumped and your screen name as the most recent comment I get worried. (Wipes sweat from brow)

Post subject: Re: COTA
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:37 pm 

Thanks for the compliment! Sorry for alarming you. Thread title updated. ;)

Here's some news that you might like...

Blancpain GT Series coming to COTA in 2016, with Pirelli World Challenge.

Pirelli World Challenge and Blancpain GT to launch global partnership:
http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/114882-pi ... artnership

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:55 pm 

COTA GM/Senior VP Mel Harder OUT. Position eliminated: http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2015/Jun/150622vand.htm#.VYhxf8e9oZA.twitter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:23 am 

Negotiations fall through in potential COTA sale: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/negot ... cota-deal/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:06 pm 

Hmm...Rumor has it Elton John will perform during the USGP weekend at COTA.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:45 pm 

hairy_scotsman wrote:
Hmm...Rumor has it Elton John will perform during the USGP weekend at COTA.

Well, it would go over better at an international event like F1 in Austin than it would at a NASCAR event in DFW.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:22 pm 

And COTA has made it official today...

https://www.facebook.com/CircuitofTheAm ... =1&theater

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:44 pm 

These guys are so funny, too. Yesterday after we broke the news, they went on their Facebook page and told everyone they had a big announcement coming today about the feature performer at the race, & asked everyone who they thought it would be. Vance posted the corrrect answer, twice. They deleted his posts both times.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:16 pm 

Now I'm hearing the USGP EltonJohn performance will happen way out at Turn 11. Be sure to bring your best walking shoes!! That's a serious hike. Pretty much guarantees the smallest possible crowd for EJ.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:36 pm 

Jason Dial, president & CEO of Circuit of the Americas, is out

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one/exclusive-jason-dial-president-and-ceo-circuit-americas-out?utm_source=RacingDaily20151103&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_term=arrows-top&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awracingdaily

Quote:
On the heels of a disastrous Formula One race ... several sources are reporting that Jason Dial, president and CEO of Circuit of the Americas, is leaving that position, apparently the latest in a long list of track executives to have come and gone.
Dial was hired two years ago from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, where he was the marketing director, to be the track president, assisting CEO Steve Sexton. A month later, Sexton was out, and Dial assumed the CEO title.

I think we could all see the writing on the wall when Epstein hired Rittenberry to be the "Chief Strategy Officer", whatever that is ... just like when he brought Dial in with Sexton still here, and like when he brought Sexton in with Hellmund still here. The revolving door continues to spin away at COTA.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:34 am 

Some pics from PWC Friday at COTA ...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 878&type=3

Just FYI if any of y'all have T1 PSL seats, the T1 stands have been shrunk and moved...

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hp ... 4770_o.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:54 pm 

Taylor Swift to perform after 2016 F1 USGP? That was the rumor around the track yesterday.

[Unsourced image removed]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:31 pm 

The 2016 USGP is still listed as provisional and is subject to cancellation by the FIA.

Is the consensus that this is likely to get fixed or is the risk still high that the US will lose yet another grand prix?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:46 pm 

I don't see any way they don't have a GP this year over $5M. It makes no sense. Nobody leaves a free $20M on the table. 2017? Who knows?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:39 pm 

moby wrote:

Man, I read "Vettel contracts..." I must go to sleep immediately...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:57 am 

HS Thompson wrote:
The 2016 USGP is still listed as provisional and is subject to cancellation by the FIA.

Is the consensus that this is likely to get fixed or is the risk still high that the US will lose yet another grand prix?

My understanding is that the local government has agreed to re-assess the property to free up the $5m from property tax, and therefore the race will go ahead as planned. Here's a link to an article talking about it. Since Bernie is supportive of the race and won't cancel it unless he doesn't get paid, as long as the property tax reassessment isn't successfully challenged (and it seems like some people want to do so) they should be able to pay the money and there shouldn't be a problem.

At least, that's what I hope... Race of the year last year for me, and it would be a travesty if they lose the Grand Prix because of a hurricane that nobody could have controlled.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:42 am 

Exediron wrote:
HS Thompson wrote:

My understanding is that the local government has agreed to re-assess the property to free up the $5m from property tax, and therefore the race will go ahead as planned. Here's a link to an article talking about it. Since Bernie is supportive of the race and won't cancel it unless he doesn't get paid, as long as the property tax reassessment isn't successfully challenged (and it seems like some people want to do so) they should be able to pay the money and there shouldn't be a problem.

At least, that's what I hope... Race of the year last year for me, and it would be a travesty if they lose the Grand Prix because of a hurricane that nobody could have controlled.

Agreed, it would be a shame if they lose the GP someday, but it won't be because of the storm. The state notified them back in September that they were lowering their funding ... well before the storm. They changed the formula they use to determine funding. It wasn't a result of decreased attendance in 2015.

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/st ... ubt/npKxM/

http://investigations.blog.statesman.co ... 1-payment/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:44 pm 

Hearing through thegrapevine that COTA & Austin Mayor Steve Adler will announce tomorrow that the F1 USGP will stay in Austin for 2016. They may announce Taylor Swift as the musical act for the race as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:28 pm 

@adamcooperF1
'@circuitamericas uses a press release about a @taylorswift13 concert to end any doubts about the 2016 US GP taking place

@adamcooperF1
'@circuitamericas boss Bobby Epstein: "We are so happy to confirm F1’s return to COTA as well as Taylor Swift’s headline performance"

Remember where you heard it first...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:58 pm 

Video of the 'press conference'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUul2JpGppU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:03 am 

Looks like these are the grandstand choices for this year's USGP according to ticketmaster:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:55 pm 

Dagys/Sportscar365: WEC Links Up with Formula V8 3.5; 2017 Schedule Details Emerge: http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/wec- ... -schedule/

Austin and Shanghai are the only events not confirmed for 2017. V8 3.5 series joining WEC for 6 events, including Mexico, Bahrain, and Fuji, but not including Austin. Hmmm....doesn't look good.