planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: FEEDBACK THREAD
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:45 am 

P-F1 Mod wrote:
Same happening to me o a touchscreen laptop - I think it's just the effect of having tiny buttons. I've complained about it a few times over the years but nothing seems to change.

Don't think it's just the tiny buttons, sometimes it "misses" by half a page.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:32 pm 

Ah. Might be worth cleaning your screen - Mod Grey had that issue not long ago - but I'll let the techies know.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:14 pm 

I too have this problem. I've long surmised that it has something to do with adblock 'removing' ads from view but they are still being rendered and thus affect your 'click' on the page until the page is fully loaded. The effect on sites like Skysports/F365/BBC which don't always load content in order produces the same effect, i'm forever clicking on links accidently on those sites as the page jumps about for a long while as it loads. I vaguely recall there being a fix by altering something in about:config in Firefox but I don't know it offhand and I dont use FF on my phone either.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:22 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
I too have this problem. I've long surmised that it has something to do with adblock 'removing' ads from view but they are still being rendered and thus affect your 'click' on the page until the page is fully loaded. The effect on sites like Skysports/F365/BBC which don't always load content in order produces the same effect, i'm forever clicking on links accidently on those sites as the page jumps about for a long while as it loads. I vaguely recall there being a fix by altering something in about:config in Firefox but I don't know it offhand and I dont use FF on my phone either.

Let us know if you find a solution, it's already bugging me to the degree that I visit the forum less.

I don't have an ad blocker on my phone, whereas I do on my computer, yet the problem is only on the phone.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:01 pm 

A bit of digging has led me to this supposed fix in Chrome (the browser I use on my android phone)

Navigate to chrome://flags/#enable-scroll-anchoring and enable that flag

Its pure beta testing stuff though and could be pulled at any time. If you are on iOS or Windows Mobile i'm afraid I wont be any help.

Edit: Worked on the skysports site (page didn't move as the ads loaded) but on F365 the main pic at the top loading late still caused the page to jump. I'll play with it more tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:09 pm 

I tend to use Opera on my android phone and tablet. Works perfectly and it loads pages far quicker than Chrome in my experience. Been using it for years.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:31 pm 

I'm using a native browser, maybe I should try chrome or opera or something. Chrome on the computer and no issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:13 am 

Update: I have now installed Opera Mini ( ad blocker enabled), and am no longer experiencing these issues. Knock on wood!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:39 am 

Covalent wrote:
Update: I have now installed Opera Mini ( ad blocker enabled), and am no longer experiencing these issues. Knock on wood!

Setup an Opera Link account so that if you install it on another device either now or in the future, it will bring across all your settings, shortcuts, bookmarks etc.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:13 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Covalent wrote:

Setup an Opera Link account so that if you install it on another device either now or in the future, it will bring across all your settings, shortcuts, bookmarks etc.

Ok thanks for the tip.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:27 pm 

Glad that problem has been sorted, leading me onto another 'pet' hobby of mine. Any chance of enabling different stylesheets for the forum? 'Skinning' forums was a forte of mine back in the day, and while the current scheme is functional, i'd love to have a crack at knocking a few specific themes out.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:14 pm 

If you can make them extensions for browsers, go for it.

Yes, we have a swear filter now. No, it doesn't change coffin to 'place of rest'.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:26 pm 

I'll look into it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:05 pm 

The css for the current theme is... interesting.

Quick poll here, would people rather a userContent.css type thing for firefox and maybe its equivalent in chrome, or something that would work with an extension like Stylish? For the IE users out there, you're SOL right now cos i've no idea how to replicate the same thing for that.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:03 am 

Flash2k11 wrote:
The css for the current theme is... interesting.

Quick poll here, would people rather a userContent.css type thing for firefox and maybe its equivalent in chrome, or something that would work with an extension like Stylish? For the IE users out there, you're SOL right now cos i've no idea how to replicate the same thing for that.

I wish I knew what you were talking about :-(( :lol: !

Changing the subject entirely, a poster (on another thread) asked about having a 'like' option on posts.

My immediate reaction was negative as it would be a popularity contest with all comments supporting favourite drivers automatically being 'liked'.

On the other hand, I can't be the only poster too lazy to write a post just agreeing with someone elses' post (especially when they're in the middle of a long argument) - so it would be nice to have a 'like' option.

The idea is probably irrelevant though - as I gather the forum has enough software/programming problems without adding something else?!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:29 pm 

I don't think a like button is something the software supports, even if we do pretend it works fine in all other ways!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:26 am 

Is anybody else getting an issue where opening a thread or posting a reply results in a completely white screen? I've been getting this for the last few days on an annoyingly regular basis. Using Windows 10 with Chrome.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:11 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Is anybody else getting an issue where opening a thread or posting a reply results in a completely white screen? I've been getting this for the last few days on an annoyingly regular basis. Using Windows 10 with Chrome.

Been happening today for me on an Android phone, using chrome. White page is usually a server issue, a few refreshes tends to bring up the page in question in the end.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:49 pm 

Servers having another hiccup I assume - will pass it on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:31 pm 

I was still getting white screens half an hour ago.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:01 am 

White screens are getting worse.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:07 am 

Yep, me too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:00 pm 

getting really bad today...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:43 am 

Herb wrote:
White screens are getting worse.

Agreed. I've not been able to reply to your message until now and I've been trying since minutes after you posted it.

No answer yet, sadly.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:51 pm 

It works, then a white screen. It works, then a white screen. It works, then a white screen. It works, then a white screen. It works, then a white screen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:55 pm 

I know, still no answer yet :/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:37 am 

Bit better today though, it hasn't happened to me anyway.

Yet.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:57 am 

Don't tell the server, but I've had no problems either... Hopefully it's fixed itself but I still want the techies to have a look at it

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:59 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Glad that problem has been sorted, leading me onto another 'pet' hobby of mine. Any chance of enabling different stylesheets for the forum? 'Skinning' forums was a forte of mine back in the day, and while the current scheme is functional, i'd love to have a crack at knocking a few specific themes out.

Just in case anyone cares, I am actually still working on this. Whoever did the markup for phpBB was insane, which explains why the original css is such a convoluted mess. I'll post a few screenshots once I put something remotely viewable together.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:08 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

Just in case anyone cares, I am actually still working on this. Whoever did the markup for phpBB was insane, which explains why the original css is such a convoluted mess. I'll post a few screenshots once I put something remotely viewable together.

Sounds good to me, thank you. And you get no argument from me about the software...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:35 pm 

http://tsatr.mooo.com/img/pf1boardlist.png
http://tsatr.mooo.com/img/pf1topiclist.png
http://tsatr.mooo.com/img/pf1messagelisttop.png

Theres the start of it. Horrendous banner and redundant background image gone, ignore the awful neon green, thats just a placeholder for working out what actually changes what colour and where. Replacing the 'New Topic/Post Reply' buttons is going to be the next ballache

For those interested, this is designed to work with 'Stylish', which is an add-on for Firefox and Chrome that can be used to change the look of any website via CSS. If you are into that sort of thing, there are thousands of premade designs for the popular sites (YT/Facebook etc) and you can disable it with one click so you wont be doing any irreparable damage to anything by using it.

I'll look into doing something for you Internet Explorer guys and girls if I ever finish it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:25 am 

Sorry to say I've been getting white screens again this morning :-((

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:51 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Sorry to say I've been getting white screens again this morning :-((

Techies have been told, thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:53 pm 

Yeah, I was getting 'em yesterday quite prolifically pre race, forgot to mention.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:11 am 

Thanks. Still not heard anything since the last time this happened, but all I can do is report it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:42 pm 

http://tsatr.mooo.com/planetf1/test.css

That's the css file for anyone wanting to give it a test whirl with Stylish (chrome/FF users), you can also save that file as a userContent.css and use it with Firefox that way (if you have any idea what im talking about). Messed about with transparency and stuff like that but given the way the whole thing is rendered with layers upon layers of tables (half of which you cant even see) that's proving to be an impossibility :(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:21 pm 

Main PF1 site still doesnt work with Firefox. I have the plugin adblock but I have it disabled for this site. I dont know if that's the reason or not.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:04 pm 

I'm using Firefox on here as standard - seems to work fine, and I've not got adblock installed because it's basically JUST the forum I run in this browser. I know the banner ads are annoying but we have to pay the bills somehow and it wouldn't surprise me if functionality has been tied to those. Honestly, your best bet might be to install Flash2k11's add-on. I'll report it to the techies anyway but I've still heard nothing about forum-wide glitches so don't expect a quick fix.

I'll have a word with Mod Silver too, he might be more helpful than me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:20 pm 

nixxxon wrote:
Main PF1 site still doesnt work with Firefox. I have the plugin adblock but I have it disabled for this site. I dont know if that's the reason or not.

Define 'not working' mate, not loading at all or is it all messed up? I've got adblock installed (and a lot of other stuff to boot) and the main site is working fine for me. Just on the off chance too, what address are you using to access the main site? I've gone through periods where http://planetf1.com wont load but http://www.planetf1.com works fine, same with or without the hyphen between 'planet' and 'f1' too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:48 pm 

Made some minor progress with transparency

http://tsatr.mooo.com/img/pf1transparency.png

Once I clean this up a bit i'll make a thread in Off Topic with some instructions/links and i'll probably take a few requests for themes from the regulars if anyone is remotely interested in this little endeavour.