planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:09 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:50 am 

Congrats to Ferrari. A fantastic job done over the winter, and it's starting to feel like a Schumi-Mika slug from days gone by. Awesome for F1.

Vettel is Ferrari's man. The decision has been made to back him for the title after Australia, perhaps even before a wheel turned in anger this year. That means every race decision from now on is made to deliver maximum points for Sebastian Vettel. Mercedes appear to be sticking with their 'rules of engagement' for now and this could cost them dear in a season which, at present, looks nip and tuck. If the roles were reveresed yesterday Ferrari would have found a way to pit Vettel before Kimi, even if Kimi were ahead on track. That is the difference maker at the moment, and Mercedes need to back Lewis now otherwise it WILL cost them the championship. Bottas is a great talent and his chance will come. Just not this season.

Merc strategy also appears to be driven too much by numbers on a computer screen rather than pure motorsport 'gut feeling', know how and experience. It was obvious by about lap 30 how this was going to play out but their strategist seems to persevere with optimistic race decisions. He's had an easy couple of years, controlling all of the cars that have a chance to win the race. When you control only 50% of those cars decisions need to be made quickly, and based on what's happening on track and not what's on the computer screen in front of you.

Bottom line, the race was winnable for Merc yesterday, and they didn't win it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:58 am 

It was the same for Ferrari in China. They left Vettel behind Kimi too long and cost him a chance to challenge. In both cases i doubt it would have changed the result, however

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:25 am 

Pure guess work on anyone's part but I think if bottas had released Hamilton just after the SC it could have been different , albeit vettel I think had enough pace to stay ahead. However if Mercedes had pit Lewis first in the first stint or even pit bottas the lap after vettel I am convinced Hamilton would have won. He would have either undercut vettel or nt incurred the pit penalty and lost time due to the stack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:29 am 

I think it's too early.

Hamilton is only 23 points ahead of Bottas. They were talking like that was a lot on the Sky F1 show but it really isn't with the current points.

I think they need to have some kind of agreement that if your team mate is behind you and faster you let him past. Other than that I see no reason to consign Bottas to number 2.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:16 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
I think it's too early.

Hamilton is only 23 points ahead of Bottas. They were talking like that was a lot on the Sky F1 show but it really isn't with the current points.

I think they need to have some kind of agreement that if your team mate is behind you and faster you let him past. Other than that I see no reason to consign Bottas to number 2.

Only 23 points in only 3 races, sure.
There is the reason, and that one is called Ferrari-Vettel.
Those years where Merc enjoyed the clear supremacy over everybody else, and they could afford the free racing between the teammates, are obviously the matter of the past now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:20 am 

Prema wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I think it's too early.

Those years where Merc enjoyed the clear supremacy over everybody else, and they could afford the free racing between the teammates, are obviously the matter of the past now.

But remember Redbull 2010 if they had designated Vettel as No 2! They would have lost the WDC.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:31 am 

Rockie wrote:
Prema wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I think it's too early.

But remember Redbull 2010 if they had designated Vettel as No 2! They would have lost the WDC.

You mean, designating No 2 driver in the very last race of the year?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:47 am 

Bottas is in a cr*ppy position right now. Accepting number 2 status is the best way to kill his own career, but he needs a contract for 2018... still if he can start claiming pole positions regularly that will do him no harm, and help make life difficult for Merc. How many times can you ask the pole sitter to move over?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:54 am 

They clearly backed Hamilton yesterday.
Remember that Vettel got in front of Hamilton at turn 1.
All top 4 drives were slowed down quiet a bit due to slow Bottas yesterday.
And Ferrari undercut them. At that point, race was lost with or without penalty to Hamilton. Safety car actually helped keep the gap narrower than it would have been had they been racing at full speed.
Hamilton was released quickly 2 times yesterday when he ended up on back of Bottas.
The penalty was his own doing. I dont think Merc could have done anything more yesterday.

They couldn't tell Bottas to move over and let both Vettel and Hamilton pass. And they couldn't do anything other than stack the drivers.

The only thing they missed was undercut. But that was risky and gutsy call by Ferrari.

As far as Mercedes is concerned they didn't hesitate to tell Bottas to move over. I don't know what more anyone would want from them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:14 am 

Hamilton lost second place to Vettel at the start.
Bottas backed Vettel up and Hamilton couldn't pass Vettel.
If Hamilton hadn't backed Ricciardo up so much in the pits, he wouldn't have got the 5 seconds penalty, Ricciardo would have cleared Bottas earlier, so Bottas could have been released earlier and Bottas and Hamilton could both have left the pits earlier.
When Bottas was asked to, he moved over quickly to let Hamilton past - twice.

I think Mercedes have already started, and Bottas is co-operating.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:27 am 

The first time Mercedes asked Bottas to move over it was too late. Everyone could see what was going to happen, Bottas holds up Hamilton while Vettel creates a gap. Mercedes left it too long.

Mercedes made quite alot of errors yesterday, it all started when they didn't react to Ferrari at the first pitstops who was 2-3 seconds a lap quicker than Bottas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:36 am 

Bottas was faster than Hamilton in Australia but held station behind him. In China he had a spin so the two were never in the same race. And in Bahrain Bottas qualified ahead, before starting the race with tyres that had the wrong pressures because the team screwed up, then was put on a worse strategy than Hamilton, then was instructed to move over for Hamilton, then found himself in front again after Hamilton served his penalty, so was instructed to move over again. So basically there's no evidence that Bottas has ever been free to race Hamilton so far.

And the conclusion people are drawing is that Mercedes aren't favouring Hamilton enough? Seriously? It's such a shame that Sky and their Hamilton cheerleading have dragged the level of discourse around F1 through the mud ("Vettel has a big lead on Hamilton but he's coming up to traffic? Blue flags should be banned! Hamilton made a badly timed pitstop that he himself demanded? The team screwed him! Lewis' car in the wrong engine mode? Revoke the radio ban! Lewis spun off while pushing too hard? The team's fault for not pitting him before he spun! Lewis suffers one mechanical DNF in the entire year? Must be a conspiracy against him!" etc etc etc) - they seem to have produced a generation of fans with extremely warped views of F1 that seems to think the entire sport should revolve around Lewis, so much so that their reaction to a race where he benefitted from team orders not once but twice, is that he doesn't benefit from team orders enough.

In contrast, Vettel has outqualified his Raikkonen every time, and the only time he's ended up behind him was when he got unlucky with the safety car - his response to that was to overtake Raikkonen fair and square with a really aggressive move, with no orders involved. Yet people are saying Ferrari are favouring Vettel and Merc aren't favouring Hamilton. It makes no sense.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:43 am 

I think much of the 'problem' if it can be called a problem, comes from Merc wanting 1&2 rather than just a win and whatever, and also they seem averse to put drivers on different strategies.

It may be due to the flack they got about favouritism, but it seems they have to be seen to be doing the same for both cars. The obvious choice in some cases is start one car on the harder choice as the qualifying is so good and it would be in the top 4 anyway. A hare and hounds at the front and a marathon runner behind. This seems to them to make it look as if one driver is given 'faster tyres' and they will not do it.

Also, (and I am not sure this is still the case) they have only one strategist (team) and will go for the best of 2 not cherry pick the one in best position and sacrifice the other.

BTW, all this conspiracy theory could have been averted had they given Hamiltons car an extra nudge of engine mode in qualli, or backed off Bottas unit anyway. So forget the conspiracy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:49 am 

ALESI wrote:
Bottas is in a cr*ppy position right now. Accepting number 2 status is the best way to kill his own career, but he needs a contract for 2018... still if he can start claiming pole positions regularly that will do him no harm, and help make life difficult for Merc. How many times can you ask the pole sitter to move over?

Though, it is still in his hands, to be fair. He needs to earn his equal status, or yield to the reality. His career is at the peak at this moment, higher he can't go - unless he beats his teammate. That is the tough situation, when you finally land into that top car you get the top driver for your teammate, and the situation of the having to actually fight for the wins and the title is a brutal one. Otherwise he could have kept happily driving in Williams and never get exposed to such.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:49 am 

optimisteprime wrote:
Bottas was faster than Hamilton in Australia but held station behind him. In China he had a spin so the two were never in the same race. And in Bahrain Bottas qualified ahead, before starting the race with tyres that had the wrong pressures because the team screwed up, then was put on a worse strategy than Hamilton, then was instructed to move over for Hamilton, then found himself in front again after Hamilton served his penalty, so was instructed to move over again. So basically there's no evidence that Bottas has ever been free to race Hamilton so far.

And the conclusion people are drawing is that Mercedes aren't favouring Hamilton enough? Seriously? It's such a shame that Sky and their Hamilton cheerleading have dragged the level of discourse around F1 through the mud ("Vettel has a big lead on Hamilton but he's coming up to traffic? Blue flags should be banned! Hamilton made a badly timed pitstop that he himself demanded? The team screwed him! Lewis' car in the wrong engine mode? Revoke the radio ban! Lewis spun off while pushing too hard? The team's fault for not pitting him before he spun! Lewis suffers one mechanical DNF in the entire year? Must be a conspiracy against him!" etc etc etc) - they seem to have produced a generation of fans with extremely warped views of F1 that seems to think the entire sport should revolve around Lewis, so much so that their reaction to a race where he benefitted from team orders not once but twice, is that he doesn't benefit from team orders enough.

In contrast, Vettel has outqualified his Raikkonen every time, and the only time he's ended up behind him was when he got unlucky with the safety car - his response to that was to overtake Raikkonen fair and square with a really aggressive move, with no orders involved. Yet people are saying Ferrari are favouring Vettel and Merc aren't favouring Hamilton. It makes no sense.

Wounder who your not a fan off :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:07 am 

optimisteprime wrote:

I strongly agree with this. If people judge Bottas on the points gap, then we need to remember that this points gap very likely wouldn't be as large if Bottas hadn't been given these team orders. I'm not saying Hamilton hasn't had any bad luck this season. But I am very certain that if Bottas hadn't had 2 long pit stops in China, he certainly will have beaten Raikonnen and maybe Ricciardo too. In this race, if he didn't have his tyre pressure and uneven brake temperature problems in the first stint as well as not getting the team orders, I think he'll have managed to get 2nd. He'd then be a fair bit closer to Hamilton in the points. And it is true that we haven't yet managed to see Bottas and Hamilton have a fair fight. If there were no team orders this race, Hamilton may well have really struggled to get past Bottas. So if everybody was saying Bottas was so slow, if Hamilton couldn't get past, they surely that would show that Hamilton isn't that good at overtaking Bottas even when he's driving slowly? He was given 2 free overtakes which I personally found to be a little unfair. If Bottas was a slow as people were saying he was, He should have been dead simple to get past. But he managed to keep Vettel and Hamilton behind him for over 10 laps even with his problems on the first stint. So he can't have been that slow! I know that Hamilton is clearly overall the better driver, but I think Bottas should be given more equal opportunities than he's being given. I still think there will be some race tracks where Bottas will have a better race. Quite possibly Russia as Bottas has always been really strong in qualifying and the races there.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:15 am 

Prema wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Prema wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I think it's too early.

I think it was Brazil where Vettel finished ahead of Webber.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:35 am 

At the worst, Merc would lose the WDC if Kimi doesn't improve. Consistent podium finishes would give them the WCC.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:54 am 

Am I missing something? I thought this was Bottas third race on a new team against a driver who has been with the team for years. What exactly would have been reasonable expectations... the key word being reasonable?

If Bottas had come in and immediately was on a par with Lewis, would that not have brought Lewis into question?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:24 pm 

Blake wrote:
Am I missing something? I thought this was Bottas third race on a new team against a driver who has been with the team for years. What exactly would have been reasonable expectations... the key word being reasonable?

If Bottas had come in and immediately was on a par with Lewis, would that not have brought Lewis into question?

I think that's irrelevant to the OP. While tripping over themselves to ensure Bottas has equal status, Mercedes will watch Vettel waltz to the WDC. That's the point he was making. They must realize that Vettel and not Bottas is the biggest threat to Hamilton winning the title and so by helping Bottas, they help Vettel (and hurt themsleves).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:32 pm 

I think it's quite amusing that everyone's saying that Mercedes have to favour Lewis on the assumption that Ferrari will do/are doing this for Seb. There's no evidence tbat Ferrari are treating Vettel as their number 1 driver, in fact the evidence suggests that at the moment Ferrari are treating both drivers equally. On the one occasion where Vettel has found himself behind Raikkonen on track, he has had to legitimately overtake him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:43 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
I think it's quite amusing that everyone's saying that Mercedes have to favour Lewis on the assumption that Ferrari will do/are doing this for Seb. There's no evidence tbat Ferrari are treating Vettel as their number 1 driver, in fact the evidence suggests that at the moment Ferrari are treating both drivers equally. On the one occasion where Vettel has found himself behind Raikkonen on track, he has had to legitimately overtake him.

In that same race they hung Raikkonen out to dry to try to hold up Hamilton during his final stint. Basically they compromised Raikkonen's race in hopes of helping Vettel. And it wasn't Ferrari who didn't move Raikkonen, it was Vettel. They asked Seb on the radio if he was being held up and Seb said "yes but so is Kimi" and basically wanted to give Kimi a chance to pass Dan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:43 pm 

I don't think that Mercedes or Ferrari need to back one particular driver, they do need to make sure the faster driver isn't held up by the slower driver though.

Say in Russia that Vettel leads, Hamilton 2nd and Bottas in 3rd. Hamilton is struggling and Bottas is flying, at his current pace he could catch Vettel but first needs to clear Hamilton. In that instance the best thing Mercedes could do would be to order Hamilton to let Bottas through to give him a shot at the win.

I don't like team orders but it does seem that Mercedes and Ferrari need to start thinking of the bigger picture and putting themselves in the best position to win the race, as a team. Vettel arguably lost a shot at the win being stuck behind Kimi for a while in China whilst clearly being quicker for instance.

Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:46 pm 

The most obvious thing yesterday was, you have a car out front that is absolute struggling and holding up 5 other cars. Its obvious that car needs to pit first of the train as soon as any kind of window opens. Bottas should have pitted the same lap or the lap before Vettel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:52 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
optimisteprime wrote:

I strongly agree with this. If people judge Bottas on the points gap, then we need to remember that this points gap very likely wouldn't be as large if Bottas hadn't been given these team orders. I'm not saying Hamilton hasn't had any bad luck this season. But I am very certain that if Bottas hadn't had 2 long pit stops in China, he certainly will have beaten Raikonnen and maybe Ricciardo too. In this race, if he didn't have his tyre pressure and uneven brake temperature problems in the first stint as well as not getting the team orders, I think he'll have managed to get 2nd. He'd then be a fair bit closer to Hamilton in the points. And it is true that we haven't yet managed to see Bottas and Hamilton have a fair fight. If there were no team orders this race, Hamilton may well have really struggled to get past Bottas. So if everybody was saying Bottas was so slow, if Hamilton couldn't get past, they surely that would show that Hamilton isn't that good at overtaking Bottas even when he's driving slowly? He was given 2 free overtakes which I personally found to be a little unfair. If Bottas was a slow as people were saying he was, He should have been dead simple to get past. But he managed to keep Vettel and Hamilton behind him for over 10 laps even with his problems on the first stint. So he can't have been that slow! I know that Hamilton is clearly overall the better driver, but I think Bottas should be given more equal opportunities than he's being given. I still think there will be some race tracks where Bottas will have a better race. Quite possibly Russia as Bottas has always been really strong in qualifying and the races there.

Australia was a straight fight, as was China. Hamilton couldn't overtake Verstappen when he was 2.2 seconds a lap quicker than him in Australia but people somehow think Bottas was stopped from overtaking Hamilton when he had a short period of being 0.3-0.4 quicker than him before Hamilton upped his pace. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:18 pm 

dizlexik wrote:
Prema wrote:
Rockie wrote:
Prema wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
I think it's too early.

I think it was Brazil where Vettel finished ahead of Webber.

Well, there were more races where Vettel finished ahead of Webber. Japan was also 1-2 such a finish. So, designating Vettel as No2 would not mean the lost WDC for the RB. Only these two races would make a difference of 14 points to Webber's tally, and that would be it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:41 pm 

If you played 2010 out 100 times, the logical decision would be to back Webber from Japan or Brazil. I think more times out of a 100 Webber ends up champion than Vettel. It just so happened it worked out for Vettel though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:50 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Blake wrote:

I think that's irrelevant to the OP. While tripping over themselves to ensure Bottas has equal status, Mercedes will watch Vettel waltz to the WDC. That's the point he was making. They must realize that Vettel and not Bottas is the biggest threat to Hamilton winning the title and so by helping Bottas, they help Vettel (and hurt themsleves).

Exactly, which is what a lot of the posters on this forum want so they are hardly going to come out in favour of Merc prioritising their best bet for the WDC.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:55 pm 

lamo wrote:
The most obvious thing yesterday was, you have a car out front that is absolute struggling and holding up 5 other cars. Its obvious that car needs to pit first of the train as soon as any kind of window opens. Bottas should have pitted the same lap or the lap before Vettel.

It was so obvious what was going to happen. The only guy in the world who didn't see it was working in Mercs race strategy control centre.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:57 pm 

Toto isn't going to designate his Merc driver pick as number two driver status after only three races. And neither should he. Hamilton is just one blown engine away from potentially falling behind Val in the points table. And we saw last season how much Hamilton stresses his engines to the point of making them go bang.

Val was unlucky yesterday with car issues, but his stunning pole lap and Hamilton's inability to pass him on the track legitimately proves he's more than a match for bling bling.

Mercedes will not and must not give up on Val after three races. He will come good.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:07 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:
Toto isn't going to designate his Merc driver pick as number two driver status after only three races. And neither should he. Hamilton is just one blown engine away from potentially falling behind Val in the points table. And we saw last season how much Hamilton stresses his engines to the point of making them go bang.

Val was unlucky yesterday with car issues, but his stunning pole lap and Hamilton's inability to pass him on the track legitimately proves he's more than a match for bling bling.

Mercedes will not and must not give up on Val after three races. He will come good.

That's 2 posts I have read of yours today and they are both a joke.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:13 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

Yeah pretty much lost a few seconds of my life reading that drivel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:14 pm 

lamo wrote:
If you played 2010 out 100 times, the logical decision would be to back Webber from Japan or Brazil. I think more times out of a 100 Webber ends up champion than Vettel. It just so happened it worked out for Vettel though.

Well, the logical decision that would take the precedence here would be to back Vettel from Bahrain, the very first race in the season and in which he came well ahead of Webber. If you are already to do such, then you do it as soon as possible in the season and not as last as possible... which also would be a logical decision. And especially in the hindsight of who won the WDC!

Last edited by Prema on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:14 pm 

MasterRacer wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Load of toffee

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:17 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
MasterRacer wrote:

We're never going to agree on Hamilton, but I am sure you must agree it is unlikely Toto will ask Val to drive to maximise the other car's points potential after only three races. A lot can still happen and I'd hate for Mercedes to abandon their core values now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:30 pm 

The funny thing is people on here predicted the Bottas train before the race, so did I. Nothing against Bottas but he doesn't have the race pace of the top two. Maybe over a weekend here or there he can win.

I personally don't want Bottas to be moving over all the time but I just want Mercedes to use abit of common sense, yesterday they hurt their only chance of a race win and it happened to be the faster driver was Hamilton. If Bottas pulled off into the distance it's a different story, there was two Redbulls at the end of train looking quick because Bottas was so slow.

Vettel won't have to worry about Kimi too much which could benefit him but also hurt him when he needs Kimi to take points of Hamilton.

Hamilton has Bottas who he hopes can get on the front row with him enough to stop Vettel.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:45 pm 

Kimi needs to get his act together in at least one of qualifying or the race otherwise Mercedes are just going to tag team Vettel for the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:47 pm 

The hypocrisy is astonishing!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:53 pm 

One thing I am unsure of is, is the wrong tyre pressures "screwed over by the team" or is it a crap driver?
I ask because it seems to swap back and fore depending on who it happens to?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:55 pm 

moby wrote:
One thing I am unsure of is, is the wrong tyre pressures "screwed over by the team" or is it a crap driver?
I ask because it seems to swap back and fore depending on who it happens to?

Acording to Lauda it was due to an equipment failure on the grid. Basically the pump that adjusts the pressures failed.