planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:27 am

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
 Post subject: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 3:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
It may be early to predict the driver line-up for 2018 but the paddock has been brimming with a few rumours.

Next year could be pivotal, especially for Perez & Sainz as there is a good chance of an open seat at Ferrari & Renault (am sure Palmer is going to be ousted).

1 rumour that's been going on in the paddock in Monaco is that Perez is being shortlisted / chosen to replace Raikkonen in 2018. He just deciding to extend his contract for 1 year instead of a multi year deal explains his aspirations too. It all depends if Raikkonen will be retained for another year or not. If the rumour turns out to be true, who would then take Perez's seat? Wehrlein or Nasr? A Force India seat is quite a competitive one not to miss for many.

Sainz's move to Renault was blocked by Red Bull but he could be a good option to replace Palmer at Renault.

Ricciardo also would love to go to Ferrari some day but with Vettel being there, I don't think it would be happening sooner.

And Button does have a contract for 2018 as well!

https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2017/05/monaco-gp-playing-out-amid-moves-on-long-term-ferrari-f1-driver-line-up/

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10784
Ferrari to keep Raikkonen for next year while bringing in Leclerc at another team, promoting him to Ferrari when Raikkonen leaves.

At least that's how I would do it. But for all the talent Leclerc possesses, everybody seems to forget about him.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 pm
Posts: 1778
mds wrote:
Ferrari to keep Raikkonen for next year while bringing in Leclerc at another team, promoting him to Ferrari when Raikkonen leaves.

At least that's how I would do it. But for all the talent Leclerc possesses, everybody seems to forget about him.

Not the Ferrari way. LeClerc will need to prove himself elsewhere before he gets the Ferrari gig.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6752
Leclerc will almost certainly be brought into F1 by Ferrari if they can find a seat for him. With Sauber going to Honda you'd have to say Haas is looking the most likely. I get the feeling he may have to settle for a 3rd driver role like Vandoorne first though.

Just to bring it back to 2017 for a moment it was rumoured that Monaco would be Palmer's last race for Renault, assuming they do look to replace him for Canada who do we think they would be looking at? Call me crazy (I'm thinking it myself) but with Maldonado at the last 2 races in a row and his history with Enstone... is that possible? I feel like I'm going crazy but the pieces sort of fit.

In any case I doubt Palmer will be in the seat next year so do we think Sirotkin has a shot or will they maybe look to Rowland if he performs well this year?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 8:58 am
Posts: 387
Location: Australia
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Leclerc will almost certainly be brought into F1 by Ferrari if they can find a seat for him. With Sauber going to Honda you'd have to say Haas is looking the most likely. I get the feeling he may have to settle for a 3rd driver role like Vandoorne first though.

Just to bring it back to 2017 for a moment it was rumoured that Monaco would be Palmer's last race for Renault, assuming they do look to replace him for Canada who do we think they would be looking at? Call me crazy (I'm thinking it myself) but with Maldonado at the last 2 races in a row and his history with Enstone... is that possible? I feel like I'm going crazy but the pieces sort of fit.

In any case I doubt Palmer will be in the seat next year so do we think Sirotkin has a shot or will they maybe look to Rowland if he performs well this year?
I've read many rumours about that happening on several sites now, you certainly aren't the only seeing the pieces possibly fitting.

_________________
Raikkonen Bottas Ricciardo

Thanks for the memories Nico


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 4:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10784
GingerFurball wrote:
mds wrote:
Ferrari to keep Raikkonen for next year while bringing in Leclerc at another team, promoting him to Ferrari when Raikkonen leaves.

At least that's how I would do it. But for all the talent Leclerc possesses, everybody seems to forget about him.

Not the Ferrari way. LeClerc will need to prove himself elsewhere before he gets the Ferrari gig.


Not to be blunt, but did you actually read my post?

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:07 pm
Posts: 8893
Colesy917 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Leclerc will almost certainly be brought into F1 by Ferrari if they can find a seat for him. With Sauber going to Honda you'd have to say Haas is looking the most likely. I get the feeling he may have to settle for a 3rd driver role like Vandoorne first though.

Just to bring it back to 2017 for a moment it was rumoured that Monaco would be Palmer's last race for Renault, assuming they do look to replace him for Canada who do we think they would be looking at? Call me crazy (I'm thinking it myself) but with Maldonado at the last 2 races in a row and his history with Enstone... is that possible? I feel like I'm going crazy but the pieces sort of fit.

In any case I doubt Palmer will be in the seat next year so do we think Sirotkin has a shot or will they maybe look to Rowland if he performs well this year?
I've read many rumours about that happening on several sites now, you certainly aren't the only seeing the pieces possibly fitting.

Would Alonso do a mid-season swap to Renault? I'm certain he has a performance clause that would release him from McLaren if he wanted to..

_________________
Räikkönen - Vettel - Bottas
Thank you Nico - You´re the champ!

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
Covalent wrote:
Colesy917 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Leclerc will almost certainly be brought into F1 by Ferrari if they can find a seat for him. With Sauber going to Honda you'd have to say Haas is looking the most likely. I get the feeling he may have to settle for a 3rd driver role like Vandoorne first though.

Just to bring it back to 2017 for a moment it was rumoured that Monaco would be Palmer's last race for Renault, assuming they do look to replace him for Canada who do we think they would be looking at? Call me crazy (I'm thinking it myself) but with Maldonado at the last 2 races in a row and his history with Enstone... is that possible? I feel like I'm going crazy but the pieces sort of fit.

In any case I doubt Palmer will be in the seat next year so do we think Sirotkin has a shot or will they maybe look to Rowland if he performs well this year?
I've read many rumours about that happening on several sites now, you certainly aren't the only seeing the pieces possibly fitting.

Would Alonso do a mid-season swap to Renault? I'm certain he has a performance clause that would release him from McLaren if he wanted to..


If not mid season, then next season he's bound to go there.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 pm
Posts: 1778
mds wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
mds wrote:
Ferrari to keep Raikkonen for next year while bringing in Leclerc at another team, promoting him to Ferrari when Raikkonen leaves.

At least that's how I would do it. But for all the talent Leclerc possesses, everybody seems to forget about him.

Not the Ferrari way. LeClerc will need to prove himself elsewhere before he gets the Ferrari gig.


Not to be blunt, but did you actually read my post?

Yes. Raikkonen won't be a Ferrari driver in 3 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 21002
UnlikeUday wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Colesy917 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Leclerc will almost certainly be brought into F1 by Ferrari if they can find a seat for him. With Sauber going to Honda you'd have to say Haas is looking the most likely. I get the feeling he may have to settle for a 3rd driver role like Vandoorne first though.
Except I read an article recently where Prost said Renault wouldn't be contending for wins for at least a couple of years, so m not convinced Alonso would want to exchange one development path for another
Just to bring it back to 2017 for a moment it was rumoured that Monaco would be Palmer's last race for Renault, assuming they do look to replace him for Canada who do we think they would be looking at? Call me crazy (I'm thinking it myself) but with Maldonado at the last 2 races in a row and his history with Enstone... is that possible? I feel like I'm going crazy but the pieces sort of fit.

In any case I doubt Palmer will be in the seat next year so do we think Sirotkin has a shot or will they maybe look to Rowland if he performs well this year?
I've read many rumours about that happening on several sites now, you certainly aren't the only seeing the pieces possibly fitting.

Would Alonso do a mid-season swap to Renault? I'm certain he has a performance clause that would release him from McLaren if he wanted to..


If not mid season, then next season he's bound to go there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 am
Posts: 10784
GingerFurball wrote:
mds wrote:
GingerFurball wrote:
mds wrote:
Ferrari to keep Raikkonen for next year while bringing in Leclerc at another team, promoting him to Ferrari when Raikkonen leaves.

At least that's how I would do it. But for all the talent Leclerc possesses, everybody seems to forget about him.

Not the Ferrari way. LeClerc will need to prove himself elsewhere before he gets the Ferrari gig.


Not to be blunt, but did you actually read my post?

Yes. Raikkonen won't be a Ferrari driver in 3 years.


Who said anything about 3 years?

Now, at his current performance level I can see Ferrari holding on to Raikkonen for 2018 and possibly even beyond.

_________________
Go Vandoorne - Verstappen - Vettel!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
As per the article below, Renault is trying hard to get Perez onboard for 2018. They even wish to poach him to replace Palmer but this will never happen.
http://en.f1i.com/news/269640-renault-closing-sergio-perez.html

There was a rumour going about in Monaco that Ferrari will probably sign Perez for Kimi's replacement. Perez too would prefer Ferrari over Renault anyday.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:08 am
Posts: 160
Zoue wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Colesy917 wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Leclerc will almost certainly be brought into F1 by Ferrari if they can find a seat for him. With Sauber going to Honda you'd have to say Haas is looking the most likely. I get the feeling he may have to settle for a 3rd driver role like Vandoorne first though.
Except I read an article recently where Prost said Renault wouldn't be contending for wins for at least a couple of years, so m not convinced Alonso would want to exchange one development path for another
Just to bring it back to 2017 for a moment it was rumoured that Monaco would be Palmer's last race for Renault, assuming they do look to replace him for Canada who do we think they would be looking at? Call me crazy (I'm thinking it myself) but with Maldonado at the last 2 races in a row and his history with Enstone... is that possible? I feel like I'm going crazy but the pieces sort of fit.

In any case I doubt Palmer will be in the seat next year so do we think Sirotkin has a shot or will they maybe look to Rowland if he performs well this year?
I've read many rumours about that happening on several sites now, you certainly aren't the only seeing the pieces possibly fitting.

Would Alonso do a mid-season swap to Renault? I'm certain he has a performance clause that would release him from McLaren if he wanted to..


If not mid season, then next season he's bound to go there.


Very intriguing re: PALMER. Any links to the sites??

Why would they not just put Sirotkin in the seat, instead of bringing in Maldonado to do half a season?

What's the bet McLaren turn it around as soon if ALONSO leaves x(

_________________
1996 and Onwards
Ricciardo .:. Massa .:. Alonso .:. Sainz .:. Ocon


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 14, 2015 8:58 am
Posts: 387
Location: Australia
Covalent wrote:
Would Alonso do a mid-season swap to Renault? I'm certain he has a performance clause that would release him from McLaren if he wanted to..
I bet Hulkenberg would oppose that if he has a vote :]. Certainly seems a possibility but I would guess they would use someone more like Maldonaldo/Sirotken for the rest of year to see how the car develops under Hulk then decide if its worth spending huge money on Alonso? My guess at this stage is that they could be 4th best by the start of next year.

_________________
Raikkonen Bottas Ricciardo

Thanks for the memories Nico


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6752
DirtyMike wrote:
Very intriguing re: PALMER. Any links to the sites??

First one I found: http://en.f1i.com/news/269112-monaco-pa ... nault.html

Ted Kravitz on Sky also mentioned the rumours going around the pit lane during one of his notebook episodes on the weekend.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
DirtyMike wrote:
Very intriguing re: PALMER. Any links to the sites??

First one I found: http://en.f1i.com/news/269112-monaco-pa ... nault.html

Ted Kravitz on Sky also mentioned the rumours going around the pit lane during one of his notebook episodes on the weekend.


I had read this article. Question is - who's the best fit?

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 5051
Can someone enlighten me about Button from the OP? Or is it just his McLaren contract he's in atm?

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
minchy wrote:
Can someone enlighten me about Button from the OP? Or is it just his McLaren contract he's in atm?


What I meant was he has an option to return to racing at McLaren in 2018. I doubt if he'll return though.

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/f1-grand-prix/one-f1-comeback-is-enough-for-button-9425644

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:59 pm
Posts: 5051
UnlikeUday wrote:
minchy wrote:
Can someone enlighten me about Button from the OP? Or is it just his McLaren contract he's in atm?


What I meant was he has an option to return to racing at McLaren in 2018. I doubt if he'll return though.

http://www.iol.co.za/motoring/f1-grand-prix/one-f1-comeback-is-enough-for-button-9425644

Ah ok, thanks. Yeah I knew he had that, just thought he'd signed a new contract from his mention in the OP.

_________________
There is no theory of evolution, just a list of animals that Chuck Norris allows to live.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23901
GingerFurball wrote:
mds wrote:
Ferrari to keep Raikkonen for next year while bringing in Leclerc at another team, promoting him to Ferrari when Raikkonen leaves.

At least that's how I would do it. But for all the talent Leclerc possesses, everybody seems to forget about him.

Not the Ferrari way. LeClerc will need to prove himself elsewhere before he gets the Ferrari gig.

It's hard to see were Leclerc might get placed for next season, Haas would seem the most obvious but KMag is under contract and it seems unlikely that they would drop Grosjean.

The other most viable team would be Sauber but Ericsson looks solid there with his backers owning the team and Wehrlein is doing well within the team and has his own backing from Mercedes plus they will no longer have Ferrari engines which would have favoured Leclerc.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23901
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Leclerc will almost certainly be brought into F1 by Ferrari if they can find a seat for him. With Sauber going to Honda you'd have to say Haas is looking the most likely. I get the feeling he may have to settle for a 3rd driver role like Vandoorne first though.

Just to bring it back to 2017 for a moment it was rumoured that Monaco would be Palmer's last race for Renault, assuming they do look to replace him for Canada who do we think they would be looking at? Call me crazy (I'm thinking it myself) but with Maldonado at the last 2 races in a row and his history with Enstone... is that possible? I feel like I'm going crazy but the pieces sort of fit.

In any case I doubt Palmer will be in the seat next year so do we think Sirotkin has a shot or will they maybe look to Rowland if he performs well this year?

I think the most likely driver to replace him would be Sirotkin plus I believe he would bring some money as well.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 10:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 23901
DirtyMike wrote:
Zoue wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Colesy917 wrote:
Would Alonso do a mid-season swap to Renault? I'm certain he has a performance clause that would release him from McLaren if he wanted to..


If not mid season, then next season he's bound to go there.


Very intriguing re: PALMER. Any links to the sites??

Why would they not just put Sirotkin in the seat, instead of bringing in Maldonado to do half a season?

What's the bet McLaren turn it around as soon if ALONSO leaves x(

Sirotkin is the reserve driver and probably would bring money as well.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place

Wins: Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: 2nd Canada 2015, 3rd Monza 2016, Hungary 2016 and Barcelona 2015


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Leclerc will almost certainly be brought into F1 by Ferrari if they can find a seat for him. With Sauber going to Honda you'd have to say Haas is looking the most likely. I get the feeling he may have to settle for a 3rd driver role like Vandoorne first though.

Just to bring it back to 2017 for a moment it was rumoured that Monaco would be Palmer's last race for Renault, assuming they do look to replace him for Canada who do we think they would be looking at? Call me crazy (I'm thinking it myself) but with Maldonado at the last 2 races in a row and his history with Enstone... is that possible? I feel like I'm going crazy but the pieces sort of fit.

In any case I doubt Palmer will be in the seat next year so do we think Sirotkin has a shot or will they maybe look to Rowland if he performs well this year?

I think the most likely driver to replace him would be Sirotkin plus I believe he would bring some money as well.


Abiteboul has stated indirectly Palmer's seat is not secure:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36555.html

Has Sirotkin shown signs that he'll be faster than Palmer?

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:15 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 12378
It strikes me with a number of drivers not expected to go beyond this year they maybe quite a few rookies next season.

I am also going to put something out there... Grosjean to Force India as Perez replacement.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 11:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
mikeyg123 wrote:
It strikes me with a number of drivers not expected to go beyond this year they maybe quite a few rookies next season.

I am also going to put something out there... Grosjean to Force India as Perez replacement.


Good guess for Grosjean.

Perez going to Ferrari?

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:48 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 6752
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Leclerc will almost certainly be brought into F1 by Ferrari if they can find a seat for him. With Sauber going to Honda you'd have to say Haas is looking the most likely. I get the feeling he may have to settle for a 3rd driver role like Vandoorne first though.

Just to bring it back to 2017 for a moment it was rumoured that Monaco would be Palmer's last race for Renault, assuming they do look to replace him for Canada who do we think they would be looking at? Call me crazy (I'm thinking it myself) but with Maldonado at the last 2 races in a row and his history with Enstone... is that possible? I feel like I'm going crazy but the pieces sort of fit.

In any case I doubt Palmer will be in the seat next year so do we think Sirotkin has a shot or will they maybe look to Rowland if he performs well this year?

I think the most likely driver to replace him would be Sirotkin plus I believe he would bring some money as well.


Abiteboul has stated indirectly Palmer's seat is not secure:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36555.html

Has Sirotkin shown signs that he'll be faster than Palmer?

He was more impressive in GP2, whether that will translate to F1 and how long it would take him to get up to speed are the other things to consider. In terms of who has the most raw talent I'd put money Sirotkin.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Leclerc will almost certainly be brought into F1 by Ferrari if they can find a seat for him. With Sauber going to Honda you'd have to say Haas is looking the most likely. I get the feeling he may have to settle for a 3rd driver role like Vandoorne first though.

Just to bring it back to 2017 for a moment it was rumoured that Monaco would be Palmer's last race for Renault, assuming they do look to replace him for Canada who do we think they would be looking at? Call me crazy (I'm thinking it myself) but with Maldonado at the last 2 races in a row and his history with Enstone... is that possible? I feel like I'm going crazy but the pieces sort of fit.

In any case I doubt Palmer will be in the seat next year so do we think Sirotkin has a shot or will they maybe look to Rowland if he performs well this year?

I think the most likely driver to replace him would be Sirotkin plus I believe he would bring some money as well.


Abiteboul has stated indirectly Palmer's seat is not secure:
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36555.html

Has Sirotkin shown signs that he'll be faster than Palmer?

He was more impressive in GP2, whether that will translate to F1 and how long it would take him to get up to speed are the other things to consider. In terms of who has the most raw talent I'd put money Sirotkin.


True. Palmer has blown his chance to make a career in F1. It's good to see young talent enter into F1.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 12:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1737
Mercedes: Hamilton/Alonso
Ferrari: Vettel/Perez
Red Bull: Ricciardo/Verstappen
Force India: Ocon/Wehrlein
Williams: Bottas/Di Resta
Toro Rosso: Sainz/Gasly
Renault: Hulkenberg/Maldonado
McLaren: Vandoorne/Norris
Haas: Grosjean/Magnussen
Sauber: Ericsson/Giovinazzi

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
Alonso feels that he has a chance for a seat with every competitive team except Red Bull. I'm assuming he's ok (or the teams such as Mercedes or Ferrari) to join. Am sure he only expects to join Mercedes or Ferrari (maybe Renault) as he wants to win & fight for the titles.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36554.html

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:29 am
Posts: 1737
UnlikeUday wrote:
Alonso feels that he has a chance for a seat with every competitive team except Red Bull. I'm assuming he's ok (or the teams such as Mercedes or Ferrari) to join. Am sure he only expects to join Mercedes or Ferrari (maybe Renault) as he wants to win & fight for the titles.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36554.html

I don't want to see Alonso in a McHonda next year. It's a waste of a talent that doesn't have many years left.

Granted, a lot of people put the blame firmly at Alonso's door (me included) for his career decisions but how good would it be for the sport (and Liberty for that matter - after all they want bums on seats) if we had a proper title fight between Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Ricciardo and Verstappen?

_________________
#KeepFightingMichael


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
MistaVega23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Alonso feels that he has a chance for a seat with every competitive team except Red Bull. I'm assuming he's ok (or the teams such as Mercedes or Ferrari) to join. Am sure he only expects to join Mercedes or Ferrari (maybe Renault) as he wants to win & fight for the titles.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36554.html

I don't want to see Alonso in a McHonda next year. It's a waste of a talent that doesn't have many years left.

Granted, a lot of people put the blame firmly at Alonso's door (me included) for his career decisions but how good would it be for the sport (and Liberty for that matter - after all they want bums on seats) if we had a proper title fight between Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Ricciardo and Verstappen?


I have a grand feeling Alonso will be fighting for wins. Ofcourse it means he's ditching McLaren for good.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 21002
MistaVega23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Alonso feels that he has a chance for a seat with every competitive team except Red Bull. I'm assuming he's ok (or the teams such as Mercedes or Ferrari) to join. Am sure he only expects to join Mercedes or Ferrari (maybe Renault) as he wants to win & fight for the titles.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36554.html

I don't want to see Alonso in a McHonda next year. It's a waste of a talent that doesn't have many years left.

Granted, a lot of people put the blame firmly at Alonso's door (me included) for his career decisions but how good would it be for the sport (and Liberty for that matter - after all they want bums on seats) if we had a proper title fight between Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Ricciardo and Verstappen?

As good as it would be for the sport were McLaren to get back to the front, probably. Alonso fighting for the title in a McHonda would be F1's equivalent of rags to riches.

I read a report recently where Prost stated that Renault wouldn''t be winning anything for at least the next two years and that, as much as he would love to have Alonso in the team, . I can't see Alonso wanting to join another team in a development phase at this stage of his career. Which leaves Mercedes or Ferrari. And I just don't see either as a realistic possibility


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 3:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 5218
Location: Mumbai, India
Zoue wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Alonso feels that he has a chance for a seat with every competitive team except Red Bull. I'm assuming he's ok (or the teams such as Mercedes or Ferrari) to join. Am sure he only expects to join Mercedes or Ferrari (maybe Renault) as he wants to win & fight for the titles.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36554.html

I don't want to see Alonso in a McHonda next year. It's a waste of a talent that doesn't have many years left.

Granted, a lot of people put the blame firmly at Alonso's door (me included) for his career decisions but how good would it be for the sport (and Liberty for that matter - after all they want bums on seats) if we had a proper title fight between Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Ricciardo and Verstappen?

As good as it would be for the sport were McLaren to get back to the front, probably. Alonso fighting for the title in a McHonda would be F1's equivalent of rags to riches.

I read a report recently where Prost stated that Renault wouldn''t be winning anything for at least the next two years and that, as much as he would love to have Alonso in the team, . I can't see Alonso wanting to join another team in a development phase at this stage of his career. Which leaves Mercedes or Ferrari. And I just don't see either as a realistic possibility


I hope it's not a dead end where it would force him to retire!

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:20 pm
Posts: 1778
I think it's almost certain he'll leave McLaren.

The only real reason to stay there is to get the opportunity to take part in Indy 500.

That was Honda's chance to power him to a win and show that they can actually build decent engines - it blew up instead.

If I were him I'd want to be nowhere near Honda.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:38 pm
Posts: 1583
Location: Miami, Florida
OK for those of you Whom do not know… Andretti and Alonso met with Honda to discuss what they wanted from their (Alonso's) engine as a team for the 500.
Honda said we can go the more reliable way and be a touch down on power to a few guys in the field and rely on superior driving, OR… we can give you more power but risk reliability. After being given all the pertinent information, THE ENTIRE TEAM opted for more power.

There were other mechanical failures that were not Hondas, and plenty of Honda's finished the 500, not to mention the winner.

I think Fernando will leave McLaren at the end of the season for sure, BUT I wouldn't be at all surprised if he parts ways with the team mid way through the season.
No sense in going around doing laps without even a shot in the dark of accomplishing much of anything. He already knows every circuit like the back of his hand so he's not gaining anything by being out there. The entire organization simply isn't up to par ATM and it's anyone's guess if and when they will turn it around, and with rumors flying about regarding a discontent and disconnect between McLaren and Honda, the whole thing is very up in the air for any driver of Alonso's pedigree to want to stick around.

_________________
HAMILTON :: VETTEL :: ROSBERG :: RAIKKONEN :: VERSTAPPEN :: SAINZ :: MASSA :: BOTTAS :: NASR
ALONSO :: BUTTON :: PEREZ :: RICCIARDO :: GROSJEAN :: KVYAT :: HULKENBERG :: MALDONADO
THE REST… THERE ARE FAR BETTER DRIVERS THAT SHOULD BE IN FORMULA 1


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 1618
Zoue wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Alonso feels that he has a chance for a seat with every competitive team except Red Bull. I'm assuming he's ok (or the teams such as Mercedes or Ferrari) to join. Am sure he only expects to join Mercedes or Ferrari (maybe Renault) as he wants to win & fight for the titles.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36554.html

I don't want to see Alonso in a McHonda next year. It's a waste of a talent that doesn't have many years left.

Granted, a lot of people put the blame firmly at Alonso's door (me included) for his career decisions but how good would it be for the sport (and Liberty for that matter - after all they want bums on seats) if we had a proper title fight between Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Ricciardo and Verstappen?

As good as it would be for the sport were McLaren to get back to the front, probably. Alonso fighting for the title in a McHonda would be F1's equivalent of rags to riches.

I read a report recently where Prost stated that Renault wouldn''t be winning anything for at least the next two years and that, as much as he would love to have Alonso in the team, . I can't see Alonso wanting to join another team in a development phase at this stage of his career. Which leaves Mercedes or Ferrari. And I just don't see either as a realistic possibility


Alonso winning at McLaren simply is NOT going to happen. It's not even remotely realistic to expect that. So he would be in a much better shape teaming up even with Renault. At least they are not as hapless as Honda.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:04 pm
Posts: 1618
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
I think Fernando will leave McLaren at the end of the season for sure, BUT I wouldn't be at all surprised if he parts ways with the team mid way through the season.
No sense in going around doing laps without even a shot in the dark of accomplishing much of anything. He already knows every circuit like the back of his hand so he's not gaining anything by being out there. The entire organization simply isn't up to par ATM and it's anyone's guess if and when they will turn it around, and with rumors flying about regarding a discontent and disconnect between McLaren and Honda, the whole thing is very up in the air for any driver of Alonso's pedigree to want to stick around.


Agree completely. Let Button come back and putz around in the back of the grid. Alonso is one of the finest drivers in recent times and it's a criminal waste to see him with McLaren Honda. He needs to move on.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 9:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7798
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Zoue wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Alonso feels that he has a chance for a seat with every competitive team except Red Bull. I'm assuming he's ok (or the teams such as Mercedes or Ferrari) to join. Am sure he only expects to join Mercedes or Ferrari (maybe Renault) as he wants to win & fight for the titles.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns36554.html

I don't want to see Alonso in a McHonda next year. It's a waste of a talent that doesn't have many years left.

Granted, a lot of people put the blame firmly at Alonso's door (me included) for his career decisions but how good would it be for the sport (and Liberty for that matter - after all they want bums on seats) if we had a proper title fight between Vettel, Hamilton, Alonso, Ricciardo and Verstappen?

As good as it would be for the sport were McLaren to get back to the front, probably. Alonso fighting for the title in a McHonda would be F1's equivalent of rags to riches.

I read a report recently where Prost stated that Renault wouldn''t be winning anything for at least the next two years and that, as much as he would love to have Alonso in the team, . I can't see Alonso wanting to join another team in a development phase at this stage of his career. Which leaves Mercedes or Ferrari. And I just don't see either as a realistic possibility


Alonso winning at McLaren simply is NOT going to happen. It's not even remotely realistic to expect that. So he would be in a much better shape teaming up even with Renault. At least they are not as hapless as Honda.


Renault have more or less said they don't want him.
They put it as the cost of bringing him in would not be worth the returns, but there must be at least a small element of not wanting him slagging them off because he does not have the fastest car out there.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 12:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 4551
Location: Michigan, USA
moby wrote:
Renault have more or less said they don't want him.
They put it as the cost of bringing him in would not be worth the returns, but there must be at least a small element of not wanting him slagging them off because he does not have the fastest car out there.

Who said that? I'd be interested in reading it.

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (3 wins, 12 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Silly season 2018
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 7798
Exediron wrote:
moby wrote:
Renault have more or less said they don't want him.
They put it as the cost of bringing him in would not be worth the returns, but there must be at least a small element of not wanting him slagging them off because he does not have the fastest car out there.

Who said that? I'd be interested in reading it.



I can not find the actual article I read, but these from PF1 are more or less the same.

http://www.planetf1.com/news/abiteboul-cool-on-alonsos-renault-rumours/

(Abiteboul)
"I don't think next year we will be in a position to fight for the championship. So we need a driver who can support us in this ultimate fight for the championship, but be prepared to wait for the time to come for this to happen."

and http://www.planetf1.com/news/now-renault-shut-the-door-on-alonso/

Renault advisor Alain Prost told Sky Sports News HQ. “I don’t think we can offer him a car to be World Champion next year....We have to be really careful about that. We want to progress but we cannot have stupid objectives only because Fernando would be there.”



But while Renault are the favourites to sign Alonso for next season, Prost has poured cold water on the speculation with the admission that the team, still finding their feet after returning to the status of fully-fledged works outfit barely a year ago, will not yet be able to give the Spaniard what he craves in the foreseeable future

Sky f1


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blake, Google Adsense [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group