Total votes : 183
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:44 pm 

For me,

Vettel, Alonso.

Special mention to Hulk & Di Resta.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:47 pm 

Vettel, Raikkonen, Hamilton.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:49 pm 

Vettel was 'allowed' to keep his spot - and if Hamilton had managed to get Kimi - he'd have won I suspect - so brinksmanship from Ferrari - but if it had been Kimi ahead, the team would have told him to give way.

Alonso clearly the best drive of the day given the car he had - and Di Resta - an honourable mention as a good job with no car running till qualifying

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:49 pm 

Alonso and Kimi.

Hard to pick a 3rd person - Lewis had a good race, as did the Force India guys - Verstappen was super quick but Lap 1 was dumb and cost him the win

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:57 pm 

I choose Hamilton this time for being the real gentleman. He really didn't need to give his podium back to Bottas as he's the team's lead driver. But he did. He's also very quick, I don't know who's faster between him and Raikkonen at the second stint when Vettel got the steering problem, but surely he and Raikkonen are the two fastest.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:05 pm 

Clearly Alonso

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:06 pm 

Alonso and Hamilton.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:07 pm 

Alonso - great result, the only real on-track overtaking of the whole race (at least from what TV broadcast showed), fastest lap

Sainz looked mightily better than his teammate as well.

Ferrari dominant - Vettel's technical problems making it close and TO / supersubmissive Räikkönen plus track charcteristics saved his victory

Disappointing:
Verstappen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:08 pm 

ferdinand wrote:
I choose Hamilton this time for being the real gentleman. He really didn't need to give his podium back to Bottas as he's the team's lead driver. But he did. He's also very quick, I don't know who's faster between him and Raikkonen at the second stint when Vettel got the steering problem, but surely he and Raikkonen are the two fastest.

As in being no. 1 driver in the team or being the top Mercedes driver in the points table?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:12 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
ferdinand wrote:

As in being no. 1 driver in the team or being the top Mercedes driver in the points table?

As the one who has more points in the standings of course, their point difference is almost one win vs one DNF actually. Besides, Hamilton is quicker today.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:12 pm 

Alonso, Sainz for brilliant drives and also Hamilton for a solid drive and great sportsmanship at the end there.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:20 pm 

Vettel - Hanging on for such a long time with technical issues.
Kimi - Probably the fastest all race. I think would have won at a track where it is even marginally more possible to overtake or with more potential for aggression.
Alonso - Alonso.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:27 pm 

It would have been Alonso had Vettel not had car issues, and as it stand I`d go for...

Vettel - under constant pressure due to the screwed up steering wheel which affected his pace, he still never set a foot wrong and conducted a flawless race.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:37 pm 

Vettel for keeping calm and manage the issue without putting foot wrong.

Bottas for letting Hamilton past. A seasoned driver wouldnt have done that when he was in championship.

Hamilton for playing fair and give back the place. He couldnt really make any impression on Ferraris in the end, but fair play to him.

Alonso...........Because that epic :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:47 pm 

2017 F1 driver standings

Carlos Sainz 35 pts
Daniil Kvyat 4 pts

But of course nobody cares about the spanish guy.. Let's vote for the usual suspects.
So Sainz for me.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:48 pm 

Vettel for nursing that car. Easily driver of the day.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:53 pm 

I think you could nominate several drivers for the Driver of the Day.... Alonso for his finish (the Fastest lap doesn't have much meaning to me), Lewis for doing what was right in addition to driving well, Kimi for a fine drive and doing his job, and Vettel for winning despite his mechanical troubles and somehow not destroying his tires given the steering issue.

I can't argue with someone choosing any of the above. Personally, I went with Vettel.... and two others.
;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:59 pm 

Pullrod wrote:
2017 F1 driver standings

Carlos Sainz 35 pts
Daniil Kvyat 4 pts

But of course nobody cares about the spanish guy.. Let's vote for the usual suspects.
So Sainz for me.

Sainz delibrately drove the other Spanish guy off the track in the early stages off the race. In my view that poor would driving disqualifies him from any discussion about DOTD.

This driving off the track is becoming ridiculous. Bottas did it to Verstappen, Sainz did it to Alonso and Magnussen did it to Hulkenberg.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:08 pm 

Pullrod wrote:
2017 F1 driver standings

Carlos Sainz 35 pts
Daniil Kvyat 4 pts

So Sainz for me.

What does his nationality have to do with anything? Come to think of it, what do the WDC standings have to do with Driver of the Day?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:20 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
This driving off the track is becoming ridiculous. Bottas did it to Verstappen, Sainz did it to Alonso and Magnussen did it to Hulkenberg.

It is becoming a pattern that running somebody off the track is entirely permissible while making mistakes is a lottery in terms of penalties.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:27 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
2017 F1 driver standings

Carlos Sainz 35 pts
Daniil Kvyat 4 pts

So Sainz for me.

Sainz delibrately drove the other Spanish guy off the track in the early stages off the race. In my view that poor would driving disqualifies him from any discussion about DOTD.

This same guy who was playing bumper cars in Austin last year but was highly rated after the race?
All I see are double standards.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:27 pm 

Pullrod wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
Pullrod wrote:
2017 F1 driver standings

Carlos Sainz 35 pts
Daniil Kvyat 4 pts

So Sainz for me.

This same guy who was playing bumper cars in Austin last year but was highly rated after the race?
All I see are double standards.

I don't recall Alonso driving anyone off the track in Austin last year? If it happened then it shouldn't have done. Sainz isn't the only driver to ever do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:34 pm 

Vettel and Alonso.
Idiot driver of the day: Max

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:25 pm 

Alonso, Kimi and Vettel. Alonso was the benchmark today. Kimi would have won if it was anyone other than Vettel struggling at the front. Vettel for driving well under pressure.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:29 pm 

Mr-E wrote:
Vettel and Alonso.

That's unfair. Max was racing hard and certainly didn't do much wrong. Racing incident for me. Not a lot different to Bottas in Baku.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:57 pm 

Laz_T800 wrote:
Mr-E wrote:
Vettel and Alonso.

That's unfair. Max was racing hard and certainly didn't do much wrong. Racing incident for me. Not a lot different to Bottas in Baku.

Didn't do much wrong? He made a mistake that cost his team mate the race, him a podium and his team good points. At the very first lap. After just in a meeting with the team having agreed that the golden nr 1 rule is not making contact with your team mate in corner 1 and 2.
I understand he is a racer and a fantastic talent, but he needs to think one step further in some cases. I respect him for owning up to it though and apologizing.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:43 pm 

I saw three drivers who did not put a foot wrong, and thus drivers like Bottas and Hamilton did not qualify for driver of the day. Hamilton got out-raced by Ricciardo and Verstappen at the start, he stumbled out of the blocks. And when Bottas gave up position to Hamilton, for the next few laps he completely lost the plot, and time.

So that leaves Vettel and Raikkonen, they were stellar today.

But Alonso was definitely driver of the day, fighting hard and once again proving he belongs on the list of "best driver".

Gauged as a driver Hamilton could have had a better race. But unquestionably, he rightly earned the "Gentleman of the Day" with great honor, dignity, and a standing applause.

Driver of the day, Alonso.

Man of the day, Hamilton.

And sitting in the shame corner, facing the wall with his dunce cap and holding the "Dumbass" trophy was the Blunderkid Verstappen.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:22 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
Vettel for nursing that car. Easily driver of the day.

I'm stunned at how little credit Vettel seems to be getting for dominating the weekend while also very visibly nursing a serious car issue for most of the race.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:52 pm 

Sevenfest wrote:
Alonso and Kimi.

Hard to pick a 3rd person - Lewis had a good race, as did the Force India guys - Verstappen was super quick but Lap 1 was dumb and cost him the win

This pretty much sums it up for me, as well. I picked Lewis for #3 - his pace in the middle was mighty.

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:21 am 

Exediron wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:
Alonso and Kimi.

This pretty much sums it up for me, as well. I picked Lewis for #3 - his pace in the middle was mighty.

If your selection was based in who had the strongest pace in the middle of the race, then Verstappen must be considered.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:56 am 

Kimi and Alonso stood out the most to me, so I chose not to vote for a third this time.

Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 5 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:01 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Sevenfest wrote:
Alonso and Kimi.

If your selection was based in who had the strongest pace in the middle of the race, then Verstappen must be considered.

He was indeed considered, as in the post I quoted. I discounted him for the same reason.

Sevenfest wrote:
Verstappen was super quick but Lap 1 was dumb and cost him the win

PF1 Top Three Constructor's Championship
2015 (No Limit Excedrin Racing): CHAMPIONS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:34 am 

I'm split between Vettel and Alonso

Vettel had his mechanical issue and managed the pace effectively throughout, making his win that much more impressive. But he also had his teammate as a buffer from any challenges coming from behind, Kimi was never going to stick one down the inside

Alonso was at his very best again today - best possible result, that overtake on Sainz and a fastest lap for fun. I think the Sainz overtake seals the vote for me

Honourable mention to Kimi for fulfilling the ideal buffer role and to Perez for turning his weekend around

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:41 pm 

Hamilton.

A slightly odd choice in so much as his race itself was nothing spectacular with him being unable, perhaps understandably given the nature of the circuit and latest generation of cars, to make any impact ahead of him. However, his honourable intentions as regards to maintaining track position for the benefit of the team, whilst at his own personal expense, was a very rare sight indeed and one that should be commended.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:35 am 

Michael Brierley wrote:
Hamilton.

A slightly odd choice in so much as his race itself was nothing spectacular with him being unable, perhaps understandably given the nature of the circuit and latest generation of cars, to make any impact ahead of him. However, his honourable intentions as regards to maintaining track position for the benefit of the team, whilst at his own personal expense, was a very rare sight indeed and one that should be commended.

You must be kidding right? As soon the radio got back he asked to be let through, team told him to give the place back, not " his honourable intentions " : )

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:01 pm 

The team did indeed give Hamilton a number of laps to make the pass, prior to them being switched again.

It is also true that Hamilton made little impact on Raikkonen ahead but the amount of pace he appeared to show, in comparison with Bottas, did briefly put Ferrari under threat. The impending arrival of Verstappen didn’t exactly help matters either and had the potential to expose him to even more trouble from behind.

It is of course entirely right that Hamilton should follow team orders and give the place back but for a title contender, given the above, to do so and not make a big fuss about it says a great deal.

If this situation, in a similar scenario, has ever occurred in the past then it must be a rare event and even rarer for one to comply. It is only the issue of whether or not Bottas is also a true title contender, something that isn’t clear cut, which has made it into a intriguing little sideline.

This is what was honourable about the matter.