17. Nico Hulkenberg 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
18. Jolyon Palmer 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
19. Marcus Ericsson 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
20. Pascal Wehrein 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 190
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:25 pm 

mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I guess they rule that it's safe enough for cars to be passing one another after the race has finished.

Exactly, so why slam Vettel for something so trivial and ubiquitous as a driver passing another driver at slow speeds on a cooldown lap?

I just consider there was an element of risk of doing it in a corner when the other driver might not feel the need to be using his mirrors, and why is the need to do this anyway, what's the rush?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 8th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (5)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:34 pm 

pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
pokerman wrote:
I guess they rule that it's safe enough for cars to be passing one another after the race has finished.

Exactly, so why slam Vettel for something so trivial and ubiquitous as a driver passing another driver at slow speeds on a cooldown lap?

I just consider there was an element of risk of doing it in a corner when the other driver might not feel the need to be using his mirrors, and why is the need to do this anyway, what's the rush?

He wasn't rushing! They had different speeds so he drove by, it happens all the time, on straights and in corners! Only today this is being questioned because a rookie didn't watch his mirrors.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:19 pm 

x( x(
mds wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Yep, Vettel did exactly what was expected. Hardly exceptional and in some places, very very average. Whining about Bottas post race was embarrassing.

I don't think anyone really expected him to end up in fourth in front of Bottas. He had a clean race, he was up in thirteenth after just one lap, his pace was exceptional given the fact he had to manage an overtaking race from the back.

This must proves some will go to great lengths go dismiss drivers they don't line. Let's be honest here, if Hamilton had done this you'd be adding it to your reasons why Hamilton is the best on the grid.

The Ferrari did have the fastest race pace in practice and the majority of us who posted on the where will he finish thread thought he would take one of the top guys too and be better than 6th, I plumped for Bottas* as he was so out of sorts. Still his first few laps today were tremendously effective and more tidier and precise than his previous come from behind charges and he was my second choice as DoD after Verstappen with Ricciardo third. I wouldn't have backed Kimi to take Bottas if he had started from the back so we took his racing ability into account too.

mas wrote:
I think he will take Bottas to get 5th if the top four also finish and there is no rain.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:19 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
mds wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
Yep, Vettel did exactly what was expected. Hardly exceptional and in some places, very very average. Whining about Bottas post race was embarrassing.

I don't think anyone really expected him to end up in fourth in front of Bottas. He had a clean race, he was up in thirteenth after just one lap, his pace was exceptional given the fact he had to manage an overtaking race from the back.

This must proves some will go to great lengths go dismiss drivers they don't line. Let's be honest here, if Hamilton had done this you'd be adding it to your reasons why Hamilton is the best on the grid.

40% of the forum expected him to be 4th according to the poll on this very subject pre race. Had Hamilton been in that position with the same car advantage, i'd have been expecting the 2nd place that Vettel would have had, if he had dealt with Alonso and Bottas that he should have done. I'll give him some leeway with Ricciardo, cos it sounds like by the time he got to him, his engine was running very hot and the tyres were probably on the way out, but that would have been much less of a factor had he not lost time behind Alonso and Bottas. If he gets Dan earlier, Lewis is there for the taking, especially at the rate he was catching him.

:thumbup:

Vettel achieved what most expected. Still a good drive, but the vast superiority of his car contributed the major part.

Great performance of Ferrari speedwise.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:34 pm 

Toto Wolf, in his post race analysis, was despondent at how slow the Mercedes cars were during the race. He said Hamilton's pace was good enough for only 6th place. 6th place! Hamilton drove the wheels off his Mercedes to keep RIC behind him and managed a 2nd place finish. Yet it is Vettel, who drove through a field of 2nd rate cars, radically slower than his, who has heaps of praise lavished all over him.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:03 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Toto Wolf, in his post race analysis, was despondent at how slow the Mercedes cars were during the race. He said Hamilton's pace was good enough for only 6th place. 6th place! Hamilton drove the wheels off his Mercedes to keep RIC behind him and managed a 2nd place finish. Yet it is Vettel, who drove through a field of 2nd rate cars, radically slower than his, who has heaps of praise lavished all over him.

He must have meant 5th place, who did he have as quicker than Hamilton for 6th place?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:35 pm 

oz_karter wrote:
Trust the Hamilton fans to throw a vote his way.

Lewis did nothing today to deserve to be a driver of the day. He got passed (easily) by Verstappen, then spent the whole race losing time to Ricciardo.

If the Red Bull team had pulled Ricciardo in earlier Hamilton would have been third.

Verstappen was easily driver of the day. Vandoorne did well (finally) and Vettel drove a strong, clean race (until the cool-down lap!?).

The oz, Ricciardo, didn't look impressive with his race pace compared to Verstappen and Hamilton given that he had the second best car for the weekend (behind the Ferrari). I agree though that Ham is not the best driver of the day, but I still have him third and ahead of Ricc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:18 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

He must have meant 5th place, who did he have as quicker than Hamilton for 6th place?

Totto is deffinitely downgrading their performance to make his drivers look better. Taking for granted what he said, he means Merc pace was the third best in Malaysia, then the worst Hamilton could've ended is 4th, because Kimi retirement and Bottas Playing his role as second Mercedes driver, then with Vettel in the back of the field and no rain or SC and Hamilton starting on pole, I see nothing spectacular to finish second

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:19 pm 

driver if the day:
1- Verstappen
2- Vettel, Perez, Vandoorne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:19 pm 

Invade wrote:
oz_karter wrote:
Trust the Hamilton fans to throw a vote his way.

Lewis did nothing today to deserve to be a driver of the day. He got passed (easily) by Verstappen, then spent the whole race losing time to Ricciardo.

If the Red Bull team had pulled Ricciardo in earlier Hamilton would have been third.

Verstappen was easily driver of the day. Vandoorne did well (finally) and Vettel drove a strong, clean race (until the cool-down lap!?).

The oz, Ricciardo, didn't look impressive with his race pace compared to Verstappen and Hamilton given that he had the second best car for the weekend (behind the Ferrari). I agree though that Ham is not the best driver of the day, but I still have him third and ahead of Ricc.

out of curiosity, who were your top 2?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:29 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

You are right, he said P5. I got it wrong.

Still, Hamiton overachieved in his car. Something few if any of the haters here will give him credit for.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:33 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
Still, Hamiton overachieved in his car. Something few if any of the haters here will give him credit for.

Why do you think so? Forum members here are generally (not always) pretty fair.

Fact is Hamilton shouldn't have had pole (should have belonged to Kimi) and shouldn't have been second in the race (should have been Ricciardo).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:40 pm 

mds wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Why do you think so?

Copious evidence in this thread.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:46 pm 

Herb Tarlik wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Well I would say he did overachieve as I think Ricciardo should have beaten him (though I'm open to the point by mikey that it could just be Verstappen making the RB look better than it was), to say that he should have finished 5th is misleading though as two of the cars that should have beaten him were not in contention to. It would be more accurate to say he should have finished P3 on pace, not P5.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:09 am 

Deep_blue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Totto is deffinitely downgrading their performance to make his drivers look better. Taking for granted what he said, he means Merc pace was the third best in Malaysia, then the worst Hamilton could've ended is 4th, because Kimi retirement and Bottas Playing his role as second Mercedes driver, then with Vettel in the back of the field and no rain or SC and Hamilton starting on pole, I see nothing spectacular to finish second

Oh boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:11 am 

mds wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Why do you think so? Forum members here are generally (not always) pretty fair.

Fact is Hamilton shouldn't have had pole (should have belonged to Kimi) and shouldn't have been second in the race (should have been Ricciardo).

Maybe you haven't read all the posts?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:13 am 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Herb Tarlik wrote:

Well I would say he did overachieve as I think Ricciardo should have beaten him (though I'm open to the point by mikey that it could just be Verstappen making the RB look better than it was), to say that he should have finished 5th is misleading though as two of the cars that should have beaten him were not in contention to. It would be more accurate to say he should have finished P3 on pace, not P5.

I think maybe he just meant that Hamilton would be the 5th fastest car in the race?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:53 pm 

I'd state that Mercedes was the third fastest car on race pace at Malaysia, so 5th sounds reasonable for Hamilton, assuming all the protagonists were able to line up as expected.
With Vettel, then Kimi, out of the equation, a projected 5th became 3rd.
Thanks to Bottas firstly jumping, then holding up, Riccardio, that became 2nd. Good job but not what I'd out into the 'spectacular' category.
I've given my vote to Vandoorne; putting that McLaren in 7th was quite sublime, in my opinion. Kudos to Vettel for recovering to the highest position at Malaysia after starting at the back, and to Verstappen for seeing off Hamilton early and controlling the race from there.