planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:22 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:14 am 

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13265 ... th-threats

Granted that social media can be the pits of the world but given this and some of the total vitrol I've seen from Verstappen fans this week after the penalty, is the push for picking up more "casual" fans going to have an undesired effect?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:17 am 

I'm following the Force India page and you can't believe the vitriol being thrown mostly by Mexican fans towards Ocon. They have this kind of entitledness, Ocon and even Force India should just roll over for Perez because "FI has everything to thank to Sergio" and "Sergio is the best FI driver in their history".

Countless Mexican fans fuming after last week's race because "Ocon backed Perez up until Sainz was there and then he escaped". "Ocon should learn to have respect". I mean, wtf?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:47 am 

It's true the best Mexican driver in F1 history has a name finishing by EZ.

But not beginning by PER.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:32 am 

I hope they are just empty threats trying to mess with his head.

I can't think any reason to send a death threat to a sportsman. I mean we've seen Seles being stabbed and Kerrigan being hit on the leg, so it's not beyond imagination, but no sane person would resort to something like this. I pray that it will be ok for Ocon. They are not helping Perez with this, whoever it is

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:45 am 

Just the mindless idiots every top sport attracts, unfortunately. But given the violent crime incidence rate in Mexico (particularly Mexico city) it's something that should be taken extremely seriously and Ocon should be worried, sadly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:02 pm 

Considering the state in which Mexico is, I don't doubt that there are a lot of guns on the black market easily snatchable by the people who think that their use is the right way to solve emotions.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:10 pm 

Just idiots on social media, seeking their 15 minutes of infamy. Anyone can sit behind a keyboard and say, "I'm going to f**king kill you!" To actually carry that out requires an entirely different mindset. 5th place in Azerbaijan or whatever isn't exactly motive to go out and kill someone.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:22 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Just idiots on social media, seeking their 15 minutes of infamy. Anyone can sit behind a keyboard and say, "I'm going to f**king kill you!" To actually carry that out requires an entirely different mindset. 5th place in Azerbaijan or whatever isn't exactly motive to go out and kill someone.

in terms of rational actions, I'd 100% agree with you. But unfortunately history has shown that for some sport tends to bring out an ugly side and, when coupled with a society where violence is, shall we say, a way of life, then it would be extremely silly to dismiss or otherwise ignore threats like these

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:30 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

in terms of rational actions, I'd 100% agree with you. But unfortunately history has shown that for some sport tends to bring out an ugly side and, when coupled with a society where violence is, shall we say, a way of life, then it would be extremely silly to dismiss or otherwise ignore threats like these

I see it the other way. If there is a furore over it, it will happen again and again. If it is shrugged of as some nutter speaking with the brain disconnected, so much the better. I would like a few coins for every time someone has said to me 'I'll kill you' or 'you'r fin dead' I would have, erm would have quite a few coins.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:43 pm 

moby wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

I see it the other way. If there is a furore over it, it will happen again and again. If it is shrugged of as some nutter speaking with the brain disconnected, so much the better. I would like a few coins for every time someone has said to me 'I'll kill you' or 'you'r fin dead' I would have, erm would have quite a few coins.
Remind me to avoid where you go on a Friday night :lol:

In UK, maybe. Mexico? Not so sure. Not in a country that has reached a twenty year high in their monthly murder rate:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/21/mexicos-monthly-rate-reaches-20-year-high

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:59 pm 

Zoue wrote:
moby wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

In UK, maybe. Mexico? Not so sure. Not in a country that has reached a twenty year high in their monthly murder rate:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jun/21/mexicos-monthly-rate-reaches-20-year-high

I would say that if you are the type of person who would willingly kill another man over a Grand Prix result (with little real importance in the overall season) you've probably already done it over something else in your life.

I personally can only think of 2 instances in history of fans attempting to murder sportsmen. Monica Seles by a mentally unstable obsessed fan and Andres Escobar, which was widely linked to gambling and the Colombian drugs cartel.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:04 pm 

Zoue wrote:
moby wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Banana Man wrote:

From many years of experience, if someone say that, you have little to fear. If they intended it, they would already be in action.

I dont remember ever being killed by any of them, but my memory is not what is was :frown:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:55 pm 

It's Mexico, so the threats are actually real.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:38 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:

Why moreso than anywhere else? Someone with a phone is just as likely to be a thousand miles away there as anywhere else?
The high incidence of killings in Mexico are mostly group or inter group related (according to the press).
Brazil is a far more real threat. Button and his co-hoots were kidnapped there a few years back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:54 pm 

moby wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

Why moreso than anywhere else? Someone with a phone is just as likely to be a thousand miles away there as anywhere else?
The high incidence of killings in Mexico are mostly group or inter group related (according to the press).
Brazil is a far more real threat. Button and his co-hoots were kidnapped there a few years back.

Not sure what you are trying to say. I would consider myself more likely to get shot in Mexico than Japan or Singapore.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:04 pm 

Harpo wrote:
It's true the best Mexican driver in F1 history has a name finishing by EZ.

But not beginning by PER.

It's good to see someone giving Gutierrez the respect he deserves.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:18 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
moby wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

Not sure what you are trying to say. I would consider myself more likely to get shot in Mexico than Japan or Singapore.

They're not psychopaths.

Mugged, maybe. Gang/drug violence, sure but to actually go out and kill someone over a collision in a motor race is something entirely different.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:57 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
moby wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:

Mexico is a big place. I doubt the F1 circus will be going to the parts you are thinking of.

Mexico city has an official population of almost 9 million, unofficial prob over 12. The metropolitan area is much larger with a population of 21 million.

Sorry for the wiki link but https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_Mexico_City

(BTW, wiki UK is struggling a bit so anyone who can spare them a £ via Paypal.....No adverts remember.)