planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:41 pm 

With the 'FIA Prize-Giving Ceremony' coming up, I was trying to remember all the F1-related categories, and all I could come up with off the top of my head (aside from those for WDC & WCC results that have already been established) are these:

Action of the Year
Rookie of the Year
Promoter's Trophy
Personality of the Year

What are the other categories and what are your predictions?

Here are my predictions for the categories I have so far. I'll try to update this OP if you guys can remember the categories.

Action of the Year: Hamilton v Alonso in Mexico City
Rookie of the Year: Lance Stroll, as much as it pains me. Please, someone give me a way out of this one!
Promoter's Trophy: Mexico City goes for an unprecedented 3 year streak
Personality of the Year: Fernando Alonso

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:27 pm 

Are these always only chosen from F1? Because rookie of the year would be Leclerc for me.
Action of the year: Sainz on Perez in USA.

The other two, IDGAF.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:34 pm 

That pass Max pulled at COTA woulda been the pass of the year for me had it been legal, without a doubt. First time I know of that anyone has pulled off a pass around there on the inside, at least in F1. Inside or outrside though, it's awesome to watch, as with RIC on Lewis on the outside in 2015 in the wet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:58 pm 

Action of the year: Sainz on Perez USA

Rookie of the year: Vandoorne (Leclerc if feeder series count)

Promoters trophy: Baku.

Personality of the year: Ricciardo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:49 pm 

mds wrote:
Are these always only chosen from F1? Because rookie of the year would be Leclerc for me.

I'm fairly sure any FA-sanctioned series counts, so I expect F2 to count. I'm pretty sure I've seen non-F1 categories win before.

These would be my predictions (potentially separate from what I actually feel is justified)

Action of the Year Sainz on Perez, USA.
Rookie of the Year Leclerc
Promoter's Trophy Maybe Mexico City? They seem to do a great job with that race.
Personality of the Year Should be Alonso or Ricciardo, but I'll go with Kubica in a surprise move

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #3)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:33 pm 

Quote:
FIA Personality of the Year: Max Verstappen
FIA Rookie of the Year: Charles Leclerc
FIA Action of the Year: Esapekka Lappi
President’s Award: Billy Monger
Best Promoters: Mexican GP organisation

Hamilton, Vettel and Bottas picked up their trophies for finishing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Mercedes took the WCC tropy. Plus of course several other categories such as Ogier winning WRC etc

Welp, 1 out of 4 isn't bad, I guess. But then Mexico City was a pretty easy pick for the Promoter's Trophy.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:36 pm 

How the ****** **** does Max Verstappen keep winning Personality of the Year? Can someone explain that to me? What the actual **** is he doing that's so amazing on the personality side?

I honestly do not get it. He's a great driver. He could be driver of the year if they wanted. But what exactly is this personality of his that's so compelling he wins Personality of the Year for three straight years?!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:50 pm 

Exediron wrote:
How the ****** **** does Max Verstappen keep winning Personality of the Year? Can someone explain that to me? What the actual **** is he doing that's so amazing on the personality side?

I honestly do not get it. He's a great driver. He could be driver of the year if they wanted. But what exactly is this personality of his that's so compelling he wins Personality of the Year for three straight years?!

I do respect him as a driver, but his personality and attitude surely isn't enough to get this... He still often says rather disrespectful things without thinking. His team mate has a much more pleasent personality in my view. But I'm not sure who I would give the prise to.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:45 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
I do respect him as a driver, but his personality and attitude surely isn't enough to get this... He still often says rather disrespectful things without thinking. His team mate has a much more pleasent personality in my view. But I'm not sure who I would give the prise to.

I would give it to the most entertaining driver who didn't bring the sport into disrepute by either barging into the side of his championship rival (Vettel), calling the stewards retarded (Verstappen) or constantly complaining on the radio (Alonso or Grosjean). That makes it a clear choice for me: Ricciardo. Funny, engaging, unique, and not even half as negative as the above candidates.

It's not just that Max won it this year while doing virtually nothing entertaining or original on the personality side. It's not just that he won it last year with the same issues. It's that he's won the frikkin' award every single year he's been eligible, despite not earning it in any of them. It's just another example of the FIA trying to push Max on us and reminding us (in a not very subtle way) how much we should love him and find him the best thing in F1. I don't, and if I did it would be because of his driving, not his personality. If they want to make people interested in Max, his driving is the angle they should play up - it's actually engaging, like it or not. His personality isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:57 pm 

Verstapen is not a particularly big personality. This is more about the FIA wanting him to be the man to carry F1 into the future.

There was palpable tension between Hamilton and the Liberty media chap on that stage. That is a strained realationship.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:04 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Verstapen is not a particularly big personality. This is more about the FIA wanting him to be the man to carry F1 into the future.

Gotta keep those Verstappen fans clicking the turnstiles at the races.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:30 am 

Yes, how Verstappen can get that award is beyond me. He is acting childish and rude alot of times. Not taking away anything from his talent on track, because he is a fantastic driver. Maybe he should just let his driving do the talking?

If anyone should get the award for personality of the year it should be Ricciardo.

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC