planetf1.com

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:53 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:33 pm 

Those distinctive Martini stripes and logo were absent for Brazil and Aub Dhabi... If Martini is gone, that might free-up some of the team's options regarding drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:37 pm 

Not sure about Brazil, but I’m 99% certain alcohol sponsorship is banned in Abu Dhabi.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:40 pm 

bradtheboywonder wrote:
Not sure about Brazil, but I’m 99% certain alcohol sponsorship is banned in Abu Dhabi.

Erm they stripes and logo were there as usual in Brazil (With Martini written across the rear wing) and alcohol advertisement is banned in Abu Dhabi.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:53 pm 

mikeyg123 wrote:
bradtheboywonder wrote:

Erm they stripes and logo were there as usual in Brazil (With Martini written across the rear wing) and alcohol advertisement is banned in Abu Dhabi.

I think it’s funny, the tone in your post sounds like you’re disagreeing with me, but you’ve said the same thing (Including a bit more info on the Brazilian GP I missed)

I put it down to people on this forum habitually disagreeing with me :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:13 pm 

I stand corrected, as Martini sponsorship was there in Brazil, but not in Abu Dhabi.

Those Guar Gum (champagne substitute) people miss a marketing opportunity, year after year. :-P

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:40 pm 

bradtheboywonder wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
bradtheboywonder wrote:

I think it’s funny, the tone in your post sounds like you’re disagreeing with me, but you’ve said the same thing (Including a bit more info on the Brazilian GP I missed)

I put it down to people on this forum habitually disagreeing with me :lol:

Haha, I just quoted the wrong person!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:01 pm 

MB-BOB wrote:
I stand corrected, as Martini sponsorship was there in Brazil, but not in Abu Dhabi.

Those Guar Gum (champagne substitute) people miss a marketing opportunity, year after year. :-P

This same thing has happened every year with Williams since 2014 at Abu Dhabi. And to me their car suddenly lacks its brilliant finish. I still think it is my favourite.
I miss the gold and black Lotus though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:29 pm 

MB-BOB wrote:

I think Williams should have used the opportunity to sponsor Mankinis. Keep the paintwork and just replace 2 letters

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:51 pm 

bradtheboywonder wrote:
MB-BOB wrote:

I think Williams should have used the opportunity to sponsor Mankinis. Keep the paintwork and just replace 2 letters

We're getting dangerously close to Flavio Briatore/swimwear territory...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:25 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
bradtheboywonder wrote:
MB-BOB wrote:

We're getting dangerously close to Flavio Briatore/swimwear territory...

I'll get the Hammer ready

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:38 pm 

deleted by mod

Last edited by Mod Titanium on Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
deleted for content

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:36 am 

bradtheboywonder wrote:
I can’t resist. I need to know what happens with said Hammer

You get banned, usually...

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:51 am 

At races in countries where the advertising of alcohol is banned (Abu Dhabi, Bahrain etc.) I seem to recall Williams do change their livery slightly, removing the central red stripe from the livery, along with the Martini roundel.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:57 am 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:03 pm 

Interlagos

https://adn.gpupdate.net/large/317035.jpg

Abu Dhabi

https://adn.gpupdate.net/large/318239.jpg

Abu Dhabi is part of the UAE, and they are being driven towards wealth and stability. Of all the nations in that volatile corner of the globe, they manage to stay out of the headlines. The UAE is under Sharia law, thus no alcohol. Tourists may drink alcohol, but it's consumption is carefully controlled.

Williams have shown great restraint and consideration by making sure there is little subliminal connection between the different paint schemes. But then again, you do not want to offend the citizens of a nation where so much money and business flows from.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:04 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Interlagos

Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi is part of the UAE, and they are being driven towards wealth and stability. Of all the nations in that volatile corner of the globe, they manage to stay out of the headlines. The UAE is under Sharia law, thus no alcohol. Tourists may drink alcohol, but it's consumption is carefully controlled.

Williams have shown great restraint and consideration by making sure there is little subliminal connection between the different paint schemes. But then again, you do not want to offend the citizens of a nation where so much money and business flows from.

Little connection between paint schemes? It's identical minus the red stripe and the Martini logo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:58 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Interlagos

Abu Dhabi

Little connection between paint schemes? It's identical minus the red stripe and the Martini logo.

Do you believe that a casual observer who saw the Williams car at Abu Dhabi would make a quick connection between the blue and white paint scheme and Martini? Ferrari still maintain that connection with Marlboro.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:27 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Interlagos

Abu Dhabi

Do you believe that a casual observer who saw the Williams car at Abu Dhabi would make a quick connection between the blue and white paint scheme and Martini? Ferrari still maintain that connection with Marlboro.

Martini Zero? :]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:47 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Interlagos

Abu Dhabi

To be fair, without the actual word Martini on the normal livery, I doubt many people would connect the stripes with Martini anyway!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:34 pm 

minchy wrote:
To be fair, without the actual word Martini on the normal livery, I doubt many people would connect the stripes with Martini anyway!

So 50+ years of motorsport sponsorship and one of the most recognisable liveries in the business gets you pretty much zero brand recognition? If that is true no company should be sponsoring motor sport.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:53 pm 

Shades of 'Buzzing Hornets' :]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:26 pm 

moby wrote:
Shades of 'Buzzing Hornets' :]

Ha Ha, so true... :lol:

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... ormat=750w

http://www.the-border.com/images/D/BRPD1327.jpg

Last edited by MB-BOB on Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:13 am 

stratos wrote:
minchy wrote:

So 50+ years of motorsport sponsorship and one of the most recognisable liveries in the business gets you pretty much zero brand recognition? If that is true no company should be sponsoring motor sport.
Yep, pretty much!

I don't know who they're aiming their advertising at, but I've worked in catering and hospitality for over 25 years now and in no way connect the Williams livery with Martini's products. I think the best way I can think of explaining it is that I personally recognise the livery with Martini sponsorship, but if you showed the William's livery (without the word Martini) to someone who doesn't watch motor sport, but does know what Martini is, and ask them what brand it is, I'd be surprised if a majority of them would know what it was.