planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:09 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:58 am 

Lots of people enthousiastic about the look, but... as "cool" as it looks: that's my main gripe about it: it seems like it has been designed to look cool, negating the actual benefits of its look.
F-E cars, as it stands, are not incredibly fast just yet. I'm sure that will ramp up and improve in the future, but at this point they're not. I feel the look has been overdone and most of it doesn't really serve a clear purpose. And I do like everything on a racing car to have an actual purpose. I had the same feeling about the front wing of the current car, by the way, but now for this new car it seems like they have gone totally overboard and threw everything at it they could.

That's also my general feeling about F-E, much of it feels fabricated just for the sake of coolness.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:08 am 

mds wrote:
Lots of people enthousiastic about the look, but... as "cool" as it looks: that's my main gripe about it: it seems like it has been designed to look cool, negating the actual benefits of its look.
F-E cars, as it stands, are not incredibly fast just yet. I'm sure that will ramp up and improve in the future, but at this point they're not. I feel the look has been overdone and most of it doesn't really serve a clear purpose. And I do like everything on a racing car to have an actual purpose. I had the same feeling about the front wing of the current car, by the way, but now for this new car it seems like they have gone totally overboard and threw everything at it they could.

That's also my general feeling about F-E, much of it feels fabricated just for the sake of coolness.

I agree with your last sentence, but for me that's fine. One of the things I like about Fe is that the aero is pretty much irrelevant which makes for much closer racing. So they may as well go overboard with the design and make it look as cool as they can!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:20 am 

Alex53 wrote:
It's a beauty and it is much faster.

However, I wish FE wasn't so much of a spec series and more open. Electric cars need to be developed and open competition would be more likely to bring innovation.

I like that the irrelevant bits like aero are all spec. Means the budget is focussed on developing really important technology, like the power train and energy recovery systems. It also keeps the racing much closer. If we had a Mercedes like team blitzing the field every season, it would kill the series stone dead.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:30 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Alex53 wrote:

However, I wish FE wasn't so much of a spec series and more open. Electric cars need to be developed and open competition would be more likely to bring innovation.

I like that the irrelevant bits like aero are all spec. Means the budget is focussed on developing really important technology, like the power train and energy recovery systems. It also keeps the racing much closer. If we had a Mercedes like team blitzing the field every season, it would kill the series stone dead.

"For the 2018-2019 season, the specifications for the battery are a weight of 250 kg (551 pounds) and 54 kWh energy, and peak power goes up to 250 kW. The cells are to be made by Sony, the integration by Lucid Motors, and track handling by McLaren."

Which parts are open?

EDIT: Sorry, to answer my own question, electric motor, inverter, gearbox and cooling system are not spec parts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:17 pm 

Pretty slick for a lawn-mower. A racing car? Not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:14 pm 

Alex53 wrote:

They are still trying to nurture the series as a whole though, introduce the kind of costs that go hand in hand with mass unrestricted development and it'll kill a lot of the manufacturer interest in it overnight. TBH I think they have pretty much gone about bringing this formula into existence in the best way they could have, even with some of the mickey mouse tracks. Plonking them on circuits where you could directly compare lap times would have been suicide at day 1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:02 pm 

Alex53 wrote:

Yeah I was surprised to hear a lot of the power train related stuff is spec.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:23 pm 

i find the idea of the "split" rear wing interesting. other than that, i guess i am in the minority, not a fan of it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:34 pm 

I like it. It's different, it looks cool, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how unobtrusive the halo looks (at least with this particular livery, which may not end up being representative).

Alex53 wrote:

Indeed. Hopefully they're planning on working up to that a few years down the road.

Group Pick'em: 2 wins, 6 podiums | 2016: 14th | 2017: 12th |

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:17 pm 

SmoothRide wrote:
Pretty slick for a lawn-mower. A racing car? Not so much.

I bet you like normally aspirated V8s/V10s/V12s, etc. If FE isn't there to do the job of developing electric racing technology, then F1 would be forced by the manufacturers to go further down the electric rabbit hole and further away from the petrol engine

So support FE if you would like to preserve some form of internal combustion engine in F1

FA#14

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:20 pm 

mds wrote:

IndyCar have put a lot of effort in making their new generation car look good. And it has worked. The reaction has been overwhelmingly positive. I see no problem with FE doing the same

FA#14