Post subject: Mercedes W09 Unvieled!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:50 am 

Here's the W09 car:

Source - http://www.imgur.com

Source - http://d3cm515ijfiu6w.cloudfront.net/wp ... 852221.jpg

Source - https://msmproduction.s3-eu-west-1.amaz ... s_call.jpg

Source - https://msmproduction.s3-eu-west-1.amaz ... ic/w09.jpg

Source - https://msmproduction.s3-eu-west-1.amaz ... kedown.jpg

Last edited by UnlikeUday on Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:42 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:21 am 

Livery is getting a bit tired now

PF1 Autosport GP 2017: 3rd Place

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:24 am 

The car reportedly broke in the pit lane. No miles recorded.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:27 am 

BeOnEdge wrote:

Yeah. Renault is the best as of now. Even Sauber looks more pleasing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:38 am 

Lt. Drebin wrote:

https://giphy.com/gifs/parks-and-recrea ... 1ABtsG7VTy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:54 am 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:56 pm 

Finally, a team confident enough to show their car in broad daylight.

Silver has never been a distinctive color scheme, because of the nature of silver itself. But it will stand out from the other cars, even when it leads the season...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:44 pm 

The sidepods seem slimmer and overall I have a sense that the packaging is a bit tighter but other than that, it looks very similar. I think they have left a lot of the real developments out of this reveal. Certainly there is no visual indication of a significantly shorter wheelbase...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:47 pm 

Is this the first one to show the lower T-wing?
The livery is getting really tired.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Looks like Ferrari has one too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:00 pm 

At least the driver numbers are larger and thus one can identify the drivers easier.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:22 pm 

I’ve never had an issue identifying the high car is which and when the action is under way I’m too busy looking at all the componentry on the cars and looking to see how close guys get to one another, their braking points, their marks, and one another to bother looking at a number. I have amazing peripheral vision so while looking at all that the helmet color and design stand out in my brain instantly so I know who I’m watching. The T-wing color also registers quickly but you have to know which color is for which driver.

Just like last year, this car looks the sleekest thus far. I find it only natural with the static refs that this car is an evolution of last year’s final car. Ferrari seem to have taken a risk by revamping so much of their car but in all actuality the overall shape of it is also close to their 2017 car is decor the side pod inlets. Let’s hope they’re consistently closer than last year.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:14 pm 

Wheelbase stays the same but rake increased a bit according to Toto. Obviously very happy with what they've got and some nice evolution in the sidepods and rear packaging.

I quite like the darker colour at the back of the livery too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:00 pm 

Thought we were done with the ultra winglet stuff..... looks like a batmobile had a baby with wind turbines around the bargeboards lol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:15 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
I have amazing peripheral vision

Me too ;)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:22 pm 

Can someone please tell me the name of the presenter who often does Mercedes bits (like interviewing Lewis last year while he drove a Mercedes production car around Malaysia) who did the interviews at the can unveil? She often does the driver interviews during the driver parade too.

Mercedes never have the courtesy of naming her in their YouTube videos and I never see her name flash on the screen, the Sky guys never mention her by name either when it goes to her. Just trying to put a name to the face because I think she's always very insightful and fun to listen to as an interviewer.

To be clear, this is who I'm talking about - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp3saI87WL4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:27 pm 

Ugly as hell - like all the new cars.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:29 pm 

dobyblue wrote:
Can someone please tell me the name of the presenter who often does Mercedes bits (like interviewing Lewis last year while he drove a Mercedes production car around Malaysia) who did the interviews at the can unveil? She often does the driver interviews during the driver parade too.

Mercedes never have the courtesy of naming her in their YouTube videos and I never see her name flash on the screen, the Sky guys never mention her by name either when it goes to her. Just trying to put a name to the face because I think she's always very insightful and fun to listen to as an interviewer.

To be clear, this is who I'm talking about - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp3saI87WL4

Rosanna Tennant :)

I don't know if she has ever had a mainstream TV job but she covers a lot of the Formula 1 stuff, she presented the boat race in Canada and does the driver interviews at those F1 live shows before races

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:50 pm 

Lt. Drebin wrote:

Giggity. Don't get my hopes up

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:51 pm 

ohwell wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

You know it'll do 200 laps on Monday now don't you :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:56 pm 

Herb wrote:
ohwell wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:

You know it'll do 200 laps on Monday now don't you :)

Pretty sure :-((

Eh. Just kidding but I'm really hoping they don't just run away with the title(s) once more.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:02 pm 

I wouldn’t mind...

Lewis Hamilton 4 x WDC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:04 pm 

I'm glad they won last year but if Ferrari had been better in two - three races it could have been a different story

The way i see it, it's up to Ferrari to bring it to them

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:04 pm 

I know it probably shows I have a warped sense of perspective, but after thinking my first reaction of well, maybe the Halo does not look as bad as I feared, I wondered has anyone here seen a driver get in or out with it on?

Where do they put their feet? It needs a step like a plane.

Its also nice to see someone stick with tradition and not change the livery 'just for the sake of it' or to sell lots of new jackets.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:14 pm 

BeOnEdge wrote:

Hate to imagine what you think of the Ferrari then...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:28 pm 

moby wrote:
I know it probably shows I have a warped sense of perspective, but after thinking my first reaction of well, maybe the Halo does not look as bad as I feared, I wondered has anyone here seen a driver get in or out with it on?

Its also nice to see someone stick with tradition and not change the livery 'just for the sake of it' or to sell lots of new jackets.

I think (being fit young men) they stand in the seat and stretch their leg over the halo, past the side pod, to the floor

But i haven't seen them do it

I did notice, in the rather clunky Mercedes live reveal, a stepladder was placed next to the car to allow whoever was in it to get out. Although i think that was some lowly PR bod employed to sit and steer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:51 pm 

Video of Bottas driving the car with the halo, looking through a helmet camera, I had to stop watching as it made me feel claustrophobic, it must be a lot worse actually in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdH_-KKP7JE

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:55 pm 

owenmahamilton wrote:
Video of Bottas driving the car with the halo, looking through a helmet camera, I had to stop watching as it made me feel claustrophobic, it must be a lot worse actually in the car.

Looking at that, even with the talk of stereo vision, the obstruction of view of things in the distance directly in line with the central pillar of the Halo must be horrendous. It's off putting just in the video, can't imagine how distracting it is in the flesh.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:39 pm 

It looks almost exactly like the W08 with a halo stuck onto it. I'm expecting to see a lot more development by the time the lights go out in Melbourne, but right now I'm pleasantly surprised that it doesn't look all that different.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:49 pm 

Exediron wrote:
It looks almost exactly like the W08 with a halo stuck onto it. I'm expecting to see a lot more development by the time the lights go out in Melbourne, but right now I'm pleasantly surprised that it doesn't look all that different.

The bargeboards are a complete redesign, as is the suspension along with the rear packaging. A lot has actually changed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:15 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:
moby wrote:

I think (being fit young men) they stand in the seat and stretch their leg over the halo, past the side pod, to the floor

I did notice, in the rather clunky Mercedes live reveal, a stepladder was placed next to the car to allow whoever was in it to get out. Although i think that was some lowly PR bod employed to sit and steer

Would be a shame if a driver has to miss some races 'cos he slipped off the sidepod :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:49 am 

moby wrote:

Yes. I didn't expect anything new. That doesn't mean I ever liked Mercedes livery, but I understand having easily recognisable livery is what they want. It's like Ferrari, everyone knows that red cars are Ferrari. Similarly Mercedes are silver.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:01 am 

j man wrote:
BeOnEdge wrote:

Yes, some people complain about Williams being the same for 4 years and other teams being similar for several years too. I'm sure I have seen Ferrari be red a few times before. They are the team that probably have the least change overall when looking into the past.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:29 am 

Flash2k11 wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

Looking at that, even with the talk of stereo vision, the obstruction of view of things in the distance directly in line with the central pillar of the Halo must be horrendous. It's off putting just in the video, can't imagine how distracting it is in the flesh.

It'll only be temporarily off-putting. Enough simulator and driving hours and it just blends in to what you're used to. Even wearing a helmet is massively off-putting for most 'normal' people, but drivers won't consciously notice it over time.

I am concerned about blind spots through elevation changes though. Spa will be fun.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:43 am 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
j man wrote:
BeOnEdge wrote:

Yes, some people complain about Williams being the same for 4 years and other teams being similar for several years too. I'm sure I have seen Ferrari be red a few times before. They are the team that probably have the least change overall when looking into the past.

OT, but Ferrari has raced in blue before... Ok, a long time ago, but blue Ferrari, who would have thought, right?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:10 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

The view will look better once the sponsorship stickers start to appear on the inside of the Halo (in camera view)... NOT!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:41 pm 

Still a yacht. I thought they were going with a slightly shorter wheelbase, but it's a boat again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:18 pm 

moby wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
moby wrote:

Would be a shame if a driver has to miss some races 'cos he slipped off the sidepod :twisted:

That would be one grumpy F1 driver. Unable to do the two most important things in life ;)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:55 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
Still a yacht. I thought they were going with a slightly shorter wheelbase, but it's a boat again.

Ferrari have increased their wheelbase to match.

Mercedes must be confident with it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:27 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

I agree. I don't care what the drivers are saying initially publicly. This thing will hamper their vision big time. Just wait until they are actually racing in traffic, I expect the complaints to erupt. Worse yet, a major accident can be caused by this. What an awful idea.

It also makes it a lot less fun to watch onboard videos now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:36 pm 

kleefton wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

I agree. I don't care what the drivers are saying initially publicly. This thing will hamper their vision big time. Just wait until they are actually racing in traffic, I expect the complaints to erupt. Worse yet, a major accident can be caused by this. What an awful idea.

It also makes it a lot less fun to watch onboard videos now.

I think we'll get used to it

I hope (think) they'll announce next year will have an aero-screen