planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:29 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:47 pm 

There's supposed to be a major upgrade for Melbourne. In any case, amazed that we have some experts in aerodynamics here who can judge an untested car's performance from just a few pictures. Do recall their 2017 chassis being quite well thought of too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:15 pm 

I think it looks awesome. I love the small touch of blue. Just hope they aren't celebrating an 8th-place finish sometime in July as the season highlight again.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:44 pm 

Ideal time to get an American sponsor onboard :D

https://aminoapps.com/c/overwatch/page/ ... PdaBMnN556

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:55 pm 

Does anyone know why they chose blue?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:51 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:

Black would have been better IMO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:11 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:

Black would have been better IMO

Yeh i think they used black on the MP4-21 test livery

I'm just wondering if blue has a link to a sponsor or is just a design choice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:56 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:

They used papaya orange and blue on the M19 back in the early 70's

PF1 Autosport GP 2017: 3rd Place

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:10 pm 

BeOnEdge wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:

They used papaya orange and blue on the M19 back in the early 70's

OH yeh! So they did

https://www.automodellistudio.com/autom ... laren-m19/

Looks like Reynolds Aluminum brought that :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:16 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:

No, Renault have already been trolling them with a new sponsor.

Image from Ocado

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:21 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:

No, Renault have already been trolling them with a new sponsor.

Image from Ocado

Well, why not? It might appeal to race fans :) Not sure the factory could handle the production volume required to pay for the sponsorship ;)

Edit: Also soft drink sponsors are the new tobacco advertisers :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:04 pm 
Came to think about how small, nimble and racy F1 cars used to look until the end of 2008.

What would you prefer, the ''2008-look'' or the ''2017/18-look''?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:22 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:
Came to think about how small, nimble and racy F1 cars used to look until the end of 2008.

I think the current gen look fine. Wider, large slick tyres. The obvious like halo and shark fin aren't great but the halo especially is a sign of the times rather than a function of the current regs

i think they look good

I'm not sure i like the increasing elaboration of the side pod / barge boards (mainly because if slightly damaged it means retirement or a trip to the pits) but at least they're functional*

* by that i mean the designers are free to shape them how they please rather than, say, the wide front wings in '09 which were mandated to be ugly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:06 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
Not exactly size zero, is it? It's really fat compared to the other cars. Another miserable McLaren year in the making from the looks of it.

Their side pods are tiny.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:11 pm 

GingerFurball wrote:
ReservoirDog wrote:
Not exactly size zero, is it? It's really fat compared to the other cars. Another miserable McLaren year in the making from the looks of it.

Their side pods are tiny.

One thing I've learned from reading all the car launch threads is that every single team did a terrible job and dropped the ball, and they're all going to be slow come Melbourne. Too bad they didn't have some of the resident experts on PF1 design their cars!

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:25 pm 

Warheart01 wrote:

Defiantly small and perfectly formed for me. I would like to see them half the size and 1/3 the weight.
To me, the flying saucer floor and snowplough front wing look like a caricature from whackey racers.

Unfortunately, apart from the fiddly bits, crash structure would not allow this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:34 pm 

On the 'fat' talk. I don't think McLaren extended their wheelbase remember, nor have they got the crash structure outside the sidepod. Yet they still managed to have the smallest airbox by far, one of the biggest undercuts on the pods and keep small inlets so they've done not bad considering they followed Renault's conservative packing recommendations while Red Bull went aggressive.

Floor is well developed, although I still don't understand why those two long holes are legal, but I think the bargeboard area will get an upgrade package in Melbourne.

The rear suspension is different too and the front suspension was rumoured to change because of the variable ride height controversy but Scarbs has pointed out they remain just as high so I'm wondering if McLaren are prepared to call a bluff there or not.

Anyway considering it was forewarned as pretty much a livery launch with the 'real' package coming in Melbourne there are some new things there.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:20 pm 

http://www.somersf1.co.uk/2018/02/mclar ... lysis.html

On the new rear suspension..

Quote:
However, at the rear of the car McLaren are pioneering yet another fresh design, repositioning the inboard connecting points of the upper wishbone, whilst reshaping and conjoining it in order that it gives the most aerodynamically efficient shape possible.

On the rear packaging...

Quote:
The rear of the car, complete with its new suspension and gearbox is elegantly packaged, much like you'd expect, with a more substantial single rear wing support pillar now mounted to the engine cover at its base, much like Red Bull did last year. It's unclear if the pillar also continues down and through the exhaust, as had become en vogue but appears to be a feature lost this season. (This is likely down to the changes surrounding the length of the exhaust and the placement of aerodynamic furniture around it. However, what does stand out is the upwards curvature of the tail pipe and crash structure, with the team seemingly looking to continue to leverage the aerodynamic advantages presented by connecting the diffuser and rear wings flow structures.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:56 pm 

Last year’s car was a thing of beauty, this is nice.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 pm 

Top down comparison with Ferrari.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:31 am 

Literally a BIC pen.

[unsourced image removed by mod]

Podiums: 11
2018 Championship Standing: oh jeez...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:01 am 

Lotus49 wrote:

That’s the worst side by side comparison photo I’ve ever seen. The proportions are completely different and if you compare the positioning of components relative to the cockpit you’ll notice how far off the angle are from one another. They’re likely far more similar than this side by side deceptively suggests.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:25 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

That’s the worst side by side comparison photo I’ve ever seen. The proportions are completely different and if you compare the positioning of components relative to the cockpit you’ll notice how far off the angle are from one another. They’re likely far more similar than this side by side deceptively suggests.

There aren't many good top down photos kicking about at this stage to be fair but yeah I don't know why they matched the rear wing instead of the front as well, it makes it look a bit weird and loses the difference in sidepod concept. But they've got different length wheelbases and different side pod concepts so they'll never match up perfectly, sure.

I think it shows the development of the McLaren floor and bargeboard area at this time pretty well against an expected title challenger though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:21 pm 

And then, reality bites....

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13453 ... 1486750747

So that'll probably be at least halfway into the European season before we see any shakeup of the end of last season's top order, if any at all.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:57 am 

Flash2k11 wrote:

So that'll probably be at least halfway into the European season before we see any shakeup of the end of last season's top order, if any at all.

:uhoh:

That's a bit of a disappointment, since it effectively rules out three teams that might have been contenders from the championship. RBR or Macca might start winning races after Canada or whatever, but by then the two-horse nature of the championship will be quite solidified - and that's assuming Ferrari is in it.

Hopefully the second spec is at least quick enough to make the latter part of the season exciting.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:05 am 

I think it all depends on the oil burn clampdown. That is free time coming back to Renault from the AD comparison that the others will have to compensate for over the winter and they'll also be turned down to make the 3 engine limit.

I guess we'll find out just how much or little difference the re-routing of oil/exhaust gasses made. Mercedes went with a completely new engine this year and I don't think that's a coincidence, If they've managed to recoup those loses with the redesign then kudos to them.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:11 am 

Exediron wrote:
Flash2k11 wrote:

:uhoh:

That's a bit of a disappointment, since it effectively rules out three teams that might have been contenders from the championship. RBR or Macca might start winning races after Canada or whatever, but by then the two-horse nature of the championship will be quite solidified - and that's assuming Ferrari is in it.

Hopefully the second spec is at least quick enough to make the latter part of the season exciting.

Honestly I think expecting a good enough engine from Renault to really challenge Ferrari/Mercedes was always a long shot. They have clearly been a long way off the top two and without Honda there to take the spotlight off them we would have all been talking more about the poor job Renault have done since 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:27 pm 

My god this car looks amazing on track. I can't get over how good it looks. Now just have to hope it's fast too

FA#14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:13 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

There aren't many good top down photos kicking about at this stage to be fair but yeah I don't know why they matched the rear wing instead of the front as well, it makes it look a bit weird and loses the difference in sidepod concept. But they've got different length wheelbases and different side pod concepts so they'll never match up perfectly, sure.

I think it shows the development of the McLaren floor and bargeboard area at this time pretty well against an expected title challenger though.

The difference in wheelbase is nowhere near noticeable, let alone a foot or more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:19 am 

Lotus49 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

The difference in wheelbase is nowhere near noticeable, let alone a foot or more.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:05 pm 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:

Oh I agree it's not perfect or exact, these early photos rarely are but they're all we get this early. There'll be better ones after testing I'm sure.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:29 pm 

McLaren has a new sponsor logo to go on the halo:

https://www.racefans.net/2018/03/16/mcl ... logo-halo/

Oh the irony!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:41 pm 

owenmahamilton wrote:

Oh the irony!

Touch of genius from the marketing team.

Bravo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:12 pm 

owenmahamilton wrote:

Oh the irony!

That's not irony.

That's fully a fully intentional bit of PR/sponsorship. Great Job McLaren and Gandys, I love it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:14 am 

Herb wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:

Oh the irony!

That's not irony.

That's fully a fully intentional bit of PR/sponsorship. Great Job McLaren and Gandys, I love it.

Wonder if any teams approached Victoria's Secret yet?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)