Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:17 pm 

Aaarrrgh this is such a good news!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13456 ... ng-service

It is called called F1 TV PRO

I am excited! What about you guys?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:20 pm 

Good news for those who will have access to it. I'm hoping they release an abbreviated version of it to us in the UK. Obviously it wouldn't feature live race coverage (which would probably extend to F2 and GP3 as well, given Sky show both) but I would be a bit gutted if we aren't able to access their archives.

Of course, there could be non-legal ways around that, which someone might be encouraged to investigate should the above not happen, but let's wait and see...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:27 pm 

Jenson's Understeer wrote:
Good news for those who will have access to it. I'm hoping they release an abbreviated version of it to us in the UK. Obviously it wouldn't feature live race coverage (which would probably extend to F2 and GP3 as well, given Sky show both) but I would be a bit gutted if we aren't able to access their archives.

Of course, there could be non-legal ways around that, which someone might be encouraged to investigate should the above not happen, but let's wait and see...

VPNs aren't illegal, and that is all you are going to need to get around any geo-restriction connection wise.

Way back when, the way the Korean/Japanese MMOs kept you from signing up from outside of the intended country was to ask you for a legitimate address or their version of a social security number when making an account, and I imagine that something similar will be implemented here otherwise Sky are going to lose so much of their user base when this thing goes live.

It's an absolute no brainer for the future though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:53 pm 

Flash2k11 wrote:

VPNs aren't illegal, and that is all you are going to need to get around any geo-restriction connection wise.

VPNs aren't illegal, but using them to bypass legal restrictions on obtaining content is/maybe. YMMV.

I'm sure Sky won't be happy if if this substantially undercuts the cost of having a Sky sports (or even Sky) subscription and it finds F1 fans leaving it's service. One of the main reason they pay the big bucks for exclusive rights to high profile content is that it attracts/traps people into their eco-system, not that it makes sense on a per viewer basis. If this breaks that model F1 may find itself struggling to make the money from selling TV rights it is used too.

But hey, looking on the bright side, maybe this is a sign that they are taking a more long term point of view, where viewer numbers and ease of accessibility is more valuable going forwards than the rather simplistic model of milking the absolute maximum amount of money short term for selling coverage to the highest bidder.

Last edited by wolfticket on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:57 pm 

Great news! However, I hope they can get mobile/apple tv/roku access by the time the season starts. I wouldn't purchase this if it desktop/computer access only.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:57 pm 

Sky holds exclusivity in the UK until 2024?! Well they can go swivel, if I can get access to this by pretending to live in France I will, sounds so much better than the current Sky coverage and better value too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:59 pm 

Harsh for the UK viewers.
For me though... I'm all over it especially if there's an AppleTV app for it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:04 pm 

Just a quick reminder that any discussion about illegal methods of watching F1 is very, very frowned upon on this forum, and the penalty is severe. Wishing for a way to access this new official stream in countries where it isn't provided is fine, discussing the finer details of how to go about doing it is not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:23 pm 

I was so excited until I read the article and it mentioned the Sky thing in the UK.When it says exclusivity of live broadcast, I wonder if the streaming service can get away with streaming with a 7 minute delay?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:51 pm 

This is great news, one major step to F1 being entirely on the Internet, and I can finally end my highly overpriced subscription to Direc TV which I only watch maybe 10% of the channels I have to pay for to get F1. I see that it is only going to be live, any word on any type of on demand. I really want them to open up the archives to online on demand. ****Hint HInt**** Liberty Media!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:00 pm 

I think this is great news. I really may just cut the chord this year afterall.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:22 pm 

Anybody have a good E-mail address for Liberty, I would like to send them some respectful suggestions on what we should have in F1 TV.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:03 pm 

Woohoo! Burn the old order down, up with the new!

As a US customer who just had our own channel dropped unceremoniously, this is good news. And we never got all the practices before, so that's even better. I'm feeling very optimistic!

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:24 pm 

There is a bid in for Sky, so...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43209100

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 pm 

Does anyone know if they'll supply their own commentators or use existing teams?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:16 am 

jiminwatford wrote:
Does anyone know if they'll supply their own commentators or use existing teams?

I was wondering the same myself. I'd say they'll start their own commentary team. Although I wouldn't mind having Brundle and Croft on it as well as on Sky.

This online streaming has come at perfect timing for me being in the US, and away from Sky, for the first six months of 2018. Hopefully it will be ready for the Australian GP.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:30 am 

Wasn't there a ruling that (while we remain in the EU) we can purchase European TV subscriptions and watch them in the UK due to being in the EU?
Think it was a pub with a cheaper German sky subscription...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:42 am 

wolfticket wrote:
VPNs aren't illegal, but using them to bypass legal restrictions on obtaining content is/maybe. YMMV.

It is illegal, even if you are subscriber to some service and travel abroad you can't watch it. There are plans to change, but they are only plans so far.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:13 am 

dizlexik wrote:
wolfticket wrote:

It is illegal, even if you are subscriber to some service and travel abroad you can't watch it. There are plans to change, but they are only plans so far.

Which is what they wrote, the VPN itself isn't illegal but using it to in certain ways can be...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:39 am 

I've been waiting so long for this, and when I tried out the WRC all live streaming during this years Monte rally I was like why don't we have this yet?

Also, potentially about 5 times cheaper than the only current provider where I live. That's incredible.

I mean, assuming my Nordic country is included in "some other Nordic countries". Otherwise, grrr and stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:06 am 

Schumacher forever#1 wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:

I was wondering the same myself. I'd say they'll start their own commentary team. Although I wouldn't mind having Brundle and Croft on it as well as on Sky.

This online streaming has come at perfect timing for me being in the US, and away from Sky, for the first six months of 2018. Hopefully it will be ready for the Australian GP.

If they're not using Brundle and Croft, I'd be very surprised if Will Buxton isn't one of them. I'd bet that he's involved in it one way or another though.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:08 am 

I'd certainly make use of this... lets hope they bring out an Xbox App as that'll make life easier for me.

I used NowTV last season and the costs certainly add up.

PF1 Autosport GP 2017: 3rd Place

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:03 pm 

dompclarke wrote:
Wasn't there a ruling that (while we remain in the EU) we can purchase European TV subscriptions and watch them in the UK due to being in the EU?
Think it was a pub with a cheaper German sky subscription...

It was a Greek Subscription.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17150054

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:42 pm 

Screw SKY.

I've been championing this idea for about 4 years, trust them to go and ruin it for those of us in the UK left without an easily accessible way to watch F1 after this season.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:44 pm 

Anyone know if this will be available in AUSTRALIA?! Going on our TV rights history i'll be assuming the worst at this stage ...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:05 pm 

From everything I've read so far they haven't explicitly included or excluded Australia. There's a list of countries that will definitely get it right off the bat, and the UK and Italy that won't, and everyone else is left guessing.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:21 pm 

I'm curious to see how they are going to do the pricing. If it's month to month I'll start in March and close it in November. I'm sure they'll force us to pay for it in a 1 year plan all up front or have some discount to make it worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:29 pm 

shay550 wrote:
I'm curious to see how they are going to do the pricing. If it's month to month I'll start in March and close it in November. I'm sure they'll force us to pay for it in a 1 year plan all up front or have some discount to make it worth it.

I'd assume it'll be something like NHL TV. With that you can either pay for the season in one go or pay on a month-to-month basis (which obviously costs more) for each month while there is hockey, and then once the season ends the payments stop as the service goes dead. Guess the only way it would differ is if it continues offering content during the winter and continues to charge you accordingly, which I reckon might be what they do.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:59 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Woohoo! Burn the old order down, up with the new!

As a US customer who just had our own channel dropped unceremoniously, this is good news. And we never got all the practices before, so that's even better. I'm feeling very optimistic!

Ayyy let's not jinx it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:26 pm 

I'd assume it'll be something like NHL TV. With that you can either pay for the season in one go or pay on a month-to-month basis (which obviously costs more) for each month while there is hockey, and then once the season ends the payments stop as the service goes dead. Guess the only way it would differ is if it continues offering content during the winter and continues to charge you accordingly, which I reckon might be what they do.

As long as it won't also block me from watching any GPs that are being shown on my local network, that would be fine with me. I do get a little annoyed if I'm on a train trying to watch a game on NHL.TV and I cross a state line, and suddenly I'm 'in market' and I can't watch it anymore.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:56 pm 

I'm cautiously optimistic, especially with the news that they'll be making some footage of older races available as well. If they add more to that, it'd be worth it for the older races alone. I'm a little leery of streaming services in general, because it's been my experience that they're not as smooth or reliable as watching things on the TV, but this does sound like it'll offer more than what we usually get in the US.

Hopefully it won't have the same issue as the NHL streaming service where it won't let you watch a game in your area, but even if it does, at least that should only take out at most two races a year even if it does. Price is more reasonable than I was expecting, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:05 am 

Well bye bye sky... It's the last in a long list of annoyances from them. This is the last straw. I have no interest in any other sports then F1 so refuse to pay silly money for what they offer in terms of F1.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:17 am 

Exediron wrote:

As long as it won't also block me from watching any GPs that are being shown on my local network, that would be fine with me. I do get a little annoyed if I'm on a train trying to watch a game on NHL.TV and I cross a state line, and suddenly I'm 'in market' and I can't watch it anymore.

This is the one positive of being in the UK: I'm never in any of the markets :lol: We do get blackouts for games that are shown on TV here, but thankfully that is few and far between (at least prior to the playoffs).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:06 pm 

TedStriker wrote:
Well bye bye sky... It's the last in a long list of annoyances from them. This is the last straw. I have no interest in any other sports then F1 so refuse to pay silly money for what they offer in terms of F1.

We're stuck with Sky until 2024 - It won't be available in the UK, legally until 2025. I'm sure there'll be ways around it... Hopefully.

They really need to find a loophole in their Sky deal for the UK to get it launched here - its baffles me that they're putting it behind a £40 minimum a month paywall from 2019. Bernie really did everything in his power to maximize his $$$ and ruin F1 in the UK in the last 10 years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:41 pm 

This is the one positive of being in the UK: I'm never in any of the markets :lol: We do get blackouts for games that are shown on TV here, but thankfully that is few and far between (at least prior to the playoffs).

Neither of my teams is going to make the playoffs, so that won't be an issue for me this year... :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:12 am 

paramex wrote:
Aaarrrgh this is such a good news!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13456 ... ng-service

It is called called F1 TV PRO

I am excited! What about you guys?!

Always knew this would happen eventually. At least 7-8 years ago I mentioned on this forum how slow F1 management was in keeping up with technology. I did mentiuoned specificlcally about the need for real time access to onboard footage, data, choosin the angles rquired etc.. all to the desire of the viewer.. All this is about time...

I have been on this forum a log time ... back then i was mpls and not mpls2 as i am now..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:07 pm 

Doesn't MotoGP stream live, even though BT Sport has exclusive rights in the UK?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:27 pm 

I'm wondering if it's worth subscribing if the Mercs are going to dominate again. I want to see Ferrari, Red Bull and Macca in the fight. I'm not paying $12 a month to watch processional races. Here in the US they let go of the old commentary team from speed/nbc and we're going to have UK Skysports commentary on espn so if it's a procession I might try that for one year.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:57 pm 

I wish they would do a deal with Formula E. I'm sick of chasing it here there and everywhere. To try and find it online makes you dizzy. I am on the point of giving up and just watching the recordings.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:01 pm 

I bring good tidings.

The service is called F1TV, and the source and relevant information is found here.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/formula-1-to-launch-f1-tv-a-live-grand-prix-subscription-service.html

Why should you trust Sky? They have a vested interest in keeping all fans away from this service. Basically Liberty has taken such providers out of the loop because they will use Tata Communications to supply the content. In fact Sky just slashed their costs in half because of this initiative by Liberty.

Formula 1 fans will get commercial-free live streams of each race with multi language commentary. In addition, the service will provide exclusive access to all 20 driver on-board cameras throughout every race session.

Access will initially be available through desktop and web, with mobile apps and TV apps being phased in on Amazon, Apple and Android, enabling users to watch on a range of different devices at no additional cost. Pricing for F1 TV Pro will be offered on a monthly basis of USD$8-$12, and annual rates will be priced according to market.

It's finally here, a service cheaper than PPV, the fans have many options on what they can see, and the digital world is finally welcome in Formula One.