All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:51 am 

1m17.297 from Vettel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 am 

1m17.182s from Vettel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:52 am 

17.2 from Vettel now. Will we see a time in the 16's?

Seems to be some interest in the Ferrari diffuser, Will Buxton says that team photographers think they are running a double diffuser type concept. Some pictures from elsewhere on Twitter below but I have no idea what I'm looking at so nothing sticks out on them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:57 am 

I think the top three at least could easily post times well into the 16's if they wanted to here.

Apparently there's a 2 tenth delta between hypersoft and ultrasoft so tyre corrected Magnussen's time is just under a second slower than Vettel's. Do we really expect the gap between Ferrari and Haas to only be a second (or less if you take into account the respective drivers)?

Edit: Magnussen's time was actually on supersoft making the time roughly 8 tenths off Vettel's when tyre corrected.

Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:00 pm 

A 1:17.182 on hypersofts from Vettel.
So the 16s are coming.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:04 pm 

The second driver to get into the 17's... Gasly, 17.8 didn't see that one coming, these cars are beasts if a Toro Rosso Honda is putting in those times 8O

Edit: think he might have cut the chicane as it's not showing on the timings anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:36 pm 

Any team going to try the hard or superhard tyres? They will probably never be used.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:18 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Question for the people jumping on Macca for their reliability issues at the test: How does McLaren cause Renault to provide them a bad battery, and how did they cause their Renault engine to spring an oil leak?

Not saying that's the case, but why couldn't insufficient cooling cause both battery and engine issues?

I'm sure it could cause some engine issues, but I don't know that it would cause an oil leak specifically. The overheating issue they have - when it surfaces - seems to just cause burn marks on the engine cover and force them to stop running. I assume the oil leak was unrelated, since they didn't attribute it to overheating.

As for the batteries, I agree that overheating could have caused those to fail - but since Renault has said outright that they were bad batteries (and RBR had the same problem) that one was purely rhetorical. We know it wasn't McLaren's fault.

Well I would phrase it we know it wasn't McLaren's fault if we are to take their word for it.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:40 pm 

mds wrote:
owenmahamilton wrote:
Looking at the times being set so far, it seems that the field is a lot closer together than it has been for quite a while, it might just be because it's only testing but it would be good if this carries on through the season.

Big boys still not showing what they've got. Magnussen just did a 1:18.5 on supersoft tyres and on his inlap he did a green and purple, so he could go faster still. And Mercedes and Ferrari should be quite a bit faster again but for now now showing it.

Yeah I think that lap highlights the fact that in terms of ultimate pace we are seeing nothing, I guess that's why much more is made of long run pace.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:43 pm 

mds wrote:
Caserole of Nonsense wrote:
vettel getting vast majority of ferrari testing. again. pathetic ferrari. illness involved or not its just pathetic. looks like kimi has lost the half day from yesterday if vettel tests all day. wonder if vettel would have lost a half day if hed been ill. of course not they would have taken it from kimi.

OK, I'll bite. Are there logical reasons for giving Vettel more time? Does Kimi like testing or not so much? Is his feedback as good as Vettel's? is he still not feeling terribly well after yesterday? With last year's championship being closer than expected, would it not be logical to make sure your #1 driver is geared up as best as possible?

Kimi being ill is the only valid reason, driver's don't tend to dominate testing for all the other reasons you gave, I expect to see Kimi getting a full day tomorrow if he is well enough to do it.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:49 pm 

mds wrote:
vettel getting vast majority of ferrari testing. again. pathetic ferrari. illness involved or not its just pathetic. looks like kimi has lost the half day from yesterday if vettel tests all day. wonder if vettel would have lost a half day if hed been ill. of course not they would have taken it from kimi.

OK, I'll bite. Are there logical reasons for giving Vettel more time? Does Kimi like testing or not so much? Is his feedback as good as Vettel's? is he still not feeling terribly well after yesterday? With last year's championship being closer than expected, would it not be logical to make sure your #1 driver is geared up as best as possible?

yes it would make a lot of sense to a vettel fan like you. but a kimi fan wouldnt be happy would they. last year vettel did 591 laps to kimis 365 and i remember all the problems were when kimi was driving. this year its even worse as kimi missed a whole day last week due to weather. you might as well send him home and let vettel do it all if you only care about him.

wonder what merc are doing. oh yeah they give both drivers a fair crack. surely ferrari realised last year that vettel can be a liability and unless its an absolute rocket ship this year he aint gonna beat hamilton. but they could get constructors if they bothered about both drivers.

i bet kimi comes back tomorrow and does about 60 laps all day

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:00 pm 

mds wrote:

yes it would make a lot of sense to a vettel fan like you. but a kimi fan wouldnt be happy would they. last year vettel did 591 laps to kimis 365 and i remember all the problems were when kimi was driving. this year its even worse as kimi missed a whole day last week due to weather. you might as well send him home and let vettel do it all if you only care about him.

wonder what merc are doing. oh yeah they give both drivers a fair crack. surely ferrari realised last year that vettel can be a liability and unless its an absolute rocket ship this year he aint gonna beat hamilton. but they could get constructors if they bothered about both drivers.

I think you probably overestimate how much a driver gains from testing. I think it was Micheal Schumacher that said you need 3 laps to get up to speed on a brand new circuit so I think after 300+ laps another 100 or 200 makes very little difference to a drivers performance or readiness.

Testing is mainly for the teams. Drivers don't really like doing it generally as they aren't pushing as they would like to. Hamilton for instance famously dislikes testing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:08 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:

I think you probably overestimate how much a driver gains from testing. I think it was Micheal Schumacher that said you need 3 laps to get up to speed on a brand new circuit so I think after 300+ laps another 100 or 200 makes very little difference to a drivers performance or readiness.

Testing is mainly for the teams. Drivers don't really like doing it generally as they aren't pushing as they would like to. Hamilton for instance famously dislikes testing.

maybe for schuey but for a very fickle driver like kimi who is at best probably 3 tenths off vettel anyway, he needs all the laps he can to get that base setup right. which i guarantee vettel has been working hard on this week and will be in a much stronger position come melbourne. again! (thats the excuse come melbourne anyway)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:14 pm 

Impressed by the fitness these guys have, as per Hamilton tweet, they are pulling 6G's braking and cornering in Spain, and Vettel is just hammering laps out 3 days in a row! After 60 lap day in Karting I needed a Doctor!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:16 pm 

Hamilton running the super hard tyre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:19 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:

maybe for schuey but for a very fickle driver like kimi who is at best probably 3 tenths off vettel anyway, he needs all the laps he can to get that base setup right. which i guarantee vettel has been working hard on this week and will be in a much stronger position come melbourne. again! (thats the excuse come melbourne anyway)

Kimi said the same once, thus his reluctance to do simulation work, 3 to 5 laps was more or less what was needed to figure the circuit out.

His been doing this for a long time, seasoned drivers are not that affected by missed track time. I expect him to be in the car tomorrow no problems.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:33 pm 

Plus Kimi has also said that the simulator makes him sick.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:37 pm 

PRFAN wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:
mds wrote:

Kimi said the same once, thus his reluctance to do simulation work, 3 to 5 laps was more or less what was needed to figure the circuit out.

His been doing this for a long time, seasoned drivers are not that affected by missed track time. I expect him to be in the car tomorrow no problems.[/quote]

but simulation work is not the same as testing. in the relative warmth of this week he has done 46 laps! vettel did 170 on tuesday, 66 yesterday and over 100 already today. whatever the reason he is gonna be on the backfoot at the start of the season. he'll quickly be 50 odds points down and ferrari will have a great excuse to concentrate on golden balls and i will have to endure another season of blatant strategy favouratism and coming on here to voice my displeasure at both vettel and mainly ferrari.

Ahhhh. i am trapped in this recurring nightmare. please retire at the end of the season kimi.

PS does anyone know what to do when it says cant embed more the 5 quotes because i always seen to cock it up and remove the box from the quote i am replying to.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:44 pm 

nm

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:46 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
nm

I've been there before. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:50 pm 

I agree. Kimi has barely done anything so far :? Vettel already did 170laps and looks like today as well he could reach it. Kimi was not feeling good yesterday so Vettel did first half as well according to Ferrari. I seriously hope tomorrow Kimi can do at least 150laps. It is difficult to know because he is such a laid back character or Vettel/Ferrari decision. I like Mercedes way. Both drivers get to drive the car and they still do 150 odd laps.

Exediron wrote:
Mercedes-Benz wrote:
If Mclaren were still using Honda engine. Surley everyone including Mclaren would blame Honda for all performance and reliability problems :uhoh:

For a battery problem and an oil leak, yeah I would. Just like I'm blaming Renault for both of those now. They're power unit problems, meaning they're the fault of the PU supplier.

For the bolt failure, no, I wouldn't have blamed Honda.

I was saying mainly for overheating problem and their size zero philosophy. They did force Honda last year. I think they had 2 or 3 deadline to meet. Bernie said that it was not Honda fault and Mclaren use to always fight and blame them. Anyways I think it is good for both parties. Mclaren and Honda both have to prove themselves. I honestly though Mclaren will have it easy and Honda still recovering from last year disaster where they went even worse from previous year

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:04 pm 

yes it would make a lot of sense to a vettel fan like you.

Please lay off the personal remarks. Not constructive in any way, shape or form. My questions were meant to provide you with a number of reasons of why Vettel is in the car for the whole day today and not Kimi. Some might be seen as unfair to the guy, others offer a logical explanation. But you choose to ignore that, just call me a fanboy, and assume there's no valid and fair reason to not put Kimi.

Very classy :thumbup:

Quote:
but a kimi fan wouldnt be happy would they. last year vettel did 591 laps to kimis 365 and i remember all the problems were when kimi was driving. this year its even worse as kimi missed a whole day last week due to weather. you might as well send him home and let vettel do it all if you only care about him.

Last year Vettel did a lot more than Kimi, correct. The two prior years it was pretty balanced. But that we will probably also ignore, won't we?
And they don't exactly schedule when to have problems, now do they? And again - suppose Kimi is simply still feeling ill then it's not exactly going to help putting him in the car today.

You don't even know the reason, you don't know Kimi's thoughts on it, but there you are, shouting in anger at how pathetic Ferrari are.

Quote:

History has shown us that Hamilton can be liability just as well during a season, and that Vettel can be fast and scoring on a very high level just as well.

Care to look at the lap count in testing last year? Did Mercedes give them a "fair crack" as well last year? 468 vs 628 laps, quite a difference as well.

Quote:

Let's just see.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 pm 

The drivers must absolutely hate the spanish GP.
hundreds upon hundreds of laps here each year testing.

I would say it would be better testing at a circuit that is not on the calander. Jerez for example.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:50 pm 

mds wrote:

Please lay off the personal remarks. Not constructive in any way, shape or form. My questions were meant to provide you with a number of reasons of why Vettel is in the car for the whole day today and not Kimi. Some might be seen as unfair to the guy, others offer a logical explanation. But you choose to ignore that, just call me a fanboy, and assume there's no valid and fair reason to not put Kimi.

Quote:
but a kimi fan wouldnt be happy would they. last year vettel did 591 laps to kimis 365 and i remember all the problems were when kimi was driving. this year its even worse as kimi missed a whole day last week due to weather. you might as well send him home and let vettel do it all if you only care about him.

Last year Vettel did a lot more than Kimi, correct. The two prior years it was pretty balanced. But that we will probably also ignore, won't we?
And they don't exactly schedule when to have problems, now do they? And again - suppose Kimi is simply still feeling ill then it's not exactly going to help putting him in the car today.

You don't even know the reason, you don't know Kimi's thoughts on it, but there you are, shouting in anger at how pathetic Ferrari are.

Quote:

History has shown us that Hamilton can be liability just as well during a season, and that Vettel can be fast and scoring on a very high level just as well.

Care to look at the lap count in testing last year? Did Mercedes give them a "fair crack" as well last year? 468 vs 628 laps, quite a difference as well.

Quote:

Let's just see.

are you a vettel fan? yes because you have said it before. did i call you a fanboy?

get off your high horse fella.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:52 pm 

1st red flag of the day, Ericsson is in the gravel.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:54 pm 

mds wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Let's just see.

are you a vettel fan? yes because you have said it before. did i call you a fanboy?

I agree with MDS - Kimi was ill, why risk him not being able to complete a full day's testing tomorrow by rushing him out?

Hamilton had less than half the laps Bottas did last week (similar to Kimi v Vettel), Mercedes haven't gone out of their way to redress the balance this week.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:00 pm 

Fan, fanboy, don't care about the wording, nor do I care being called one. I dislike it being used against me as if my post is produced out of bias instead of reason, and that is what you did.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:18 pm 

mds wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Let's just see.

mds wrote:

Fan, fanboy, don't care about the wording, nor do I care being called one. I dislike it being used against me as if my post is produced out of bias instead of reason, and that is what you did.

That will be enough of that. Lets stay on topic here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:27 pm 

Ferrari have some real pace it seems. I find it hard to imagine anything other than a Merc vs. Ferrari rematch this year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:29 pm 

Still a lot of teams not showing their true hand. Haas in 2nd & Toro Roso in 3rd surely doesn't mean these 2 teams have lept the midfield. If the midfield teams can lap in 1:18's then the top 3 can surely be in the 1:16's but testing is not about the fastest time set.

We'll only come to know the true pecking order at qualy in Melbourne.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:34 pm 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Still a lot of teams not showing their true hand. Haas in 2nd & Toro Roso in 3rd surely doesn't mean these 2 teams have lept the midfield. If the midfield teams can lap in 1:18's then the top 3 can surely be in the 1:16's but testing is not about the fastest time set.

We'll only come to know the true pecking order at qualy in Melbourne.

Midfield is going to be great this year. I think Renault will be 4th best team, they look solid and Hulk is optimistic which is not normal for him :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:40 pm 

Bottas race sim was scary good. Over a second quicker on avg than Ferrari and Red Bull. McLaren's on SS and S was awful.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:42 pm 

TR half a second quicker than McL when both on hypersoft.

Yes still early and vague but shaping up nicely for best of the rest!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:53 pm 

McLaren's final stint on the race sim on mediums was much better than the SS/S..

out (M)
1:21.9
1:21.7
1:21.8
1:21.5
1:21.4
1:21.3
1:21.2
1:21.1
1:21.0
1:20.9
1:20.6

Mercedes avg last stint on mediums - 1.19.97 (21 laps)
Ferrari's avg last stint on mediums - 1.21.08 (18 laps)
Red Bull's avg last stint on mediums -1.21.2 (18 laps)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:03 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
McLaren's final stint on the race sim on mediums was much better than the SS/S..

out (M)
1:21.9
1:21.7
1:21.4
1:21.2
1:21.1
1:20.9
1:20.6

Mercedes avg last stint on mediums - 1.19.97 (21 laps)
Ferrari's avg last stint on mediums - 1.21.08 (18 laps)
Red Bull's avg last stint on mediums -1.21.2 (18 laps)

So 1.21.3 for MCL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:05 pm 

Which has surprised me no end,PRFAN.

Didn't expect that when it started on the SS but that's impressive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:05 pm 

The Mercedes was scary fast in Abu Dhabi.

The new car looks even better. I'm expecting/fearing dominance similar to a few years ago and extending engine life just plays into their hands further

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:25 pm 

Testing is pretty fascinating this year. It's hard to predict what will happen. Lotus49, you don't happen to have figures for Renault or STR do you?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:29 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
Testing is pretty fascinating this year. It's hard to predict what will happen. Lotus49, you don't happen to have figures for Renault or STR do you?

I want to see those too, if Mcl can stay within striking distance, and the guys behind be also on Mcl heels, we have ourselves a season

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:37 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:

No,sorry. I'm not sure either did a race sim today even though they got through a lot of laps. I think Haas did one that wasn't far off those above but the last stint was on softs instead of mediums I believe.

Renault were comfortably in the 1.20/21's on mediums yesterday though I'm sure I read. STR can't be far off, they've been there or thereabouts on every compound.