planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:43 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:18 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
I bring good tidings.

The service is called F1TV, and the source and relevant information is found here.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2018/2/formula-1-to-launch-f1-tv-a-live-grand-prix-subscription-service.html

Why should you trust Sky? They have a vested interest in keeping all fans away from this service. Basically Liberty has taken such providers out of the loop because they will use Tata Communications to supply the content. In fact Sky just slashed their costs in half because of this initiative by Liberty.

Formula 1 fans will get commercial-free live streams of each race with multi language commentary. In addition, the service will provide exclusive access to all 20 driver on-board cameras throughout every race session.

Access will initially be available through desktop and web, with mobile apps and TV apps being phased in on Amazon, Apple and Android, enabling users to watch on a range of different devices at no additional cost. Pricing for F1 TV Pro will be offered on a monthly basis of USD$8-$12, and annual rates will be priced according to market.

It's finally here, a service cheaper than PPV, the fans have many options on what they can see, and the digital world is finally welcome in Formula One.

It looks great, and about time they did this! However I'm hugely disappointed that it looks like, being in the UK, I’ll not be able to get this until 2025.

Given that my interest has been decreasing slightly over the last few years I suspect that not being able to watch live for the next few years might just be the straw that breaks the camel’s back – I suspect I’m not alone in that feeling.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:24 am 

I'm with Biffa on this, I don't mind watching the races or even an extended highlights later in the day as opposed to live, but I'm not as invested in f1 as I was a few years ago simply because of the lack of content available in the UK that isn't on Sky.

Liberty has taken some good steps to increase this including more on f1's YouTube channel, but it still isn't enough for me personally. If they could roll out the streaming service in the UK (and other countries in similar positions) and simply not allow live viewing of the races but kept the rest of the content available with the ability to watch races after the live event finishes, I would still subscribe and be happy with the service.

They also haven't mentioned much about additional content yet such as races from past seasons or specialy recorded documentaries and interviews etc. Id be especially happy if it was available to me with things like that even if it didn't include the races until the next day. I remember how good it used to be on BBC when they had countless gp highlights and extended highlights available to watch via their website.

But if we do have to wait until 2025, I'm fairly sure my interest in f1 will have wanned by then that I won't be bothered by it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:06 pm 

I would happily pay for a delayed stream in the UK, so long as it was same day. I quite enjoy watching races before going to bed on a Sunday night anyway now.

Can't see it happening though, I imagine SKY will fight any kind of on demand / streaming service being launched until 2025.

Sky should get ahead of the game and offer a monthly F1 pass on Sky Go at a similar price.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 pm 

Seanie wrote:
I would happily pay for a delayed stream in the UK, so long as it was same day. I quite enjoy watching races before going to bed on a Sunday night anyway now.

Can't see it happening though, I imagine SKY will fight any kind of on demand / streaming service being launched until 2025.

Sky should get ahead of the game and offer a monthly F1 pass on Sky Go at a similar price.

I suspect they may well do at some point. They've priced the way they have because they've been a monopoly. So with competition they will have to adapt accordingly. I'd pay for them if it was both affordable and available where I live. They have far superior coverage to most of the other European offerings I have seen.

That said, I'm quite interested to see how the official stream compares. Keeping fingers crossed it shows where I live

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:19 pm 

I saw the ad for the Sky F1 Channel only add on yesterday - £18 a month for the single channel! That's outrageous. I'm pleased I got it as a freebie included in my HD subscription years ago.

If Sky ever realise, I'll be straight on over to an OTT offering, even if I have to go with the cheaper, delayed highlights route.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:33 pm 

Herb wrote:
I saw the ad for the Sky F1 Channel only add on yesterday - £18 a month for the single channel! That's outrageous. I'm pleased I got it as a freebie included in my HD subscription years ago.

If Sky ever realise, I'll be straight on over to an OTT offering, even if I have to go with the cheaper, delayed highlights route.

My parents have the same thing, had an HD box when the channel launched back in 2012 (IIRC?) and so got the channel for free, never been charged for it.

I assume Sky have just forgotten as a free sports channel for 6-7 years seems more than a little generous. Hopefully there's no-one working for Sky on this forum :twisted:

Last edited by Black_Flag_11 on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:29 pm 

https://www.nowtv.com/watch-sky-sports-online
Discounted season pass on now TV £150, offer till 25th March. This is tempting...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:31 pm 

dompclarke wrote:
Discounted season pass on now TV £150, offer till 25th March. This is tempting...

Also tempted.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:24 pm 

dompclarke wrote:

£150 for 9 months. Still too much for me :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:17 am 

jiminwatford wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

It’s basically the entire season. Less than £8 per entire weekend, including practice etc, isn’t bad IMO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:41 am 

Zoue wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

It’s basically the entire season. Less than £8 per entire weekend, including practice etc, isn’t bad IMO

All I can see are offers for a day, week or month pass. Nothing for £150. Am I missing something?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:46 am 

My problem is that because I watch so little TV other than F1 FE and some Rugby, it probably only comes to a couple hours a week for half a year. I begrudge having to get the whole package with the rest of the rubbish just to get what I want.

£ v £ TV for a year or a trip to one of the GP it around the same. But, without TV coverage it is easy to lose interest and not bother with the trip either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:25 am 

moby wrote:
My problem is that because I watch so little TV other than F1 FE and some Rugby, it probably only comes to a couple hours a week for half a year. I begrudge having to get the whole package with the rest of the rubbish just to get what I want.

£ v £ TV for a year or a trip to one of the GP it around the same. But, without TV coverage it is easy to lose interest and not bother with the trip either.

I'm in the same boat - the only time the TV is switched on is for F1 or the odd rugby match. I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of the TV altogether - I've got my eye on a nice antique table that will fit into that space very nicely, and given that I support McLaren and Scotland I think the table will give me far more enjoyment!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

All I can see are offers for a day, week or month pass. Nothing for £150. Am I missing something?

scroll down the page. Should see it then

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:51 am 

DirtyMike wrote:
Anyone know if this will be available in AUSTRALIA?! Going on our TV rights history i'll be assuming the worst at this stage ...

And at the moment I think you assume correctly my friend.

As per usual, we get screwed. I'm starting to feel like a $5 hooker here with the change of race times and now live streaming.

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:07 pm 

Zoue wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
Zoue wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

scroll down the page. Should see it then

Ah - thanks Zoue :thumbup:

Shame they don't do a monthly subscription of the £150 deal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:28 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
DirtyMike wrote:
Anyone know if this will be available in AUSTRALIA?! Going on our TV rights history i'll be assuming the worst at this stage ...

And at the moment I think you assume correctly my friend.

As per usual, we get screwed. I'm starting to feel like a $5 hooker here with the change of race times and now live streaming.

But even a $5 hooker can get it for free elsewhere :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:45 pm 

Zoue wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

Its a good deal. I've gone for it.

Still, I can understand its probably a fairly big upfront payment for some.

They should do a deal for just Sky Sports F1, I mean I'll watch stuff on the other channels, but I really just want 1 channel, no need for the other 9.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:41 pm 

At this moment I am watching Indycar practice at St. Petersburg on YouTube. Everything, free.

Ponder that, and ask yourself why you tolerate having to pay to watch Formula One.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:47 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Herb wrote:

My parents have the same thing, had an HD box when the channel launched back in 2012 (IIRC?) and so got the channel for free, never been charged for it.

I assume Sky have just forgotten as a free sports channel for 6-7 years seems more than a little generous. Hopefully there's no-one working for Sky on this forum :twisted:

You're both probably on the same legacy package I'm on, which basically ensures the F1 channel remains free of charge because it wasn't an extra cost when we originally got it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:13 pm 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
Ponder that, and ask yourself why you tolerate having to pay to watch Formula One.

Because otherwise you either don't watch it or you become a criminal?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:48 pm 

jiminwatford wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

Also the last time i used Now tv online (which i think this is) it jumped and froze all the time and was unwatchable

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:28 am 

jiminwatford wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

Also the last time i used Now tv online (which i think this is) it jumped and froze all the time and was unwatchable

I think that might possibly be your internet connection?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:33 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:
At this moment I am watching Indycar practice at St. Petersburg on YouTube. Everything, free.

tbh, I don't think it's unreasonable to pay to watch a premier sporting event. It's great when it's free, of course, but I don't think "tolerating" comes into it. Everybody wants a bargain, but I don't see why being free should necessarily be the default situation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:43 pm 

dompclarke wrote:

For me, this isn't yet tempting. As Channel 4 still do half of the full race weekends live this year. With Sky this year, I will buy around 10 week passes I think. That will be less than £150. But What I really hope is that Sky will do this same offer or cheaper when they are exclusively live in 2019 onwards. It will be really frustrating if they only offer this when you can currently watch half the races live on freeview anyway.
If they keep this offer, that would be good. As if I wanted to buy their week pass 20 times at the current price, that would be £260.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:08 pm 

Herb wrote:

I hear this advert on the radio at work. I actually thought it may be worth it. As I have no interest in any other Channels but the F1 one. And £18 is cheaper than £30. And for around 2 races amonth on average, that would be slightly cheaper than buying 2 week passes. But I then found out you have to pay for Sky in the first place as you can't get it on NowTV. So it is £20 on top (if you don't already have Sky). £38 a month when I'm just wanting to watch practice, qualifying and the race. Just ridiculous....
When I listen to the adverts more carefully, what I normally can barley understand are the terms and conditions. And it does mention the charge for non existing sky customers. But that bit really does sound like they don't care. The rest of the advert sounds tempting though. Suppose that is they way they get money! But it isn't a very friendly way...

Zoue wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

I have really good internet connection and NowTV does buffer with me sometimes. The first time I ever uses it was just unacceptable. The picture was a total blur and you couldn't read any of the driver names on the list. This picture issue basically started at peak viewing time when the race was about to start. Then the picture was back to normal at the end of the race. But I managed to get my money back from NowTV. But it was certainly a bad experience. It hasn't been that bad since, but the image quality is still much worse than Freeview HD and it does buffer ever now and then. Very poor indeed for pay TV but it is about all I'm willing to pay for.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:22 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Herb wrote:

I hear this advert on the radio at work. I actually thought it may be worth it. As I have no interest in any other Channels but the F1 one. And £18 is cheaper than £30. And for around 2 races amonth on average, that would be slightly cheaper than buying 2 week passes. But I then found out you have to pay for Sky in the first place as you can't get it on NowTV. So it is £20 on top (if you don't already have Sky). £38 a month when I'm just wanting to watch practice, qualifying and the race. Just ridiculous....
When I listen to the adverts more carefully, what I normally can barley understand are the terms and conditions. And it does mention the charge for non existing sky customers. But that bit really does sound like they don't care. The rest of the advert sounds tempting though. Suppose that is they way they get money! But it isn't a very friendly way...

Zoue wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

I have really good internet connection and NowTV does buffer with me sometimes. The first time I ever uses it was just unacceptable. The picture was a total blur and you couldn't read any of the driver names on the list. This picture issue basically started at peak viewing time when the race was about to start. Then the picture was back to normal at the end of the race. But I managed to get my money back from NowTV. But it was certainly a bad experience. It hasn't been that bad since, but the image quality is still much worse than Freeview HD and it does buffer ever now and then. Very poor indeed for pay TV but it is about all I'm willing to pay for.

well, it will be worse than Freeview HD because for a start it's not HD.

I've had it buffer a few times, predominantly at the beginning of a race (basically, when I first connect), but after that it's pretty decent. Very rarely, it has buffered mid-race, but that's been the exception rather than the rule. By and large it's been reasonable quality. I think you'd have to be extremely unlucky for it to be unwatchable.

Bottom line is it's been a feasible opportunity for people to watch a race without having to fork out for a subscription, or pay for things you don't want to watch. That can only be a good thing. Sure, it could be better, but at least it's a reasonable option

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:29 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

For me, this isn't yet tempting. As Channel 4 still do half of the full race weekends live this year. With Sky this year, I will buy around 10 week passes I think. That will be less than £150. But What I really hope is that Sky will do this same offer or cheaper when they are exclusively live in 2019 onwards. It will be really frustrating if they only offer this when you can currently watch half the races live on freeview anyway.
If they keep this offer, that would be good. As if I wanted to buy their week pass 20 times at the current price, that would be £260.

But to be fair SKY aren't looking to attract people only when there's nothing available on C4: they would obviously want you to choose them for all your F1 viewing. And paying for just one more race weekend than you currently do and getting the rest of the season thrown in isn't a bad deal IMO. At least it gives you a choice, surely?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:22 pm 

Zoue wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
jiminwatford wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

Yeh it could be. I watched the build up to a race with a free weekend pass and it just wouldn't settle down

i was so worried it would carry on into the race i stopped and found a stream

My thought was, as mentioned, that it was such high definition my setup was struggling

i would happily watch with a lower definition but i couldn't see that as an option

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:43 pm 

Can anyone recommend a good IPTV provider? The one I used last year seems to have gone missing.

I´m pretty sure having an IPTV subscription isn´t illegal but if the mods feel it´s unethical to discuss here, please let me know.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:49 am 

Blinky McSquinty wrote:

You always pay to watch it, either by subscription, adverts or in the past in the UK the TV licence for BBC coverage, or by actually going to the race track.
Even watching in the the pub isn't free as you would be buying drinks and possibly food/snacks.

Your YouTube example would also include adverts if you don't pay for the red service.

Also look at the cost of F1 to everyone involved and ponder why they should tolerate us watching for free... If everyone watched free it would be quite a different sport I'd have thought!

Edit: of course I'd be happy if I could get it for free, don't get me wrong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:36 pm 

Very little media/entertainment is free. You may think / feel its free, but there's usually adverts at least.

I don't object to paying for F1, I think SKY's deal this year is very reasonable averaging out at £7.50 a race weekend, but I'd prefer the Network model with archive footage and on-demand options.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:06 am 

Zoue wrote:
TheGiantHogweed wrote:
dompclarke wrote:

But to be fair SKY aren't looking to attract people only when there's nothing available on C4: they would obviously want you to choose them for all your F1 viewing. And paying for just one more race weekend than you currently do and getting the rest of the season thrown in isn't a bad deal IMO. At least it gives you a choice, surely?

Well, on Amazon, you can get the week passes for £10. If you are trying to watch every session live spending as little as possible, I think this will be the cheapest offer which is why I don't yet think Sky's offer is good value as it will work out £40 more than if I chose to watch 11/21 races with week passes. Yes, it gives you loads more stuff F1 related, but to me, it really is unnecessary if all you are wanting is the sessions.

I just really hope they will do this offer next year, as then, even if I got all the passes for £10 each, that would add up to around £200. So given there will be no other way to watch F1 live on TV, this offer then will be worth going for. But I still think it is extremely expensive for the quality you get. The image quality on NowTV is a real drop when comparing to freeview HD, which considering it is a modern pay TV streaming device is pretty poor if I'm honest. They should be at 1080p by now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:54 am 

Is this streaming service going to roll out this week? I don't see a way to sign up anywhere?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:52 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:

Yes I've heard that advert a few times - I believe it is Martin Brundle doing the voice over. I think it’s a pretty poor form of advertising to be honest and it leaves a particularly bad taste when it’s using someone that you respect like Brundle.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:02 am 

shay550 wrote:
Is this streaming service going to roll out this week? I don't see a way to sign up anywhere?

https://www.nowtv.com/promo/formula1pass?awc=11006_1521514888_2078de0ac41e4cfa4485de206690783d&DCMP=afc-nowtv:nc_General/gen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:32 pm 

Apologies if I missed this but does anyone know if this will work like a DVR? I live in the US and my work schedule is crazy so I will not be able to watch anything live. I read that the service will have access to historic races but will we be able to watch races later on in the day or week.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:34 pm 

ynot22 wrote:
Apologies if I missed this but does anyone know if this will work like a DVR? I live in the US and my work schedule is crazy so I will not be able to watch anything live. I read that the service will have access to historic races but will we be able to watch races later on in the day or week.

We'd better be able to, or the whole thing is a bit of a joke.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:30 am 

zack14 wrote:
shay550 wrote:

https://www.nowtv.com/promo/formula1pass?awc=11006_1521514888_2078de0ac41e4cfa4485de206690783d&DCMP=afc-nowtv:nc_General/gen

This is for skysports - I was talking about the actual streaming service which is going live here in the U.S. Are they going to roll this out over the course of the weekend?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:57 am 

shay550 wrote:
zack14 wrote:
shay550 wrote:

This is for skysports - I was talking about the actual streaming service which is going live here in the U.S. Are they going to roll this out over the course of the weekend?

The plan was to roll it out for March 22 (today), but the last I heard is that they've pushed that back because they need more stress testing. Disappointing, but not surprising - and I for one would prefer that they wait long enough so that when they do release it, it works. Nobody wants to suffer through all trying to log on for Free Practice only for the entire service to crash.