Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:17 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Zoue wrote:
pokerman wrote:
mds wrote:
    pokerman wrote:
    The team totally screw up the race and the driver is not allowed to question what they just did?

Can you please, absolutely, PLEASE try changing your approach in discussions, instead of replying on every single post from front to back, try actually reading through the discussion first, consider what you want to reply on and then do so instead of digging everything up and seeing afterwards that there have been clarifications?

You've been doing this for years and it gets tiresome. Further in the discussion I think I have, in discussion with shoot999, explained my position better. So please, read further, and respond to that if you think it's still necessary.

I think it's ridiculous that a driver cannot be allowed to question a decision by a team especially when it's such a glaring mistake and loses him the race, I'm sure Red Bull aplogised to Ricciardo after Monaco 2016 yet here we are setting up Hamilton as some kind of prima-donna because he said "what the hell was that" and then the team aplogised to him, I don't care about your semantics about the teams not questioning the drivers, although I did give one example off the top of my head.

A far bigger event over the weekend was Ricciardo wrongly accusing his team of unfair treatment in qualifying but that didn't get the same amount of air miles, it didn't generate it's own thread perhaps because one driver is seen as likeable and the other not?

There's nothing to stop you creating your own thread if you like? Is the OP required to make a new thread on every incident?

I think you are completely missing the point here. mds was talking about drivers in general being rude to their engineers mid-race and using this recent relevant example, which was already being discussed, to highlight it. There is no need to view it as a Hamilton bash

You think Hamilton was being rude?

That's not the point of the thread anyway, it's the apology that's being questioned.

I fail to see what Hamilton did wrong and the reference to Ricciardo who was clearly in the wrong is how it is seemingly not note worthy in comparison, why is the thread starter not showing the same angst towards Ricciardo?

Ask him I guess. Why isn't he being outraged from an incident 2 years ago?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:18 pm 

mds wrote:
    pokerman wrote:
    mds wrote:
    pokerman wrote:
    Siao7 wrote:
    Ok, I get you. There's another element to consider though, they can't afford to agitate the driver by telling him off during the race, can they? I am not sure when was last time we heard someone from the pit wall telling a driver off in the radio during a race

Gunther Steiner told Grosjean to shut up, I think that was last year?

This is a very good example. It sticks because it's not often heard - but how many times have we heard a driver asking the race engineer to shut up? It happens quite regularly.

Hamilton didn't even say that though

I didn't say he did. It was in the context of accepted driver>pit but not pit>driver radio. Here I am actually wanting to stop focusing on Hamilton and make a broader point, but then you focus on Hamilton again.

Drivers shouldn't question decisions?

2013: 5th Place
    2014: Champion
    2015: 3rd Place
    2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
    2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
    Podiums: (6)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:20 pm 

pokerman wrote:
    mds wrote:
    pokerman wrote:
    mds wrote:
    pokerman wrote:
    Gunther Steiner told Grosjean to shut up, I think that was last year?

This is a very good example. It sticks because it's not often heard - but how many times have we heard a driver asking the race engineer to shut up? It happens quite regularly.

I didn't say he did. It was in the context of accepted driver>pit but not pit>driver radio. Here I am actually wanting to stop focusing on Hamilton and make a broader point, but then you focus on Hamilton again.

OK, read this:
    Quote:
    I'm not trying to look for a stick to hit Hamilton with, it was just an example to indicate that we seem to be considering it normal for a driver to question the pit, but only very rarely we see the same from pit to driver when the driver underperforms or commits an error, losing places.

That does not mean "drivers shouldn't question decisions". It means... well, it means what I wrote.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:22 pm 

Lojik wrote:
    pokerman wrote:
    I can't remember if Ricciardo said anything on the radio at the time .......

Over the radio he said "nothing you can say can make that any better....just save it"

Which is I don't accept your apology so worse that Hamilton's perceived reaction, I wonder if we had a thread that centred around what Ricciardo said?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:23 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
    pokerman wrote:
    mds wrote:
      pokerman wrote:
      mds wrote:
      Well, I don't really have a problem with the apology, drivers to the same from time to time when they underperform.
      What I question more is things like "what the hell was that".

You have to wonder how Hamilton would react if his engineer would have asked him after Canada qualifying: "what the hell was that Lewis"?
      Not to mention what would happen to/on this forum :)

The team totally screw up the race and the driver is not allowed to question what they just did?

Can you please, absolutely, PLEASE try changing your approach in discussions, instead of replying on every single post from front to back, try actually reading through the discussion first, consider what you want to reply on and then do so instead of digging everything up and seeing afterwards that there have been clarifications?

You've been doing this for years and it gets tiresome. Further in the discussion I think I have, in discussion with shoot999, explained my position better. So please, read further, and respond to that if you think it's still necessary.

I think it's ridiculous that a driver cannot be allowed to question a decision by a team especially when it's such a glaring mistake and loses him the race, I'm sure Red Bull aplogised to Ricciardo after Monaco 2016 yet here we are setting up Hamilton as some kind of prima-donna because he said "what the hell was that" and then the team aplogised to him, I don't care about your semantics about the teams not questioning the drivers, although I did give one example off the top of my head.

A far bigger event over the weekend was Ricciardo wrongly accusing his team of unfair treatment in qualifying but that didn't get the same amount of air miles, it didn't generate it's own thread perhaps because one driver is seen as likeable and the other not?

I think you need to re-read this thread. Especially after Mort Canard's post of the radio exchange...

I'm referencing the thread starter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:26 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
      pokerman wrote:
      Zoue wrote:
      pokerman wrote:
      mds wrote:

There's nothing to stop you creating your own thread if you like? Is the OP required to make a new thread on every incident?

I think you are completely missing the point here. mds was talking about drivers in general being rude to their engineers mid-race and using this recent relevant example, which was already being discussed, to highlight it. There is no need to view it as a Hamilton bash

That's not the point of the thread anyway, it's the apology that's being questioned.

I fail to see what Hamilton did wrong and the reference to Ricciardo who was clearly in the wrong is how it is seemingly not note worthy in comparison, why is the thread starter not showing the same angst towards Ricciardo?

Apart from starting the thread he has appeared to have gone quiet.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:33 pm 

mds wrote:
        pokerman wrote:
        mds wrote:
        pokerman wrote:
        mds wrote:

OK, read this:
        Quote:
        I'm not trying to look for a stick to hit Hamilton with, it was just an example to indicate that we seem to be considering it normal for a driver to question the pit, but only very rarely we see the same from pit to driver when the driver underperforms or commits an error, losing places.

That does not mean "drivers shouldn't question decisions". It means... well, it means what I wrote.

I think it's a normal thing to happen unless you expect drivers to be like robots, they are also charged full of adrenaline more so than people in the pits.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:42 pm 

pokerman wrote:
        Siao7 wrote:
        pokerman wrote:
        mds wrote:
          pokerman wrote:

I think you need to re-read this thread. Especially after Mort Canard's post of the radio exchange...

I'm referencing the thread starter.

Then please don't use "WE"...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:50 pm 

pokerman wrote:
          mds wrote:
          pokerman wrote:
          mds wrote:
          pokerman wrote:

OK, read this:
          Quote:

I think it's a normal thing to happen unless you expect drivers to be like robots, they are also charged full of adrenaline more so than people in the pits.

The focus was not on thinking it's a normal thing. The focus was on the discrepancy between both. It seems as if the team "owes" it to a driver to be consistently excellent, less than the reverse.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:12 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
          Lotus49 wrote:
          sandman1347 wrote:
          It's always interesting to actually get the full context of the driver's comments by comparison to the way the media attempts to make them sound. I think we recently had a discussion about this with regards to Alonso's comments and how the media edited them to create a negative perception of him. For Fernando, they want to paint him as a selfish egotistical person. For Lewis they want to portray him as a moody and weak-minded person. It's something I have become more and more aware of. I'm sure the portrayal of Vettel as a hotheaded jerk was also deeply skewed from any sense of balance.

Aye and we literally only needed Seb moaning about blue flags to get the hat-trick of FOM's current favourite narratives.

Alonso sounding fed up and on the verge of quitting. Check
          Lewis questioning strategy or some variance of "what's going on guys". Check
          RoGro moaning about brakes. Uncheck
          Seb moaning about Blue Flags. Uncheck
          Kīmi mumbling something about the car. Check
          Dan saying something vulgar and/or funny. Uncheck
          Max sounding petulant whether he's right or wrong. Check

That's their current 7 favourites imo. We should make a F1 Bingo card with them and some of Ted,Crofty's,Martin's and the rest's most worn out phrases. Might liven up some dull races. :]

Did you know that the extra energy from the battery in an F1 car is enough to power your family saloon car?

Also have you ever considered the similarities between Pirelli tyres and a ball of mozzarella cheese?

"I'll just interrupt Tanya, it's ok we go way back"
          "Lucky nipple tweak"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:15 pm 

RaggedMan wrote:
          Lotus49 wrote:
          sandman1347 wrote:
          It's always interesting to actually get the full context of the driver's comments by comparison to the way the media attempts to make them sound. I think we recently had a discussion about this with regards to Alonso's comments and how the media edited them to create a negative perception of him. For Fernando, they want to paint him as a selfish egotistical person. For Lewis they want to portray him as a moody and weak-minded person. It's something I have become more and more aware of. I'm sure the portrayal of Vettel as a hotheaded jerk was also deeply skewed from any sense of balance.

Aye and we literally only needed Seb moaning about blue flags to get the hat-trick of FOM's current favourite narratives.

Alonso sounding fed up and on the verge of quitting. Check
          Lewis questioning strategy or some variance of "what's going on guys". Check
          RoGro moaning about brakes. Uncheck
          Seb moaning about Blue Flags. Uncheck
          Kīmi mumbling something about the car. Check
          Dan saying something vulgar and/or funny. Uncheck
          Max sounding petulant whether he's right or wrong. Check

That's their current 7 favourites imo. We should make a F1 Bingo card with them and some of Ted,Crofty's,Martin's and the rest's most worn out phrases. Might liven up some dull races. :]

Didn’t Ricciardo say “Let’s make **** happen” or something like that on the formation lap?
          RoGro complained about Vandoorne ignoring blue flags instead of brakes so that saved Seb the trouble.
          When did Max sound petulant?

Missed the Dan comment. Max when he rightly stood his ground about Dan trying to get a tow. The "No. It's discipline" bit when his engineer was (wrongly) telling him to pass.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:11 am 

I think Merc have enough background on his past decisions so they know if action should be taken or not.

The guy took it all on him, nothing he could do more.

Horner comments are there just to spice things up. I am sure they would take him immediatelly if the guy left Mercedes for whatever reason.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:17 am 

pokerman wrote:
          Lojik wrote:
          mds wrote:

I think it's often fair enough for a driver to ask the engineer to shut up when they are in the middle of a race to let them focus on what they are doing. I know it's not even close but when I'm driving in a sim, if the wife even asks if I want a cup of tea I usually go sailing straight off. :)

It happened to me in a kart endurance race were we had to pit to kart radio, it had just started to rain and I was on slick tyres, I was approaching a fast chicane when I got the message pit for tyres, it totally broke my concentration which had to be at the maximum in those conditions, I locked up, missed the chicane and went onto the grass.

I had this happen a couple of times in a series kart race too. I got the call to let me know someone was dangerously in the center of a long winding dual apex right handed like Istanbul’s famous left curve, but it came right as I was hitting the first apex and I was going too fast to log and maintain control so I just eased off the throttle and was ready to brake but there was nothing I could do and from a 12 second lead, I spun and was then in the line of fire as I couldn’t get turned around due to the other car bing too close in the inside and I just sat there praying everyone would miss me, and luckily I just got graded by 2 others. I didn’t even finish the lap as by then I was last and I drove into the pits and I let my guys have it!!! I just packed up and left which is something I NEVER do. Win or lose, it’s fun as hell and I always stay to congratulate everyone. It cost me a sponsorship with Gillard and leopard and being as I was running a Rotax Sr., I was looking to switch to the less expensive and better performing leopard that I could service and maintain myself because I was a privateer and costs were adding up.

That’s why I love when drivers tell their teams to zip it sometimes. It’s just too much at the wrong time sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:47 am 

pokerman wrote:
          Siao7 wrote:
          pokerman wrote:
          Zoue wrote:
          pokerman wrote:

You haven't asked him directly about Ricciardo's incident

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:18 pm 

pokerman wrote:

Speaking of going quiet, I'm still waiting for you to answer the question on the Merc team-orders thread after Monaco... ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:11 pm 

A.J. wrote:
          pokerman wrote:

Speaking of going quiet, I'm still waiting for you to answer the question on the Merc team-orders thread after Monaco... ;)

They didn't do it, and if they did do it it wasn't so bad, and if it was bad other teams are doing it anyway.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:05 am 

da4an1qu1 wrote:
          I'm really taken aback that more hasn't been made of Mercedes allowing the chief strategist to self-flagellate so publicly like that on Lewis's radio. I'm angry at Lewis's sulking triggering it, but it is highly beneath Mercedes to have allowed that grovelling apology.

The team should always come first. Apologising to Lewis for the individual damage in the drivers championship diminishes the fact that it more importantly hurt the team in the constructors championship.

Mercedes should be much more hard-nosed. Even if it is multiple time champion Hamilton, they are giving the drivers utilisation of the fastest car, to amass these successes, and they need to keep a climate that reminds drivers the are plenty of others that would jump at the chance to replace them.

Lewis 'sulking' is called emotion. Every driver on that grid including Mr Nice Smiles can chat like that on the radio. If people want a prime example of bashing a driver here it is. If I said: Insert other drivers names : sulking.... silly thing to say considering every driver on that grid throws a tantrum every time something goes against them.

If the driver makes a mistake 9 times out of 10 they will apologise. If the team makes a mistake 9 times out of 10 they will apologise. Every team on that grid have apologised (even on the radio) for making mistakes that cost the driver.

Serious question. How long have you been watching F1?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:53 pm 

Exediron wrote:
          A.J. wrote:
          pokerman wrote:

They didn't do it, and if they did do it it wasn't so bad, and if it was bad other teams are doing it anyway.

That's kind of this particular poster's approach to everything it seems....along with flooding the thread with rapidfire one-liners which are usually meaningless and mostly out of context.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:09 pm 

Lets get this back on the topic at hand please people, whilst remembering that attacking people personally is against the forum rules.

If you have a problem with a particular post, report it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:50 pm 

Mod Yellow wrote:
          Lets get this back on the topic at hand please people, whilst remembering that attacking people personally is against the forum rules.

Apologies, Mod - this one's on me.

Though I'm curious to understand how to report a post when a poster (any poster, not this person in particular) derails the conversation with irrelevant stuff, repeatedly, even after being called out on it - I'm not talking about difference of opinion, I'm talking about deliberate blindness, selective reading, and out of context quotes. Is there a process to deal with it, or just something the forumers have to live with?

Thanks!

Back O.T. - I think both Hamilton and Ricciardo (!!) displayed a vulnerability last weekend....I can't recall any other top-tier driver needing to be publicly pacified and cajoled by the team (Vettel too perhaps in Mexico after his rant?).

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:27 pm 

A.J., check your PM's.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:57 pm 

A.J. wrote:
          Mod Yellow wrote:

Apologies, Mod - this one's on me.

Though I'm curious to understand how to report a post when a poster (any poster, not this person in particular) derails the conversation with irrelevant stuff, repeatedly, even after being called out on it - I'm not talking about difference of opinion, I'm talking about deliberate blindness, selective reading, and out of context quotes. Is there a process to deal with it, or just something the forumers have to live with?

Thanks!

Back O.T. - I think both Hamilton and Ricciardo (!!) displayed a vulnerability last weekend....I can't recall any other top-tier driver needing to be publicly pacified and cajoled by the team (Vettel too perhaps in Mexico after his rant?).

Vettel perhaps? Don't recall either Dan or Lewis getting a cuddle from the pit wall when things have gone wrong as has Vettel from Horner on a number of occasions. And I think maybe Alonso on the odd occasion? Not that I have a problem with any of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:36 pm 

sandman1347 wrote:
          Covalent wrote:
          sandman1347 wrote:
          da4an1qu1 wrote:
          I'm really taken aback that more hasn't been made of Mercedes allowing the chief strategist to self-flagellate so publicly like that on Lewis's radio. I'm angry at Lewis's sulking triggering it, but it is highly beneath Mercedes to have allowed that grovelling apology.

The team should always come first. Apologising to Lewis for the individual damage in the drivers championship diminishes the fact that it more importantly hurt the team in the constructors championship.

Mercedes should be much more hard-nosed. Even if it is multiple time champion Hamilton, they are giving the drivers utilisation of the fastest car, to amass these successes, and they need to keep a climate that reminds drivers the are plenty of others that would jump at the chance to replace them.

Translation: "I don't like Lewis Hamilton"

Translation: "I'm on a holy mission to uncover anyone who I think might not like Hamilton"

Lol no man you're way off. We've seen this type of apology before from other teams with other drivers.

Really? When have we seem this from other teams? Name an instance where someone can on radio and said he dropped the ball.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:44 pm 

ReservoirDog wrote:
          sandman1347 wrote:
          Covalent wrote:
          sandman1347 wrote:
          da4an1qu1 wrote:

Translation: "I'm on a holy mission to uncover anyone who I think might not like Hamilton"

Lol no man you're way off. We've seen this type of apology before from other teams with other drivers.

Smedley?
          Really? When have we seem this from other teams? Name an instance where someone can on radio and said he dropped the ball.

Rob Smedley?

Does not happen much though

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:28 am 

moby wrote:
          ReservoirDog wrote:
          sandman1347 wrote:
          Covalent wrote:
          sandman1347 wrote:

Smedley?

Rob Smedley?

Does not happen much though

You may be on to something there, Massa like Lewis also needed lots of pampering from the team to stay motivated during the races.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)