planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:33 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 3031
They've just put out this press release:

Image

Not confirmed his replacement but, unless they completely shock everybody, it's going to be Leclerc. No pressure, Charles...

_________________
Pick 10 | 1st x2, 2nd x3, 3rd x7
2018: 11th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Last edited by Jenson's Understeer on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
End of an era. Despite the fact we all knew this was coming and it's probably time anyway, still can't help but feel a little sad!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:15 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6684
Location: Mumbai, India
Is it a surprise his replacement is not announced? Why delay?

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 5907
Location: Michigan, USA
UnlikeUday wrote:
Is it a surprise his replacement is not announced? Why delay?

It's a bit of a surprise to me, yeah. But remember McLaren announced Vandoorne was out only a day or two before they confirmed Norris to replace him, so it could well be coming before Singapore. I'll be very surprised if we get to the Singapore press conference and they haven't made an announcement, in fact.

What if it's Lance Stroll? :twisted:

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 am
Posts: 2794
Location: Perth, Australia
And off to Sauber. Madness!

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:20 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 8:31 am
Posts: 174
Kimi has posted on his Instagram page that he’s signed a 2 year deal at Sauber.

I’m not tech savvy, so I don’t know how to post the confirmation over here


Last edited by bradtheboywonder on Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:26 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 2006
Wow...


 

An Instagram Post from


_________________
Top Three Team Champions 2017 (With Jezza13)
Group Pick 'Em 2016 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:42 pm
Posts: 2006
And official confirmation from Sauber


_________________
Top Three Team Champions 2017 (With Jezza13)
Group Pick 'Em 2016 Champion


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:29 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 3031
Herb wrote:
Wow...


 

An Instagram Post from



Even with all the rumours, I still wasn't expecting that!

I wonder if this is Ferrari's insurance policy just in case Charles struggles at Ferrari. Keep Kimi in the Ferrari family, so to speak, keep him racing, and if they did have to make a swap, it's a lot easier that way. Not that I expect Charles to struggle, of course...

_________________
Pick 10 | 1st x2, 2nd x3, 3rd x7
2018: 11th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:30 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6684
Location: Mumbai, India
So it should also be true Kimi will part own the Sauber team as well!!!

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:09 am
Posts: 2794
Location: Perth, Australia
UnlikeUday wrote:
So it should also be true Kimi will part own the Sauber team as well!!!


Would seem a shame to throw away all those millions he earnt as a driver..

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:37 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6684
Location: Mumbai, India
I think they not announcing Leclerc as of now is because Ferrari want all the limelight to fall on Raikkonen. Once all is settled in a day or two, Leclerc's announcement will be made setting heartbeats racing again!

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:39 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:11 am
Posts: 209
That is really a shock. I expected him to quit this season or the next, but to go to Sauber? Wow.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 1366
Location: Far side of Koozebane
UnlikeUday wrote:
I think they not announcing Leclerc as of now is because Ferrari want all the limelight to fall on Raikkonen. Once all is settled in a day or two, Leclerc's announcement will be made setting heartbeats racing again!


Just confirmed

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.charles-leclerc-to-ferrari-in-2019.5HMCUovwZO8oCgogY4I0QK.html

_________________
Question: If a compulsive liar tells you they're a compulsive liar, are they really a compulsive liar?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 4515
Exit from Ferrari is not shock.

But going to Sauber really is. Does he needs to fight for small points for two more years? With no podium in sight?

Also, it becomes clear that why Ferrari did not take firm approach with number 1 and number 2 drivers. But I am kind of disappoint in Kimi, because when he became WDC with Ferrari, it was because his team mate helped him. Now he does not returns the favor back.

_________________
The end is near


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:44 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6684
Location: Mumbai, India
Lt. Drebin wrote:
Exit from Ferrari is not shock.

But going to Sauber really is. Does he needs to fight for small points for two more years? With no podium in sight?

Also, it becomes clear that why Ferrari did not take firm approach with number 1 and number 2 drivers. But I am kind of disappoint in Kimi, because when he became WDC with Ferrari, it was because his team mate helped him. Now he does not returns the favor back.


Surely Kimi is not going for midfield fights. He's going there (as per rumours) as he'll become part owner of Sauber.

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 am
Posts: 2859
Really surprised that Kimi has gone to Sauber. Right back to where he started...

Hopefully it'll be a mutually beneficial partnership that'll bring Sauber funding and investment to put them back at the front of the mid-field where he left them in 2001.

_________________
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 4515
A few more thoughts. if Bianchi did not died in the accident, Raikkonen would be already out of F1. Also, taking a seat in Sauber is not good for young hopes of lower series. When will they have a chance to take a F1 seat? Looks like Ferrari has really strong faith in Leclerc, since no other young driver is set to take his place at Sauber.

_________________
The end is near


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 11:36 am
Posts: 2859
Lt. Drebin wrote:
A few more thoughts. if Bianchi did not died in the accident, Raikkonen would be already out of F1. Also, taking a seat in Sauber is not good for young hopes of lower series. When will they have a chance to take a F1 seat? Looks like Ferrari has really strong faith in Leclerc, since no other young driver is set to take his place at Sauber.

F1 shouldn't be a charity.

Sauber won't want to just be a feeder team for the bigger teams forever... They want to win as well.

Taking the hot young unpredictable thing from the lower formula for eternity isn't going to help them improve. They've done that for years, a couple of years of experience in one seat won't do the team any harm.

_________________
Warning: The above post may contain sarcasm.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 7:11 pm
Posts: 685
Be really interesting to see how Leclerc stacks up against Seb.
He's impressed me so far with his outright speed.
I can see him causing a few headaches for Vettel.

Kimi to Sauber is a strange one for me.
If Sauber maybe sign another young driver i can see why they'd want Kimi.
If they keep Ericsson then it makes no sense.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7444
Wow fair play Ferrari, that's one of the more bold/exciting bits of transfer news from the last few years. I'm surprised they actually went for Leclerc given the inexperience but it's certainly exciting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:36 pm
Posts: 2368
Kimi must really love F1... maybe he wants to take Rubens record for most starts?

_________________
Shoot999: "And anyone who puts a Y on the end of his name as a nickname should be punched in the face repeatedly."


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:39 pm
Posts: 251
According to the BBC, 'Keeping Raikkonen had been Vettel's preferred option'.

Well yes, it would be wouldn't it!

So how will Kimi react to team orders for the rest of the season now he's leaving and knows he's not got many more opportunities for a race win? It could get a little spicy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:38 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7355
Location: Belgium
ALESI wrote:
Kimi must really love F1... maybe he wants to take Rubens record for most starts?
Remember Alboreto? I think it was Nigel Roebuck who called him the man who loved F1 the most.

The only negative I can see at this point, is Leclerc not allowed to race Vettel. We saw what happened at Monza, where Vettel scuppered his own and Kimi's races, and I fear for Leclerc. Kimi's pole position was embarressment enough.

I felt that Leclerc was doing a fine job for himself, and for bringing Alfa Romeo the exposure it needs. Kimi joining them and his very first team wasn't what I expected, but I think it could work out very well indeed!

Best of luck to both Kimi and Charles.

Now all that is left is to teach those British commentators how to pronounce Leclerc. Lesson one: watch 'Allo! Allo!" There should be penalties for not butchering people's names. Kimi's isn't difficult at all, and yet...

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 5907
Location: Michigan, USA
What.. the... ****!

I have some crow to eat. I said never in a million years - and I was wrong. Still can't believe it. It's not April 1st, is it? :O

_________________
PF1 PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 14 podiums): 2017: 19th| 2016: 3rd| 2015: 4th
PF1 TOP THREE TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): 2017: 2nd| 2015: 1st
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 United States Champion! (world #2)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:41 pm
Posts: 4206
I cannot recall the last truly shocking F1 news I heard. I mean, Alonso retiring from F1 earlier wasn't much of a surprise. Ricciardo switching to Renault, I didn't expect but can understand. Even Rosberg retiring as WDC, which I didn't expect wasn't all that shocking.


Leclerc to Ferrari - fine, roughly what I expected.

Kimi to Sauber... 8O I did not see that coming. I'd have bet on me driving the Sauber next season before I'd have bet on Kimi. I'm not having a go at him, but I've generally assumed he's mostly stayed in F1 with Ferrari because it's a cushy job (in terms of car and it's fairly prestigious), he's not #1, he's getting paid a lot and he's already got impressive credentials of wins and a WDC. Maybe I've been doing him a huge disservice with that line of thinking, but wow, surprised at that part of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
TedStriker wrote:
According to the BBC, 'Keeping Raikkonen had been Vettel's preferred option'.

Well yes, it would be wouldn't it!

So how will Kimi react to team orders for the rest of the season now he's leaving and knows he's not got many more opportunities for a race win? It could get a little spicy.

so does this mean we can finally put to bed those persistent rumours of a Vettel team mate veto? Hallelujah!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:13 am
Posts: 1579
Zoue wrote:
TedStriker wrote:
According to the BBC, 'Keeping Raikkonen had been Vettel's preferred option'.

Well yes, it would be wouldn't it!

So how will Kimi react to team orders for the rest of the season now he's leaving and knows he's not got many more opportunities for a race win? It could get a little spicy.

so does this mean we can finally put to bed those persistent rumours of a Vettel team mate veto? Hallelujah!


Ofcourse not, next year the "He has a No 1 clause in his contract" will take over from where that stops, also the Leclerc is not allowed to race Vettel.


Last edited by Rockie on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:03 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
Just a wild thought here, but I seem to recall there were claims before the summer that Kimi had been offered a two year extension deal with Ferrari. Now he's effectively doing a seat swap with Leclerc after the latter had already signed a contract with Marchionne, I wonder whether the delays in announcing things have been due to the fact that Ferrari may have ended up with two contracts and one seat?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:22 pm
Posts: 8057
Toby. wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
So it should also be true Kimi will part own the Sauber team as well!!!


Would seem a shame to throw away all those millions he earnt as a driver..


Is it out of the pile he has already, or instead of the pile he does not get for the next 2 years?

Ferrari will also now have a gauge with which to measure other drivers alongside him


Last edited by moby on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 23, 2013 1:05 pm
Posts: 7444
Zoue wrote:
Just a wild thought here, but I seem to recall there were claims before the summer that Kimi had been offered a two year extension deal with Ferrari. Now he's effectively doing a seat swap with Leclerc after the latter had already signed a contract with Marchionne, I wonder whether the delays in announcing things have been due to the fact that Ferrari may have ended up with two contracts and one seat?

I remember it being said a few months ago that Leclerc wouldn't need a new contract because he was already on a Ferrari contract, he was just placed at Sauber but Ferrari could theoretically put him in the main team whenever they wanted. Sort of like how Red Bull/Toro Rosso contracts work.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:20 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm
Posts: 6684
Location: Mumbai, India
With Kimi moving to Sauber, can we safely assume that big things are expected / gained at Sauber as per investment / development for Kimi to go there?

_________________
Feel The Fourth


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
Fiki wrote:
ALESI wrote:
Kimi must really love F1... maybe he wants to take Rubens record for most starts?
Remember Alboreto? I think it was Nigel Roebuck who called him the man who loved F1 the most.

The only negative I can see at this point, is Leclerc not allowed to race Vettel. We saw what happened at Monza, where Vettel scuppered his own and Kimi's races, and I fear for Leclerc. Kimi's pole position was embarressment enough.

I felt that Leclerc was doing a fine job for himself, and for bringing Alfa Romeo the exposure it needs. Kimi joining them and his very first team wasn't what I expected, but I think it could work out very well indeed!

Best of luck to both Kimi and Charles.

Now all that is left is to teach those British commentators how to pronounce Leclerc. Lesson one: watch 'Allo! Allo!" There should be penalties for not butchering people's names. Kimi's isn't difficult at all, and yet...

What did Monza have to do with Kimi not being allowed to race Vettel? If anything, it indicates the opposite.

I suggest claims Leclerc would not be allowed to race Vettel are unfounded and we should wait and see how things pan out before jumping to conclusions


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 23910
UnlikeUday wrote:
With Kimi moving to Sauber, can we safely assume that big things are expected / gained at Sauber as per investment / development for Kimi to go there?

I don't know if we can safely say it, but it does seem an odd move as Kimi has repeatedly stated he's only interested in the opportunity to win. I'm leaning towards the idea that there's more to this move than meets the eye


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:28 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:29 am
Posts: 1962
Sauber and Kimi is a good fit as he is a tidy fast driver who will maximize points in the mid field. I think Vettel will prefer this too in time as LeClerc will be a clear No.2 who has to follow team orders. However if he can keep another car in between him and Vettel team orders will be irrelevant and moot. Kimi just likes and enjoys driving, good luck to him and if a car and its tyres totally suit him he is still a speed demon.

p.s. don't need to find a new signature as Kimi's acerbic wit will still be with us ;).

_________________
Kimi: "Come on, get the McLaren out of the way!”


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 1366
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Zoue wrote:
Just a wild thought here, but I seem to recall there were claims before the summer that Kimi had been offered a two year extension deal with Ferrari. Now he's effectively doing a seat swap with Leclerc after the latter had already signed a contract with Marchionne, I wonder whether the delays in announcing things have been due to the fact that Ferrari may have ended up with two contracts and one seat?


Yeah I can see that.

My immediate thought was that Ferrari may have been negotiating with Sauber to take Raikonnen so he can be kept “match fit” just in case Leclerc struggles next year. This would then allow for a straight swap back.

_________________
Question: If a compulsive liar tells you they're a compulsive liar, are they really a compulsive liar?

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:42 am
Posts: 967
Zoue wrote:
TedStriker wrote:
According to the BBC, 'Keeping Raikkonen had been Vettel's preferred option'.

Well yes, it would be wouldn't it!

So how will Kimi react to team orders for the rest of the season now he's leaving and knows he's not got many more opportunities for a race win? It could get a little spicy.

so does this mean we can finally put to bed those persistent rumours of a Vettel team mate veto? Hallelujah!


No it will never stop. He veto'd Kimis contract extension :lol: . See what I mean


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:02 am
Posts: 814
Location: India
OMG this is a shocker. Not sure why Kimi has signed to a midfield team like Sauber for 2 yrs 8O :? It will be nice to see though how Kimi can perform in midfield team. Podiums is out of question I think. He will be scrapping to get into points since midfield is to tight :?

I also think Ferrari has a backup just in case Leclerc fails to impress or creates chaos in Ferrari :lol:

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM9-GK3MeLI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:51 am
Posts: 4515
Seanie wrote:
Lt. Drebin wrote:
A few more thoughts. if Bianchi did not died in the accident, Raikkonen would be already out of F1. Also, taking a seat in Sauber is not good for young hopes of lower series. When will they have a chance to take a F1 seat? Looks like Ferrari has really strong faith in Leclerc, since no other young driver is set to take his place at Sauber.

F1 shouldn't be a charity.

Sauber won't want to just be a feeder team for the bigger teams forever... They want to win as well.

Taking the hot young unpredictable thing from the lower formula for eternity isn't going to help them improve. They've done that for years, a couple of years of experience in one seat won't do the team any harm.

Brundle is siding with me. :proud:

https://www.planetf1.com/news/brundle-r ... ng-talent/

_________________
The end is near


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 27907
Herb wrote:
Wow...


 

An Instagram Post from


This was actual one of the rumours going around that Kimi was going back to Sauber, it would be interesting to find out who started that rumour for future reference. :)

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: Currently 3rd

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (6)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Blake, MB-BOB, UnlikeUday and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group