planetf1.com

It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:12 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic

Appropriate penalty for Max's actions?
Poll ended at Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:31 pm
A good-for-the-show-character prize at the end of season 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
None 31%  31%  [ 19 ]
Some points in the license 20%  20%  [ 12 ]
One race ban 31%  31%  [ 19 ]
Two race ban 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Season ban 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 61
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7639
-ZeroGravityToilet- wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
F1 gets it's first bit of proper driver attitude since the 1970s so F1 punishes it!

Guess that's the world we live in.

90's I'd say when Senna chinned Eddie or when Schumacher tried to get DC.


F1 has chosen to punish the inocent party, Ocon, waaaaaay more harshly than violent brat Max. Go figure the world we live in!


Well, in fairness these punishments are for different things. It would be fun to have Ocon doing garbage day as a penalty after the race though!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 5236
kleefton wrote:
Lotus49 wrote:
He didn't come close to breezing past on the straight into T1 and was too impatient to try again in the next DRS zone down into T4. Those were the sensible options if he's much faster anyway.

I wouldn't expect a lapped car to compete for the apex in T2 either, I'd barely expect it when racing for position, Bottas backed out after getting passed by Dan, its asking for trouble and also because you're both risking your exit of T3 if you fight there even if you both avoid contact during T2, and you can end up bleeding time down the straight because of it.

As soon as Max defended T1 Ocon should've just focused on getting the best exit of T3 to just breeze past with DRS on the run to T4 if he had the pace. Clean and simple and not aggressive.


Sorry I disagree. If you watch it again, you see that Ocon actually had his nose in front at turn one. Verstappen braked late and dove on the inside to inch out in front and then expected Ocon to get out of the way. He did the same when he was overtaking Vettel, he just does not have any respect for any car that he is fighting with, and that is why it is going to bite him every now and then. That is also the reason Hamilton gave him so much room at COTA; because he knows that is how Max drives. He never leaves space. IMO it was refreshing to see that someone didn't chicken out against him. Being a lap down or not does not matter. Once you are fighting on track, you must respect the rules of engagement, otherwise you have to expect things might go wrong.


Happy to agree to disagree. I think we're only really apart on the bolded as I don't think you should be that aggressive when trying to unlap yourself, that's all.

If it was racing for position then I'd be closer to your take on it I think, although I'd still think Ocon was choosing a poor place to make a move but I'd probably lean towards more a racing incident because Max didn't leave the space.

_________________
"Clark came through at the end of the first lap so far ahead that we in the pits were convinced that the rest of the field must have been wiped out in an accident."
-Eddie Dennis, describing the dominance of Jim Clark in the Lotus 49 at Spa 1967


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:58 am
Posts: 1137
Location: Kansas
Take a page from Douglas Adams and "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", dump him on a prehistoric planet and tell him to evolve into a more responsible life form.

Edit: While we are at it, dump his dad Jos on the prehistoric planet with him. Also needs to evolve.

_________________
Mission WinLater


Last edited by Mort Canard on Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7798
Location: Belgium
Asphalt_World wrote:
F1 gets it's first bit of proper driver attitude since the 1970s so F1 punishes it!

Guess that's the world we live in.
Do I understand correctly that you side with Ocon? In that case, I agree.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 2113
Location: Far side of Koozebane
So half of Max's punishment has been announced

http://f1i.com/news/327635-verstappen-handed-public-service-duty-at-marrakesh-eprix.html

"Verstappen will spend the day as an observer to the stewards, closely following their work at a top-level international motor sport event as part of the educational and informative approach taken by the FIA in this matter."

Really?

This is a joke.

_________________
Races since last non RB, Merc, Ferrari winner (After Italy- 19) - 132 & counting.( Last win, Lotus, 17/3/13)

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 342 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7273
Location: Michigan, USA
Jezza13 wrote:
So half of Max's punishment has been announced

http://f1i.com/news/327635-verstappen-handed-public-service-duty-at-marrakesh-eprix.html

"Verstappen will spend the day as an observer to the stewards, closely following their work at a top-level international motor sport event as part of the educational and informative approach taken by the FIA in this matter."

Really?

This is a joke.

I mean, it's not community service, so in that regard it is a joke. But forcing him to watch the process by which penalties are handed out and rules are enforced might help him see it a little more objectively and realize that it's not all about him.

But that should be in addition to some actual community service. Something that's actually, you know, unpleasant and grueling. Like a punishment.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 2113
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Exediron wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
So half of Max's punishment has been announced

http://f1i.com/news/327635-verstappen-handed-public-service-duty-at-marrakesh-eprix.html

"Verstappen will spend the day as an observer to the stewards, closely following their work at a top-level international motor sport event as part of the educational and informative approach taken by the FIA in this matter."

Really?

This is a joke.

I mean, it's not community service, so in that regard it is a joke. But forcing him to watch the process by which penalties are handed out and rules are enforced might help him see it a little more objectively and realize that it's not all about him.

But that should be in addition to some actual community service. Something that's actually, you know, unpleasant and grueling. Like a punishment.


https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-autosport/1071279/Formula-E-news-Max-Verstappen-community-service-Marrakesh-ePrix-Sam-Bird

“I’ve of course followed Formula E a bit on TV but I’ve never been in the paddock, and I really enjoyed the day."

_________________
Races since last non RB, Merc, Ferrari winner (After Italy- 19) - 132 & counting.( Last win, Lotus, 17/3/13)

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 342 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7798
Location: Belgium
I hope the second part of the punishment will be the same task, but during a F1 race.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7273
Location: Michigan, USA
Fiki wrote:
I hope the second part of the punishment will be the same task, but during a F1 race.

You mean the second part involves a race suspension? That would be fair, yes.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7798
Location: Belgium
Exediron wrote:
Fiki wrote:
I hope the second part of the punishment will be the same task, but during a F1 race.

You mean the second part involves a race suspension? That would be fair, yes.
In all honesty, I don't think it would change much in this case, though I also think it would be fair. The reason I believe it wouldn't change Max's understanding of the rules in any way, is that the incident which triggered the one he got his punishment for, was decided in his favour. What happened in the post-race weighing room was really no big deal, even though Max did tell all viewers it was going to happen. But the stewards' ruling on the accident, though I still can't understand why, laid blame with Ocon. I believe that ruling to be a consequence of the badly thought through blue flag rules, and am a bit concerned for Max's overly inflated ego.
Also, a lot might depend on the stewards he sees in action, and the nature of the incidents they are called upon to investigate.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 32646
Well Verstappen did say he wasn't prepared to do anything that he found demeaning so when asked what he would prefer to do he said he wouldn't mind watching a FE race. :)

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:46 pm 
This seems to me to be taken out of context. It doesn't look demeaning to Formula E, to send him the to see how the stewards work is to put their work their at a similar level to F1.
To educate him on the process of the stewards is a good thing, he has moaned about their decisions so to let him see how they arrive there is surely beneficial.
The punishment was to be with the stewards, it couldn't be F1 without him missing a race...


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 32646
dompclarke wrote:
This seems to me to be taken out of context. It doesn't look demeaning to Formula E, to send him the to see how the stewards work is to put their work their at a similar level to F1.
To educate him on the process of the stewards is a good thing, he has moaned about their decisions so to let him see how they arrive there is surely beneficial.
The punishment was to be with the stewards, it couldn't be F1 without him missing a race...

Yes I actually see the sense in what they did, funny how one or two FE drivers' noses got put out of joint though.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:29 pm 
pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
This seems to me to be taken out of context. It doesn't look demeaning to Formula E, to send him the to see how the stewards work is to put their work their at a similar level to F1.
To educate him on the process of the stewards is a good thing, he has moaned about their decisions so to let him see how they arrive there is surely beneficial.
The punishment was to be with the stewards, it couldn't be F1 without him missing a race...

Yes I actually see the sense in what they did, funny how one or two FE drivers' noses got put out of joint though.

Indeed, the FE drivers should take it that the FIA was putting them on a similar level to F1 hence it was relevant for Max to go there


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 32646
dompclarke wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
This seems to me to be taken out of context. It doesn't look demeaning to Formula E, to send him the to see how the stewards work is to put their work their at a similar level to F1.
To educate him on the process of the stewards is a good thing, he has moaned about their decisions so to let him see how they arrive there is surely beneficial.
The punishment was to be with the stewards, it couldn't be F1 without him missing a race...

Yes I actually see the sense in what they did, funny how one or two FE drivers' noses got put out of joint though.

Indeed, the FE drivers should take it that the FIA was putting them on a similar level to F1 hence it was relevant for Max to go there

...rather than they looking at it as a put down because Verstappen was there as a punishment. :nod:

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7798
Location: Belgium
pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
This seems to me to be taken out of context. It doesn't look demeaning to Formula E, to send him the to see how the stewards work is to put their work their at a similar level to F1.
To educate him on the process of the stewards is a good thing, he has moaned about their decisions so to let him see how they arrive there is surely beneficial.
The punishment was to be with the stewards, it couldn't be F1 without him missing a race...

Yes I actually see the sense in what they did, funny how one or two FE drivers' noses got put out of joint though.

Indeed, the FE drivers should take it that the FIA was putting them on a similar level to F1 hence it was relevant for Max to go there

...rather than they looking at it as a put down because Verstappen was there as a punishment. :nod:
It almost looks as though the ones being punished were the stewards! :D

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7639
pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
This seems to me to be taken out of context. It doesn't look demeaning to Formula E, to send him the to see how the stewards work is to put their work their at a similar level to F1.
To educate him on the process of the stewards is a good thing, he has moaned about their decisions so to let him see how they arrive there is surely beneficial.
The punishment was to be with the stewards, it couldn't be F1 without him missing a race...

Yes I actually see the sense in what they did, funny how one or two FE drivers' noses got put out of joint though.

Oh, I missed that, who said what? Did anyone object towards Max watching their race or something?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:30 pm 
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
This seems to me to be taken out of context. It doesn't look demeaning to Formula E, to send him the to see how the stewards work is to put their work their at a similar level to F1.
To educate him on the process of the stewards is a good thing, he has moaned about their decisions so to let him see how they arrive there is surely beneficial.
The punishment was to be with the stewards, it couldn't be F1 without him missing a race...

Yes I actually see the sense in what they did, funny how one or two FE drivers' noses got put out of joint though.

Oh, I missed that, who said what? Did anyone object towards Max watching their race or something?

From the article published on PF1:

Virgin driver Sam Bird told RaceFans: “I mean, to call coming to Formula E race ‘community service’ I think does Formula E a bit of an injustice.

“It shouldn’t be a punishment to come here.


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 32646
Fiki wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
This seems to me to be taken out of context. It doesn't look demeaning to Formula E, to send him the to see how the stewards work is to put their work their at a similar level to F1.
To educate him on the process of the stewards is a good thing, he has moaned about their decisions so to let him see how they arrive there is surely beneficial.
The punishment was to be with the stewards, it couldn't be F1 without him missing a race...

Yes I actually see the sense in what they did, funny how one or two FE drivers' noses got put out of joint though.

Indeed, the FE drivers should take it that the FIA was putting them on a similar level to F1 hence it was relevant for Max to go there

...rather than they looking at it as a put down because Verstappen was there as a punishment. :nod:
It almost looks as though the ones being punished were the stewards! :D

Steward, that being Liuzzi a former Red Bull driver so I doubt it. :)

Although I don't know what Liuzzi made of Verstappen's suggestion that Vergne, da Costa and Sims should be awarded bonus points for their excellent driving? ;)

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7639
dompclarke wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
This seems to me to be taken out of context. It doesn't look demeaning to Formula E, to send him the to see how the stewards work is to put their work their at a similar level to F1.
To educate him on the process of the stewards is a good thing, he has moaned about their decisions so to let him see how they arrive there is surely beneficial.
The punishment was to be with the stewards, it couldn't be F1 without him missing a race...

Yes I actually see the sense in what they did, funny how one or two FE drivers' noses got put out of joint though.

Oh, I missed that, who said what? Did anyone object towards Max watching their race or something?

From the article published on PF1:

Virgin driver Sam Bird told RaceFans: “I mean, to call coming to Formula E race ‘community service’ I think does Formula E a bit of an injustice.

“It shouldn’t be a punishment to come here.


Ah, thank you


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:15 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 25158
dompclarke wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
dompclarke wrote:
This seems to me to be taken out of context. It doesn't look demeaning to Formula E, to send him the to see how the stewards work is to put their work their at a similar level to F1.
To educate him on the process of the stewards is a good thing, he has moaned about their decisions so to let him see how they arrive there is surely beneficial.
The punishment was to be with the stewards, it couldn't be F1 without him missing a race...

Yes I actually see the sense in what they did, funny how one or two FE drivers' noses got put out of joint though.

Oh, I missed that, who said what? Did anyone object towards Max watching their race or something?

From the article published on PF1:

Virgin driver Sam Bird told RaceFans: “I mean, to call coming to Formula E race ‘community service’ I think does Formula E a bit of an injustice.

“It shouldn’t be a punishment to come here.

yeah I think they missed the point on that one. The punishment was joining the stewards at a race, to see how they made their decisions. They could hardly do it in F1. Being at Formula E wasn't the punishment.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:05 pm
Posts: 323
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Exediron wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
So half of Max's punishment has been announced

http://f1i.com/news/327635-verstappen-handed-public-service-duty-at-marrakesh-eprix.html

"Verstappen will spend the day as an observer to the stewards, closely following their work at a top-level international motor sport event as part of the educational and informative approach taken by the FIA in this matter."

Really?

This is a joke.

I mean, it's not community service, so in that regard it is a joke. But forcing him to watch the process by which penalties are handed out and rules are enforced might help him see it a little more objectively and realize that it's not all about him.

But that should be in addition to some actual community service. Something that's actually, you know, unpleasant and grueling. Like a punishment.
Agreed. Community service would be walking about the circuit the day after with a sticker pole and trash bag to pick up the refuse left behind. I fail to see how MV learns a "lesson" with this.

I assumed the pennance would not be racing-related. As it is, the promoters got to promote Verstappen's attendance, maybe boosting their box office.

_________________
Life-Long F1 Fan from 1965 -- More than 575 Grand Prix recorded since 1982 (all but 3), and counting...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7639
They used to make them participate in road safety campaigns.

I guess they do not regard Max safe enough!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7273
Location: Michigan, USA
Siao7 wrote:
They used to make them participate in road safety campaigns.

I guess they do not regard Max safe enough!!!

No, Max said he wouldn't do anything humiliating. Exactly why he has a choice in what his punishment is, however, is another matter.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7798
Location: Belgium
Siao7 wrote:
They used to make them participate in road safety campaigns.

I guess they do not regard Max safe enough!!!
:lol: And they would be right.

Zoue wrote:
yeah I think they missed the point on that one. The punishment was joining the stewards at a race, to see how they made their decisions. They could hardly do it in F1.
I don't agree they could hardly do it in F1; the team bears a responsibility in the conduct of their driver. If Max were to be made to sit out a race and join the stewards as an observer, the Red Bull reserve driver would gladly take Max's place.
What I doubt, however, is whether Max would actually learn something from the experience, that would improve his sportsmanship. Unfortunately, he seems to follow in the footsteps of other overtalented drivers who were never wrong about anything. (And I wouldn't be surprised if sports psychologists were to say that is exactly the attitude required, to reach the top of the sport's earnings ladder.)

Perhaps the FIA might make him spend the second day of his "community service" learning about the rules from Tony-Scott Andrews, provided he would accept the idea.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:39 am
Posts: 25158
Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
They used to make them participate in road safety campaigns.

I guess they do not regard Max safe enough!!!
:lol: And they would be right.

Zoue wrote:
yeah I think they missed the point on that one. The punishment was joining the stewards at a race, to see how they made their decisions. They could hardly do it in F1.
I don't agree they could hardly do it in F1; the team bears a responsibility in the conduct of their driver. If Max were to be made to sit out a race and join the stewards as an observer, the Red Bull reserve driver would gladly take Max's place.
What I doubt, however, is whether Max would actually learn something from the experience, that would improve his sportsmanship. Unfortunately, he seems to follow in the footsteps of other overtalented drivers who were never wrong about anything. (And I wouldn't be surprised if sports psychologists were to say that is exactly the attitude required, to reach the top of the sport's earnings ladder.)

Perhaps the FIA might make him spend the second day of his "community service" learning about the rules from Tony-Scott Andrews, provided he would accept the idea.

well one would have to question whether the severity of the offence merited a race ban in that instance. I'm basically talking about the realistic options given the offence in question.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:37 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7639
Exediron wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
They used to make them participate in road safety campaigns.

I guess they do not regard Max safe enough!!!

No, Max said he wouldn't do anything humiliating. Exactly why he has a choice in what his punishment is, however, is another matter.


Why do you consider it humiliating? It is the least they can do. It does not mean pick up dog liter by the side of the road, just promoting road safety like "don't drink and drive", etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 2113
Location: Far side of Koozebane
His punishment was 2 days "community" or "public" service. Call it what you like, I don't care.

Now, how, by any stretch of the imagination, can being forced to attend a motor race and hang out with the stewards while they do their job be construed as performing a "community" or "public" service?

That's a very, very long bow to draw. If his punishment was a 2 day "educational" program or something like that, then fair enough, I could understand why he was made to sit in with the stewards, but community or public service? Come on. That's laughable. We're being played for fools here by the Verstappen camp, Red Bull & the FIA.

What actual community or public service did he perform in Marrakesh anyway? Does anyone know because as far as i'm concerned what he did was definitely not in either of those categories?

_________________
Races since last non RB, Merc, Ferrari winner (After Italy- 19) - 132 & counting.( Last win, Lotus, 17/3/13)

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 342 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:05 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7639
Jezza13 wrote:
His punishment was 2 days "community" or "public" service. Call it what you like, I don't care.

Now, how, by any stretch of the imagination, can being forced to attend a motor race and hang out with the stewards while they do their job be construed as performing a "community" or "public" service?

That's a very, very long bow to draw. If his punishment was a 2 day "educational" program or something like that, then fair enough, I could understand why he was made to sit in with the stewards, but community or public service? Come on. That's laughable. We're being played for fools here by the Verstappen camp, Red Bull & the FIA.

What actual community or public service did he perform in Marrakesh anyway? Does anyone know because as far as i'm concerned what he did was definitely not in either of those categories?

Well said


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7798
Location: Belgium
Zoue wrote:
Fiki wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
They used to make them participate in road safety campaigns.

I guess they do not regard Max safe enough!!!
:lol: And they would be right.

Zoue wrote:
yeah I think they missed the point on that one. The punishment was joining the stewards at a race, to see how they made their decisions. They could hardly do it in F1.
I don't agree they could hardly do it in F1; the team bears a responsibility in the conduct of their driver. If Max were to be made to sit out a race and join the stewards as an observer, the Red Bull reserve driver would gladly take Max's place.
What I doubt, however, is whether Max would actually learn something from the experience, that would improve his sportsmanship. Unfortunately, he seems to follow in the footsteps of other overtalented drivers who were never wrong about anything. (And I wouldn't be surprised if sports psychologists were to say that is exactly the attitude required, to reach the top of the sport's earnings ladder.)

Perhaps the FIA might make him spend the second day of his "community service" learning about the rules from Tony-Scott Andrews, provided he would accept the idea.

well one would have to question whether the severity of the offence merited a race ban in that instance. I'm basically talking about the realistic options given the offence in question.
Given the offence in question, I would normally agree. But then I fail to see the relevance between deliberately seeking out a driver after an incident, and seeing the stewards at work. I may have been wrong in believing there was more to the punishment than simply the incident in the weighing room, but the penalty as imposed did seem to point to a more general problem with young Verstappen's conduct on and off the track.

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:05 pm
Posts: 323
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Exediron wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
They used to make them participate in road safety campaigns.

I guess they do not regard Max safe enough!!!

No, Max said he wouldn't do anything humiliating. Exactly why he has a choice in what his punishment is, however, is another matter.


Well, punishment is usually humbling in some way, and normally, one has no choice in what is imposed. Spoiler alert... The "punishment" served to date is worthless. There is absolutely nothing in the duty served so far that will teach this hard-headed teen anything at all.

Yet to be seen is whether such mamby-pamby punishment will only embolden him to be even more hard-headed in future.

_________________
Life-Long F1 Fan from 1965 -- More than 575 Grand Prix recorded since 1982 (all but 3), and counting...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 32646
Jezza13 wrote:
His punishment was 2 days "community" or "public" service. Call it what you like, I don't care.

Now, how, by any stretch of the imagination, can being forced to attend a motor race and hang out with the stewards while they do their job be construed as performing a "community" or "public" service?

That's a very, very long bow to draw. If his punishment was a 2 day "educational" program or something like that, then fair enough, I could understand why he was made to sit in with the stewards, but community or public service? Come on. That's laughable. We're being played for fools here by the Verstappen camp, Red Bull & the FIA.

What actual community or public service did he perform in Marrakesh anyway? Does anyone know because as far as i'm concerned what he did was definitely not in either of those categories?

Good point Verstappen clearly did not perform a community service, maybe they did bow to Verstappen's unwillingness to do certain things?

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 11:06 am
Posts: 7798
Location: Belgium
MB-BOB wrote:
Exediron wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
They used to make them participate in road safety campaigns.

I guess they do not regard Max safe enough!!!

No, Max said he wouldn't do anything humiliating. Exactly why he has a choice in what his punishment is, however, is another matter.


Well, punishment is usually humbling in some way, and normally, one has no choice in what is imposed. Spoiler alert... The "punishment" served to date is worthless. There is absolutely nothing in the duty served so far that will teach this hard-headed teen anything at all.

Yet to be seen is whether such mamby-pamby punishment will only embolden him to be even more hard-headed in future.
Perhaps during his visit it was pointed out to him he no longer is a teen? :D (Sorry, I couldn't resist...)

_________________
Use every man after his desert, and who should scape whipping? Use them after your own honour and dignity.

Maria de Villota - Jules Bianchi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7639
pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
His punishment was 2 days "community" or "public" service. Call it what you like, I don't care.

Now, how, by any stretch of the imagination, can being forced to attend a motor race and hang out with the stewards while they do their job be construed as performing a "community" or "public" service?

That's a very, very long bow to draw. If his punishment was a 2 day "educational" program or something like that, then fair enough, I could understand why he was made to sit in with the stewards, but community or public service? Come on. That's laughable. We're being played for fools here by the Verstappen camp, Red Bull & the FIA.

What actual community or public service did he perform in Marrakesh anyway? Does anyone know because as far as i'm concerned what he did was definitely not in either of those categories?

Good point Verstappen clearly did not perform a community service, maybe they did bow to Verstappen's unwillingness to do certain things?

I'd have him scooping the side of the road just for his "I won't do anything degrading" comments to be honest...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 32646
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
His punishment was 2 days "community" or "public" service. Call it what you like, I don't care.

Now, how, by any stretch of the imagination, can being forced to attend a motor race and hang out with the stewards while they do their job be construed as performing a "community" or "public" service?

That's a very, very long bow to draw. If his punishment was a 2 day "educational" program or something like that, then fair enough, I could understand why he was made to sit in with the stewards, but community or public service? Come on. That's laughable. We're being played for fools here by the Verstappen camp, Red Bull & the FIA.

What actual community or public service did he perform in Marrakesh anyway? Does anyone know because as far as i'm concerned what he did was definitely not in either of those categories?

Good point Verstappen clearly did not perform a community service, maybe they did bow to Verstappen's unwillingness to do certain things?

I'd have him scooping the side of the road just for his "I won't do anything degrading" comments to be honest...

Yeah it's quite noticeable what he can get away with, calling a steward a mongol and the like.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place
2019: Currently 26th

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 11:31 am
Posts: 7639
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
His punishment was 2 days "community" or "public" service. Call it what you like, I don't care.

Now, how, by any stretch of the imagination, can being forced to attend a motor race and hang out with the stewards while they do their job be construed as performing a "community" or "public" service?

That's a very, very long bow to draw. If his punishment was a 2 day "educational" program or something like that, then fair enough, I could understand why he was made to sit in with the stewards, but community or public service? Come on. That's laughable. We're being played for fools here by the Verstappen camp, Red Bull & the FIA.

What actual community or public service did he perform in Marrakesh anyway? Does anyone know because as far as i'm concerned what he did was definitely not in either of those categories?

Good point Verstappen clearly did not perform a community service, maybe they did bow to Verstappen's unwillingness to do certain things?

I'd have him scooping the side of the road just for his "I won't do anything degrading" comments to be honest...

Yeah it's quite noticeable what he can get away with, calling a steward a mongol and the like.

I forgot about that. The fact that he is still young leaves me cold frankly, he is in his 4th year in F1 now, he's hardly a rookie. He should have known (or at worst case scenario be advised) better.

Yeah, definitely scooping the road, at a big city as well!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:53 am
Posts: 7273
Location: Michigan, USA
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
His punishment was 2 days "community" or "public" service. Call it what you like, I don't care.

Now, how, by any stretch of the imagination, can being forced to attend a motor race and hang out with the stewards while they do their job be construed as performing a "community" or "public" service?

That's a very, very long bow to draw. If his punishment was a 2 day "educational" program or something like that, then fair enough, I could understand why he was made to sit in with the stewards, but community or public service? Come on. That's laughable. We're being played for fools here by the Verstappen camp, Red Bull & the FIA.

What actual community or public service did he perform in Marrakesh anyway? Does anyone know because as far as i'm concerned what he did was definitely not in either of those categories?

Good point Verstappen clearly did not perform a community service, maybe they did bow to Verstappen's unwillingness to do certain things?

I'd have him scooping the side of the road just for his "I won't do anything degrading" comments to be honest...

:thumbup:

If someone says they won't do anything degrading and you then give them the lightest community service imaginable, it's pretty obvious where the power lies.

_________________
PICK 10 COMPETITION (4 wins, 15 podiums): 3rd in 2016
TOP THREE CHAMPIONSHIP (No Limit Excedrin Racing): Champions in 2015 & 2018 | 2nd in 2017
AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 2113
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Exediron wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
His punishment was 2 days "community" or "public" service. Call it what you like, I don't care.

Now, how, by any stretch of the imagination, can being forced to attend a motor race and hang out with the stewards while they do their job be construed as performing a "community" or "public" service?

That's a very, very long bow to draw. If his punishment was a 2 day "educational" program or something like that, then fair enough, I could understand why he was made to sit in with the stewards, but community or public service? Come on. That's laughable. We're being played for fools here by the Verstappen camp, Red Bull & the FIA.

What actual community or public service did he perform in Marrakesh anyway? Does anyone know because as far as i'm concerned what he did was definitely not in either of those categories?

Good point Verstappen clearly did not perform a community service, maybe they did bow to Verstappen's unwillingness to do certain things?

I'd have him scooping the side of the road just for his "I won't do anything degrading" comments to be honest...

:thumbup:

If someone says they won't do anything degrading and you then give them the lightest community service imaginable, it's pretty obvious where the power lies.


That's the thing though....It wasn't even community service.

I think it was plain to see in the wording of the FIA press release into the incident that they intended to treat Verstappen in the manner he's become accustomed to.

That press release was about as forceful as being flogged with a wet lettuce leaf. It practically said "We're sorry Max. We really don't want to do this and upset you but we have to do something. Don't worry, we'll be gentle".

I'd have him spending time helping out in hospitals or homeless shelters or something like that. If he feels he's too good to be helping those people, my response would be simple. "Rightio Max. You're refusing to serve your 2 days service as directed, then we're refusing to allow you to participate in the first 2 races of the season. See you in China buddy boy".

Problem with that is, there'd then be lawyers at 10 paces but at least the FIA would actually be applauded for having go and showing they're not going to put up with his continued petulant & egotistical approach to the sport and the people in it.

_________________
Races since last non RB, Merc, Ferrari winner (After Italy- 19) - 132 & counting.( Last win, Lotus, 17/3/13)

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 342 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:52 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:50 am
Posts: 1356
Location: UK
Quote:
That press release was about as forceful as being flogged with a wet lettuce leaf. It practically said "We're sorry Max. We really don't want to do this and upset you but we have to do something. Don't worry, we'll be gentle".


Agree, an example of the FIA showing pathetically weak leadership, however, realistically the FIA don't sanction drivers, teams occasionally, but very weak on drivers. This won't change him expect more belligerence. Great driver but horrible individual.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:47 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 10:02 am
Posts: 2113
Location: Far side of Koozebane
Option or Prime wrote:
Quote:
That press release was about as forceful as being flogged with a wet lettuce leaf. It practically said "We're sorry Max. We really don't want to do this and upset you but we have to do something. Don't worry, we'll be gentle".


Agree, an example of the FIA showing pathetically weak leadership, however, realistically the FIA don't sanction drivers, teams occasionally, but very weak on drivers. This won't change him expect more belligerence. Great driver but horrible individual.


Depends on who the transgressor is it seems.

They had no such issues with weak leadership when they benched Grosjean for a race.

_________________
Races since last non RB, Merc, Ferrari winner (After Italy- 19) - 132 & counting.( Last win, Lotus, 17/3/13)

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 342 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Black_Flag_11 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group