planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:20 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:13 pm 

Well, how do you think F1 all being on pay channels will result for the amount of viewers this year? It is good that Channel 4 are still doing highlights. But I'm just thinking that the viewer numbers will drop significantly. Sky will get more customers so they probably won't care, but it is not good for the sport. I noticed that last year, Sky's NowTV service offered Sky Sports channels just for the months that covered the F1 season for £150. At the time, that wasn't worth it for me, as 50% of the races were live on freeview anyway. And you could buy the other weekend passes for NowTV and save a lot more. However this year, that would be a reasonable offer. But I almost get the feeling they won't offer it, or will bump the price right up because they know they are exclusively live. That will be so irritating if that is the case. I can't easily use cable TV so I have to rely on NowTV, but if they don't do a reasonable offer this year, I may just give up watching as many of them live. I still love watching the sport, but it is both the fact that I think the sky coverage is both poor and really expensive. It just puts me off watching it as often.

If some of channel 4's line up moved to sky, that would be great. I want to hear DC and Brundle back together. They got on so well. Brundle and Crofty don't really sound like best mates and crofty is just awful anyway. I really like Ben Edwards. he makes plenty of mistakes, but sounds passionate about the sport when commentating. Crofty just angrily shouts or goes off topic and starts talking about last nights supper...

I'm glad sky will have Karun Chandhok now. I always liked him. really knows his stuff when he's in the pit lane. Also thought he was excellent when commentating for practice. He would be another good replacement for Crofty.

So, how are you viewers who relied on Channel 4 last year going to watch the races live this year, if you even do? If they don't do this £150 (or less) 9 month deal again, i think i won't bother watching all the races live.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:29 am 

I took the sky offer last year, but still found myself favouring Channel4, even sometimes just waiting for highlights.

I doubt Sky will do a NowTV offer this year, there's little reason for them to. Which is a shame as I'm not prepared to pay £35 a month for NowTV Sport or however much actual sky is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:45 am 

Well, I will end up having to get their £12.99 offer for a week of nowTV each time there is a race weekend. Normally there are around 2 races per month, so that would be around £25. The advertisements Sky have really irritate me. They really do try to hide the terms and conditions. There is that one where you apparently only have to pay for the sports you love. And that is JUST £18 a month. But in the hidden terms, you see that you must be an existing sky customer and already have a package of theirs which already costs over £20 a month. Then that Sky Sports F1 channel adds nearly that same price on top.

I am a bit stuck on what to do. I used to like watching practice, qualifying and the race. Now, I only feel i must see qualifying and the race. Their 24 hour pass won't cover this, and their week offer seems like too much. But the week was always what I had to get. I really like to keep up by watching things live, but I don't think their coverage is good compared to Channel 4. And adding that £12.99 21 times is pretty expensive for coverage that I'm not keen on!

I'll have to seriously hope they do the same offer as last year for £150 or less, or just cut down and watch many of them as highlights.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:17 am 

I moved house in November and we're on a new development that has fibre to every property. As part of my chosen ISP package I get free Sky TV for 18 months (the standard £20 entertainment package), so I can choose to add Sky F1 channel for £18 a month I think. I can stop it again as soon as the season ends so this is the best option for me.

But when my "free" Sky ends after 18 months, I won't be paying £18 on top of the £20 I'll have to pay Sky. So IF (and it's a big if at the moment) I do go the SKy F1 route, it will only be for this year and after that I'll just watch the highlights on C4 (better coverage anyway in my opinion, the presenting team just seem to gel better than the Sky lot.).

It'll be the first time in over 30 years of following F1 that I won't be watching a single race live. And I bet I'm not the only one......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:48 pm 

Don’t know if anyone else finds this, but my viewing habits have completely changed over the past few years, where almost everything I want to watch is at my convenience on catch-up.

The fact that F1 finds itself way behind the curve regarding people’s viewing habits is frustrating, but I’m pretty much at the point where, in the absence of a decent service, I can make do without watching live, so I’ll be content with C4 highlights.

I’m actually looking forward to spending summer weekends out and about rather than stuck in front of the TV anyway (maybe that’s my age though ;-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:26 pm 

Biffa wrote:
Don’t know if anyone else finds this, but my viewing habits have completely changed over the past few years, where almost everything I want to watch is at my convenience on catch-up.

The fact that F1 finds itself way behind the curve regarding people’s viewing habits is frustrating, but I’m pretty much at the point where, in the absence of a decent service, I can make do without watching live, so I’ll be content with C4 highlights.

I’m actually looking forward to spending summer weekends out and about rather than stuck in front of the TV anyway (maybe that’s my age though ;-)

I agree.

I went for Sky's offer last year because it was a great deal, and when you include the extra content outside of the race weekends it was more than worth it for a fan.

However, the lack of on-demand access to this content and the realization that I actually kind of prefer watching F1 on a Sunday evening winding down in preparation for the working week meant I probably didn't make the most of my £150.

I'm interested to see where F1 goes with this F1TV over the top / on demand network.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:57 pm 

Looking at sky's offers now, it is now 14.99 for just 1 week. So if all you want to do is watch qualifying and the race live this year in the UK, just times that by 20. Pretty much exactly £300. That sounds ridiculously expensive. Even the Sky Sports day pass would be getting on for £200 a year for the race and no other f1 sessions. When I first started using sky, i seem to remember the day pass being £5.99 and the week pass certainly was only £10.99. what is it with the prices going up? Or is it just that they have no competition now....

It is so sad, but i feel sky's prices are just putting me off watching F1. They should make things more affordable now they know that they don't have any free to air channels to compete with. It will be incredibly frustrating if they don't do the full season deal for £150 or less like they did last year.
https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Sports/N ... d-p/458845

It was offered early march last year, so lets hope they will do the same.

I know there is the option of using cable, but I can't easily do that where i watch the coverage. While you may get a reasonable deal as a new customer, you will always have that feeling in you that the decent value will not last, and from my experience with sky, cancelling anything is an absolute nightmare. Constantly prompting you to change your mind and purchase it again for several days after by e-mail.

Like Biffa said, I might just have to give up some of the weekends and watch the races on highlights in my own time. At least you can choose when to watch it. But the biggest problem by far with this is keeping away from the internet or news entirely. Won't be very easy to do every time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:16 pm 

I’m really sad about the ability to watch F1 at the moment. Ive been a fan attending live GP’s every year since the 90’s, and ive not missed a GP online or Tv. This year I cant see how I can get to watch most races. I tried Now TV ( the sky weekend package) a couple Of years ago, but the quality was appalling....so what do you do? This is so sad! And I think F1 wil Be the losers for doing this.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:50 pm 

Racechick wrote:
I’m really sad about the ability to watch F1 at the moment. Ive been a fan attending live GP’s every year since the 90’s, and ive not missed a GP online or Tv. This year I cant see how I can get to watch most races. I tried Now TV ( the sky weekend package) a couple Of years ago, but the quality was appalling....so what do you do? This is so sad! And I think F1 wil Be the losers for doing this.

I agree about NowTv being poor quality. I mean Freeview has been at least 1080i on HD channels for nearly 10 years now. And Now TV is a pay service is a maximum of 720p and only this if you use it with compatible equipment. If you use the app for a phone or tablet, it is standard definition! 4k is out now and they are charging silly prices for the absolute minimum of high definition. Even then, I find that nowTV looks dreadful whenever there is traffic. For example, the start of the Canadian grand prix (when more people start viewing) in 2017, the picture went to a total blur for about 2 thirds of the race. You couldn't read any text or anything. I could watch all the races before on freeview in 1080i coming from my 25+ year old TV aerial. This makes me think that it is an absolute joke that an expensive online streaming service looks so much worse and is much more unreliable. Now I believe that their cable TV will be reliable and they 4k coverage will probably look stunning, but the prices for those are absolutely extortionate if you currently only use freeview.

I'm just currently feeling uneasy not knowing if they will do this £150 offer. If they do, I will get it and be able to watch them all live. If they don't, I don't think I will be able to make myself pay for every session, especially since the week passes are £4 more expensive than they used to be. But that will just be so sad. Giving up on the sport I really like purely because of the costs.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:07 am 

streamed the sky ones since it went to half races and generally decent quality even though can be a pain, but part of me was hoping kimi would retire because i dont think i would bother as much. was going to try and wean myself off f1 completely then though not sure if i can. sad really. as usual with these kind of things money talks loudest but i hope they will realise where it is heading and change course. its gonna die when they become electric so at least its a slow death.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:16 pm 

Now TV are advertising F1 (and all the other sport) for £20/month for the first 3 months.

https://www.nowtv.com/watch-f1-online

Will be surprised if they do a season pass.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:51 pm 

You can find someone who has sky and see if you can use their sky login details for the sky go app, strike up a deal and I reckon most people will take up the offer. Sky are not silly though, they use to let 5 devices have access to one person's login details and you could use it on the xbox, now it's gone down to 2 devices and the sky account holder has to pay £5 to watch it on a device like xbox one or ps4. Not too bad if you can find someone willing to do the deal.

Please remove this bit if it's not ok but lots of people connect their laptops to the TV and watch sky go that way, perfect picture and only slightly delayed, sky are clever again and they wont let you connect a tablet, iPad or phone. Laptop is good though.

Theres the obvious other ways which I have never had a problem with either.

2016: 24th place
2017: 4th place
2018: 12th place

Wins: Spain 2016, Canada 2017, Malaysia 2017
Podiums: 2nd Germany 2016, 3rd Mexico 2016, 3rd China 2018, 3rd Japan 2018, 2nd Mexico 2018

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:35 pm 

F1_Ernie wrote:
You can find someone who has sky and see if you can use their sky login details for the sky go app, strike up a deal and I reckon most people will take up the offer. Sky are not silly though, they use to let 5 devices have access to one person's login details and you could use it on the xbox, now it's gone down to 2 devices and the sky account holder has to pay £5 to watch it on a device like xbox one or ps4. Not too bad if you can find someone willing to do the deal.

Please remove this bit if it's not ok but lots of people connect their laptops to the TV and watch sky go that way, perfect picture and only slightly delayed, sky are clever again and they wont let you connect a tablet, iPad or phone. Laptop is good though.

Theres the obvious other ways which I have never had a problem with either.

Yes, I find that very annoying. The limitations of running a nowtv box is ridiculous. I don't have room for a TV in my room so I just have a PC monitor and it only has 1 HDMI port. So I have a 5 way HDMI switch. And i constantly have to unplug and plug my nowTV box or else it says something (can't remember what) that means you are not allowed to watch it this way. I assume that it detects that you have the HDMI cable passing through another device which potentially could be feeding to soemthing else and illigally recording it. But this is an HDMI switch, not multiplier, so that would be impossible. It just means that every time I want to use my NowTV box rather than my PC, I have to go behind my monitor and plug it in directly. This won't be a problem for many, but Sky just try and make everything limiting for you. My tablet also has an HDMI port that works with everything other than when you use NOWTV. What a pain! They charge you so much, and strictly limit what you can do.

With something as simple as my freeview HD box, I can record anything in 1080p on to an external hard drive and then watch it anywhere. NOWTV don't even have a record option. I don't know if it is going to be worth paying for all this is i hate it this much! :lol:

The £20 per month deal isn't soemthign I would go for. It is the sort of thing that you must cancel or else you will get charged the normal price again. And cancelling is the worst thing I've had to do with NowTV. Constant questions you get asked about the reasoning for this. Reminders by email about why you should change your mind and buy it again. They boast about how you can easily cancel any time, then you find out it is a nightmare and they just encourage you to come back. I'm really unimpressed with nowtv.

If they do the £150 deal, I will get that as that won't require constant passes and it is reasonable value. If they don't offer that and the week passes are £14.99 then I think that is silly given they used to be a good deal cheaper. I will probably ether just watch the races like and watch qualifying on Channel 4, or decide to watch many weekends as highlights both days.

Oh dear i sound grumpy and miserable. Well that is what I think of the current nowTV and Sky deals...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:39 pm 

I'd be surprised if they do the £150 deal this year, I wouldn't if I had exclusivity - I'd be directing all my advertising and marketing at recruiting new Sky customers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:44 am 

In the UK, I just noticed that if you already have Sky TV (but don't subscribe to any Sky Sports at present, like me) they are offering Sky Sports F1 channel for £10 a month, price guaranteed for two years......

That's actually very tempting.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:26 am 

SteveW wrote:
In the UK, I just noticed that if you already have Sky TV (but don't subscribe to any Sky Sports at present, like me) they are offering Sky Sports F1 channel for £10 a month, price guaranteed for two years......

That's actually very tempting.

Basically £120 for each year then. But I'm not sure what it costs to be a sky customer. I assume it will be more than this offer is per month. It will probably work out about the same for me as buying 20 week passes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:34 am 

SKY SPORTS F1 HD - TOTAL TV PACKAGE £21

I quit sky in November as prices would not stop rising and was paying approx. £90p/m for broadband and F1. Not watching any other channels.
Today I saw Sky Sports F1 HD online for £10/month... the ad said I needed to pay £22/month as well for Entertainment package (does not interest me), so £32 for F1... not bad, called them, explained why I left... really nice guy on the phone offered it to me for just £21 a month! I do have broadband with them, so total payment to Sky will be £51 for Fibre Max broadband plus a new box and F1 (plus I have saved £60/month for 3 months since the season ended and I cancelled their TV service so £180!). Would cost more to use Now TV and then you don't have any ability to record races for watching later if real life intervenes or buffering stops your pleasure.

Chuffed!

Call them guys - there are deals if you get lucky.

PS - Still annoyed we have to pay Sky, bring back free to air!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:46 pm 

Hamilton is right to be shocked by the terrible viewing figures in the UK.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/hamilton- ... g-figures/

F1 needs to be a 'Must Watch' sport to draw in fans and viewers. It has become a boring sport IMO compared to the many others available and hasn't moved with the times.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:54 pm 

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2019/02/now-tv ... on-ticket/

£195 ... will have to think about this one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:44 pm 

£195 up front for 9 months of streaming ALL Sky Sports channels
vs
£252 paid in 12 instalments of £21, giving me :
- F1 in HD, but no other sports
- Sky Entertainment Package
- 12 months service, not just the 9.
- No mucking about with streaming (but still can do that with Sky Go app if I wish)
- Pause, rewind, on-demand services.
- New box for recording, etc.. so I can record the likes of Melbourne and watch it at 9am rather than drag myself out of bed super early (which has been the norm for the past 10 years!)

Pros and Cons of both I guess.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:07 pm 

With IndyCar going to Sky, if I had the money to do so i'd probably be resubscribing to the F1 channel. I've wanted to make a proper effort to watch Indy for about 2 seasons now but when you can only (totally legally) stream and not record the races, the timezone differences make it almost impossible. With it going to Sky it'd be a doddle.

Wish I still had the legacy deal for the F1 channel, lost it when I moved house and had to get Virgin for a bit :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:57 pm 

babararacucudada wrote:
Hamilton is right to be shocked by the terrible viewing figures in the UK.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/hamilton- ... g-figures/

F1 needs to be a 'Must Watch' sport to draw in fans and viewers. It has become a boring sport IMO compared to the many others available and hasn't moved with the times.

It's a bit misleading to compare the 2008 finale - Hamilton the wonderkid's first title, with 2018 - the acknowledged no 1's 5th title. Of course there was more excitement around his first title, particularly as he'd lost it dramatically in 2007. Now he makes winning titles seem easy. A tribute to his and Mercedes's mastery perhaps, but not a boon to viewing figures.

I don't have Sky, so must make do with C4's extended highlights, which except for the adverts, aren't bad. It's the 3-4 hour delay that's most annoying, but I suppose Sky have to have some USP. I see they're charging £10 per month this year. Wasn't it £12 last year? If so they're not happy with the viewing figures either.. That's not bad value if you already have Sky, but I don't, so it would be £30 per month extra minimum. Maybe if Hamilton wins no 6 it'll be cheaper still next year!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:19 am 

what is wrong with F1 on pay? Premier League is Pay, most others as well. NHL for most part is pay in Canada and US. I just don't see the problem in UK?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:22 am 

AstoriaisBACK wrote:
what is wrong with F1 on pay? Premier League is Pay, most others as well. NHL for most part is pay in Canada and US. I just don't see the problem in UK?

The problem in the UK is that I think they aren't used to paying for sports coverage. In the US we're used to paying for everything.

For comparison purposes, if anyone is interested: I have a streaming TV service and no traditional cable connection. I pay about $700/year for gigabit fiber (cheaper than the national average), and about $500/year for my streaming TV including premium sports channels and on-demand stuff if I want it. I then pay an extra $100/year for F1 TV (although if they haven't added Smart TV or Roku coverage by the end of the year I intend to drop that), and a little over $100/year for NHL.TV so I can watch my favorite team if they're not on national TV.

The only part that seems unfair is Sky F1 coverage costing more than F1 TV, since F1 TV is basically the same thing without the added frills.

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:03 am 

Exediron wrote:
AstoriaisBACK wrote:

The problem in the UK is that I think they aren't used to paying for sports coverage. In the US we're used to paying for everything.

For comparison purposes, if anyone is interested: I have a streaming TV service and no traditional cable connection. I pay about $700/year for gigabit fiber (cheaper than the national average), and about $500/year for my streaming TV including premium sports channels and on-demand stuff if I want it. I then pay an extra $100/year for F1 TV (although if they haven't added Smart TV or Roku coverage by the end of the year I intend to drop that), and a little over $100/year for NHL.TV so I can watch my favorite team if they're not on national TV.

The only part that seems unfair is Sky F1 coverage costing more than F1 TV, since F1 TV is basically the same thing without the added frills.

I get that and do something similar however in UK they are paying for Premier league now and from what I can tell based upon my friends/coworkers clients they all pay it with no complaints. Just don't seethe huge issue.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:08 am 

Exediron wrote:
AstoriaisBACK wrote:

The issue I have with the Pay TV thing is that it's basically absolutely atrocious value for money & they hold you for ransom if you want to watch, in this case, F1.

I don't know what the structures are like in other countries, but in Australia, to be able to watch F1 on Pay TV, which is now the only platform it can be viewed on as we're currently deemed not worthy to receive the F1TV coverage, is to outlay about $50 - $60 /mth to Foxtel for the coverage.

We can't pick & choose what channels we receive, we have to buy packages. To get the F1 coverage, we first have to buy the Entertainment package which comprises, among others, of 45 channels of kids channels, news channels, music channels & Lifestyle channels, mostly consisting of pointless shows repeated at least twice per day. There's no choice but to buy this channel & you pay $29 /mth.

You then have to buy the sports package which is another $29/mth to be able to watch F1. So that's $720/yr to watch 21 races, or, $34 / race.

I have Foxtel but I despise having it. If we could pick the channels we wanted and pay a fee for that then I still wouldn't like it but I'd be kinda ok with that, but to have to buy pointless channels with shows that sell commemorative tea towels 24hr's a day, or Hannah Montana marathons, or 24hr news, or re-runs of On The Busses & Dad's Army, that i'll never watch, just so I can watch F1, to me is pure legalised blackmail.

How many people would walk into a shop to buy a toaster only to be told that to get the toaster, you had to buy a cutlery set, a wok & an out of date bottle of milk?

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 342 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:17 am 

with the advent of all these streaming services now we can get ala cart programming I think this is most countries. right?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:30 pm 

I've started to think it's a cultural thing; people can barely get through a movie these days without getting bored or checking their phones or seeing what else is on Netflix. Everything is on-demand.

Only the die-hard fans will watch F1 continuously, but it's almost impossible to dissect how and why the viewing figures have declined. What's important is that F1 doesn't constantly dilute itself in the pursuit of attracting more 'casual' viewers. It's a purist sport.

What annoyed me most about Sky is that when it was free in 2012, I recorded all the races and in particular wanted to keep the Valencia race (Schumi's last podium). However, from 2013 it became part of the sports/HD package so I decided not to pay extra and watched the BBC coverage instead.

Once that was done, not only did Sky block the channel (as was agreed), but went and blocked my 2012 recordings too. How nice of them to give me something for free and then snatch it away when I wouldn't pay for something else.

Now I just watch through my usual means (I shall divule no more) and will continue to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:02 pm 

Will the BBC still do live radio coverage? I have multiple options to watch for free on several channels here in Switzerland, by most are German, French or Italian. Used to use the radio for the audio, but mostly watch live in German, then watch the highlights later.

I am sure it would be possible to get the German channels on Satellite in the UK.

Did consider F1TV, but too much for me (not working at the moment) and you only can watch live on one device at a time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:06 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
What's important is that F1 doesn't constantly dilute itself in the pursuit of attracting more 'casual' viewers. It's a purist sport.

Agree 100%, and this is a pet peeve of mine in many, many different fields, not just F1. When you start focusing on the casual viewers, that's when a sport, game, or series starts to die. Casual fans have no loyalty; they will drop in and out, but their interest in anything is anchored by the dedicated fan base who made it big in the first place. No dedicated fan base, no product.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:26 pm 

AstoriaisBACK wrote:
with the advent of all these streaming services now we can get ala cart programming I think this is most countries. right?

That is certainly the future, but Sky's business model is still very much stuck in the pre-Netflix era where the channels are grouped into large packages and you pay a large monthly sum for each package, the majority of which consists of channels that you will never watch. Paying for Sky Sports is hard to justify financially unless you are interested in the other sports that they broadcast.

The other complication with the UK is that we are already forced to pay for a TV licence (about £145 per year) just for having a TV. This funds the "free-to-air" BBC.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:27 pm 

Exediron wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:
What's important is that F1 doesn't constantly dilute itself in the pursuit of attracting more 'casual' viewers. It's a purist sport.

Agree 100%, and this is a pet peeve of mine in many, many different fields, not just F1. When you start focusing on the casual viewers, that's when a sport, game, or series starts to die. Casual fans have no loyalty; they will drop in and out, but their interest in anything is anchored by the dedicated fan base who made it big in the first place. No dedicated fan base, no product.

Whilst I do agree to some extent with the above, I have to say that one of F1's biggest issue is the focus on VIP/corporate customers. This is the reason they now race at circuits which were built quickly and often attended by few. They bring in mega bucks from sponsors, royal families etc, but the real fans have little interest.

Some of the great circuits are now lost.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:47 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
Exediron wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

Whilst I do agree to some extent with the above, I have to say that one of F1's biggest issue is the focus on VIP/corporate customers. This is the reason they now race at circuits which were built quickly and often attended by few. They bring in mega bucks from sponsors, royal families etc, but the real fans have little interest.

VIPs and corporate customers are quite definitely casual fans by my definition. They don't care about the sport, they just care about being seen somewhere glamorous.

That said, I'm not in agreement with the opinion that the new tracks are all bad. Some of the newer tracks that were financed by dubious deals and oil money actually produce good racing (Bahrain and Baku, mostly).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:08 pm 

£195 for the year? It was cheaper than that last year, wasn't it? I can't really afford that all in one go so I am not sure what I'll be doing going forwards this year.

So annoyed that this is life for the next 5 or so years.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:23 pm 

j man wrote:
AstoriaisBACK wrote:

That is certainly the future, but Sky's business model is still very much stuck in the pre-Netflix era where the channels are grouped into large packages and you pay a large monthly sum for each package, the majority of which consists of channels that you will never watch. Paying for Sky Sports is hard to justify financially unless you are interested in the other sports that they broadcast.

The other complication with the UK is that we are already forced to pay for a TV licence (about £145 per year) just for having a TV. This funds the "free-to-air" BBC.

This is my biggest problem about the price. I guess they charge you more because they have an incredible 11 channels to chose from. Who on earth would buy a 24 hour pass and benefit from the fact there are 11 different Channels? A 24 hour pass isn't enough for me to watch just qualifying and the race. The other thing that I can't stand is how much Sky boast about the amount of options you have of what to watch. I'd say only 8 of the channels are relevant. Nobody would pay for just news channel. The channel with a mix of different sports seems totally pointless to me. Just flick between the channels and you have a mix rather than just showing the same sort of thing you have seen on another channel. The main event is the most pointless of all. If whatever sport is the main event, watch it on that sports channel. I don't see the purpose of this other than to make the sports package a bigger bundle than it needs to be. Which to sky may be good as they can make it sound better than is is, which will get them money I suppose.....

Even the F1 Channel is a disappointment to me. All I want is practice, qualifying and the race (although practice with crofty i may be happy to skip). I don't need all this other stuff. And what there is of it, is not worth paying for. They call Sky sports F1 "The Home of Formula 1" and they repeat that again and again and it too often doesn't change much. Then the rest of it is often just repeating the same races several times a day. There seem to be only a few interesting programs worth watching, if you have gone for the offer. Every time I've gone for the week nowtv pass, the only thing that has been of interest are the f1 sessions.

I just don't understand how anyone who just wants to watch F1 could consider this good value. They really should just give options to watch a particular event as a one off for a very reasonable amount of money. Hang on why am i saying this, they are trying to make money!

It is just so frustrating. They will get more money than before, that is for sure, but F1 will get significantly less viewers, from the UK anyway.

It may be reasonable value to get the month deal if you like several sports, but I've always been really into F1, but only watching the parts i mentioned. All the other stuff you must get to watch what i want makes it really bad value for money. I do wonder why I bother. I may end up just watching a limited amount of them live and just watch the rest on Channel 4 highlights.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:50 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
I've started to think it's a cultural thing; people can barely get through a movie these days without getting bored or checking their phones or seeing what else is on Netflix. Everything is on-demand.

Only the die-hard fans will watch F1 continuously, but it's almost impossible to dissect how and why the viewing figures have declined. What's important is that F1 doesn't constantly dilute itself in the pursuit of attracting more 'casual' viewers. It's a purist sport.

What annoyed me most about Sky is that when it was free in 2012, I recorded all the races and in particular wanted to keep the Valencia race (Schumi's last podium). However, from 2013 it became part of the sports/HD package so I decided not to pay extra and watched the BBC coverage instead.

Once that was done, not only did Sky block the channel (as was agreed), but went and blocked my 2012 recordings too. How nice of them to give me something for free and then snatch it away when I wouldn't pay for something else.

Now I just watch through my usual means (I shall divule no more) and will continue to do so.

This is what really annoys me about "smart" devices that record things. Basically, you can't trust anything that requires updates or internet connection to let you keep and watch your recordings. I downloaded the races and qualifying from Iplayer on the BBC throughout all of 2015. When F1 moved to Channel 4, I recorded them all on my freeview HD box. This device was incredibly cheap. Only just over £20. It has a USB port and records onto an external hard drive. From 2016 to now, I have recorded every single qualifying session and race. I only have kept the qualifying of the last 2 years unless it was very exciting. But as it is now on my own hard drive in my pc (which I also back up) I know I will always be able to watch it. It just seems so silly that these expensive devices that cost a lot in the first place, cost a lot every month, youoften can only enjoy them at the time. Then when something changes, you possibly loose everything you have recorded. I think I remember somebody telling me that when they switched their cable TV box with the same branded one (just a newer version) It wouldn't allow them to play any of the old recordings. I think they also said that it also was no longer supported on the old box. This is by far the worst thing about smart devices, they stop working. Things that never need updates don't have this problem.
I'm so pleased that I recorded F1 the way I have. I have all the races of the last 4 years and at least half the qualifying sessions in HD recorded from Freeview.

Whenever I'm unsure about something on this forum, I basically find the race stored on my PC and find the exact moment I'm after before I post :lol: Very useful for evidence. From what you have said, It just puts me off getting a longer term deal with sky. If I record things, I expect to be able to always watch them. I think I've been spoilt by the great way me freeview box works :-P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:43 pm 

This may have already been mentioned as I confess I've not read through every post in this thread.

Anyway, If you are already a Sky customer but do not have F1 or the entire Sports package, Sky are offering the F1 channel for £10 a month instead of the usual £18. They guarantee the price will remain fixed for 2 years.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:45 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:
Exediron wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

VIPs and corporate customers are quite definitely casual fans by my definition. They don't care about the sport, they just care about being seen somewhere glamorous.

That said, I'm not in agreement with the opinion that the new tracks are all bad. Some of the newer tracks that were financed by dubious deals and oil money actually produce good racing (Bahrain and Baku, mostly).

I didn't say all the new circuits are bad, it's just that they have often been built in locations where the sport knows they will attract mega bucks sponsorship and corporate guests, not where they believe thousands of true motorsport fans will be able to attend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:29 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:
This may have already been mentioned as I confess I've not read through every post in this thread.

Anyway, If you are already a Sky customer but do not have F1 or the entire Sports package, Sky are offering the F1 channel for £10 a month instead of the usual £18. They guarantee the price will remain fixed for 2 years.

I've heard crofty in an advert on the radio at work advertise this offer. Hearing him 30 times a day puts me totally off :lol: Anyway, this would be reasonable if it was just for the months when F1 was on. The other 2 or 3 months, I wouldn't want to be paying anything to sky what so ever. And given you must be a customer to start with, that puts me off even more.

I'm feeling the excitement of this season, then remembering that I'm going to struggle to find anything that is worth what it costs. And if I give up with some of it, it could make me loose interest totally in the end. I don't know if sky are actually to blame for being exclusively live. I'm not sure if something else could have been done differently in the past to avoid this happening. But I can see only being on pay TV is going to make an awful lot of people stop watching, then likely resulting in them loosing interest in the sport.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:41 pm 

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Offers-V ... d-p/491917

I'm getting really confused about this offer. Ok, it is £45 more than the £150 deal last year, but I think that is about the best I will be able to get. But why does it not seem to be available anywhere?