planetf1.com

It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:50 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Banana Man wrote:
Katherine Legge has apparently applied for next season’s WS, I really don’t get that one. She will be 40 and we’ll beyond the official criteria of giving young women a chance in motorsport.

If she just wants the £500k to pay for another year somewhere else, I guess it makes sense from her POV but then what.

That is odd. Legge is a class act who has achieved so much already, surely at this stage her career isn't about going up against teenagers trying to get a break? If anything she in a position to be helping with their careers! She's done Formula Ford, NASCAR, Champ, Formula E, DTM... hardly someone in need of a break.

If it's just for the ££ that's not good and hopefully the selection process will pick that up. I can't see how someone like her fits the bill with what W Series is trying to achieve? And if she did compete and went on to win I don't think it would reflect well on the series.

Huge respect for Legge, but I don't get this at all.

THAT is precisely WHY she should do it. If she spanks the field it would oust the series as a farce, proving the drivers simply do not have the stuff to make it into F1. Hell, most of them this past "season" didn't do much against the boys in other series, yet those same boys that beat them fair and square didn't get the opportunity to showcase themselves on a stage as large as these women got. And that's not fair in my eyes. Afterall, the purpose of ALL Jr. series is to provide opportunities to DRIVERS, period!… Not female drivers, not handicap drivers, not White, Black, Asian, Hispanic, Indian, neither poor, nor rich drivers… just DRIVERS and nothing else. For women to be GIVEN a racing series just so they can "have a platform" was wrong to begin with and is just one more brain fart conjured up to make money under the guise of appealing to the Recreational Outrage movement we're stuck in these days.

Guys like Leclerc, Verstappen, Vettel, Hamilton, Massa, Alonso, Schumacher, Montoya, Button, Raikkonen, Bottas ALL had the exact same chance of standing out coming up through the ranks these women all had, and it was slim to none and it was only thanks to their genuine talent and ability that they EARNED a shot at F1 and beyond, but countless others who were simply not of equal ability didn't make it, and that's perfectly ok with no need to create a special series where the lesser talented could showcase what else?… But their lesser talent!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:51 am 

So the list of applicants has been formally released for the W Series 2020 season.

https://au.motorsport.com/w-series/news/legge-eaton-agren-2020-applicants/4538892/

Looks like:

* They got 40 applicants in total for the 2020 season. In 2019, the inaugural W series registered 61 applicants.
* All the top 12 finishers in 2019, including the winner, Jamie Chadwick, will be backing up & thus get automatic entry to the season.
* All of the bottom 8 have re-applied & will have to go back through the test & qualification process
* 13 new applicants will attend the Almeria test session including unsuccessful 2019 applicants Alya Agren, Bruna Tomaselli, Courtney Crone & Michelle Gatting.

So in summary, No-one from the 2019 season looks to have caught the eye of F3 championship teams as they're all rolling up again for a 2nd tilt. The 2020 W series has garnered 21 fewer applicants overall than the 2019 season & of those, there are only 9 applicants who did not go though the qualification process for the 2019 season.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 351 trophies available, 24 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:55 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
So the list of applicants has been formally released for the W Series 2020 season.

https://au.motorsport.com/w-series/news/legge-eaton-agren-2020-applicants/4538892/

Looks like:

* They got 40 applicants in total for the 2020 season. In 2019, the inaugural W series registered 61 applicants.
* All the top 12 finishers in 2019, including the winner, Jamie Chadwick, will be backing up & thus get automatic entry to the season.
* All of the bottom 8 have re-applied & will have to go back through the test & qualification process
* 13 new applicants will attend the Almeria test session including unsuccessful 2019 applicants Alya Agren, Bruna Tomaselli, Courtney Crone & Michelle Gatting.

So in summary, No-one from the 2019 season looks to have caught the eye of F3 championship teams as they're all rolling up again for a 2nd tilt. The 2020 W series has garnered 21 fewer applicants overall than the 2019 season & of those, there are only 9 applicants who did not go though the qualification process for the 2019 season.

Hold up, have the drivers with the guaranteed spots actually confirmed they are returning? I read that us just they have a place if they want it

So do we know which of those have confirmed they will be returning?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:31 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:

Looks like:

And there in lies the root of my issue with this series. Teams must know what times and performance figures they're looking for in order to identify an elite talent and it seems none of the competitors have ticked any of the boxes for any teams to consider even giving anyone a test.

From that list however, I'm very curious to see how Courtney Crone does. She has a really interesting mix of disciplines she's competed in, and the most interesting is the Midget racing series and that has historically been a prime breeding ground for countless all-time greats. That Turning right to go left and utilizing the throttle to help control steering is something to behold and the pinpoint accuracy and reflexes required to do it is nothing short of impressive.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:46 pm 

DOLOMITE wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:

Looks like:

Hold up, have the drivers with the guaranteed spots actually confirmed they are returning? I read that us just they have a place if they want it

So do we know which of those have confirmed they will be returning?

Well I could be wrong but i'd assume that, even though they were guaranteed a spot on the grid they'd have still had to complete an application. They're also being listed in the article as " 2020 W Series Contenders" so would it not be unreasonable to think that as it stands today they all intend to return?

Obviously that's not to say the situation won't change but as of the time of the release of the article, the way I read it was that they all intended to return.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 351 trophies available, 24 won

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:54 pm 

Well Chadwick is saying she wants more from Williams and Honestly, Williams should pit her against Kubika to see who does better.
If she can't hang with a diminished version of Kubika, the writing will be on the wall for her and the W series as a whole.
And if she should happen to beat him and prove competitive with Russel, I'd gladly concede and say I was wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:27 am 

F1 MERCENARY wrote:
Well Chadwick is saying she wants more from Williams and Honestly, Williams should pit her against Kubika to see who does better.
If she can't hang with a diminished version of Kubika, the writing will be on the wall for her and the W series as a whole.
And if she should happen to beat him and prove competitive with Russel, I'd gladly concede and say I was wrong.

I'm just wondering what more can Williams do for her unless it means placing her in the Prema F3 team because she can't race the Williams F1 car, she doesn't have the necessary super license points.

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:44 am 

That’s the other issue. Lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:00 am 

pokerman wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

I'm just wondering what more can Williams do for her unless it means placing her in the Prema F3 team because she can't race the Williams F1 car, she doesn't have the necessary super license points.

Question with that though is what'd be in it for Prema?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:25 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Money from Williams.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:39 am 

pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Money from Williams.

More than what they'd get off Merc, RB, Ferrari or Renault for taking one of their drivers?

Prema also have a championship to win too. I know they're miles ahead of anyone else but would they risk hiring a driver with Chadwick's record when they could probably get a better credentialed driver & get more money for doing so?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:57 pm 

Jezza13 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
F1 MERCENARY wrote:

Money from Williams.

More than what they'd get off Merc, RB, Ferrari or Renault for taking one of their drivers?

Prema also have a championship to win too. I know they're miles ahead of anyone else but would they risk hiring a driver with Chadwick's record when they could probably get a better credentialed driver & get more money for doing so?

Prema run Sean Geleal in F2 do I need to say much more?

Also the money required for F3 is not exactly massive I would have thought for a F1 team?

As it stands Williams alliance with Jamie Chadwick doesn't seem to go much beyond some kind of promotional angle for Williams themselves?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:05 pm 

Well, we'll soon know how good Chadwick is, she's been nominated as one of the four drivers in contention for the Autosport Awards this season, along with Enaam Ahmed (Japanese F3), Johnathan Hoggard (BRDC F3) and Ayrton Simmons (BRDC F3)

If she beats them, perhaps the naysayers will STFU

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:13 pm 

Battle Far wrote:
Well, we'll soon know how good Chadwick is, she's been nominated as one of the four drivers in contention for the Autosport Awards this season, along with Enaam Ahmed (Japanese F3), Johnathan Hoggard (BRDC F3) and Ayrton Simmons (BRDC F3)

How will her winning that mean we know how good she is? Shes not a unknown quantity anyway. We have seen her perform across a variety of series for a few years now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:31 pm 

Battle Far wrote:

Do they have a race-off or something?

AUTOSPORT GP PREDICTOR: 2017 USA & P-F1 Champion | #2 in the world in 2017

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:15 am 

Battle Far wrote:

In today's political and sociological climate I'd say it's a given she'll get the award. That doesn't necessarily mean she isn't the best of them though.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:36 am 

Covalent wrote:
Battle Far wrote:

In today's political and sociological climate I'd say it's a given she'll get the award. That doesn't necessarily mean she isn't the best of them though.

I was looking for a way to say that very thing Covalent without coming across all misogynistic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:07 am 

Jezza13 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Battle Far wrote:

I was looking for a way to say that very thing Covalent without coming across all misogynistic.

Oh thanks :lol:

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:12 am 

Personally I don’t care if she wins the Autosport awards, Nobel Peace Prize and the Eurovision Song Contest. Unless she actually does something of note in a car, it won’t mean anything.

Awards are just gestures of appreciation. Some are earned, some are political.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:35 am 

Covalent wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
Covalent wrote:
Battle Far wrote:

Oh thanks :lol:

Nah i'm not saying you did but then again i'm probably on the wrong side of the social fence to be able to make that call.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:21 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
Personally I don’t care if she wins the Autosport awards, Nobel Peace Prize and the Eurovision Song Contest. Unless she actually does something of note in a car, it won’t mean anything.

Awards are just gestures of appreciation. Some are earned, some are political.

I always thought the Autosport Awards were just a desperate attempt by them and Silverstones blue blazer brigade to get a few relevant drivers to turn up for their annual dinner. Isn't that why we have the annual tweets by the likes of Croft, Warwick, Brundle, etc. whinging about Hamilton's lack of respect for the F1 establishment because he invariably gives it a miss?

I see theirs even talk about Chadwick being nominated for a BBC Sports Award. Where she stands a good chance given her social background and attendance at the same private schools as those making the awards

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:22 pm 

Inappropriate post removed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:39 pm 

Exediron wrote:
Battle Far wrote:

Do they have a race-off or something?

"The four will now undertake fitness and simulator assessments before a two-day test at Silverstone in various machinery, including a Formula Two car. The winner will be announced in December."