planetf1.com

It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:54 am

All times are UTC


Forum rules


Please read the forum rules



Post new topic Reply to topic

Which driver will win the Alfa Romeo TMW vote in 2020?
Poll ended at Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:46 pm
Kimi Raikkonen 86%  86%  [ 12 ]
Antonio Giovinazzi 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 3449
Thread #3 of 10 takes us onto Alfa Romeo. The 2019 TMW vote at Alfa was the second most lopsided out of any of those that lasted the full 21 races, with only George Russell's dominance at Williams bettering Kimi Raikkonen's result against Italian rookie Antonio Giovinazzi. When all was said and done, Kimi secured 84% of the vote over the season and took 18 of the 21 TMW wins.

Now some would argue that such a result wasn't a completely true reflection of their relative performances. Indeed, Frederic Vassuer recently said that Giovinazzi was unfortunate that his own upturn in performance coincided with the team heading in the opposite direction; in other words, Kimi made hay while the sun was shining. There are some statistics to back that up - the qualifying head-to-head was pretty close, with Kimi beating Antonio on 10 occasions compared to 9, and having an average gap across the season of just .005 seconds (according to Racefans statistics, anyway), and Giovinazzi actually out-qualified Kimi in five of the last seven races. It was on Sunday where Kimi was typically stronger, which isn't a huge surprise given the gulf in experience. Of course, all of that is to not ignore the fact that Vassuer also confessed Giovinazzi's F1 career was in jeopardy after his crash at Spa, and that had he not rebounded with a good result at Monza that he might not have even still been on the grid this year. So while he was cut some slack, he doesn't exactly have a long leash heading into the new season.

Interestingly, the big pressure for Giovinazzi in 2020 might not come from Kimi but rather from Ferrari's stable of youngsters, with Shwartzman, Armstrong, Ilott and Schumacher all hoping to be in the mix for the F2 title. Should one of them live up to that billing then Giovinazzi is going to need some standout performances of his own to have a hope of keeping that seat, which will mean he cannot find himself 18-3 down to Kimi at the end of 2020. The question is can he get closer with a year of F1 experience? And if he can, how much closer can he get? Or will 2020 see Kimi continue to dominate and potentially bring an end to Giovinazzi's time in F1 after just two seasons? And will Kimi ever actually retire or is he going to end up racing against Jos Verstappen's grandkids?!

2019 Result
Raikkonen 84% - 16% Giovinazzi (18-3)
88% of votes pre-season votes correctly predicted Raikkonen would triumph

2020 Prediction Results
Haas: Kevin Magnussen 71% - 29% Romain Grosjean
Williams: George Russell 95% - 5% Nicholas Latifi

_________________
Pick 10 | 1st x3, 2nd x3, 3rd x8
2019: 11th | 2018: 5th | 2017: 6th | 2016: 8th | 2015: 2nd | 2014: 15th | 2013: 17th | 2012: 11th


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16680
I'm going to go against what I think will be the grain here and vote for Giovinazzi. He improved greatly in the second half of the season and I think this will be Kimi's last year and drivers usually tail off quite badly in there last season.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33734
I'm going for Kimi again even though I think that Giovinazzi will improve this year and he's already able to match Kimi in qualifying, I'm just not convinced about him come race day whilst Kimi is a steady hand, however this is another pick I might get wrong.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:35 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:14 am
Posts: 1473
I'm going to go Kimi because of his experience. My expectation is that Alfa Romeo won't be scoring many points this year and it'll be Kimi's experience that gets them when they are on offer, although I do agree with what mikey says about it being his last season which may give Giovinazzi a chance.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33734
JN23 wrote:
I'm going to go Kimi because of his experience. My expectation is that Alfa Romeo won't be scoring many points this year and it'll be Kimi's experience that gets them when they are on offer, although I do agree with what mikey says about it being his last season which may give Giovinazzi a chance.

I don't think that would affect Kimi, he's not a driver affected by emotion like we saw at Ferrari when he was let go, that's why he's called the iceman after all, and it's not because of his love for Magnums. :)

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16680
pokerman wrote:
JN23 wrote:
I'm going to go Kimi because of his experience. My expectation is that Alfa Romeo won't be scoring many points this year and it'll be Kimi's experience that gets them when they are on offer, although I do agree with what mikey says about it being his last season which may give Giovinazzi a chance.

I don't think that would affect Kimi, he's not a driver affected by emotion like we saw at Ferrari when he was let go, that's why he's called the iceman after all, and it's not because of his love for Magnums. :)


I think we have seen him drop off when he's been unmotivated before. Noticeably when he wasn't getting paid in the back half of 2013.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:30 pm
Posts: 33734
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
JN23 wrote:
I'm going to go Kimi because of his experience. My expectation is that Alfa Romeo won't be scoring many points this year and it'll be Kimi's experience that gets them when they are on offer, although I do agree with what mikey says about it being his last season which may give Giovinazzi a chance.

I don't think that would affect Kimi, he's not a driver affected by emotion like we saw at Ferrari when he was let go, that's why he's called the iceman after all, and it's not because of his love for Magnums. :)


I think we have seen him drop off when he's been unmotivated before. Noticeably when he wasn't getting paid in the back half of 2013.

He supposedly damaged his back but yes I guess not getting paid might do that to you.

_________________
PF1 Pick 10 Competition

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:13 pm
Posts: 16680
pokerman wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
pokerman wrote:
JN23 wrote:
I'm going to go Kimi because of his experience. My expectation is that Alfa Romeo won't be scoring many points this year and it'll be Kimi's experience that gets them when they are on offer, although I do agree with what mikey says about it being his last season which may give Giovinazzi a chance.

I don't think that would affect Kimi, he's not a driver affected by emotion like we saw at Ferrari when he was let go, that's why he's called the iceman after all, and it's not because of his love for Magnums. :)


I think we have seen him drop off when he's been unmotivated before. Noticeably when he wasn't getting paid in the back half of 2013.

He supposedly damaged his back but yes I guess not getting paid might do that to you.


I don't buy the back thing at all. I just think he told the team to stuff it and who can blame him tbf. The point is even Kimi looses form when his heart isn't 100% in it.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mercedes-Benz, mikeyg123 and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group