planetf1.com

It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:02 pm 

MistaVega23 wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Nice list Scouseknight, I may check some of these over the Xmas break.

Fun fact; I was watching the awesome Michael Caine in "Harry Brown" the other day and I recognised not one, not two, but THREE Games Of Thrones actors there! If you haven't watched it, I thoroughly recommend it, it paints London a bit bleak, but it is a nice little gem of a movie.

I watched it last weekend - forgot how good it was! (Although I'm not a GoT fan - sorry)

Ah, glad we agree, it was a good movie. So the barman, the police chief and Caine's best mate, all main/big characters in GOT!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:37 pm 

Anyone want to share their views on The Rise of Skywalker?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:09 am 

JN23 wrote:

It's equally bad or good as the other Disney SW movies, depends on your preference.
For me; equally bad.

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:29 pm 

Covalent wrote:
JN23 wrote:

It's equally bad or good as the other Disney SW movies, depends on your preference.
For me; equally bad.

Watched it last night. Oh my, I liked a few things, but other things were just so cheesy/wrong, clearly to sell merchandise and Disney rides...

I'll try and mention a few:

Spoiler (click to show)

I also have my theory for the future:

Spoiler (click to show)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:15 pm 

ASTONISHING!

Single camera scenes that go on forever and no need for endless drone shots of landscapes. You live the film as the main two characters. I don't get close to tears in movies very easily, but I came close in this. Brilliantly moving with the trench scene near the end, (No spoilers coming up.) a real moment of OMG. The World Wars really were truly as bad as we're all told it is and we must never let this be forgotten.

If you watch nothing else at the cinema this year, watch this.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:27 pm 

Asphalt_World wrote:

ASTONISHING!

Single camera scenes that go on forever and no need for endless drone shots of landscapes. You live the film as the main two characters. I don't get close to tears in movies very easily, but I came close in this. Brilliantly moving with the trench scene near the end, (No spoilers coming up.) a real moment of OMG. The World Wars really were truly as bad as we're all told it is and we must never let this be forgotten.

If you watch nothing else at the cinema this year, watch this.

I watched it last night. Very well done, camera work and the scenery are amazing. You can tell some of the scenes that they "stitched" together in order to create the long camera scenes (think long scenes like "Children of men" if you've watched it), but it took nothing out of the movie.

A bit of "private Ryan" going on there, but in any case, it truly shows the horrible face of the war (apparently the movie is consisted of true stories from the war that the director's grandfather told him). We got out of the cinema thinking how all these entitled kids wining on tweeter would have loved it if they were born around 1900...

I giggled a bit with your "no spoilers coming up", as I talked to a friend about it and she said "I don't need spoilers, we all know how the war ends"!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:27 am 

Anybody else watched Parasite?

I have to say it's one of my favourite foreign films. The plot, acting and directing are superb, it literally leaves you on tenterhooks from the halfway point and you have no idea how it's going to end.

A deserved Oscar winner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:29 am 

MistaVega23 wrote:

I have to say it's one of my favourite foreign films. The plot, acting and directing are superb, it literally leaves you on tenterhooks from the halfway point and you have no idea how it's going to end.

A deserved Oscar winner.

Yes, loved it. It does indeed have a point that the movie just changes and it is brilliant.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:18 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
MistaVega23 wrote:

A deserved Oscar winner.

Yes, loved it. It does indeed have a point that the movie just changes and it is brilliant.

Yeah it's one of the few movies I've managed to watch lately absolutely loves it, pretty much think about it every day...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:11 pm 

A Quiet Place (it's on UK Netflix).

In many ways, it's a bloody masterpiece. It's like someone saw that Buffy episode "Hush" where there is a good 15 or so minutes without any dialogue and decided to go nuts with it. The first word isn't spoken until about 38 mins in. It's all about being quiet. John "Jim Halpert"* Krasinski does a great job as director, though I'm not overly sure I really can tell an okay director from a great one, I could maybe tell an awful one from a great one but I'm not into movies that way and tend to be rather dense about that side of things. The movie does a fantastic job about building tension. Several long scenes have you right in that zone and it's great.

However, the last 5 seconds... pretty much ruined the movie for me. I kid you not, they killed it for me. I do not think I've ever had this degree of emotional whiplash over a movie.

Regardless, I'd recommend it as I think it is rather interesting as a concept. It's not stay-with-you-scary for those that don't like that sort of thing, just short term tension kinda scary. I still enjoyed it overall despite the ending.

* He did 9 seasons of The Office (U.S)