planetf1.com

It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:36 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:33 am 

Just trying to gauge if the hopes for Kimi's return are as high as they were for Schumacher's? Kimi never actually "retired" so it is a little different in some ways. Plus he was away for a shorter period of time and was still racing, and didn't break his neck either.
But I'm a little surprised at how high up some are ranking Lotus despite their limited testing, and wondering if it is partly wishful thinking for Kimi's comeback.
On a side note, back to the neck issue, I noticed a couple times after Kimi signed with Lotus, he mentioned the importance of neck fitness, almost seemed like it could be the deal breaker on the fitness front for F1 drivers. Maybe I'm making too much of it, but the second time he mentioned it I started wondering if maybe Schumacher's neck took longer to recover than thought.
Anyway, glad to have them both back, hopefully both in competitive machinery!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:56 am 

Schumachers comeback wasent very good, but I think Kimi will be strong this year, he is in a very strong car! :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:00 am 

virtuallynobody wrote:
Just trying to gauge if the hopes for Kimi's return are as high as they were for Schumacher's? Kimi never actually "retired" so it is a little different in some ways. Plus he was away for a shorter period of time and was still racing, and didn't break his neck either.
But I'm a little surprised at how high up some are ranking Lotus despite their limited testing, and wondering if it is partly wishful thinking for Kimi's comeback.
On a side note, back to the neck issue, I noticed a couple times after Kimi signed with Lotus, he mentioned the importance of neck fitness, almost seemed like it could be the deal breaker on the fitness front for F1 drivers. Maybe I'm making too much of it, but the second time he mentioned it I started wondering if maybe Schumacher's neck took longer to recover than thought.

Links to both the said articles, please. thank you. :)

The pecking order won't be entirely clear until Qualifying Melbourne. Loads of press articles may be written about who is probably fastest; but until everyone is on minimum fuel.. you can never tell.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:09 am 

While I'm a huge Kimi fan, I'm also a realist. Although some of the more rabid fans might be predicting a mighty year for the Finn, I think it will only be a middling kind of season for him. Yes the Lotus seems like it could start the season on par with last years car, and hopefully they'll be able to continue to develop it throughout the season this time, but I don't see it as being more than the 4th fastest car on the grid. So I can't really see him higher than 6th at the end of the season unless the Scuderia has built an absolutely horrible car that cannot be developed rapidly, even then 5th will be tops. And should they be behind both Mercedes, and Ferrari, then drop both of those numbers by 2. Of course I will hope for more, but won't expect it.

On the other hand, Schumacher was a legend before he was run out of Ferrari, and returned to the team that won both titles the year before, so people had some pretty high expectations. Unfortunately for the true believers, Michael is around 10 years older than Kimi, had hurt his neck motorcycle racing, and the team ran the previous season on the fumes of Hondas money, therefore was not able to build a car to follow up the title run with.

So if you take into account that some of the expectations for Kimi have been tempered by Micheals lack of results. I'd think it would be safe to say that the expectations were much higher 2 years ago when Schumacher returned.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:17 am 

RaggedMan wrote:
While I'm a huge Kimi fan, I'm also a realist. Although some of the more rabid fans might be predicting a mighty year for the Finn, I think it will only be a middling kind of season for him. Yes the Lotus seems like it could start the season on par with last years car, and hopefully they'll be able to continue to develop it throughout the season this time, but I don't see it as being more than the 4th fastest car on the grid. So I can't really see him higher than 6th at the end of the season unless the Scuderia has built an absolutely horrible car that cannot be developed rapidly, even then 5th will be tops. And should they be behind both Mercedes, and Ferrari, then drop both of those numbers by 2. Of course I will hope for more, but won't expect it.

On the other hand, Schumacher was a legend before he was run out of Ferrari, and returned to the team that won both titles the year before, so people had some pretty high expectations. Unfortunately for the true believers, Michael is around 10 years older than Kimi, had hurt his neck motorcycle racing, and the team ran the previous season on the fumes of Hondas money, therefore was not able to build a car to follow up the title run with.

So if you take into account that some of the expectations for Kimi have been tempered by Micheals lack of results. I'd think it would be safe to say that the expectations were much higher 2 years ago when Schumacher returned.

/end thread. very well summarized. :thumbup: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:13 am 

Schumacher quit racing for three years and did nothing apart from maybe testing a few Ferrari road cars while he was still linked to the company as well as a very short stint with motorcycles (and just for fun!). Meanwhile Kimi was still doing some form of racing during the time he spent away from F1, not to mention he's younger and therefore more able to recover. This is why I think Kimi will suffer less in his recovery than Schumacher did.

But I'm not expecting Kimi to become a front-runner anytime soon. The car is good but obviously won't challenge the Red Bulls and McLarens, and Grosjean also set some quick times in testing. He might have his hands full this year. Getting up to speed is the biggest concern... Stuff like DRS is easy to learn, and he already dealt with KERS at Ferrari in 2009.

"Ask any racer, any real racer... It don't matter if you win by an inch or a mile. Winning is winning." (Dominic Toretto, "The Fast and The Furious")

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:44 am 

Regardless of the semantics of what 'comeback' can actually refer too....

I have higher hopes for Kimi. Michael's age and amount of time out of the sport meant that I never had particularly high hopes in the first place.

Kimi on the hand is still relatively young and if the change of scene has given him the break away from the corporate side that he obviously isn't too enamoured with that he needed then he should be able to get back in and show why he was arguably the outright quickest driver in the past decade. I'm not expecting wins but certainly some tigerish performances and to outshine his team-mate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:06 pm 

I think Kimi will do well on his return, Lotus car looks good, I think regular podiums are a strong possibility in the first few races, question is can Lotus develop the car as the season progresses?

The front exhaust gamble hindered them in that respect last year, but even so they really fell down the order at an alarming rate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:14 pm 

Kimi will be ok. He was still professional rally driver, while Schumacher did few hobby races and Schumacher is some 10 years older than Kimi. Kimi will find it easier to adapt to F1, but still few first races may be difficult to him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:38 pm 
RaggedMan wrote:

But isn't that a good thing? If at the end of the season Kimi finished 6th, to me that means he took his car as far as it could go, that he lived up to the car's potential. If the Lotus winds up being the fourth best car of the season, getting 6th is both realistic and a job well done.

One way to judge a driver over the course of a season is to compare his numbers against the potential of the car. If it was the best car, a realistic expectation is that finishing first is excellent, second OK, and third as a poor performance. Same with the second best car, finishing second is a miracle, third a job well done, fourth barely a passing grade, and anything less as a poor job.

If Kimi finishes 6th and the Lotus can be judged to be the fourth best car over the course of the season, that is a job well done, a successful return to Formula One.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:39 pm 

MS is too old. He is 42. He may be more fit than most people in their teens and 20's :? but he is getting old for F1. For 3yrs he did nothing as well. Vettel won't be able to drive like he did last year after taking 3yrs break and returning at 40 or any driver at his peak for that matter and compete against other top guys :-|

Kimi is only 32. He left F1 at 30 due to unsual circumstances but still did rally in between. Unlike most people, who think Kimi is lazy and likes to party and stuff. He loves driving cars fast. In fact faster than anyone else in this world. He may struggle early on but will back to normal I think in 2nd half of season for sure if not early :)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:32 pm 

ferrarirocks wrote:
virtuallynobody wrote:

Links to both the said articles, please. thank you. :)

I think these links should be in chronological order,
http://ghiaccioinvisibile.wordpress.com ... o09012012/
http://top.motorsport.com/2012-01-10/f1 ... er-arnall/
http://www.f1zone.net/news/lotus-impres ... mes/11717/
http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/new ... kkonen-Q-A

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:28 am 

Michael certainly held greater expectation upon his return and more fan interest.
Kimi held the positive response to his return and has elevated Lotus beyond it's capability.
Both are welcomed back by me tho I favor Michael and love his new attitude and openess to the public. He will win races if he has the car, before kimi.
I await to see the results of kimi's return which I believe will be much easier than Michaels, less is expected of Kimi outright, MS was under incredible pressure and deserved a better car for his return, bad move by Mercedes, shame on them!