Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:24 pm 

pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Jezza13 wrote:
On a touch of personal irony, i've been stuck at home with the flu since Wednesday & my employer is refusing to allow me to return to work until i've been tested & cleared of Carona virus (which in itself is a major story). This year would've been the first year since I can remember where I would've been able to watch the Friday sessions live. Such a downer.

On the plus side though, for the first time in 12 days I was able to wander into my local supermarket get my hands on a luxurious 24 pack of 3 ply dunny roll so, yeah, silver linings & all that.

What is it with people running out to buy toilet paper? :lol:

Well, people aren't panic buying because they think the world is going to end yet and there are always plenty of options on food even if it's not your favourite. It would take a lot to completely empty a supermarket of food - but toilet roll only has a limited supply due to the space it takes up, so supermarkets can't afford to overstock because they would be wasting money on storage. The space issue also causes a restock issue, combined with the fact the toilet roll companies don't want to pay for a bunch of overtime now and then have a few weeks of unproductive work because suddenly no one can buy because everyone is playing toilet roll Minecraft in their living room.

So while there are more important things for survival than toilet roll, at the moment people aren't feeling like we are about to turn to Mad Max. However there are stages between civilisation and Mad Max, and one of those steps is when you suddenly have to find an alternative to what you would usually use toilet paper for - and if you run out of toilet paper then you get to that stage sooner than you would like - so everyone is trying to make sure they don't run out, or have to go on a 2 week quest to find somewhere that has toilet paper in stock.

It's not a survival panic buying - it's a maintaining the modern comforts panic buying.

However, Japan had it's toilet roll rush 2 weeks ago and I have started to see it on the shelves in the hardware stores now (supermarkets don't really sell it there)

Well Japan have a different solution to that, right?

Different types of toilet?

Siao7 is referring to the butt showers built into every Japanese toilet (which is what the Japanese printed on the control panel literally translates to).

Japanese people don't use that as an alternative, just as a device for getting a more thorough clean. They get through just as much - if not more due to it being nearly all single ply - than Westerners do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:33 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Well, people aren't panic buying because they think the world is going to end yet and there are always plenty of options on food even if it's not your favourite. It would take a lot to completely empty a supermarket of food - but toilet roll only has a limited supply due to the space it takes up, so supermarkets can't afford to overstock because they would be wasting money on storage. The space issue also causes a restock issue, combined with the fact the toilet roll companies don't want to pay for a bunch of overtime now and then have a few weeks of unproductive work because suddenly no one can buy because everyone is playing toilet roll Minecraft in their living room.

So while there are more important things for survival than toilet roll, at the moment people aren't feeling like we are about to turn to Mad Max. However there are stages between civilisation and Mad Max, and one of those steps is when you suddenly have to find an alternative to what you would usually use toilet paper for - and if you run out of toilet paper then you get to that stage sooner than you would like - so everyone is trying to make sure they don't run out, or have to go on a 2 week quest to find somewhere that has toilet paper in stock.

It's not a survival panic buying - it's a maintaining the modern comforts panic buying.

However, Japan had it's toilet roll rush 2 weeks ago and I have started to see it on the shelves in the hardware stores now (supermarkets don't really sell it there)

Siao7 is referring to the butt showers built into every Japanese toilet (which is what the Japanese printed on the control panel literally translates to).

Japanese people don't use that as an alternative, just as a device for getting a more thorough clean. They get through just as much - if not more due to it being nearly all single ply - than Westerners do.

True. I've never been there, but apparently it is a magnificent solution! I love the translation as well Alien!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:43 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:

True. I've never been there, but apparently it is a magnificent solution! I love the translation as well Alien!!!

Funny story as to how I learned this

So the control panel usually has English and Japanese printed on it. By the icon for the bidet in our apartment, it had: "おしり shower" written on it. I had been learning hiragana so correctly deduced おしり read as "oshiri" - I therefore determined oshiri must mean shower.

So the next day after breakfast, in an effort to impress her with my Japanese learning skills, I said to my wife "I'm just going to have an oshiri before we go out" - at which point, after a predictable reaction, she informed me that oshiri actually means butt.

I guess it's a good job there's no longer an Australian Grand Prix or this would be way way off topic...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:57 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:

Funny story as to how I learned this

So the control panel usually has English and Japanese printed on it. By the icon for the bidet in our apartment, it had: "おしり shower" written on it. I had been learning hiragana so correctly deduced おしり read as "oshiri" - I therefore determined oshiri must mean shower.

So the next day after breakfast, in an effort to impress her with my Japanese learning skills, I said to my wife "I'm just going to have an oshiri before we go out" - at which point, after a predictable reaction, she informed me that oshiri actually means butt.

I guess it's a good job there's no longer an Australian Grand Prix or this would be way way off topic...

I know what you mean, nice story! My wife is also from another country and I ended up insulting her when trying to impress her with my Hungarian... Makes for some funny conversations!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:23 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
pokerman wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
Alienturnedhuman wrote:
pokerman wrote:

Fair enough, so it doesn't get the job done on it's own. :)

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)