planetf1.com

It is currently Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:05 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:26 pm 

I always thought this would be a way to bring more convergence and the teams closer. It could be something as simple as top 3 constructors Merc/Red Bull/Ferrari are banned from in-season testing but the others can have a certain number of days a month. I was just reading Claire Williams's comments this morning and I think she's right - F1 needs more testing days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:34 pm 

In theory I probably would, but I imagine a lot of the 'B' teams would suddenly be testing a lot of additional parts that just happen to have crossover benefit for whoever is bankrolling them.

There is the cost factor too, the whole limited testing thing came about because it was too expensive for the small teams to even attempt to test as often as the big boys.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:59 pm 

Well, someone commented on racefans on what Williams had said and their suggestion seems quite popular:

https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/27/six ... -williams/

Basically saying the top 3 teams from the constructors the previous year all get just 3 days, with the other team getting an increased amount of days the lower down they finish. Getting to Williams with 10 who really could do with more time. I certainly think this would work pretty well to give lower teams more of an opportunity.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:27 pm 

TheGiantHogweed wrote:
Well, someone commented on racefans on what Williams had said and their suggestion seems quite popular:

https://www.racefans.net/2020/02/27/six ... -williams/

Basically saying the top 3 teams from the constructors the previous year all get just 3 days, with the other team getting an increased amount of days the lower down they finish. Getting to Williams with 10 who really could do with more time. I certainly think this would work pretty well to give lower teams more of an opportunity.

I think the costs would make this impossible for smaller teams. Besides, the big teams could then just spend what they'd saved on more sim-work or whatever else they wanted instead, so the gains for the minnows wouldn't be as big as it might seem.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:56 pm 

I thought testing was supposed to be expensive, the smaller teams complain about the expense of F1 but then are happy to spend more money if that gives them an advantage over some other teams, or am I totally missing the point?

2013: 5th Place
2014: Champion
2015: 3rd Place
2016: 4th Place

2017: 9th Place
2018: 7th place

Wins: Canada 2018, Abu Dhabi 2017
Podiums: (8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:56 pm 

I'm not sure. Testing was cut down in the first place to help the smaller teams. I'm not convinced Williams would actually use an extra 10 days testing even if they were allowed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:15 pm 

In theory it sounds good, but realistically the smaller teams are usually smaller because they have less cash to spend, so more testing, would cost more....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:48 pm 

If Claire says this then it means that with a given budget, they'd get more performance from using a larger portion of it for testing than they do currently. Wouldn't necessarily mean it would get more expensive, just a wiser distribution of their funds?

PF1 Pick 10 Competition 2016: CHAMPION (2 wins, 8 podiums)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:36 pm 

The testing costs could be cut down if similar to Abu Dhabi in-season testing the extra testing days are just an additional day during the GP weekend - either a Thursday (before) or Monday (after) for example. I think the Thursday before would be interesting because the smaller teams would be much closer to the big 3 teams in qualifying and the race as a result of having an extra day.

Fans would be happy because it would give them an extra day to watch.

Sponsors would be happy because their teams get more airtime and overall the sport would be a lot closer and tighter.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:08 pm 

Yes. I think smaller teams or teams with the least amount of points should be allowed extra test days during the season. The bottom 3 teams in terms of points get and extra day of testing. Say on a Monday after a race weekend. Maybe have 3 of these per season. This would give young drivers a chance behind the wheel as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:13 pm 

shay550 wrote:
The testing costs could be cut down if similar to Abu Dhabi in-season testing the extra testing days are just an additional day during the GP weekend - either a Thursday (before) or Monday (after) for example. I think the Thursday before would be interesting because the smaller teams would be much closer to the big 3 teams in qualifying and the race as a result of having an extra day.

Sponsors would be happy because their teams get more airtime and overall the sport would be a lot closer and tighter.

Genuine question, do people actually go to watch these? What would be the point?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:17 pm 

Siao7 wrote:
shay550 wrote:

Genuine question, do people actually go to watch these? What would be the point?
I believe they do. And I guess the point is, if you love Formula One but can't afford to buy tickets for an actual race weekend, then at least it gives you a chance to see F1 cars in the flesh?

I stopped going to GPs in 2005. Not because I couldn't afford it really but because I was not prepared to pay the £250+ each for the weekend tickets.

I do quite like the idea someone on that racefans article suggested, about staggering the number of test days based on where you finish the previous year:-

racefans comments wrote:
Or band it so the top 3 all have 3 days, 4th and 5th get 5, 6th to 8th have 8 and 9th and 10th get 10. Then have some more in season tests, with young driver stipulations…

That way you can use the current two weeks of testing still so no extra freight costs etc, just limiting certain teams to only be allowed to use a limited number of days. You could even let the "limited" teams choose what days out of the ten they wanted to run, so the top teams don't lose out if the day is rained off?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:28 pm 

SteveW wrote:
Siao7 wrote:
shay550 wrote:

I believe they do. And I guess the point is, if you love Formula One but can't afford to buy tickets for an actual race weekend, then at least it gives you a chance to see F1 cars in the flesh?

I stopped going to GPs in 2005. Not because I couldn't afford it really but because I was not prepared to pay the £250+ each for the weekend tickets.

Fair enough. I did not consider this, I just found it pointless to see cars racing randomly, sometimes track being empty for a very long period, not to full speed with unknown fuel weights, etc. But you make a very good point, thank you

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:43 pm 

No. All the teams should compete to the same rules and on a level playing field. Why not address the real reason the teams are so unequal?

This idea is from the same sort of logic that gave us DRS.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:00 pm 

Perhaps the smaller / less achieving teams should be allowed more test time at race weekends. They often find it harder to dial their cars in so a bit more time could make a bit of a difference for them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:35 am 

Williams were retiring cars due to a lack of parts last year. Clare Williams lives on another planet, she needs to double the staff and treble the budget if they want to get anywhere near the big3. If it wasn't for the insane power advantage the initial Mercedes hybrid offered at the start of the current era they would have been irrelevant for over a decade

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:09 am 

Zazu wrote:
Williams were retiring cars due to a lack of parts last year. Clare Williams lives on another planet, she needs to double the staff and treble the budget if they want to get anywhere near the big3. If it wasn't for the insane power advantage the initial Mercedes hybrid offered at the start of the current era they would have been irrelevant for over a decade

I don't think that's really fair. In 2014 they had the same PU as McLaren and were far better. Force India had the Mercedes engine as well and were back in the midfield.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:14 am 

Zazu wrote:

You make it sound so simple! Rather easier said than done I feel, Claire can't exactly snap her fingers and make millions appear.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:18 am 

j man wrote:
No. All the teams should compete to the same rules and on a level playing field. Why not address the real reason the teams are so unequal?

This idea is from the same sort of logic that gave us DRS.

I am 100% in agreement.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:39 pm 

This whole limit on testing days really sets my off. We started off saying testing days should be limited due to costs, then the teams built Sims and spent hundreds of millions to keep testing virtually, then they cut these days as well. All the while reducing track days, and understanding that track days could be access to race fans via attendance ( paid or free) or live streaming or through cable TV ( sky sports, espn etc). We also lost the race weekend that in today world with better technology, better equipment we could have ensured that testing is used not only to test speed and new set ups it s for new hardware, components that can be tested on track that you can't test in Sim. The brakes, the seals, gaskets, all the things you cant test in Sim. We should go back to unlimited testing, make sure they are open like testing days in Spain...more access to fans, more discussions by pundints and overall better show, better chance that race cars can go flat out on weekends rather than the stupid racing we have today. We have a spec series, tires are the key these days and tires makes this a spec series, imagine what we could do with unlimited testing escpecially around tires...I miss the days of testing the costs are not much more than today if anyone cared to do the math. I bet its the same ore even less back then adjusted for inflation etc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:46 pm 

Why not just allow the smaller teams additional testing at tracks close to their home facility /factory just like they used to do years ago as this would keep their costs down making testing more feasible . Test hours could be allotted based on constructor points and or budget and include F1 approval and oversight .