It is currently Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:56 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read the forum rules

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:20 am 

https://www.gptoday.net/en/live/f1/2452 ... st-in-2019

https://www.autosport.com/f1/live/28537 ... y-one-2019

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:22 am 

Looks like both Red Bull and Renault stopped in the pit lane just as they left the garage.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:36 am 

First images of SF90

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:43 am 

Here are few of the Mercedes...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:42 am 

So they're within a second of last year's Day 1 testing times, so don't appear too much slower, although it's early days. Kimi just a few hundredths off former team mate Seb's pace-setting time. Any bets he's pushing like crazy to beat him? :twisted:

And McLaren in 3rd. Savour the moment, doubt it will last!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:52 am 

RP19 looking good:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:21 am 

Zoue wrote:
So they're within a second of last year's Day 1 testing times, so don't appear too much slower

And at this point, first morning of the first test, they're already a full second faster than last year's day 1 testing. So on the C2 compound, the second hardest, only 2 seconds slower than the fastest time last year which was set on the softest compound.

Kind of hinting at cars that will be almost as fast as last year and that's taking it conservatively...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:34 am 

mds wrote:
Zoue wrote:
So they're within a second of last year's Day 1 testing times, so don't appear too much slower

And at this point, first morning of the first test, they're already a full second faster than last year's day 1 testing. So on the C2 compound, the second hardest, only 2 seconds slower than the fastest time last year which was set on the softest compound.

Kind of hinting at cars that will be almost as fast as last year and that's taking it conservatively...

Bear in mind that conditions are much better for the first test this year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:38 am 

Not bad looking here:

Source - https://scontent.fbom16-1.fna.fbcdn.net ... e=5D286155

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:40 am 

Exediron wrote:
mds wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Consulting ambient temperatures, temperatures were pretty comparable between this 1:19.1 and last year's 1:17.1. So given the harder compound and given that they're probably not anywhere near full beans yet (as is customary in testing), I think there's valid reason to think they won't be all that much slower this year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:41 am 

UnlikeUday wrote:
Not bad looking here:

I don't like the RP livery. Too much going on.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:43 am 

mds wrote:
Exediron wrote:
mds wrote:
Zoue wrote:

Consulting ambient temperatures, temperatures were pretty comparable between this 1:19.1 and last year's 1:17.1. So given the harder compound and given that they're probably not anywhere near full beans yet (as is customary in testing), I think there's valid reason to think they won't be all that much slower this year.

Having said this - 1:18.4 on the C3 compound (middle of the range).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:53 am 

mds wrote:
UnlikeUday wrote:
Not bad looking here:

I don't like the RP livery. Too much going on.

Yeah I don't find it appealing at any angle.

Vying with Williams for worst livery in my book.

Non RB, Merc, Ferrari podiums won in Hybrid era - 363 trophies available, 26 won

2017 WCC CPTTC - Jalopy Racing (Herb & Me)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:18 am 

Encouraging for McLaren. 4th so far and setting some respectable times

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:21 am 

Ferrari looks majestic.That front wing is one of the most visually pleasing I can remember seeing, and it seems to be working pretty well too. By comparison, Merc's front wing looks like a snowplow. :P

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:26 am 

mikeyg123 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Has there been a modern example of a team missing the forst day of testing or even the first test and going onto a good season?

Brawn GP.

Exactly. Nothing to worry about. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:39 am 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Has there been a modern example of a team missing the forst day of testing or even the first test and going onto a good season?

Brawn GP.

I remember when people were sure that they are driving the underweight car to make impression on potential sponsors xD

Not gonna happen again though xD There are already rumors that Williams will miss Tomorrow as well...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:51 am 

Mayox wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

Brawn GP.

I remember when people were sure that they are driving the underweight car to make impression on potential sponsors xD

Not gonna happen again though xD There are already rumors that Williams will miss Tomorrow as well...

It's a question of logistics. If the car hasn't left the factory yet then it's hard to see how it could get there and be ready for testing by tomorrow morning at least. Transporting from Grove to Barcelona will take 12-15 hours at least

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:06 pm 

Productive first morning for Ferrari and Mercedes.
Good promise on how fast the cars will be - just 2 seconds slower than last year's pole with a track hardly rubbered in and on the C3 compound.

Honda teams off to a slow start this morning but reasonable after that.

Number of laps per team:
SF90 72
W10 69
RS19 64
MCL34 56
RB15 52
AR1 46
STR14 35
RP19 20
VF-19 18

Number of laps per PU:
Ferrari 136
Renault 120
Mercedes 89
Honda 87

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:07 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Mayox wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
mikeyg123 wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:

Brawn GP.

It's a question of logistics. If the car hasn't left the factory yet then it's hard to see how it could get there and be ready for testing by tomorrow morning at least. Transporting from Grove to Barcelona will take 12-15 hours at least

Sure the car hasn't left the factory? I watched a seemingly assembled car (under covers, but clearly with rear & front wing & engine cover on) being wheeled into their pit box.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:10 pm 

So Ferrari look pretty quick, but according to SKY the Mercedes and Red Bulls looked like they were carrying heavier fuel loads and of course they were on the slower tyres. Racing Point also looked impressive and all the engine "Works" teams - plus one customer each for Ferrari and Renault - managed 50+ laps, which is encouraging from a reliability point of view (especially for Honda!).

Edit: Autosport have just updated and reduced Kimi's laps to 46 (from 51), so McLaren just missed that particular cut!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:26 pm 

Number of laps tends to be more important than times to begin with so you'd have to say its looking very good for Ferrari and Mercedes (no surprises) but also Renault are right up there in lap count. I really hope they can take the step up this year and give us a season long battle between Red Bull & Renault, as I cant see either being legitimate threats to Ferrari or Mercedes for the title.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:31 pm 

Claire Williams, Deputy Team Principal, ROKiT Williams Racing: “It is looking more likely than not that we will now not be in a position to run on track until Wednesday at the earliest. This is obviously extremely disappointing, but it is unfortunately the situation we are in. We will be getting the FW42 on track as soon as we are able.”

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:55 pm 

Black_Flag_11 wrote:
Number of laps tends to be more important than times to begin with so you'd have to say its looking very good for Ferrari and Mercedes (no surprises) but also Renault are right up there in lap count. I really hope they can take the step up this year and give us a season long battle between Red Bull & Renault, as I cant see either being legitimate threats to Ferrari or Mercedes for the title.

agree number of laps is pretty important at this stage, although it has to be said Ferrari look quite impressive for topping both lap times and number! Regarding the battle between Red Bull and Renault, the fact that McLaren split them suggests that could be more than a 2-way fight!

Last edited by Zoue on Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:55 pm 

Mayox wrote:
Claire Williams, Deputy Team Principal, ROKiT Williams Racing: “It is looking more likely than not that we will now not be in a position to run on track until Wednesday at the earliest. This is obviously extremely disappointing, but it is unfortunately the situation we are in. We will be getting the FW42 on track as soon as we are able.”

This Williams decline is starting to look terminal. It boggles the mind how a team with the facilities of Williams are messing this up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

agree number of laps is pretty important at this stage, although it has to be said Ferrari look quite impressive for topping both lap times and number! Regarding the battle between Red Bull and Renault, the fact that McLaren split them suggests that could be more than a 2-way fight!

No I don't agree, their times don't suggest anything at this point. They're 2 to almost 3 seconds off from what Vettel has been doing, which means that they aren't close to giving it full beans and their times are utterly meaningless.

Only clue one might draw from this morning, and that's going by Ferrari's time, is that the 2019 cars will be plenty fast still.

edit: I mean, you're not wrong in that it could be more than a 2-way fight, but in the sense that at this point everything is possible, the times don't add to nor deter from that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:01 pm 

Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

Yeah an 18.1 is pretty good for a first day time, especially when the front wing downgrade is supposedly losing 1.5 seconds. Means they're pretty much already close to last year's pole time.

Based on very early impressions I'd say that the gains made over the winter in other areas are going to overcome the loss from the front wing and they're not going to be any slower than last year. Could be quicker.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:04 pm 

From seeing the cars, can anyone give their judgement on how the midfield will shape us? I know it's too early to make conclusions bu am sure there are technical wizards here with a keen eye.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:11 pm 

mds wrote:
Zoue wrote:
Black_Flag_11 wrote:

No I don't agree, their times don't suggest anything at this point. They're 2 to almost 3 seconds off from what Vettel has been doing, which means that they aren't close to giving it full beans and their times are utterly meaningless.

Only clue one might draw from this morning, and that's going by Ferrari's time, is that the 2019 cars will be plenty fast still.

edit: I mean, you're not wrong in that it could be more than a 2-way fight, but in the sense that at this point everything is possible, the times don't add to nor deter from that.

I do agree it's pointless to try to read too much into the times. And it's early days so I'll bet pretty much everyone will be turning up the wick over the next couple of days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:38 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:
Mayox wrote:

This Williams decline is starting to look terminal. It boggles the mind how a team with the facilities of Williams are messing this up.

Yeah, after such a season and so hard reputation blow they now didn't manage to build a car in half a year... I doubt they will drive at all at this Barcelona tests...Probably will start from next session and will be worst by far. They are looking like a bunch of amateurs right now, disgrace for a team with this kind of history

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:02 pm 

Red flag number three of the day. We think it's Carlos Sainz in the McLaren this time.
@GPToday

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:04 pm 

The cars mostly look a lot better in the flesh than on their CGI reveals, apart from the Ferrari, which looks great, except that it appears someone quickly used the dark grey flood-fill tool in MS Paint on a bunch of white parts of the livery.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm 

Alienturnedhuman wrote:
The cars mostly look a lot better in the flesh than on their CGI reveals, apart from the Ferrari, which looks great, except that it appears someone quickly used the dark grey flood-fill tool in MS Paint on a bunch of white parts of the livery.

I think it looks too orange as well, to be honest.

Ferrari have now surpassed the 100 lap mark, and the Ferrari PU is up to 178.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:12 pm 

15:09 Updated lap counts with more than an hour of the afternoon session down:

Vettel - 101
Bottas - 69
Hulkenberg - 65
Sainz - 58
Verstappen - 57
Raikkonen - 56
Kvyat - 35
Perez - 25
Grosjean - 18
Hamilton - 12
Ricciardo - 1

@Autosport

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:18 pm 

Uffman wrote:
15:09 Updated lap counts with more than an hour of the afternoon session down:

Vettel - 101
Bottas - 69
Hulkenberg - 65
Sainz - 58
Verstappen - 57
Raikkonen - 56
Kvyat - 35
Perez - 25
Grosjean - 18
Hamilton - 12
Ricciardo - 1

@Autosport

Ricciardo - 1

Is this correct? Do they have any issues? I haven't followed it so much this year

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:22 pm 

Mayox wrote:
BMWSauber84 wrote:
Mayox wrote:

Yeah, after such a season and so hard reputation blow they now didn't manage to build a car in half a year... I doubt they will drive at all at this Barcelona tests...Probably will start from next session and will be worst by far. They are looking like a bunch of amateurs right now, disgrace for a team with this kind of history

Ansrew Benson is now saying that insiders at Williams reckon the new car could be 2 seconds a lap slower than last years car. Seriously worrying if there's any truth to it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:34 pm 

BMWSauber84 wrote:

Ansrew Benson is now saying that insiders at Williams reckon the new car could be 2 seconds a lap slower than last years car. Seriously worrying if there's any truth to it.

That would be absolutely bizarre but if any team would be able to achieve this - it's current Williams. Thanks God Frank liked the light blue on the car, otherwise he would fire Claire xD

Wondering what about the sponsors... I'm pretty sure they were expecting pics and videos with their logos on F1 car flying all over the world Today... they paid a lot for this in fact...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:20 pm 

Gut feeling: Ferrari might be fastest of all and Alfa Romeo might be fastest of the midfield this year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:28 pm 

Is it true Alfa are putting in 250m to the budget this year*? That would be mental from Fiat considering the half billion already going to Ferrari.

If true then yeah they could lead the midfield assuming the top 3 are still in their own Sport. They'd have similar chassis budget to Macca and Renault but a far better engine so even if they lagged a bit chassis wise they'd still be competitive.

*Mentioned on Sky earlier.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:46 pm 

Lotus49 wrote:
Is it true Alfa are putting in 250m to the budget this year*? That would be mental from Fiat considering the half billion already going to Ferrari.

If true then yeah they could lead the midfield assuming the top 3 are still in their own Sport. They'd have similar chassis budget to Macca and Renault but a far better engine so even if they lagged a bit chassis wise they'd still be competitive.

*Mentioned on Sky earlier.

I'm not 100% sure about their budget but I will keep my eyes open for confirmation of that. But yeah, one of the other big advantages that they have over the other midfield teams is their closeness to Ferrari. That partnership has taken them to the next level.